• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
they're not THAT annoying or noticeable, c'mon. hardly a reason to put someone away from trying something
plus i think that if you turn off chat you can hide them too? maybe its only on console though
They may have (hopefully) added that option since the last time I played it which was a while ago. But the time I did it really was constant and filled with troll character names like fake game of thrones spoilers and shit.
Does anyone know if the PS1 port of Diablo is any good? I'm thinking of playing through it for the first time on my hacked PS Classic.
It's very interesting. You control your character directly and autotarget enemies like with Diablo 3 on console, and it pauses when you have a menu open because they're the same menus as the PC version. Most notablly it's 2-player where if one player dies it shifts to single player until the survivor dies or returns to town.

Last edited:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
How IS Divine Divinity btw ? (What a dumb name)

2D art looks good.
Divine Divinity is funny in that, after you finish the first dungeon... it becomes a genuine open-world RPG but with Diablo-style gameplay. Not just that there's a big open world, but that there's dialog choices, puzzle-solving, and in-game cinematics with story. There are some skills that only unlock after doing specific quests or conversations!

It controls like utter jank tho, and it's sometimes extremely difficult to target things, at least in the original release.

But as a gameplay-related plus side, the builds can be just WILD. I did my playthrough with a bow-user that could freeze with his arrows and inflict opponents with some extreme poison. Skeletons are immune to poison so those were often annoying to fight, but...

I killed the final boss almost entirely off-screen. Shooting arrows blindly, it just eventually died to poison while occasionally stuck frozen.

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Divine Divinity is funny in that, after you finish the first dungeon... it becomes a genuine open-world RPG but with Diablo-style gameplay. Not just that there's a big open world, but that there's dialog choices, puzzle-solving, and in-game cinematics with story. There are some skills that only unlock after doing specific quests or conversations!

It controls like utter jank tho, and it's sometimes extremely difficult to target things, at least in the original release.

But as a gameplay-related plus side, the builds can be just WILD. I did my playthrough with a bow-user that could freeze with his arrows and inflict opponents with some extreme poison. Skeletons are immune to poison so those were often annoying to fight, but...

I killed the final boss almost entirely off-screen. Shooting arrows blindly, it just eventually died to poison while occasionally stuck frozen.

That sounds quite fun! I always go for the warrior-paladin-crusader arquetype, is it any good?

Does anyone know if the PS1 port of Diablo is any good? I'm thinking of playing through it for the first time on my hacked PS Classic.

Is quite good. If you are running it on the Classic with retroarch make sure you select the Diablo Music fix on the PcxRearmed core, otherwise the awesome bg music will glitch in-town and in-dungeon every-time you access a menu.

I would say that I liked the PS1 version more than the PC version. I liked the colored lighting and controller approach.

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
Man, and i didnt know how many people actually disliked Diablo 3... I didnt like it either so im glad im not alone.

Really enjoyed 1 & 2 though.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Is quite good. If you are running it on the Classic with retroarch make sure you select the Diablo Music fix on the PcxRearmed core, otherwise the awesome bg music will glitch in-town and in-dungeon every-time you access a menu.

I would say that I liked the PS1 version more than the PC version. I liked the colored lighting and controller approach.
Oh cool! I remember seeing that in the emulator options. Thanks, yeah I'm playing it in Retroarch.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me happy. I think most of those Diablo clones aren't worth playing, TBH. Even the ones that were ok at the time were just outclassed when D2 came out, and then now by D3 or PoE (Which offer different experiences, D3 isn't one of the best selling games of all time because of the name alone, it's fantastic in its own right).

I don't think I could ever go back to D1 at this point, but I'm glad you're enjoying it. It was really special when it hit.

I skipped around the first couple pages but if it wasn't clear regarding quests: They're random in D1, you always get a few specific ones, but otherwise it pulls from a pool, and every playthrough will have different ones. I remember specifically the one that gets you Guardian for instance, which I think was the chamber of bone? I forget, but if so you're good.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017

The PS1 version is overall inferior because the loading times were insane, and it was harder to aim spells. The memory card usage was an issue then (10 blocks), but it shouldn't be an issue for emulation.

The version does have 2 player coop.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
This thread makes me happy. I think most of those Diablo clones aren't worth playing, TBH. Even the ones that were ok at the time were just outclassed when D2 came out, and then now by D3 or PoE (Which offer different experiences, D3 isn't one of the best selling games of all time because of the name alone, it's fantastic in its own right).

I don't think I could ever go back to D1 at this point, but I'm glad you're enjoying it. It was really special when it hit.

I skipped around the first couple pages but if it wasn't clear regarding quests: They're random in D1, you always get a few specific ones, but otherwise it pulls from a pool, and every playthrough will have different ones. I remember specifically the one that gets you Guardian for instance, which I think was the chamber of bone? I forget, but if so you're good.

Yeah, I did the Chamber of Bone, pulled some switches, and then like a hydra briefly appeared or something but I had no idea what it did. Am sure I got Guardian but also... not remotely sure what that does.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I played and finished it for the first time these last couple days. Had a really good time. There were a few floors as a warrior that were a real motherfucker. Just having to learn which parts to clear first to not have lightning flying at you from across the map. The game is way easier with high armor class and dexterity (hit %), missing and getting attack interrupted is the killer. The later maps don't have doors to funnel enemies into either.

The last few floors and Diablo were real easy though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is Hellfire easier than base game or just an impression of mine? After my warrior on DI decided to start another save on nightmare with a rogue and its... easier so far? Dunno if i'm having more luck with drops, mobs or whatever. Even tanking with the rogue is easier despite this making no fucking sense.

But I watched a Postmortem with Brevik and he kept saying dee ablo.

WHO TO BELIEVE!

me
its dái-yew-bleu

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Hit the minimum stats you need to wear the best armor and weapons, dump all the rest in stamina, and pretend it's a very deep system.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Hit the minimum stats you need to wear the best armor and weapons, dump all the rest in stamina, and pretend it's a very deep system.

I was initially spreading them out with an eye towards strength and vitality but an earlier post recommended, for my warrior strength build, to focus on dexterity so I've kinda been pumping that up for like the last several levels.

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
There isn't really a link. It's years worth of everything from announcement to way post-release. From "WoW-cartoony graphics" whining (givingthe Celda idiocy a run for its money) to then finally legit complaints about the game once out.

Ahh, i get you. Still blows my mind the "critical acclaim" this game got from the media yet the community doesnt like at all.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Ahh, i get you. Still blows my mind the "critical acclaim" this game got from the media yet the community doesnt like at all.
Well this is one of those massive IP games that just has such a large audience where there's enough of them to have it make lots of bank and like it well enough and then still have a very large group of players who just don't like what they put out. The expansion smoothed over a lot of the criticisms and rejiggered the game to be much better received overall. This is a very broad and simplified summary of things.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 is a great game. It just isn't a worthy sequel to Diablo 2, which wasn't a surprise after Blizzard North dissolved. Jay Wilson and his development team had to pick up the project, but unfortunately they had no idea what made Diablo tick, exemplified when Jay proudly proclaimed that they doubled Inferno's difficulty from internal testing. Diablo 2 was never a difficult game if you knew how the mechanics worked. After its troubling release, they tried to fix it but the damage was already done. The design templates in place made sure it could never match the horror elements of the first two games.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If you end up liking Diablo 2 as well, consider giving the Grim Dawn: Reign of Terror mod a shot.
It's the entirety of Diablo 2: Lord Of Destruction (all items, classes, systems, maps) remixed with Grim Dawn classes and items. It's an astounding mod, although I don't think I would play it before the original. It can get quite broken, as you can spec in to two Diablo 2 classes simultaneously (Paladin + Sorceress is completely absurd).
I actually like it more than Diablo 3.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I have always preferred Diablo 2. I liked 1 (But I think the PS1 version is more fun) and Diablo 3 while fun, was not my favorite.

UNTIL LAST YEAR.

• I replayed Diablo 1 on GOG and on the PS1
  • I replayed Diablo 2 and Baal, with CRT shaders added on top to better appreciate the 2D art
  • I replayed Diablo 3 on the Switch, on the PC and on the Xbox One X

Diablo 3 is extremely fun. Mechanic-wise, just playing with a controller = Diablo 3 is king

(I'm talking from the perspective of Single Player only, I like to play these games from begging to end with each classes. I don't care about the multiplayer or extra stuff)

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea there was a PSX version of Diablo back in the day. Did anyone here play it? And if so, how was it?

Only way I actually played through it. A save would take up every file in a memory card. Remember first investing in a multi-memory card because of this game(could switch between cards with a switch on the card itself). Needless to say, this eventually gave out and I lost my Diablo save, and that was that. :p

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really excited for you to get Diablo 2. Truly one of the greatest of all time.

Yeah, I can't wait. So happy I didn't just go straight to 3, to be honest. This way I can appreciate the franchise's legacy - and inspiration on other games - much better.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yeah, I can't wait. So happy I didn't just go straight to 3, to be honest. This way I can appreciate the franchise's legacy - and inspiration on other games - much better.
That's how I first played through the Metal Gear Solid series 11 years ago. Best way to go through those. Always a good move if you've got the time.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm on Floor 10 and this shit is HARD man. I'm slowly, VERY slowly chipping my way through this but it definitely feels like I've hit a wall. I'm Level 18, my Dex is 55, Strength 50, and Vit at 63 (thanks to some rings/amulets and such). Be straight with me... is it just better for me to take this character and start the adventure over, building on him to something even higher if I want to complete this without TOO much of a hard time? Or is it still totally feasible to finish a run first time?

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Oh no......... I've learned how easy it is to dupe items.......... pls don't judge me Era..........

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Diablo 2 is really great as a sequel too. It's a perfect example of moving to a larger scope adventure while staying faithful to the right parts of the original.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I'm on Floor 10 and this shit is HARD man. I'm slowly, VERY slowly chipping my way through this but it definitely feels like I've hit a wall. I'm Level 18, my Dex is 55, Strength 50, and Vit at 63 (thanks to some rings/amulets and such). Be straight with me... is it just better for me to take this character and start the adventure over, building on him to something even higher if I want to complete this without TOO much of a hard time? Or is it still totally feasible to finish a run first time?

nah that floor is just really hard in particular. It's the lava one that is wide open with a million things aggroable at once right? The cool thing about these kinds of games is that with every 1 enemy you kill it gets easier. Honestly that might have been the hardest floor in the game for me, though there was another later that was rough.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
nah that floor is just really hard in particular. It's the lava one that is wide open with a million things aggroable at once right? The cool thing about these kinds of games is that with every 1 enemy you kill it gets easier. Honestly that might have been the hardest floor in the game for me, though there was another later that was rough.

You're spot on. After I cleared that floor I managed to make it to Floor 13, the first Hell level, without any real issue... and then I died within a single minute. I can feel the endgame coming. I'm very excited. Not without its frustrations, this has been a fantastic videogame experience for me.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
It's good that you didn't, because Diablo 2 became the "game to beat" and to this day, no other release in the genre (right now) has managed to be strong in the exact same areas Diablo 2 was in its time. They're always lacking something, if not compared to Diablo 2 itself, then their contemporaries

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
god I love Diablo 1's lore/story/atmosphere. It just oozes gothic horror and I love it for that.

I mean, you've got a corrupted archbishop in a small medieval village leading his parishers into a deathtrap inside a cathedral that somehow sits atop a portal to Hell.

The fact that you're constrained into a single location all the time and you must press ever downward (shortcuts notwithstanding) makes it incredibly atmospheric for me - you're not only going always down, descending non-stop into madness and evil, you're literally descending into Hell.

Fucking glorious. It's rough as fuck in terms of gameplay (with both sequels being far, far better than the OG) but atmosphere wise? Only a couple of moments in D2 can compare.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no......... I've learned how easy it is to dupe items.......... pls don't judge me Era..........

Nah that's fine. Keep in mind this was likely designed to be replayed to delve further in subsequent playthroughs. This would have been great back in the day but you have another 12 games to play. :p

Nov 8, 2017
I got the game but the mouse speed seems crazy high. Is there a good way to deal with that other than literally changing my mouse settings with external software?

Also is 640x480 the native res of the graphics?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Hey OP, I realize you're already decently far into the game, but I figured I would drop some tips on starting Diablo and Diablo 2 anyway since both are some of my favorite games of all time (Diablo 2 is certainly my favorite, and the original is a contender for the top ten).

Diablo
- Don't play the expansion, at least not at first. Play the vanilla game. The expansion was developed by a different team and it seriously messes with the balance and atmosphere of the original game. Blizzard North rightfully disowned this expansion and learned from their experience when developing the sequel. I know that you're decently far into the game, but I'd honestly suggest starting over anyway since you're not quite at the halfway point yet and... well, starting over in Diablo is really cool anyway.
- I saw a suggestion to play in a solo multiplayer game instead of a singleplayer game posted in this thread. Don't do this. Many important features of the game are singleplayer only. For example, in SP the game will give you a semi-random assortment of quests from the quest pool (such that not every singleplayer game will contain the butcher, for example), whereas in MP you will get the same quests every time. Also, certain items can't drop in MP for reasons that aren't worth explaining. The main incentive to play MP (...besides the other players, which I would avoid for your first playthrough anyway) is the ability to play on the harder difficulties, but it's actually possible to do this in SP anyway. Google it or PM me if you want to know how to do this, although it's important to note that this is only a practical option after you've beaten the game once already.
- The shift key is your friend. It prevents you from moving while attempting to attack or cast a spell. You should use it often.
- Although it's perfectly acceptable to start the game as any class, you may want to know that while the warrior starts out the easiest of the three it rather quickly becomes the most challenging class to play. Rogues are pretty strong throughout but require a fair bit of finesse and patience to play as the game goes on. Sorcerers have a hard time in the early game but by the catacombs or so become completely broken.
- You can grind in this game by choosing the new game option when you load your character. This will cause the game to retain your stats and inventory but reset the game world, meaning that if you have any items on the ground in the town they'll be gone, any quests you've completed will be reset, and the game will randomly generate a new world (with new quests as mentioned above as well as a new monster pool). This is one of the game's main features, and you would be wise to take advantage if you find yourself having trouble after a certain point in the game. Having said that, it's very possible to play through the game entirely in a single pass if you so desire.
- This game has a lot of quirks. Although I probably wouldn't recommend doing this while you're still early in the game, you might want to look up Jarulf's guide. It's a very detailed guide that outlines all of the game mechanics in exhaustive detail and it covers all of the strange gameplay things you can do.
- Watch out for the black death enemy type (they're bright yellow zombies). They're the only enemy in the game that can permanently lower your stats. Note that there is something of an unintentional thing you can do with this particular enemy that's quite interesting, but you're not going to find it by accident.
- Save before you kill Diablo.
- There is no cow level.

Diablo II
- Do play the expansion first. Although there's nothing wrong with the base game, the expansion is viewed by the vast majority of the player base as being a massive improvement over the original. Consequently, I think it makes more sense as a starting point and if you get curious about what nonx is about you can always check it out down the line.
- Diablo 2 is a considerably more complex game than its predecessor, but the basics are still pretty straightforward. Accordingly, don't get bogged down googling stuff and trying to figure out how to min-max your character, at least not at first. The current version of the game is designed such that you can beat the game on normal difficulty doing just about anything.
- With that in mind, you really shouldn't treat the game as over once you've beat normal. In Diablo 2, the fun really only begins when you get to the third difficulty, where the challenge is stepped up considerably. This might sound like a slog, but the second difficulty takes comparatively little time to get through. Incidentally, you will probably find at this point in the game that unless you happened upon a very strong strategy for the first two difficulties that whatever you were doing up until this point will stop working.
- Play singleplayer, at least at first. Diablo 2 does still have an active multiplayer scene but it's really not a newbie-friendly environment and it's a terrible way to experience the game for the first time. If you do heed my suggestion, look into the runeword mod and gomule. You're probably not going to understand what these things do at first but they're very handy utilities for singleplayer. You can certainly play the game completely unmodded, but both of these tools simply allow you to access inexplicably multiplayer-only "features" in the singleplayer game. As an aside to this, singleplayer characters can be played in multiplayer and there is a rather lively Diablo 2 singleplayer community (including myself), so if you have the yearning to play with other players or you find yourself stuck, that's something to keep in mind.
- The first thing you should do when you install the game is go into the ingame options and change the resolution to 800x600. Also, look into setting up the glide wrapper as it will make the game look and play much better.
- There is no cow level...?

If you've got any questions about these games, don't hesitate to ask! I'm very passionate about both of them (although I think Diablo 3 is garbage and my advice would be to avoid it entirely) and I highly encourage people to check them out.

Also is 640x480 the native res of the graphics?
The original Diablo caps out at 640x480, yes. Diablo 2 can go up to 800x600; it's possible to increase the resolution beyond this but it breaks the AI in pretty fundamental ways.