• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wait people are already emulating Saturn on Series X?

Been playing my Saturn games on my Series X all weekend! A few seem a bit wonky (got some weird ghosting/slowdown on Last Bronx, for example) but Sega Rally is perfect and I played some solid Manx TT last night. Can even easily switch between the Analog controller and normally digital controls with a button press (for those games that support the 3D pad like Nights and Sega Rally Championship Plus).

It's giving my Saturn library a second life honestly.

Had a small dabble with Dreamcast (got Virtua Fighter 3tb working last night) but gonna try Sega Rally 2 and MvC2 tonight.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing my Saturn games on my Series X all weekend! A few seem a bit wonky (got some weird ghosting/slowdown on Last Bronx, for example) but Sega Rally is perfect and I played some solid Manx TT last night. Can even easily switch between the Analog controller and normally digital controls with a button press (for those games that support the 3D pad like Nights and Sega Rally Championship Plus).

Had a small dabble with Dreamcast (got Virtua Fighter 3tb working last night) but gonna try Sega Rally 2 and MvC2 tonight.
I played Sword of the Berserk and MvC2 last night on a One X and it ran decently, just a tad slow, but visually it looked great at higher internal resolution at 1440p. I imagine these run damn near perfectly on Series X|S.
How hard is it to setup emulation on this?
Not hard at all.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
You don't need "high-end" hardware, unless you want to go really bonkers with shaders, hd textures, higher internal resolution etc. etc.

For me, the shaders, HD textures and internal resolution are the big selling points. I have all of my original consoles and a ton of games, so if I just wanted to fire up a PS2 game then I could do it on my PS2 with no problem - the ability to make those games look much better on larger modern TVs with higher native rendering resolution and HD texture packs is a huge draw.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
Just wondering, I know Quick Resume has been super spotty, but does anyone know if switching between dev and regular mode closes Quick Resume games? I just wanna know ahead of time so if I do decide to use the emulation side of things I'll save my games ahead of time.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era's own BlockABoots running PS2 games on XSX.

Just wondering, I know Quick Resume has been super spotty, but does anyone know if switching between dev and regular mode closes Quick Resume games? I just wanna know ahead of time so if I do decide to use the emulation side of things I'll save my games ahead of time.
I have no idea, but it's one thing you won't have to worry about if you get the retail version. You have until Sunday to get whitelisted for it.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah but how do you prove you already own it. Like i said talk to me like I'm 5. Say i have some old ps2 games buried somewhere in a closet at my parents. How do I emulate them.

How does that work for a multi disc game like final fantasy 7? Not that I would need to for that one since you can get that anywhere.

You do not need to prove anything unless you're dragged to court. You can rip PS2 games really easily with a DVD player in your computer. For Wii/GC games it's super easy to do it with a Wii, etc.

It's not illegal to use an emulator. It might be illegal to circumvent copyright protection to rip your games but the law says it's legal to do so for archival purposes. It hasn't really been tried in court in a specific "this dude archived his own game" case.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I didn't know about the retail version. This isn't something I really need as I have my PC with RetroArch hooked to my TV so I wasn't willing to fool with Dev Mode or pay the minor fee for it, but if I don't have to do that then I wouldn't mind playing around with this for fun. I signed up for the whitelist.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Looks like the show is almost over.
also you guys feel free to tell who ever you want about this, someone already reported to MS so its definitely getting removed, its just a question of when, so get in on retroarch while you still can
That's from the discord.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
For me, the shaders, HD textures and internal resolution are the big selling points. I have all of my original consoles and a ton of games, so if I just wanted to fire up a PS2 game then I could do it on my PS2 with no problem - the ability to make those games look much better on larger modern TVs with higher native rendering resolution and HD texture packs is a huge draw.

Certainly! There are some games that clean-up real nice (e.g. Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker), just from running a higher internal resolution!

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020

This is incredible, I always want to play those consoles but feel lazy to dig them out of the closet. I can't wait to have this console now.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Just loaded RetroArch on my Series X last night via dev mode. I don't know if I would buy an Xbox just to load up RetroArch as N64 emulation (the one thing I really wanted to try out on this) is pretty buggy (GoldenEye, Mario Kart 64 and Mischief Makers both crashed on me early on but Mario 64 seems to run just fine) but if you've already got a Series S or X, this is a pretty neat little bonus.

Dec 31, 2017
Older consoles also only have analog outputs, making them look really bad on modern TVs. It's the reason why I've been buying modded hardware (like the UltraHDMI for N64) or fpga based hardware like the Analogue NT. There is something about being able to use the original games that doesn't come with playing on an emulator, but old hardware won't last forever either so I'm glad people are finding ways to make old games feel new again.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I have a PC for emulation so no interest in investing in a console, but still pretty cool! I may recommend to some friends who love classics.

As for a few other parts of this topic... people need to remember that this is not XBS running it, it is the software that is running the games... so while it is super unlikely that Sony gives two shits about it, theoretically I assume they could use legal channels to try to get MS to block this specific software for use on the system, even in dev mode via some sort of update?

Sony already tried to block emulators from existing once
Didnt end up well for them

They can't do anything about it in dev mode. It existed for ages. Retroarch exists for playstation consoles too, as a homebrew app

dedge

Sep 15, 2019

Does Saturn need a BIOS copied over? I wasn't able to get my games running for that or DC.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Will I still be able to update the Retail version after Microsoft eventually kills it? Like will I be able to update cores, assets, etc?

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
This is really making me tempted to buy developer mode and dabble with it on my Series X. Can this play directly from the PS2 discs on Series X or does it need a rip?

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
This is really making me tempted to buy developer mode and dabble with it on my Series X. Can this play directly from the PS2 discs on Series X or does it need a rip?
You need to rip the games and put them on the internal drive currently (other systems support loading from usb so hopefully PS2 will soon)

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
theres no chance of accounts being banned or some shit for installing and using the "retail" retroarch, right?

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017

Do you have Magic Knight Rayearth? I wonder how that plays on it.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
At first, I thought about how Microsoft could have an easily exploitable system in place that would elicit in activities adjacent platform holders would disapprove of; then I realized that 1.) my anxiety shouldn't get the best of me and I should embrace that Microsoft is so open with their platforms and 2.) this (by 'this' I mean RetroArch) is probably very beneficial for game developers who want to remaster legacy titles. Either way, it's a big plus that emulation is extremely accessible for users on Microsoft's consoles.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Does RetroArch detect other controllers connected? Like a PS4 one, for example. Probably doesn't have the drivers to do so, but from footage I saw it shows "generic Xbox controller detected" when opening the app.

Nov 8, 2017
On Series X, can you pop in a PS2 disc and run emu off it, or do you need to rip it first?

It would be totally awesome if you could run it natively, I have a stack of PS2 games.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Does RetroArch detect other controllers connected? Like a PS4 one, for example. Probably doesn't have the drivers to do so, but from footage I saw it shows "generic Xbox controller detected" when opening the app.
After connecting it via USB it doesn't recognize neither my SN30+ in any mode nor the DualShock 4

On Series X, can you pop in a PS2 disc and run emu off it, or do you need to rip it first?

It would be totally awesome if you could run it natively, I have a stack of PS2 games.

It does it on PC but dunno on Xbox; it does it with PSX and Saturn. It also offers an option to rip it. I have an S so Idk if that's possible on X yet

Last edited:

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
It does it on PC but dunno on Xbox; it does it with PSX and Saturn. It also offers an option to rip it. I have an S so Idk if that's possible on X yet

To make sure I'm understanding you correctly here, are you saying the emulator will actually play a game straight from a Saturn/PSX disc inserted into the XSX?

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020