• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

playstation-1-psx.jpg

It's pretty nuts for me to realize the PS1 has been out for 25 years.
I remember my mom giving me the choice of getting either a PS1 or N64.
I chose the PS1 because my cousin had an n64 (smartest move I ever made)

Probably one of my favorite consoles of all time.
Mine came with a demo disc that had demos for MGS 1, Spyro The Dragon, Gran Turismo, Ninja Shadow of Darkness

My mind was literally blown

It also came with a trailer for Parasite Eve 1. I must have watched that trailer at least 100 times.

Parasite Eve 2 is probably in my top 5 games of all time

PS1 is also the system that sparked my love for Survival Horror games.
Silent Hill 1 intro is still amazing till this day. I recently played through the intro in a pitch black room with a bunch of relatives and the atmosphere still held up amazing well.

Era what are some of your favorite memories from this console

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My only memory with my PS1 was the Driver tutorial. The problem is that I got the system second hand and for some reason games would constantly freeze, so it would always freeze during that tutorial. I was like 5 at the time so I just gave up and kept playing my N64.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The demo disc with Jumping Flash.

Scaring the hell out of my cousin with Resident Evil, lol. I already played most of it so I didn't tell him anything. That was so funny.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I remember fondly the time immediately before reading this thread title and realizing how old I am.

Okay, for real, I never owned a PS1 but I did borrow one for a few weeks. So my main memories is beating Final Fantasy 8 after dedicating my life to it for a week, and enjoying the comedic cutscenes in a game called Metal Arms. I'm sure there were other games I tried during that period, but those were the two that stuck in my brain.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Tomb Raider for the first time. Still a fantastic game.

Me and my new roommates/friends playing Twisted Metal in our first apartment together. No furniture aside from a TV and a PS1.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I remember going on a waiting list to rent an imported PS1 with Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden.

When I finally got a chance to play it, my brain melted.

Went with the N64 that gen so didn't really play much. I did play Resident Evil and Gex 3 and both of those were my jam.

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I had no idea what a PlayStation was until my parents got me one for Christmas. Maybe my older siblings knew but I was totally confused when I saw it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Arena Toshiden and I cannot remember if Bushido Blade came outnear launch

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Dropped this bad boy off a 3 meter high shelf and still works to this day. Going from the MegaDrive to the PS1 was insane, could not believe what I was seeing.

Fav moment is probably getting the Official Playstation Magazine with the MGS 1 demo. That was just absolute hype.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Playing Driver and not being able to continue past the parking garage 'tutorial'

That wasn't even the worst part. That last mission was a hellish time that I could only beat with cheats.

The PS1 was a hell of a console.
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Gran Turismo 1 & 2
  • Silent Hill
  • The Resident Evil series
My list could go on forever. Even the offbeat titles like Rising Zan were awesome.

My favourite moment was probably playing MGS during the Christmas break.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
We didn't have much money growing up but my mum saved money from work (bless her) and got me a PS1 but all I had was that PS1 demo disc for a long time lol But she said I could get any game for my birthday and I immediately thought of FF7 because I read it had 3 discs so it was going to last me a long time....and that was the game that changed my life. I'll never forget how blown away I was and how it changed how I look at games because all I was exposed to before that was just basic platformers and stuff. This console will forever hold a special place in my heart.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I bought FF7 before getting a PS1 for my birthday. I had to rent a PS1 rom the Wherehouse for like a month and a half before I got mine proper, lol.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Mortal kombat trilogy loading in the middle of a fight so that Shang Tsung can morph into another character.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I got it for Christmas of launch year, just the PS1 and Tekken 1-- no memory card (shortages abound). Same Christmas I also got Virtua Fighter 2, Virtual Cop, Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country 2. I don't think I used my PS1 until I ended up borrowing Jumping Flash from a friend/getting Resident Evil 1 when it launched.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the first game I played was Toshinden on a demo unit. I wasn't a fan of the move to 3D at this point in time, thought it was ugly so honestly I wasn't impressed, also I got a Saturn before a PS1, so was fully onboard with Sega and the Saturn's Capcom/SNK arcade conversions primarily.

When I did finally get a PS1, Ridge Racer was the game that sold me on 3D, it was colurful and played fantastic - you couldn't say that about many 3D games of that era.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Here in Chile basically every PS1 sold was modchipped, mostly for piracy. But that also had the side effect of making the console region free, so I played a lot of imports back in the day, like the Dance Dance Revolution series. Good times! Also shoutout to the Ace Combat series.

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Getting a ps1 with Rayman, Croc, amd Final Fantasy VII for xmas. Best present ever! Didn't have a memory card for a few weeks after that, though, so I played through reactor 1 like 10 times.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I got Playstation in '98 for my 14th birthday. The demo disc it came with gots of play. It demos of Tomb Raider 2, Bloody Roar, Crash Bandicoot 2.
The first full games I played were Air Combat, Pandemonium. I remember borrowing FFVII, Die Hard Trilogy, RE2 from my friends. My dad got my Metal Gear Solid and spent my March break playing that game.

Castlevania SOTN, Vagrant Story, WipeOut Trilogy, Tekken 3, RE3, Need For Speed III& High Stakes....so many memories

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Every weekend, I would meet with my primary school classmates to play PS1 games. It was really cool doing so and that's how I got to know many other games, but the times I spent with them are treasured fondly. I have no idea where these guys are at the moment, but I hope they are doing great.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was the first console I could call mine. I received Spyro and Twisted Metal 2 in a combo pack with the PS for Christmas. I loaded up Spyro first.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Launch day. That Trex demo and Toshindin. And months later finding out launch units could play imported games without a mod.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Twisted Metal 2 and 3. Going to my friend house and playing GT2 for like 8 hours straight just upgrading our cars. Playing MGS for the first time. Fantastic console! <3<3

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
I got one pretty late when I was kid. It was around the time Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 was released. I can close my eyes and see the glow of the TV in the living room with snow outside while I'm sitting cross-legged in my PJs learning to shred. The remake meant a lot to me to say the least, it influenced my taste in music for the 20 years following then.

Oct 27, 2017
My earliest and most cherished memory is playing the 2 player enabled Tekken demo with friends and absolutely fucking loving it to bits. It's all I could afford for the first few weeks of owning the console, but myself and my two friends didn't mind as we had such a good time on it. Then I eventually bought the full game and the good times rolled on :D

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 2 and Demolition Derby were my first two games on the PSX. (I didn't get one until Christmas of 1996.)

Tekken 2 is what moved me from fighting game visitor to competitor. My brother and I used to battle it out during the week, and then hit the mall on the weekends for new challengers.

What a time to be alive. One of my favorite memories came from the opening of Castlevania: SotN. Another from the hallway in Resident Evil. Another from Claire A -> Leon B in Resident Evil 2. Another still from Street Fighter Alpha 3. Playing Intelligent Qube's demo and searching for the next 15 years for a copy of it. Getting into the soundtrack of Ridge Racer Type 4.

I have way too many memories of the PSX. Too many.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
We didn't have much money growing up but my mum saved money from work (bless her) and got me a PS1 but all I had was that PS1 demo disc for a long time lol But she said I could get any game for my birthday and I immediately thought of FF7 because I read it had 3 discs so it was going to last me a long time....and that was the game that changed my life. I'll never forget how blown away I was and how it changed how I look at games because all I was exposed to before that was just basic platformers and stuff. This console will forever hold a special place in my heart.
My cousin gave me his copy of FF7 because he hated RPG's. I swear it took me like three months to beat that game. I loved every second of it.
Ironically my dad went and bought FF8 but hated it for the same reason so that's how I ended up with it.

FF9 is actually the first game I've ever purchased new on release date with my own money. I saved up my allowance and my mom took me to Walmart. It was more expensive than I thought so she had to help me buy it.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, time really flies.

Favorite memories? First time playing Metal gear solid and resident evil. I can't forget the moment I finished those games. Now I have tears in my eyes when I think about that time. MGS and RE are my most favorite franchise of all time...