• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it normal that uninstalled Origin games don't have icons ?

VB8bENm.png

It's ugly.

Same for GOG. I'm betting it's from a lack of a provider-supplied mechanism to get the icon unless its installed.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I had to reinstall Windows and lost my manually added games. I thought I wouldn't because I changed the location of the database to a separate drive and pointed Playnite to it. Was that the wrong way to go about it? I don't want to add too much stuff without knowing it'll be saved.

How does it/Does it work with Steam Link at all?

I get increasingly frustrated I can't play Uplay/Origin games from my couch and it makes me buy more stuff (at a higher cost) from Steam.

I've seen several people ask this and a quick workaround is to minimize big picture and then launch a game from Playnite. I use Steam Link on my phone for VNs so I just tap the Play button and go.

Is there anyway to add your PlayStation library to this (even though it can't launch of course)?. Just to have a PS section.

You can use PSNDLE to export your entire library to a CSV and it only requires a bookmarklet. Though, when adding games on Playnite it can auto download metadata.

Is it normal that uninstalled Origin games don't have icons ?

VB8bENm.png

It's ugly.

It takes those icons from the exe files instead of metadata. A workaround would be to show covers instead. I normally only show installed unless I'm looking to install a new game to play. Check out the filters and sorting options.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Been seeing a couple of these threads around. Decided to install and play with it myself. It's not a bad thing to have around, I suppose.

I don't know how to get it to import ScummVM stuff. Anybody know anything about that?

Fixed the issue -- apparently the extension's .ps1 and .yml files had to be inside a folder (with the same name as the .ps1 script). I now have the list of stuff from ScummVM showing up in there too.

Other great feature of the program is being able to add extra things to the launch menu. For stuff that's old and not on storefronts (like Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure or Earthworm Jim), I can add a second line to mount the disc image. This is also useful for programs that have mod loaders or patch managers to have options to launch either the program or go to the mod manager first.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is awesome. I'm super impressed with how well it integrates with the different clients too. If I start Destiny 2 it'll open Battle.net launcher if it's closed and automatically launch the game on its own. Nvidia Gamestream doesn't even do that. lol

My currently installed games:

RHR5d0V.jpg

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It really is awesome. I'm super impressed with how well it integrates with the different clients too. If I start Destiny 2 it'll open Battle.net launcher if it's closed and automatically launch the game on its own. Nvidia Gamestream doesn't even do that. lol

My currently installed games:

RHR5d0V.jpg
How do you get the left side more transparent? Mines more of a black box

Antsa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some Steam games (8 bit boy, Eastside Hockey Manager) and programs have small landscaped icon. Is there a setting that does this or do I have to make custom icons?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Does anyone else have problems connecting Twitch with PlayNite?
It just continues to ask for Authorization even though I have successfully logged in multiple times already... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also done with the cover sweep
AOR40Lm.png

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Not to shamelessly bump this thread, but the client just recieved a Fullscreen UX revamp, and the new theming and plugin system. So expect the amount of plugins and support to grow I'll update my post with the new Fullscreen UX

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not to shamelessly bump this thread, but the client just recieved a Fullscreen UX revamp, and the new theming and plugin system. So expect the amount of plugins and support to grow I'll update my post with the new Fullscreen UX
Hopefully the themeing takes off. A lot of the Launchbox themes aren't jiving with me, but that's the only launcher that will do what I want it to do emulation wise without having to be separated from all of my other games.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Hopefully the themeing takes off. A lot of the Launchbox themes aren't jiving with me, but that's the only launcher that will do what I want it to do emulation wise without having to be separated from all of my other games.
It seems to be super easy as it's a visual editor.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
That looks a lot better.

Part of the GOG Galaxy 2.0 beta too, so least I have that to use with this.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Gonna start using this to count my time with bnet and EGS games. The default UI is kinda meh. Any recommendations of a better one?

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just found out about this. This is now my main launcher, I can go from this to steam big picture to big box and back all with a controller alone.

Im building my own console now! :D

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Shoutout to Issen for recommending me the tool. I set it up today and I already see a lot of advantages over GoG 2.0

With all the research I was doing the last months for a proper tool I never stumbled across this one. This might be the tool I was looking for. It will be a pain to add all my old retro-games manually, but I just love to have that digital shelf and everything is highly customizable. It's way more fun than a Google Docs for sure.

Any plans for adding PSN connection in the future? GoG 2.0 already has that (but no Twitch).

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Shoutout to Issen for recommending me the tool. I set it up today and I already see a lot of advantages over GoG 2.0

With all the research I was doing the last months for a proper tool I never stumbled across this one. This might be the tool I was looking for. It will be a pain to add all my old retro-games manually, but I just love to have that digital shelf and everything is highly customizable. It's way more fun than a Google Docs for sure.

Any plans for adding PSN connection in the future? GoG 2.0 already has that (but no Twitch).
You're welcome, Playnite is fucking awesome.

Yes, there are plans for a PSN importer. It is currently set as a version 8.0 milestone. You can follow this issue here:
github.com

Importing Playstation library · Issue #549 · JosefNemec/Playnite

I would love to be able to import my Playstation library. I'm not sure how your current method of importing works, but if it uses some kind of data scrapping method, then I believe Playstation coul...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, there are plans for a PSN importer. It is currently set as a version 8.0 milestone. You can follow this issue here:
github.com

I would love to be able to import my Playstation library. I'm not sure how your current method of importing works, but if it uses some kind of data scrapping method, then I believe Playstation coul...
Great. Now I won't start adding them manually and just wait for the update.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Great. Now I won't start adding them manually and just wait for the update.
Something to be aware of if you plan to back up your database: The folder contains multiple files with different names. If you make a fresh install of Playnite, these files may be named differently and so it is not guaranteed that copying the contained files into the new install's database folder will replace them.

Instead, you should backup the entire database-containing folder, and replace the entire folder when restoring it (as in, delete the new install's DB folder and then paste your backup).

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

github.com

I'd also prefer filters like the PSDLE extension, so I can separate PS+ from purchased titles, and even PSTV compatible from regular Vita titles.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Something to be aware of if you plan to back up your database: The folder contains multiple files with different names. If you make a fresh install of Playnite, these files may be named differently and so it is not guaranteed that copying the contained files into the new install's database folder will replace them.

Instead, you should backup the entire database-containing folder, and replace the entire folder when restoring it (as in, delete the new install's DB folder and then paste your backup).
I took the portable version to an USB Stick. So there is no installation, just a Folder with all the files. This should work on any PC, I will try that before putting too much work into it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Slowly filling my library and it's really great. It's much more work than a spreadsheet, but it's also so much more fun and nostalgia to see screenshots and pictures from the games you own. Makes you want to play them finally ;-)

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit, I started using this the other day and I'm amazed. It's soooooo good.

I've tried other universal launchers, but this one is the best. GOG Galaxy is too restrictive and too buggy - some games don't import, some games get 'collected' as a group but shouldn't be et etc. LaunchBox is pretty good, but gets crazy laggy with a library of 1000+ games w/ cover images.

Playnite, on the other hand, is very configurable but most of the defaults are pretty sensible. Performance is very very good. Also, there are some great plugins for downloading metadata and other stuff - I've been using the SteamgridDB plugin for populating all my cover and background images, and it's been so much faster than doing it manually like I was with the other launchers.

It's not perfect, there is still missing functionality and the documentation is pretty terrible. I've tried to do some pretty standard setup tasks and figuring them out was not easy, but I've got there.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Does this have a Steam Big Picture style, controller friendly interface for use with my HTPC gaming system?

Sounds awesome

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this have a Steam Big Picture style, controller friendly interface for use with my HTPC gaming system?

Sounds awesome
It's pretty barebones, but if all you want to do is see your games with beautiful covers and launch them, then yes. There are also a variety of themes available - I currently use the PlayOS theme, but that required a bit of customisation. There are other Big Picture themes that work a bit better out of the box.

I use it as the main UI for my gaming PC to launch all my Steam, Game Pass and GOG games.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Any support for achievements? Big part of what makes GoG Galaxy attractive to me if I were to use one.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's pretty barebones, but if all you want to do is see your games with beautiful covers and launch them, then yes. There are also a variety of themes available - I currently use the PlayOS theme, but that required a bit of customisation. There are other Big Picture themes that work a bit better out of the box.

I use it as the main UI for my gaming PC to launch all my Steam, Game Pass and GOG games.
Ooh, i'm doing this now then!

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any support for achievements? Big part of what makes GoG Galaxy attractive to me if I were to use one.
No achievements - those are still tied to your main client. It'd be nice if it did collate your achievements, or hooked into a third party service that did that, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't.

does this include twitch?
It works with both the Twitch and the Amazon Games client.

I want to know, is this as slow and buggy as GOG Galaxy?
Nope. The client runs really nice in desktop and big picture mode. About the only time it takes its time is when it's adding games for the first time, but that's understandable. It will even launch and close your clients if you don't want them all running at once - invaluable for your lesser-used ones like Origin not eating system resources.

This kills it for me since gog galaxy does it. I use gamepass a lot. I assume this doesnt even have subscriptions like gamepass included?
Game Pass games you've downloaded and installed are added automatically. The post you quoted is years old.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
The biggest issue I have with it right now is duplicates. I get why it's showing the multiples, but I kinda wish it would put the launcher name in parentheses.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This kills it for me since gog galaxy does it. I use gamepass a lot. I assume this doesnt even have subscriptions like gamepass included?
That's an old post you quoted. It automatically imports any Windows Store and Game Pass games you've got installed now.

Really slick. PlayNite is great as a Big Picture Mode. Imports from all launchers and has everything in one place, also really fast at launching games and you can add pre and post game scripts etc easily too.

The biggest issue I have with it right now is duplicates. I get why it's showing the multiples, but I kinda wish it would put the launcher name in parentheses.
Report this stuff in their forum. Feedback gets listened to and it's come a long way in a relatively short space of time.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You can hide games. I just hide the dupes on the inferior platform (=not Steam).
Does anyone else have problems connecting Twitch with PlayNite?
It just continues to ask for Authorization even though I have successfully logged in multiple times already... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also done with the cover sweep
AOR40Lm.png
This is amazing but I just can't do this for 3000+ games (that itch.io bundle alone would kill me, lol). Still adding all my physical games. But man, this looks so good. Maybe one day :D