• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda has brought about a major shift in power in the industry, with eight studios and several major AAA IP suddenly joining the Xbox Game Studios pipeline. Regardless of how long it will be before we start seeing the proper results of that, there's no doubting that the results will be felt sooner or later.

According to Pachter, interestingly enough, should AT&T choose to sell the WB Games division in the future – after recently having decided against it following reports that those assets were indeed up for sale – that Sony could be in a good position to tap up those assets and licenses, and that IP such as Batman and Mortal Kombat could fit very well with their first party portfolio- though he expects that in all likeliness, Sony's acquisitions will continue to be relatively smaller, along the lines of last year's Insomniac deal.

"Their acquisitions have been smaller, like Insomniac, and those are the kinds of acquisitions that I would expect," Pachter said. "I do think Sony is in a good position to buy Warner Bros. Interactive assets should they ever go on sale again. Depending on whether AT&T chooses to sell them, and how. If they just want to license their IP out, they will probably not go with exclusivity deals, because they won't want the games limited to just one platform, but if they sell perpetual rights to Batman or Mortal Kombat, I think those assets would be pretty cool for Sony to fold into their lineup. They already did it with Spider-Man, so we know they would be interested in something like that. I really hadn't considered this scenario, since we had heard WB was off the table, but now that Bethesda just got bought for $7.5 billion, you have to think AT&T are thinking, 'could we get $7 billion?'"

Link: https://gamingbolt.com/sony-in-a-go...snt-worth-much-without-kojima-michael-pachter

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Even if they were for sale, they're too slow releasing games and at best they have licensed games (and we'll see if they want to pay licenses to WB and maybe Harry Potter), and Mortal KOmbat.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather Sony own them than ATT honestly. I'm not fanboy either. ATT Is a mess.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is old. But Batman and Spider-Man under the same publisher would be crazy. Then a crossover game :O

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
WB games is one of the worst possible purchases, if the deal is actually similar to how journalist said it was some months ago

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Aren't they not for sale anymore?

Also, I cannot see why this would at all be a good investment. You get talented people sure, but you don't get the huge IP that they've propped up this gen. No Batman, no Mordor etc.

You'd want a studio that at least gives you a little of both talent and IP

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I mean wasn't it suggested that the IPs would remain with WB and an acquisition would only result in the buyer getting the studios? Maybe I'm misremembering. Either way, AT&T took WB Games off the market anyway so I don't see what the point of this is.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I understand the argument of their IPs being a good fit I suppose but wouldn't WB interactive be way out of Sony's price range? At least if it included those IPs.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
A WB games sale makes no sense given their most popular games are WB IPs that wouldnt get sold with the companies

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I fail to see why Sony is in a better position than Sony to acquire WB Games. Is the logic just that since Microsoft purchased Bethesda they wouldn't be interested in WB Games?

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
WB mainly does license stuff so I don't see what's the incentive for Sony. Though to be fair I don't see the value in Spider-Man either, yeah it's a hugely popular license worldwide but I think Sony's assets are better invested in IPs they control.

Yeah I'm a little bit salty that Sony has a ton of dormant IPs but they'll shower fucking Spider-Man with cash to cash in on the exhausting superhero craze. I know Spider-Man will sell like 1000x more copies than Ape Escape but I'm still salty about it!

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Microsoft will be busy integrating Bethesda with the rest of XGS, if AT&T puts them up for sale again it will probably be Sony vs. third-parties like EA and Take-Two

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this is a joke. These major 3rd party publishers need to remain multiplat. The Bethesda deal still stinks

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhhhhhh

Nah, not worth it IMO.

Sony can do better, and i'd rather the money went to their own titles than anything WB could offer.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
"In a good position" but not likely per the article.

If wb games was bought does that include the video game rights to all DC universe characters?

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Would they even own their IPs like Harry Potter and stuff (for games)? Because if not I really don't see the point.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banner (2 Weeks) - Continued History of Platform Warring
Sounds like he just threw that out there to have Xboxians shook over Playstation having both Spider-man AND Batman.
And that's fine by me.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
If WB ever would go up for sale again and Sony scooped them up, Cory Barlog would finally get to make that Superman game he's always wanted.

Aufdeel

Apr 5, 2020
Reads like he's just speculating, not afirmating anything? Maybe I'm missing something since english is not my native language, but..

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they just say they weren't going to sell anymore?

Because nobody was giving them an offer they were happy with. I don't think them being not for sale -right now- precludes that from changing in the future if someone comes with the right offer. They have a huge portfolio but an even bigger debt load.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
There is no discussion to have here tbh.
He is saying that IF WB goes on sale again then MAYBE Sony could buy it.
I could say the same for most of the publishers lol.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Damn. Can't fucking imagine these games with Sony's exclusive game quality level.

I hope it will happen.