• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Saw this posted at a couple of deals sites (lol)

Sony Playstation 3 'OTHER OS' Class Action Settlement (Updated Terms)

A revised settlement agreement worth $3.75 million has been reached in the litigation over the loss of "Other OS" functionality in Sony's "Fat" PlayStation 3.

The new settlement agreement supersedes an earlier agreement reached last year that failed to earn final court approval.

Under the new version of the settlement, qualifying Class Members who submit valid and timely claims can get payments of up to $65 – an increase over the previous settlement's $55 and $9 payments for members of two separate Classes.

Class Members who previously submitted a claim in connection with this settlement do not need to submit another claim. These Class Members may contact the settlement administrator with any questions about their prior claims or to update their contact information.

Class Members can object to the settlement's terms or exclude themselves from the settlement by filing a written request by April 15, 2018.

Proof of Purchase said:
Among other information, claimants must provide at least one of the following:

• their PlayStation 3 serial number;
  • the PlayStation Network Sign-In ID (email address) used to create a PlayStation account associated with their PlayStation 3; or
  • the PlayStation Network Online ID (the player's handle used for communicating and playing games on the PlayStation Network) associated with the PlayStation account linked to their PlayStation 3.

Lock if old.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
For PSN Network Sign-IN ID/email. did you put the email you originally signed up for PSN with, or the current one you use?

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For PSN Network Sign-IN ID/email. did you put the email you originally signed up for PSN with, or the current one you use?

I'm 90% sure it's supposed to be one you used on your Fat PS3. I suspect they could check the sign up date to ensure it was between 2006 and 2010.

They want the serial number of the console?

Pssh. I don't have that console anymore. It's been a long time now. There is no way I could find that serial number. Oh well. I guess no 65 dollars for me...

You don't need the serial number. You just need the PSN ID you used with your Fat PS3

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
They want the serial number of the console?

Pssh. I don't have that console anymore. It's been a long time now. There is no way I could find that serial number. Oh well. I guess no 65 dollars for me...

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
alright I submitted.

I ended up changing emails for my PSN, same account I just changed emails. i logged into my phat PS3 with my old email but all the info should still be there. I just put in my current login ID.

I paid $399.99 for a PS3 40GB, and $59.99 each for Uncharted 1 & Ratchet Clank: Tools of Destruction in April 2008.

I still use the phat PS3 as a secondary blu-ray still running strong! i dont think it's even hooked to the web.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, you could buy a used PS3 with that money...

Too bad that PS3 I bought my ex years ago was a slim.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
terms say you don't need to provide this if you have the other info.
Yeah I just double checked! I'm an idiot lol!

Something tells me that for some mysterious reason they're not going to see that I had one but I submitted a claim using my email and PSN ID anyways. Hope it works!

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this didn't die. I was pretty livid back when they pulled this feature. Hopefully my claim is still in the system.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So you don't need to have actually used Other OS? Ill take some free credit

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, if I already filed a claim with the prior settlement, I don't have to re-file another claim? Cool beans, I'll just wait then.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Something like being able to install another OS onto your console is so unfathomable nowadays, it's kind of crazy that was a thing.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I remember losing OtherOS. I actually used it a few times too.

I would claim but the slight technical hitch of not living in the US slightly harms that. Ah well.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Hopefully they don't mess with me since I eventually got a new PS3 that is now the system linked to my account. Oh well, this took only a few moments - I *should* get my $65.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
When was other os removed? It was never on the slim remodel? I may file anyway, but that's when I bought mine.

N/m. I see it was never included in the slim, but wasn't removed from the phat until about a year after the slim released. I bought my PS3 well before May 2010, but it was the slim. Oh well,

Last edited:

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, if I read the terms correctly you only need to have been aware of the functionality, it doesn't matter if you intended to use it or not.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Fairly certain I filed a claim the last time this came up. I don't want to put in another one, is there any way to find out?

mcfizzle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Filled. Had a Fat 60 gig. I used just the email address and PSN name as it's been a long time since i had the system.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Did it. Still have my fat PS3 not 5 feet from me at this moment. I did feel a bit sour about the other OS stuff going away. I'd even dabbled with it slightly (biggest drawback was never having true GPU support).

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Potentially $65 for my launch day PS3 that's still in use as a Blu-ray player? Awesome.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
When the PS3 launched it had a function where you could use builds of Linux (including one built in).

It was removed when it became used as a route to hack the console, or at least that was the reason at the time.

Back in the day you could install linux on the PS3 and run it as a computer. If I remember correctly, it was used as a backdoor to get firmware and other stuff on the system which would then allow it to run pirated disks. So they cut the feature

So why exactly does anybody deserve money because they cut this?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have a Fat PS3, definitely won't be claiming, but I am intrigued. 'Other OS'? I've never heard that term before. Sounds like quite the large feature to just be cut. I would be pretty peeved if I lost such a feature - even if I didn't use it. It'd be like... if they took away my iPod's voice memo function. I never use it, but the removal of it would be rather bothersome.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So why exactly does anybody deserve money because they cut this?
It was a feature of the console.

Yes it wasn't used much, although I did use it, but it was removed without recompense.

Imagine if they just turned off the Blu-Ray film playback in similar circumstances. Would you be asking why anyone would deserve recompense then?

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually a really cool feature that many used. Somewhat sad that it was removed. Too bad the class action is only for US.

MrCow

Oct 30, 2017
Does this apply for all regions or north america only?

EDIT: Never mind.. US only

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Filed as well. It was ridiculous when the settlement required proof of purchase. Like I'm going to be able to find a receipt from a decade ago. I still have my PS3 though so I was able to provide the serial number.

I like how the claims site uses the term fat PS3.
Haha, I did a double take at that as well.