• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
And cost more than a PS5 itself for a 4TB Gen 4 Nvme!
As I discovered yesterday when I was preparing my new PS5. I thought I'd see how much a 4TB SSD was, so that I'd have no space issues in the future. Oh dear. Looks like I'm sticking with the external drive from my PS4 🤣

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I think I'm gonna do it.

There's a lot of PS5 games I just want to keep on here. For example all the Resident Evils. Deleted Demon Souls for space which feels bad. At one point I wanted to jump into Death Stranding on a whim lol but deleted that for the more current games.

Ragnarok and Last of Us Part 1 are coming and that's more space I'd have to free up.

I think 1.6 TB of games at all times should be good enough for the rotation.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna do it.

There's a lot of PS5 games I just want to keep on here. For example all the Resident Evils. Deleted Demon Souls for space which feels bad. At one point I wanted to jump into Death Stranding on a whim lol but deleted that for the more current games.

Ragnarok and Last of Us Part 1 are coming and that's more space I'd have to free up.

I think 1.6 TB of games at all times should be good enough for the rotation.

Yeah, I have PS Plus and I keep downloading games, playing for a bit and moving on, while planning on going back to those games later, but I keep having to delete some for space. haha.

So I assume you are going with 1 TB extra?

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
One thing to bear in mind is that if you have or are planning to get full fibre (1 gig or so) soon then you really don't need more than 2tb total (1tb expansion), as you can delete and then download full games in 10 mins. Download speeds are great.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone able to open OP link for Silicon Power 4TB XS70? It doesn't appear to me

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I bought a 2TB SN850
Great so far
I love not needing to move games to HDD and wait for 30 mins when I wanna play something new
Also helps that all my PS5 games can update now now that they are all in SSD
Made the overall experience a lot better

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Time for the dremel then. Haven't seen a replacement door with holes. Just heatsinks that replace it.

Thats why I got a plain SSD.

Honestly I'd recommend the P41. I would have if I hadn't managed to get the 980 Pro from a price error at Best Buy.

www.tomshardware.com

SK hynix Platinum P41 SSD Review: The Best Around (Updated)

The fitting successor to the popular Gold P31 is finally here

ineo PS5 Heatsink, M.2 NVME SSD Heatsink for PS5 Internal PCIe M.2 NVMe Gaming SSD, Magnesium Aluminum Alloy Designed with Large Heat Dissipation [M22] https://a.co/d/aD9coiV

This not only has a door with holes but also a freaking copper heat pipe hanging off the side.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need ones with heat sinks or naked ones? In the uk they have the WD black for £118 without heat sink and about £15 more with the sink

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently in the usa visiting my in laws. Glad this thread came up as I got my ps5 literally a day before I had to fly and already wanted to pick up a decent ssd for it.

Gonna probably grab one of the nextorage drives for mine, probably the 1tb one as that'll be fine for me. Works out to about £115 which isn't bad with the heatsink too. Think a friend is gonna want me to grab him one before I fly home too haha.

Cheers for the thread OP!

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Do you need ones with heat sinks or naked ones? In the uk they have the WD black for £118 without heat sink and about £15 more with the sink

I think most places online would at least strongly suggest getting the heatsink but not entirely sure it's outright required. If I was you I'd absolutely take the heatsink option to be safe.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think most places online would at least strongly suggest getting the heatsink but not entirely sure it's outright required. If I was you I'd absolutely take the heatsink option to be safe.

specifically for PS5 though, wasnt' sure if they allow space for heatsinks or some smaller ones are ok?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
specifically for PS5 though, wasnt' sure if they allow space for heatsinks or some smaller ones are ok?

www.techradar.com

PS5 SSD heatsink explained: what is it for and do you really need one?

To heatsink, or not to heatsink?

According to this Sony outright say yes to use one.

Edit: It does note DF used one without for a few weeks and noticed no issues but who knows if certain drives or issues may show up by doing so down the road. Of course Sony will suggest to use one even if it isn't outright required to cover their bases in the random event something bad happens if one without is used but I'd still use one just to be safe.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
www.techradar.com

PS5 SSD heatsink explained: what is it for and do you really need one?

To heatsink, or not to heatsink?

According to this Sony outright say yes to use one.

Edit: It does note DF used one without for a few weeks and noticed no issues but who knows if certain drives or issues may show up by doing so down the road. Of course Sony will suggest to use one even if it isn't outright required to cover their bases in the random event something bad happens if one without is used but I'd still use one just to be safe.

Thanks. One more thing to make sure fits. Assume big brands like WD ones will be fine

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
As I discovered yesterday when I was preparing my new PS5. I thought I'd see how much a 4TB SSD was, so that I'd have no space issues in the future. Oh dear. Looks like I'm sticking with the external drive from my PS4 🤣
Yep, pretty much. Gonna have to for a while until prices get cheaper for 4TB Nvmes!

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Deal is also happening in UK, so ordered a 1TB drive yesterday which I received and installed today, thank you OP!

little question, It was a WD one, I thought the speed was going to be 7000 but it's 6500something, is this still good?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
nascompares.com

Nextorage NEM-PA NVMe SSD Review & Benchmark - THE Sony & Phison Choice?

Review of the Nextorage NEM-PA PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD Why should you care about the Nextorage NEM-PA SSD? It is a reasonable question at the start of 2022, as it is fair to say that there are now quite a lot of SSDs available in the market that promise upwards and over 7,000MB/s. The hardware architec

That is a particularly good review of the Nextorage SSD.
Sonia this one available?
I think I want to pull the trigger on a 2TB drive..

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Crucial P5 Plus 1TB is £96.98 on Amazon at the moment. There are deals in this from time to time which includes a heatsink - so one to keep an eye out for with Prime day approaching. I managed to nab with heatsink for just over £80 in June.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I bought another 2TB from Currys because they had the 980 Pro with heatsink £70 cheaper than the drive without heatsink a few weeks ago, looks like it's back up to £289.99 now though

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I want to kinda buy one but I also want 2TB drives to drop significantly which is still gonna take a while…

Real talk, would a reliable 2TB drive for less than $150 be possible within a year?

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I want to kinda buy one but I also want 2TB drives to drop significantly which is still gonna take a while…

Real talk, would a reliable 2TB drive for less than $150 be possible within a year?

The ones that don't quite meet the ps5 specs probably will. I got one for 165 earlier this year. Otherwise it's probably going to be another year or two imo.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Is this one good for a PS5? Options are a bit diff in Canada.

Patriot Viper VPN110 2TB Internal SSD with Heatshield - NVMe PCIe Gen3 x 4 - M.2 2280 - Solid State Drive - VPN110-2TBM28H https://a.co/d/4nGYsSs

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm waiting for sub$500 4TB SSD sales or better TBH. Until then, won't upgrade my PS5 just yet

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
MSI SPATIUM M470 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen4 NVMe 1.3 3D NAND 3300 TBW (SPATIUM M470 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB) https://a.co/d/7YD4nra

$108 for 1TB from a good brand. It doesn't have the presentation of a cheap brand though despite the price.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought the ADATA 1 TB Blade for $99 on Bestbuy. Sub $100 was always my sweet spot for this

Do I need to buy another heat sink for this or is the small thin one that comes with it good enough? If I should buy another cheap one whats a good one?

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I refuse to pay more than 100 for the Xbox 1TB card. Back at launch they said we'd have options but nothing has come of that yet.

There seriously needs to be some new news about this. The gaming media hasn't written about it in awhile. I was hoping someone would to pressure them to talk about it.
There is no news about it because that is the intended result of proprietary storage options.

As much as I want (and need) one, I'm waiting until I can get them for $100 max.
Should be hitting that price by next year holiday sales.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
WD Black SN850 1TB with heatsink for £99.74 - seems to be a one day only price on Amazon. Crazy good price for the drive I think. Also the 2TB with heat sink is £177.99.

If you've been holding out - now's the time too buy!

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Nextorage is $110, very tempted to bite at this price. I won't have to switch this out for another 2-3 years.