• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree that Ps4 is a beast ?

• Yes

Votes: 870 69.7%
  • Don't read too much into the Ps4's sales

Votes: 256 20.5%
  • What took you so long?

Votes: 122 9.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aVgvS1p.gif

3LmWJ8D.gif

I can't believe this happened. I ordered from Amazon and it was shipped right to me. No running, no fighting.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
That's only 5% of 2 Billion, meh

Sony just got lucky like always that Microsoft failed with Xbox One and Nintendo with wiiu. Exactly like in ps3/ ps2/ ps1 era. Sony, the luckiest company ever confirmed.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I can't believe this happened. I ordered from Amazon and it was shipped right to me. No running, no fighting.
The only explanation I have is that those folks are impulse buyers who didn't expect the console to sell out that fast. Pre-orders have been also rather limited if I remember correctly. Still can't believe that's Germany out of all places. People are usually pretty ordinary here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
what's with all the weird downplaying, these numbers are fantastic

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
But those online preorders eventually ran out, and retailers keep part of the stock for instore purchase only. Big demand in the EU pushed early buyers to run to get the console on day1.

I think for PS5 launch there will be different systems, better lines and guaranteed console for people who show up early.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Very well deserved. The only thing I hate about the PS4 is the noise it makes. Otherwise a great console.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
To me PS3 was better but it could be because i dont have the time to play as many games as i used to, Idk but i put thousands of hours into Warhawk, Motorstorm trilogy specially Pacifit Rift, Resistance trilogy, the superb Killzone 2 multiplayer mode, Fat Princess, ModNation Racers, LBP and of course the single player games Like God of War, Uncharted series, inFAMOUS series, Ratchet and Clank games, A Crack in Time still remains in my top 10 favorite games of all time! , MGS4 and so on... Ps4 i enjoyed way less games but i havent really had the time to play as many though. Horizon amazing, The Last Guardian amazing, Uncharted 4 amazing, God of War EPIC!, DriveClub really good and i still play Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer whenever i feel like playing for a bit.
Not that you mention it, I think PS3 really does take the edge in exclusives. Even though Bloodborne and GoW are in my top5 of all time.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
That's only 5% of 2 Billion, meh

Sony just got lucky like always that Microsoft failed with Xbox One and Nintendo with wiiu. Exactly like in ps3/ ps2/ ps1 era. Sony, the luckiest company ever confirmed.
They should play the lottery! They'd be winning jackpots everywhere then they could finally buy Take-Two and Disney!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Both PS2 and PS3 are better in my book because of better lineups. I really don't like the long development-cycles and shift towards GaaS in this gen. This gen also lacks more exciting new IPs. But that's a general problem of this gen and not a PS4-problem. PS4 still is far and away the best console this gen. I played 90% on PS4 compared to Switch and Xbox One which I both rarely use.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
Console ownership is not a zero sum economy, more people exist now than decades ago, and gaming (read: AAA) is targeting the mainstream more than ever.

They're gaining more mainstream gamers at the expense of others, but much like mobile gaming, that's where the money is. At least there's still PC gaming to cater to a wider variety of tastes, unless Epic/Oculus manages to screw that over somehow.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it'll pass or even reach the ps2 150 million but it could easily sell another extra 20 to 30 million . It'll keep selling well even after ps5 releases especially if Sony made aggressive discounts.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
If Aaron Greenberg worked at PlayStation we'd be seeing a, "The first to reach 100 million wins the generation" tweet about now.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
*Not downplaying that it's an achievement by any means*
*goes on to downplay achievement*
If it's so easy why didn't the XOne or the WiiU do the same? Why isn't the Switch comfortably beating the PS4 instead of keeping up with it? gaming now is bigger than it was in 2013 so that's how it must work, right? If anything console gaming is shrinking... by A LOT.

What you just said makes no sense, and just appears like an attempt to downplay even if you didn't mean for it to be.
Because they aren't/weren't the most popular consoles at the time, which is why it isn't downplaying it because that is an achievement in its own right with what's out there... Did you even read what I said? And if you think console gaming is shrinking, you aren't paying attention.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Because they aren't/weren't the most popular consoles at the time, which is why it isn't downplaying it because that is an achievement in its own right with what's out there... Did you even read what I said? And if you think console gaming is shrinking, you aren't paying attention.
Last gen "the unpopular console" sold 87 millions. And yes I did which I replied to? you said you're not downplaying only to write what can't be described by anything other than downplaying. Based on what you said the Switch must be a failure and the PS5 and X2 should do insane numbers out of the gate otherwise they're also huge failures which is of course laughable.

Handheld are dead and home consoles are significantly lower and you're trying to argue that consoles are not shrinking?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Last gen "the unpopular console" sold 87 millions. And yes I did which I replied to? you said you're not downplaying only to write what can't be described by anything other than downplaying. Based on what you said the Switch must be a failure and the PS5 and X2 should do insane numbers out of the gate otherwise they're also huge failures which is of course laughable.

Handheld are dead and home consoles are significantly lower and you're trying to argue that consoles are not shrinking?
I didn't say that any console was a failure. I wasn't even speaking of failures at all so you are drawing the wrong conclusions from what I said. Handhelds are not dead, Switch is a handheld. The game is changing, it isn't going away. How are home consoles significantly lower?!?! LOOK AT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!~

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with that title. It's very difficult to project success (and it's magnitude) accurately so far into the future based on just day 1 sales. X1 also had a big launch.
No the signs were there even in Orland's history of graph manipulation. 1 million sales for sony were in North America, MS came back a couple of days later "with we also sold one million day one, if we count all the ones sold in 13 territories..." Every historical incidence (ps2 vs Dreamcast) he cited to prove that early sales were no indicator showed the exact opposite much like this gen has showed the same correlation of best 1 day sales predict generation winners.

He hewed so hard to the "you can't foretell the future", that he kept up this narrative of too early to tell over 2 years including stories of extrapolating a good holiday for Xbox as the base line and showing how it would overtake PS4 by 2024 in a graph. He had to struggle to maintain the pretence it did not matter.

X1 had a big launch, but not as big as PS4 and that big launch, required some inventive re-interpretation of like for like comparison.

Orland's jernolism now is reduced to placing the 100million "in context" by pointing out the DS did it faster and, hey Netflix has a lot of subscribers... what a bunch of wank by the man.

Who could have foreseen that the early leader would do well, well Orland tried very hard not to.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say that any console was a failure. I wasn't even speaking of failures at all so you are drawing the wrong conclusions from what I said. Handhelds are not dead, Switch is a handheld. The game is changing, it isn't going away. How are home consoles significantly lower?!?! LOOK AT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!~
You said gaming is growing which is why it makes sense PS4 succeeded. By the same logic Switch (a 2017 console) is only keeping up with the what PS4 did in 2013 so it must be a failure right? gaming got a lot bigger from 2013 to 2017 so Switch must get on with the time.

Switch is hybrid so Nintendo combined their 2 businesses into 1 which is what shrinking means. Xone is down significantly and Sony killed their handheld business. How can you look at that and argue console gaming is not shrinking? we went from half a billion consoles last gen to half that now.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Wow crazy numbers. Well deserved. Ranks a bit below ps1 and ps2 for me but...those bad boys were on another level entirely for me.

When you have the games, people show up. Who knew? Lol

banter

Jan 12, 2018
You said gaming is growing which is why it makes sense PS4 is succeeding. By the same logic Switch (a 2017 console) is only keeping up with the what PS4 did in 2013 so it must be a failure right? gaming got a lot bigger from 2013 to 2017 so Switch must get on with the time.

Switch is hybrid so Nintendo combined their 2 businesses into 1 which is what shrinking means. Xone is down significantly and Sony killed their handheld business. How can you look at that and argue console gaming is not shrinking?
Since when did keeping up with the fastest selling console ever mean failure?

You speak of the loss of dedicated handhelds (generally not referred to as consoles) as your reason for console gaming shrinking (mobile gaming is the reason for this, and mobile gaming is not infringing on consoles) meanwhile, the Switch and PS4 are selling in record numbers. Xbox is doing poorly this gen due to lack of exclusives and poor management of the launch, but it's still doing better than the worst of last gen (Wii U) so overall console sales are higher... which is growth.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats all around! Still some steam in the system too. Looking forward to Death Stranding, TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Unless Sony does a #599usdollars #ridgeracer #giantenemycrab again, I think we can expect something pretty successful as well with PS5.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
congrats to sony! damn shame that, according to a (self-appointed) authority on the gaming industry, their 'for the gamer' approach is exactly what's gonna kill'm next gen...

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I don't think any previous console has had a more feeble competitor than the Xbox One, but still, this is a hell of an achievement and 100% deserved.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
No the signs were there even in Orland's history of graph manipulation. 1 million sales for sony were in North America, MS came back a couple of days later "with we also sold one million day one, if we count all the ones sold in 13 territories..." Every historical incidence (ps2 vs Dreamcast) he cited to prove that early sales were no indicator showed the exact opposite much like this gen has showed the same correlation of best 1 day sales predict generation winners.

He hewed so hard to the "you can't foretell the future", that he kept up this narrative of too early to tell over 2 years including stories of extrapolating a good holiday for Xbox as the base line and showing how it would overtake PS4 by 2024 in a graph. He had to struggle to maintain the pretence it did not matter.

X1 had a big launch, but not as big as PS4 and that big launch, required some inventive re-interpretation of like for like comparison.

Orland's jernolism now is reduced to placing the 100million "in context" by pointing out the DS did it faster and, hey Netflix has a lot of subscribers... what a bunch of wank by the man.

Who could have foreseen that the early leader would do well, well Orland tried very hard not to.
Orland has been shit for a long time, but my goodness that article. Dude is saltier than the dead Sea . He really fucking hates the PlayStation

krg

Oct 27, 2017
This is just a combination of PlayStation doing the right things/producing good 1st party games and Microsoft fucking all previous efforts up and even losing 3rd party support.

Oct 25, 2017

console-wars-q3-2015-new.001-980x735.jpeg

Someone should tweet this graph to Orland.

Technically Xbox One has a chance to beat the PS4 in 2024.

Fucking lol.

Gparan

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Well deserved by Sony who has made some of the best first party games I have ever played this generation. The first couple of years were a bit weak but the following years more then made up for it.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but the ps4 never really had the supply issues that the wii and PS2 had. You couldn't find either of those consoles readily avaliable the first two years of their lives!
Well that's just plain wrong. The PS4 had supply issues in the US and a bunch of other countries. The US alone had a supply issue for more than 1 year. Hell, I think the PS4 had supply issues during the holiday maybe 1 or 2 years ago because they were selling out constantly.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Grats PlayStation. Dam. In June.

Think we're at 3:1 vs Xbone yet globally? Probably dam close if not surpassed by now.