• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
More people should have heard of Playnite by now, and few have, which is a real bummer because oh my god this is neat.
screen1.jpg

Playnite is a FOSS (Free and Open Source) game library manager that pulls from Steam, Bethesda, GOG, itch.io, Epic Games Store, Twitch, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, as well as loading games directly into emulators, as well as (much like steam), adding UWP and DRM free games to an overall library.

With just about like... 4 minutes of logging in accounts, it will scrape every account to dump every single game you own into one giant list. On top of all that, assuming your game isn't a really obscure game on itch.io, it pulls from igdb.com, grabbing box art, release dates, genre tags, as well as promo/game summary text for each and every game, failing that, it will pull the metadata from the launcher itself ensuring every single game has a description, if available.

Controller support? It has it, with it's own Steam Big Picture mode like interface, that if we are being honest needs a bit of love, but works and is there:

screen5.jpg

It's become my go to app for games now, I don't filter through Steam, hell I've pretty much only touched Steam to look at community forums or buy something since installing it, and it pulls damn near everything.

Now, it does have it's limitations. Being a one person project, it's not going to be as feature rich and polished as say... Launchbox. Uplay only imports games that are installed, and not uninstalled games. Discord Store, Humble Bundle, and Rockstar Launchers haven't been integrated, and I personally have been having issues importing games from my itch.io "collection" but not my itch.io "library". But the developer is quite active on his own GitHub page, adding features/library imports he'd like to see, flagging user submitted ideas as things to be implemented, and is quick to turn around on bugs (an update around the launch of Apex Legends broke launching Apex Legends. A fix was out a few hours later)

And for those of us with 3000+ games (bundles, man), it's invaluable, being able to parse quickly what games you have on what platforms at any given time. Like apparently I have 3 copies of Hotline Miami 1 AND 2 across 3 different platforms, and Playnite lets you install, and launch any one of them.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aaaand downloading. This looks really neat.

Update: Doesn't seem to want to load uplay for me and I really wish it had humble bundle integration, but this is pretty slick so far. Forgot I owned some stuff on Origin and GOG.

Last edited:

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Looks promising, I'll check it out tonight. Hopefully Discord integration will come soon though, because Discord Nitro gave me sooooo much free games.

ShrtAttnGmr

Feb 7, 2019
I presume it doesn't actually take the place of the other launchers, and still requires that they run constantly to receive updates?

OP
OP
PurpleMoustache
Oct 29, 2017
Looks promising, I'll check it out tonight. Hopefully Discord integration will come soon though, because Discord Nitro gave me sooooo much free games.
According to the discord chat for Playnite, the developer claims that 5.0 which I know at least has theming support if not more launchers, was pushed from late Febuary to early March, so maybe soon-ish. It's definitely on the roadmap though.

OP
OP
PurpleMoustache
Oct 29, 2017
I presume it doesn't actually take the place of the other launchers, and still requires that they run constantly to receive updates?
Yes. It acts purely as a front end for each launcher. You don't need to have each launcher constantly running, as when you boot a game from Playnite it will open that associated launcher (starting Overwatch launches Battle.net for instance) and the platform's auto update features should kick in before the game launches, much like if you were to use a Steam desktop shortcut with Steam closed.

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
I really don't believe add an extra launcher can help reducing how much launchers we need...

Does it have screenshot cloud storage? If not, I will still consider add a non steam game to steam manually really superior to that... another, again, launcher.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't believe add an extra launcher can help reducing how much launchers we need...

Does it have screenshot cloud storage? If not, I will still consider add a non steam game to steam manually really superior to that... another, again, launcher.
Just use ShareX and set it up so one of your hotkeys uploads to Imgur or whatever your favorite host is.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Seems neat, but given all the other functions we use launchers for -- from friends lists to cloud features -- I'm not sure I need this.

I can't think of a launcher that I use that is so inconvenient that I need a replacement launcher that removes or limits all of those other functions.

Oct 26, 2017
Aaaand downloading. This looks really neat.

Update: Doesn't seem to want to load uplay for me and I really wish it had humble bundle integration, but this is pretty slick so far. Forgot I owned some stuff on Origin and GOG.

I think there is a limitation with Uplay, it only detects the installed games, not all games in your account. It works for all the other stores, so I think it's a limitation of how uPlay connection works.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is an acceptable way to clean up the mass of multiple launchers. Does a great job of tidying things up. Plus, it can be forked if anyone thinks they have a better idea.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It's nice and all but I'm guessing we are all waiting for the Disney solution of movies anywhere for video games in a few years

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i know playnite doesn't do this but is there any way for there to be a third-party launcher that launches games without their launcher -- eg if i wanted to play overwatch i wouldn't need to use battle.net or origin for apex legends or uplay for ac odyssey, etc.

that's all i want. i don't want to have to run 5 launchers because i play games from different publishers.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
There are numerous launchers like this. The best one is Launchbox (it has a free version) with bigbox (paid version, 25$ us but ohhh so worth it)

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
i know playnite doesn't do this but is there any way for there to be a third-party launcher that launches games without their launcher -- eg if i wanted to play overwatch i wouldn't need to use battle.net or origin for apex legends or uplay for ac odyssey, etc.

that's all i want. i don't want to have to run 5 launchers because i play games from different publishers.

I think origin Uplay and steam have silent launches you can do with them but I'm not sure exactly.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I tried asking in the other thread but has anyone been able to get ScummVM integrated with the program? I tried downloading the extension on github but the program never seemed to recognize it...

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I am having difficulty adding/authenticating my Twitch account... :(

Last edited:

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
A Steam Big Picture-like mode sounds great, but can I also run this through Steam link? Would be awesome to stream any game from any service, since I rarely sit by my computer when I play PC games anymore.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'd love to use it but my only annoyance is that it seems the boxarts arent cohesive. Some have ratings on them, some have the platform name on them. Heck some aren't even the same size/format.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
It's cool but useless. You have to log into the main launchers before you can use this. It just makes things take longer.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
This is something that is great to have, but it's sad to need
Honestly, even if Steam was the only option I would still use this or LaunchBox. Steam, if not all digital storefront launchers are absolutely horrible at giving you the ability to probably organize and sort your collection. Is it really so hard to give us the option of a sort field or the ability to drag and group our titles in any order we like?

As I said in the other thread, you can not rename a purchased game in Steam (well officially). While this may not be an issue for some, I for one find it rather annoying that Ultimate DOOM is at the very bottom of my list and not near the top of it with the rest of the DOOM franchise. This is only going to be more and more of a issue as my collection continues to grow.

Here is another example - Tomb Raider (2013):

STEAM
q1LM0GW.jpg

PLAYNITE
i2UCe4m.jpg

FudJbhw.jpg

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Having had it installed for a while now I'm mostly only using it on the occasions when I'm at a loss as what to play next since it can list most things I own on my various account's even if not installed. Otherwise I'm just going direct to where my current game is or even adding said game to Steam to get the overlay features if it's not on there.

I still need a solution to keep track of my none installed DRM free copies in places like Humble, may have to be the old fashioned way of just making a spreadsheet.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Eh, I'd love to use it but my only annoyance is that it seems the boxarts arent cohesive. Some have ratings on them, some have the platform name on them. Heck some aren't even the same size/format.
Every game is customizable in the launcher, including it's artwork. I have a friend who uses the same square tiles that Xbox One and PS4 use for example. Another user on Era made a bunch of textless icons. While it may take a bit of work initially, the customization is the appeal of this software.

It's cool but useless. You have to log into the main launchers before you can use this. It just makes things take longer.
You log in each time you want to play a game? My launchers log in the moment my PC boots up.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Well that is not really on the tool though. If you want it to look consistent you will have to take the time and create your own covers, it can look great then though.
AOR40Lm.png

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
But any game that can just be launched can be launched through steam or something like the Nvidia app with more functionality.
If the exception that I don't use Steam exclusively and I don't use GeForce Experience. I use Steam, Origin, Bethesda, and uPlay. With a controller i might add. This makes launching games from these respected services that much easier.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
If anyone has used both this and Launchbox are there any major pros/cons between them aside from the support? Seriously considering something like this.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Figured I'd bump the thread to let it be know that Version 7 comes out today. (its been available to Patrons for a couple of weeks). Here is the changelog:

New:

* Xbox library integration
* Humble Bundle integration
* Option to auto-close 3rd party client after a game is closed
* Added game "Features" field
* Option to pull images from Google Image search when editing metadata
* Many improvements to extension SDK
* playnite:// URI scheme support
* Option to use new banner style backgrounds for Steam games metadata
* Option to update libraries in Fullscreen mode
* Option to start Epic games without the launcher
* Option to remove unused library game fields from Library Manager
* Option to darken covers of uninstalled games on Grid/Fullscreen view
* Option to add web links to extension manifests
* Keyboard shortcut (F6) to use Random game picker (by darklinkpower)
* Initial location of game executable file selection dialog is set to InstallDir
* Ignore uninstallers when importing executables
* Game variables can be used in game scripts
* Clicking on import error notification opens import settings
* Added quick edit button on game details view
* Ability to install extensions by dropping the extension archive file into main window
* Toolbox utility can generate plugins and scripts from templates
* Toolbox utility can pack script and plugin extensions into .pext files
* Steam VR games are properly labeled with VR features

Fixed:

* Twitch integration not working properly if Overwolf is installed
* Some keyboard shortcuts don't work properly
* Some games won't launch properly when using PowerShell game scripts
* Parts of UI are not themable
* List based game fields are not sorted in any particular order
* Grid view shows duplicated games if grouping is enabled
* Grid view doesn't work properly first time Playnite is started
* Game details view is not rendered properly in Fullscreen mode
* Favorite and Hidden states are not properly imported from Steam
* Emulator configuration UI doesn't work properly
* Crash when running games with garbage launcher/anticheat (like Zula)
* Crash when running game from mounted UNC drive
* Crash related to broken registry entries
* Controller buttons are too sensitive
* Bulk metadata download not working for some games
* Bad performance when using List view
* Authentication status is lost when signing into unrelated library
* Playnite fails to clean up temp files when assigning new game media
* Ignore color profile for game media to increase performance (by spektor56)
* Localization updates
* Various small improvements and fixes

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This is really interesting.
Having had it installed for a while now I'm mostly only using it on the occasions when I'm at a loss as what to play next since it can list most things I own on my various account's even if not installed. Otherwise I'm just going direct to where my current game is or even adding said game to Steam to get the overlay features if it's not on there.

I still need a solution to keep track of my none installed DRM free copies in places like Humble, may have to be the old fashioned way of just making a spreadsheet.

Yeah this doesn't solve the too many launchers issue (in fact it technically adds another one) but I think even as something that just gives you an overview of nearly everything you own on various PC storefronts and what you currently have installed it seems very useful in that regard.

It's strange that they don't just use the Giant Bomb database as that's what Twitch uses (assuming that hasn't changed).

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
The filter system is still busted. I have the filter flagged for 'installed' yet it still shows games in my view for games I uninstalled

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
So, is this still being used? Bought a laptop that I plug in the TV frequently, and something more controller friendly than Steam would be cool!

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm just getting back into PC gaming and honestly Playnite has been a godsend. I have a question for power users though. Does anyone know if there is a quick way to copy launch scripts from one game to another?

For example. UWP apps, including games, absolutely refuse to automatically switch to HDR for me. I don't have this issue with Destiny 2 on Steam but its consistent with everything I've downloaded from Xbox Game Pass. I found a small program that switches Windows 10 to HDR as long as it's open and a couple of accompanying PowerShell scripts to drop into Playnite to launch and close it alongside the selected game. Right now I have those scripts saved on a .txt doc and manually copy and paste them individually whenever I add a Xbox game that supports HDR. Is it somehow possible to add a "Copy Scripts" function to Playnite that would allow the user to right-click a title that already has these launch options applied and copy/paste them to a newly added one? Similar to copying object/layer properties in a lot of Adobe CC apps?

I feel like this is something that could hypothetically be done with an extension but I'm not finding anything that exists and I'm not sure where else to look.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately
I'm just getting back into PC gaming and honestly Playnite has been a godsend. I have a question for power users though. Does anyone know if there is a quick way to copy launch scripts from one game to another?

For example. UWP apps, including games, absolutely refuse to automatically switch to HDR for me. I don't have this issue with Destiny 2 on Steam but its consistent with everything I've downloaded from Xbox Game Pass. I found a small program that switches Windows 10 to HDR as long as it's open and a couple of accompanying PowerShell scripts to drop into Playnite to launch and close it alongside the selected game. Right now I have those scripts saved on a .txt doc and manually copy and paste them individually whenever I add a Xbox game that supports HDR. Is it somehow possible to add a "Copy Scripts" function to Playnite that would allow the user to right-click a title that already has these launch options applied and copy/paste them to a newly added one? Similar to copying object/layer properties in a lot of Adobe CC apps?

I feel like this is something that could hypothetically be done with an extension but I'm not finding anything that exists and I'm not sure where else to look.
Unfortunately not. But if you hop into the discord and ask for it I'm backing you up! :) also waiting for that feature!

Oct 28, 2017
How good is this controller support nowadays? Is it comparable to Steam input? Does it support PS4 controllers?