• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
It all started when we were having discussions about Terry when he was announced , and they always went a little something like this:

Me: You seen Terry from KOF is in Smash?
Him: Yeah...who is he, no one's heard of him
Me: He is kinda not mainstream but there's still plenty of people out there who know and love stuff by SNK
Him: I thought he was SEGA
Me: No
Him: Well whatever what a waste of a slot
Me: Oh

He's been really apathetic about the whole situation, not caring about Terry or all the SNK stuff and why I'm super excited (I'm not really a gamer, but I love my fighting games) because he just doesn't get it. He always likes to go on about relevancy but when I mentioned that Joker nor Cloud weren't that relevant by his logic (2 characters he loves) he got super defensive.

Now I've never stooped so low to say that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game (I don't care for the whole argument) but he's been sending me stuff over Facebook regarding fighting games. I told him once that Tekken 3 was the highest selling fighting game at one point, but then he sent me screenshots showing Smash Bros Ultimate is now the highest selling fighter(which is true) and then started going on about how Tekken was stupid and weird because it has characters like a kangaroo boxer. He also likes to proclaim that Street Fighter II is the best fighting game of all time because he saw an article about how Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection was the best fighting game to play at the moment, which he reasoned that "it was because of all the versions of Street Fighter II". He played II on the GBA when he was a kid like I also did when I was younger but we're both 20 so it's not like we were both part of that massive cultural boom when it came out.

TwistedN

Mar 23, 2018
There's this weird air that surrounds smash, "If my character isn't in I don't care" it really doesn't help that everyone is requesting their Christmas list of characters.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Your friend just sounds kind of annoying tbh, loads of Smash fans have embraced Terry with open arms

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds just like an ignorant dude. Nothing to do with Smash or the fighting game genre.

To be fair, though, Terry isn't a household name.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Your friend is just a dumbass with I'll informed opinions. Not all Smash players are like him.

Send him a link to this thread too so he can see these posts and feel bad.

Nov 17, 2017
That's not exactly a Smash elitist. I was expecting more of an ultra competitive type of person. My first thought was a college friend of mine who always wanted to play Melee but only on competitive stages with no items and would always go all out (I'm not a competitive player so I always got completely stomped) so I stopped playing with him.

That said, why does your friend need to be excited about Terry Bogard? I don't see what the big deal is if he's apathetic about him. Not everyone has to care about the same things you do. That's far from "utter hell."

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The kinda not mainstream bit hurts lol

I guess Garou was the last game people gave a shit to Terry?

He was easily one of the most popular characters here in the 90s.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
We're from the UK. I tried explaining to him that yeah it's cool we got Banjo and Kazooie but like SNK is HUGE in places like South America and East Asia but he just sort of shrugged it off.
Back in the day, in the UK, Terry was well known among people who played games but no, he wasn't like Ryu and the rest of the SF cast.

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Growing up and into college that was always a risk I was willing to take choosing to play games with acquaintances. He is way too dismissive for his own good, I'd be willing to bet you could feign ignorance over something he really likes to piss him off, but what gould would that serve you in the long run?

I'd just be honest and tell him that Terry Bogard is one of the preeminent fighting game characters that has more charisma than anyone your friend could ever main.

I was always gushing over KOF in my local FGC and had run into similar people. I just showed them the game, whooped their asses. Whooped their asses in their main game. Shrugged at them. "I just like Terry Bogard I guess" and went on my way

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I think in this case you should stoop low by claiming Smash isn't a fighting game, there's good fun to be had there

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds just like an ignorant dude. Nothing to do with Smash or the fighting game genre.

To be fair, though, Terry isn't a household name.
^This

It's not as if this has only happened with Terry. I've seen people say the same thing about the Fire Emblem characters, Shulk, Ridley, and so on. If your character is more obscure or niche, expect people to not really care about them

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I never knew that people actually cared about KoF. I knew of the series but I know zero people who actually play it. Terry is awesome to play as though.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I've heard of Terry but never played a Fatal Fury- KoF game before.
He is now my main in Smash.

Dec 1, 2017
I mean there's no harm in just not knowing SNK

He sounds like an ass for being apathetic about you being excited for his game and him shutting you down

Nov 17, 2017
There's this weird air that surrounds smash, "If my character isn't in I don't care" it really doesn't help that everyone is requesting their Christmas list of characters.
It's not weird if you think about it. The biggest appeal of Smash is the characters and everyone is going to want their favorites. So of course if the characters you don't care about are revealed you aren't going to care.

I don't really care about Terry myself, I don't know why that matters. If my friend was trying to get me excited about Terry, I'd just be like "cool, dude. Enjoy it..."

I didn't know who Terry was either.
I only knew who he was because I watch that fighting game guy, Maximillian on youtube.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's not weird if you think about it. The biggest appeal of Smash is the characters and everyone is going to want their favorites. So of course if the characters you don't care about are revealed you aren't going to care.

I don't really care about Terry myself, I don't know why that matters. If my friend was trying to get me excited about Terry, I'd just be like "cool, dude. Enjoy it..."

I only knew who he was because I watch that fighting game guy, Maximillian on youtube.
He's buff pokemon trainer obviously.

Terry-Bogard-Pokemon-Trainer-Smash-Bros.jpg

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really a fighting game fan but can appreciate the sheer historical significance of Terry, which is half of what Smash Bros. is all about. Really, all of the companies that produced hardware should have a character in Smash at this point (lookin' at you Bonk)

then started going on about how Tekken was stupid and weird because it has characters like a kangaroo boxer.

Also this is really funny to me because it implies the ninja frog and the dog that summons cowboys are serious business.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
A true "smash elite" would have watched Sakurai's Terry presentation and understood why he's relevant and important to video game history. Your friend just sounds like a casual with a bad attitude.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Joker and Cloud are pretty inarguably more well known in 2019 than Terry Bogard, especially among gamers outside of Japan and Latin American culture. I don't know why you think it's weird that he's more familiar with them. They're more popular over here than Terry.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh, most people who consider themselves "video game players/gamers" in the US probably didn't know who Terry is, let alone any SNK game. Hell, I only know about SNK not because I've actually played but because saltybet has hundreds of SNK and SNK-based characters in its roster.

Your friend just seems like a weird game, "if i didn't know it then it must be dumb" elitist in general

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It sounds like a collision of 2 worlds, I have a friend who is a fighting fan from the Saturn days and he flat out even refuses to acknowledge Smash Brothers is a fighting game of any sort.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Alex and Roger are my favorite characters in Tekken, so your friend just has bad taste.

In all reality he seems like that kinda person who only wants to talk when its interesting to them or something their opinion "means more" on or something. I avoid talking to people like that because I feel like I'm talking to someone who doesn't want a discussion. Lol

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
step outside the Era bubble. yes, most people don't know who Terry is.

though reading the second part of your post, there definitely is some elitism going on there with him.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine has been trying to get me into Smash for the longest time. He made me play the original one on an N64 emulator: I've found it decent enough but nothing to write home about. He made me play the GameCube game a couple times at this place, it's really not for me. He made me play the Wii version, same result. He even bought me that game when I ended up owning a Wii later on. He made me try multiple characters in the Wii U game, and I was surprisingly okay with playing Bayonetta despite the fact I didn't really like the game. So he bought me the game on 3DS. Last year for Christmas he bought me the Switch game, I think I played it less than an hour before I realized, again, it's not for me. When he and the fiancé are at my place or vice versa they always want to play Smash, so I've put a few more hours into it, most of which were really not fun.

I understand your pain OP. There's people out there who think Smash is like the ultimate expression of videogames, and that preferring anything else to it is sin. If you still don't love it more than life itself you obviously just haven't played it enough. I'm not even a huge fighting game fan, but if for some reason the discourse is about Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct and whatnot, somehow it always rotates back into "yeah but Smash does this and that". It's quite annoying to be fair, but the game's reach over some people is well shown even here by the fact the DLC speculation threads alone have had a total of thousands of pages so far, whereas entire Call Of Duty, FIFA, Battlefield, etc. games (that sell more than Smash) have usually had a single OT. I mean, Fortnite had far less activity.

The hardcore dedication of a sizable part of the Smash community makes it real hard for me to leave decent feedback on the game that isn't overwhelmingly positive. It can't just be that I don't like it, that I don't find some parts of the game too balanced, that some things seem too random for my tastes. It's obviously because I don't get it, because I haven't played it enough, because I need to grind another hundred hours in it to finally get what the greatest game ever is. It can be pretty annoying at times, not gonna lie. All due respect to the more sane members of the Smash community, but some of the mass hysteria around Smash characters and stages makes the Dexit worries look like peaceful protests of a couple mildly disappointed users.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you expect a Smash player to know about fighting game characters?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
He's not a smash elitist.

He literally just doesn't care about fighting games, and it sounds like he's only into smash due to the roster being nostalgia based.

There's nothing wrong with that, but getting into arguments about it is meaningless.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
step outside the Era bubble. yes, most people don't know who Terry is.

though reading the second part of your post, there definitely is some elitism going on there with him.

This is how you spot someone that isn't from Asia or LatAm

@OP, your friend just seem like the worst kind of Smash fan. Does he bitch about fighting game inputs in Smash too?

Nov 17, 2017
He's buff pokemon trainer obviously.

Terry-Bogard-Pokemon-Trainer-Smash-Bros.jpg
Oh god, I've never really taken a close look at his arms. They gross me out so much haha

He's not a smash elitist.

He literally just doesn't care about fighting games, and it sounds like he's only into smash due to the roster being nostalgia based.

There's nothing wrong with that, but getting into arguments about it is meaningless.
Basically this. I don't know why it's important to OP that his friend acknowledge Terry Bogard.

hqdefault.jpg

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
We're from the UK. I tried explaining to him that yeah it's cool we got Banjo and Kazooie but like SNK is HUGE in places like South America and East Asia but he just sort of shrugged it off.

SNK was big in the UK. Like, if you wanted to play a 2D fighting game during the PS2 gen, you basically had SNK as the mainstream, then more obscure stuff like GG. Oh, and Marvel 2 obviously.

Nov 18, 2017
I got to admit even the dismissal of Terry on Era made his announcement kinda harder to enjoy. The Hat Ken talk was supre irritating as someone whose been praying for Terry's inclusion since Ryu was added to smash 4.

Seriously I love smash, and i love fighting games but the smash community & the era community really let me down for Terry's reveal. It did kinda feel like poetic justice that the Sakurai vid so so good and even folks who were dismissive of Terry at first have realized just how much fun the character is.