• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't able to add my steam account to it, so I gave up. I made sure my account was public and tried different things but it kept failing.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't the main problem imo.

It is the fact that they stay opened even after closing the game. If you play games from a wide variety of launchers, your systray becomes a mess.

What would be grand is if these universal launchers, could be scripted to detect which launchers are launched by the games and kill the launchers once you're done with the game.

Some open source solutions do. I'm using a script that lets me add Origin games to Steam. When I launch the game thru Steam it launches the Origin client then the game. Steam overlay works and I can even take screenshots as if it were a native steam game. Once I exit the game , game closes , Origin closes.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't the main problem imo.

It is the fact that they stay opened even after closing the game. If you play games from a wide variety of launchers, your systray becomes a mess.

What would be grand is if these universal launchers, could be scripted to detect which launchers are launched by the games and kill the launchers once you're done with the game.
Playnite has an API you can work with to create scripts that fit your demands I think.
https://playnite.link/docs/tutorials/intro.html

If Steam Big Picture would make that kind of scripting available I wouldn't hesitate a second, but it's too much of a hassle to add everything manually and then figure out how to make a non-steam overlay vanish so it doesn't conflict with the steam overlay etc.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't able to add my steam account to it, so I gave up. I made sure my account was public and tried different things but it kept failing.
You can use the API key method, click on the button, log in, get your API key and paste it in the text field. Also changing your privacy settings can take a while before the change was really made, you should give it at least a an hour or two after you've changed.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You can use the API key method, click on the button, log in, get your API key and paste it in the text field. Also changing your privacy settings can take a while before the change was really made, you should give it at least a an hour or two after you've changed.
Getting the API asks for a domain name. I don't have one.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
I made some custom covers for my games, really happy with them:

qOD36eD.png

You don't need to put in your credentials.
Ah, Dishonored 2. I see you are a person of good taste.

If we don't get a Dishonored 3, i'll be so sad.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah same here. It added my Steam games which were installed, but not the ones that are not. Everything else (Battle.net etc.) added fine.

It was because of this I gave up, but I'd definitely be interested in trying this again in the future.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Use this all the time now, only downside is it doesn't play well with Discord and it's game activity./

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a great idea but it's ugly af.

As a couch gamer, multiple launchers totally puts me off PC gaming, but something like this could sway me in future if it becomes more refined.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded this just to tinker with it, fully expecting to just stick to Steam for my universal launcher, but as soon as I saw that this tracked time for everything launched through the app--I burned through my whole Saturday making icons for my games:

Not Pictured: The 100+ other icons I spent the day making.

I love this.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty neat. Much easier than adding non steam games to Steam. I think I'll use Playnite for all my non Steam games. Very useful to have my non steam library together within the platform filter in playnite.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I have to check this out when I get home. What's the install size of this app?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I see right now is the platform filter doesnt work in full screen mode? At least I haven't seen how to access the platform filter. I don't need a listing of my steam games in full screen mode.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I don't really see the point of this. You can already add all your shortcuts to Steam. It's probably easier just to throw all your shortcuts into a folder and have no launcher at all tbh.
You can, but it doesn't give you the control that you have with Playnite. For example, you can not rename a purchased game in Steam (well officially). While this may not be an issue for some, I for one find it rather annoying that Ultimate DOOM is at the very bottom of my list and not near the top of it with the rest of the DOOM franchise.

Here is another example - Tomb Raider (2013):

STEAM
q1LM0GW.jpg

PLAYNITE
i2UCe4m.jpg

FudJbhw.jpg

Mar 29, 2018
How does it/Does it work with Steam Link at all?

I get increasingly frustrated I can't play Uplay/Origin games from my couch and it makes me buy more stuff (at a higher cost) from Steam.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Can it keep your games updated though?

That's the bigger problem with having a bunch of launchers, that you need to keep them all running in the background if you want all your games kept up to date.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I do like the way it looks and consolidates everything, but for me, the vast majority of my games are done out of Steam anyway, and I only load the other launchers on the off-chance I want to play something there that I don't have in Steam (which is rare).

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in to say that this software is fantastic and has really feng shui'd my emulators, love how all the games are all catalogued and ready to launch from this now as opposed to faffing around in the file directories.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can, but it doesn't give you the control that you have with Playnite. For example, you can not rename a purchased game in Steam (well officially). While this may not be an issue for some, I for one find it rather annoying that Ultimate DOOM is at the very bottom of my list and not near the top of it with the rest of the DOOM franchise.

Here is another example - Tomb Raider (2013):

STEAM
q1LM0GW.jpg

PLAYNITE
i2UCe4m.jpg

FudJbhw.jpg

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for this post. I've waited for years for Steam to allow game renaming, and we still don't have it. Setting Playnite up now.

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
I enjoy using it for game from Uplay, Origin and Store Games. Most of them I completely forget that I own games on Uplay :D and Origin I cant start without a game for some reason. Dont want to reinstall it.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
zBToDB1.png

I've waited so long to do this. Now I just need to buy World of Final Fantasy, and Square needs to port I and II.

My cover view is horrendous, but I still like seeing my collection like that. Maybe one day I'll try and make some covers for smaller games that don't look right, but I may wait and see how this platform grows before committing so much time. It would be nice if the publishers would back a launcher like this, kind of like Movies Anywhere was adopted by (most) movie studios, allowing purchases to be played on Movies Anywhere that came from stores like iTunes.

EDIT: Just realized I can't view all of my (uninstalled) shared Steam games, which makes sense. Ah well, I knew there was something that would make this less exciting for me. I have 4 shared libraries on my Steam account, so that is quite a few games to not have.

Last edited:

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyway to add your PlayStation library to this (even though it can't launch of course)?. Just to have a PS section.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Is there anyway to add your PlayStation library to this (even though it can't launch of course)?. Just to have a PS section.
I mean, you can just manually add entries and fill out the information and media yourself, and then leave the installation information blank, but seems like a lot of work for little use.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
So I installed it, and I will say it's good for keeping track of games, but I kinda prefer Discord for launching purposes.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it normal that uninstalled Origin games don't have icons ?

VB8bENm.png

It's ugly.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Been seeing a couple of these threads around. Decided to install and play with it myself. It's not a bad thing to have around, I suppose.

I don't know how to get it to import ScummVM stuff. Anybody know anything about that?

Oct 25, 2017
Just installed this today. It's nice to have something to track playtime for non-Steam games, but only time will tell if I actually make use of it.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Gotta say, this looks really nice. I've been using LaunchBox which is similar, but a lot less sleek.