• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Everybody,

I just picked up Sekiro for the 1st time.
I have played Demon Souls on ps5 already and got recommended this game by so many great people.
The big issue is, I am having severe difficulties progressing, I have no problems going through Dark Souls or Demon Souls, but this game for some reason is absolutely kicking my ass.
I am currently on the
Drunk boss with the fire around the massive house.
If anybody has some tips and tricks to help me make this a bit easier, I would appreciate it!

Thank you all!

Offense

Don't spam the attack button. When you just mash the attack button, you get caught in your own attack animation, and can't do anything until the attack animation is complete, or until you get hit. Plan your sword swings. Like say you plan on swinging your sword 3x, then swing 3x and don't mash the attack. When you're done with the swings, give yourself a split second to figure out your next move by watching the enemy's patterns and how they reacted to your previous 3 (or 2) swings. This will allow you to parry, dodge, or jump out of the way.

You can only plan your swings after knowing the boss patterns, but even when fighting a new enemy, the key is to not swing wildly. Getting greedy with your attacks will just mean you'll get hit. This strategy also works when something unexpected happens. I just had a run against a boss where I was able to swing my sword 5x in a row and is very unusual (see video below). I did it because I wasn't spamming and gave myself a split second to see what the next move was.

If a boss has a weapon and can do thrust or sweep perilous attacks, the best way to determine whether you should jump or mikiri is by looking for the blue flash of light on their weapon. The positioning of that light will tell you exactly what the attack is. You don't need to read the animation. The best part about looking for the light is that you can see the light even through dust and smoke kicked up by combat. The light is designed for easy read on perilous attacks. See the pictures.

HW0stmF.png

sHQEtLu.png

This is just for one boss, but the rule applies to everyone with a bladed weapon. Notice the second image has tons of dust obscuring the boss, but you can see the blue light even through the dust.

Defense

Don't over equip yourself. You can actually use items by pausing the game. Equip as few items as possible so you don't waste precious seconds scrolling through. Also, sometimes you might forget what you have equipped in the heat of battle. You think you're healing but forgot you switched to something else earlier and end up using the wrong thing. I usually just equip maybe 2 healing items and 1 extra item. Hell, I've equipped just the gourd before and nothing else, and it turned out fine.

Learn to fight the camera. Unfortunately, the camera is god awful in this game. So try not to get trapped by the environment. The minute you notice your camera feels too close to Sekiro, you're close to the walls. So learn your arena as well.

First of all, you'll notice I was able to respond to every single one of her attacks. Part of the reason is that I know her moves. The other is because I wasn't spamming the attack button. I didn't miss a single perilous attack.

Notice the rhythm of the attacks were either 1, 2, deflect or 1, 2, 3, deflect. I don't know what she's going to do, but I leave myself with a little room to react.

You'll notice I try to back up whenever she's high up. That's to get a better camera angle. I got lucky in this fight and she didn't jump too far causing any camera issues.

Around 1:57 mark I managed to swing my sword 5x. While I know her moves, this is completely unexpected. I reacted like it was natural because once again, I wasn't spamming the attack button.

Around 2:09 I made a mistake and got hit. I saw the attack and knew what was coming, I couldn't react because I was in the middle of my attack animation. This is the only real hit she scored on me. The other damage came from her unblockable butterflies.

Not all fights will play out like this with an aggressive back and forth. Some fights require a combination of deflecting and waiting for an opening. Some can be fought completely with deflects. There even the occasional boss where doing vitality damage works better than deflecting.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
My tip: embrace the "rhythm" style combat. every enemy has a certain "rhythm" to them, you need to figure it out.

and: patience is the key.

stupidly good game, one of the best last gen games for sure.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Spam block. But be smart about it. Spam it in a way so that your spamming pattern is somewhat close to rhythm of enemy attacks.

Also important tip for people who played souls games: you don't have to dodge unless the game itself tells you to. You can block anything that doesn't cause a red kanji letter to appear. That bull that looks too big to be "blockable"? Yeah, you can block his attacks just fine.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I just beat it yesterday and played through a bit after restarting. I have to say, it really does get easier. I actually beat Genichiro without a sweat in the beginning encounter, and during my first playthrough I didn't even think that was possible and I was just flailing around wondering what to do.

Tips:

1)Notice the enemy combos first so that you can parry
2)Parry
3)Don't spam attack, only attack once unless you are sure enemies wont attack because it'll let you defend or parry, better to keep slicing once and defending than getting hit.
4)dodge at will, dodging is very effective against the bosses, stay close just dodge to the sides, and be ready to block because their attacks do auto target, but huge attack animations will miss and you will be able to hit them back.

That's ALL you will need to beat most of the enemies. Only situation that you legit won't be able to get out of is if you get cornered. So don't get cornered.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
They want you to believe it's a samuraĂŻ/ninja game, but everyone got a Glock or a 50. sniper rifle. Even the monkeys.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Think of the games from From as an evolution of a style. From Demon's to Dark, they were allowing a more safe and methodical approach with 100% block shields and generous stamina windows. They completely stripped away shields and added rally in Bloodborne to force players to be more aggressive and turtle less. They took those lessons to Dark 3, which accounts for the increased speed and aggression of enemy behavior.

Sekiro is the culmination of all of that. They want you to be aggressive and in the thick of every combat and parry/riposte/deathblow everything. One useful thing to know early game is that you can basically spam the parry button to learn the attack and timing windows, and this works for nearly the entire game, excepting only a few specific encounters. Also, unless the prosthetic tools have been changed in patches from launch, learn to use the umbrella, which is amazing, and extends your block/parry timing further and helps extend the punishment windows.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Just know you will get better at parrying as the game goes on. It's satisfying wrecking bosses with parries on NG+ that you had to borderline cheese on original playthrough lol

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever you play a game that a portion of the audience regards as the greatest of all time, just know that you're in it now. This game is going to become who you are for a few weeks. Strap in.

Think of the games from From as an evolution of a style. From Demon's to Dark, they were allowing a more safe and methodical approach with 100% block shields and generous stamina windows. They completely stripped away shields and added rally in Bloodborne to force players to be more aggressive and turtle less. They took those lessons to Dark 3, which accounts for the increased speed and aggression of enemy behavior.

Sekiro is the culmination of all of that. They want you to be aggressive and in the thick of every combat and parry/riposte/deathblow everything. One useful thing to know early game is that you can basically spam the parry button to learn the attack and timing windows, and this works for nearly the entire game, excepting only a few specific encounters. Also, unless the prosthetic tools have been changed in patches from launch, learn to use the umbrella, which is amazing, and extends your block/parry timing further and helps extend the punishment windows.

I never used the umbrella! Now I need to give this a shot. Thanks, guy.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
so how do you defeat Genshiro Ashina?

i've watched five YouTube videos and none of the strategies work.

-getting in his face and being aggressive I can only get off two swings before he backs away. Patched out?

-trying to run to his left unguarded flank, he doesn't even let me get close. That simply doesn't work.

-getting in his face again, and then parrying successfully but unable to block or dodge the spear attack, because his spear is like a radar and it follows me around as opposed to going straight, what do I do here? doesn't work

-jumping on his head and landing with the whirlwind slash, he backs away. Also patched out?

-throwing a ninja star when he uses his bow is too slow. I still get hit.

uuuh I'm out of ideas?

Edit: grinding to best him

Last edited:

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from the other thread that went up around the same time:

To me, the urgency and flow of Sekiro's combat feels very similar to Punch-Out. Anyone who's played the latter series of games knows that as you reach the higher circuits, you can't simply wait to dodge punches and counterattack and still TKO the opponent under the 3-minute timer. Instead, you have to be proactively looking for openings to put the opponent on the defensive and whale on him, but also be very aware of when to pause once they recover their defenses (gloves up in PO, deflect flash/sound in Sekiro). When you're constantly in the opponent's face, you dictate the pace of the fight, and make it feel like they're responding to you rather than the other way around.

Just compare the constant aggression between this fight with Mr. Sandman in Super Punch-Out and one of the earlier minibosses in Sekiro:

This is of course high-level play in both cases, but you get a sense of how you interrupt and limit your opponent's attacks by pushing your own, and the faster you go, the sooner you fully break their defenses (dizzy in PO, posture break in Sekiro).

Letting go of the Souls comparison and understanding this analogue is hugely helpful to appreciating Sekiro for what it is in my opinion.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Hey OP, because of this thread, I decided to pick it up again. 4th attempt at this. I loved DS 1&3, and really loved Bloodborne. This has just been too much for me.
Started the game over, read this thread, took the tips to heart, starting watching those youtubes on mechanics, and got farther than all previous attempts.
I was stuck on Juzuo for a while, but the frustration turned to learning and enjoyment.

I think it's starting to click, I think I'm actually starting to Git Gud. Last night I beat the Ashina Elite Jinsuke Saze, Lady Butterfly in two attempts, and the Seven Spears. He took a lot of tries to get down the pattern, but the last time I did it I absolutely slaughtered him.
Still can't quite get the pattern down for the blue ninja down the well, but I'm close.

And got killed pretty quick against Genshiro, I know that's where this game gets real. But looking forward to learning him.

I went from hating this game to loving it. It might be my favorite Souls type now.

Nothing beats the feel and flow when you're doing a quick farming run through the entire level, like a super fast dance.

So thanks everyone for the tips and thanks OP!

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Hey OP, because of this thread, I decided to pick it up again. 4th attempt at this. I loved DS 1&3, and really loved Bloodborne. This has just been too much for me.
Started the game over, read this thread, took the tips to heart, starting watching those youtubes on mechanics, and got farther than all previous attempts.
I was stuck on Juzuo for a while, but the frustration turned to learning and enjoyment.

I think it's starting to click, I think I'm actually starting to Git Gud. Last night I beat the Ashina Elite Jinsuke Saze, Lady Butterfly in two attempts, and the Seven Spears. He took a lot of tries to get down the pattern, but the last time I did it I absolutely slaughtered him.
Still can't quite get the pattern down for the blue ninja down the well, but I'm close.

And got killed pretty quick against Genshiro, I know that's where this game gets real. But looking forward to learning him.

I went from hating this game to loving it. It might be my favorite Souls type now.

Nothing beats the feel and flow when you're doing a quick farming run through the entire level, like a super fast dance.

So thanks everyone for the tips and thanks OP!
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Don't be afraid to youtube a boss battle. I did only if i had a super hard time defeating a boss.
The game is amazing and even through I wanted to quit a billion times, I always came back and felt even more rewarded.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
wtf i never knew this.

Yeah, I remember noticing that posture recovered much faster when holding block. I had never played a Souls game, but I noticed it's the absolute opposite, when holding the shield up your stamina recovery is slowed down (okay, posture != stamina, but you get the point).

For Genichiro I remember avoiding some of his attacks because I found it difficult to parry. Once you get to the third phase it becomes much easier, because he shoots lightning that you can redirect at him by jumping and pressing the attack button.

Oct 26, 2017
Don't give up, but take breaks if you get exhausted

Hesitation is defeat

Learn how the parry mechanics work asap, as well as posture

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis

Haha!

Hesitation is defeat really is the best tip. Seriously.

And I need to remember that as stated right above, hold block more to help posture.
This game is crazy because it's exactly the opposite of all of our training from previous games.

I know people talk about it all the time in these threads, but once you experience and it clicks, it's just so damn clever. So well designed to make you unlearn years of Souls techniques.

I never understood how people could think this game a masterpiece, but yeah I get it now, it's amazing.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
My tip is to have a chill game to play as well when you need a break. Get to a boss/section that keeps killing you? Take a break, play something relaxed and come back later.

I'm bouncing between this and fell seal. Every time I play that then come back I seem to breeze through whatever was troubling me. Sometimes looking at a fight with a fresh head helps.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
If you have rested near an idol and close to a challenging boss, try to exchange your money for coin purses and make sure you reach the next level with your "ability points" so that way you will be barely penalized when dying.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Haha!

Hesitation is defeat really is the best tip. Seriously.

And I need to remember that as stated right above, hold block more to help posture.
This game is crazy because it's exactly the opposite of all of our training from previous games.

I know people talk about it all the time in these threads, but once you experience and it clicks, it's just so damn clever. So well designed to make you unlearn years of Souls techniques.

I never understood how people could think this game a masterpiece, but yeah I get it now, it's amazing.
Yep. I didn't know that an enemy's health affects how quickly their posture regenerates so I spent way too much time really focusing on parrying. Once I saw the tip about health and mixed in health damage and aggression, woo boy.

That said, enjoy, and:
www.youtube.com

Bachman Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet 1974 Video Sound HQ

BTO - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (Single, Album, Not Fragile 1974)Randy Bachman - Vocals, Guitar C. Fred Turner - Bass Blair Thornton - Lead Guitar Robbie Ba...

;)

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Yep. I didn't know that an enemy's health affects how quickly their posture regenerates so I spent way too much time really focusing on parrying. Once I saw the tip about health and mixed in health damage and aggression, woo boy.

That said, enjoy, and:
www.youtube.com

Bachman Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet 1974 Video Sound HQ

BTO - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (Single, Album, Not Fragile 1974)Randy Bachman - Vocals, Guitar C. Fred Turner - Bass Blair Thornton - Lead Guitar Robbie Ba...

;)
Oh I can't wait. Like I said, this has turned from pure frustration to super addictive puzzle solving.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Play aggressively, don't give them time to recover posture, parry is the key but dodge is great against a lot of enemies, especially the big ones.
Unlock L1+ O move as soon as possible. ( I don't remember the name)

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I didn't know for a long time was that guarding actually recovers your own posture really dang fast. It's a pretty good idea, if you're getting overwhelmed, to back off for a few moments and block for even a second.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Not gonna specifically quote as a few users have said it but telling someone who is asking for tips in Sekiro to just "spam L1/LB since you'll get the parry" is possibly the worst advice you can give. You're only setting them up for failure in the long run.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing it right now and I didn't know that guarding recovers your posture. That's a cool tip.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
tips for Sekiro:

1) use the practice trainer until you can beat him 5 times in a row in every challenge w/o losing ANY health.
2) Get Mikiri counter early- and practice it. A LOT
3) The enemy AI works like in any other stealth game- if you run away far enough, their alert WILL re-set. Use this to whitte down the number of supporting mooks before taking on mini-bosses.
4) Explore. There's a lot of beads in early areas that'll make your life easier. Always look up.
5) Every enemy has a weakness. You may need to die a lot to figure it out. That's okay.
6) Some shinobi tools make certain bosses a cakewalk. Don't be afraid to experiment.
7) Later on, when there's elemental damages, the shield is your friend.

Have fun! And remember, this isn't a doge-hit game. you're a swordsman, and it's all about parrying and hearing that satisfying "cling", Many times in a row.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Small question regarding resurrection: How does the first node work exactly? Only on very few occasions I was able to resurrect twice but I don't really know how it's triggered. I have three points now.

resurrection-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-wiki-guide.jpg

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Make sure to learn how to parry very early on or else it will get very hard towards the end. Parrying is done when you block before the enemy hits you. It's extremely important when fighting boss fights.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Don't be as stupid as me and learn your counters. Without spoiling - look closely around your areas. Especially at the beginning.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Small question regarding resurrection: How does the first node work exactly? Only on very few occasions I was able to resurrect twice but I don't really know how it's triggered. I have three points now.

I'm still about 1/2 or so through the game, I think one is a freebie, and the other you fill with death blows.

Not exactly sure, I'm in the same boat, I got two resurrections last night on a boss and it surprised me. Did 3 mini bosses last night. Just loving this game. Centipede, great for timing deflect practice.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I think one fundamental thing that you should realize early on is that parrying attacks aggressively is not always the solution because some bosses have really fast posture recovery. So focus on whitling health down to a point where your parries start to matter a lot more. When you see the posture bar recovering slower on a boss then thats the time to go ham with attacks and deflects. Otherwise your deflects are just going to matter very little since they recover so fast.

Every boss fight is simple once you figure this out. Ofcourse regular enemies can just be defeated mostly parrying without worrying too much about health save the big giant type enemies.

Dec 6, 2017
US
A big switch happened for me when I stopped banging my head against enemies whose posture recovers too quickly for me. Take the time to whittle down some of their health to hamper their posture recovery time first if you're getting frustrated.

Also, the 'hold block for faster posture recovery' is such a troll move on From's part, it's the exact opposite in Souls games so I instinctually never hold block if I don't HAVE to.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

I'm still about 1/2 or so through the game, I think one is a freebie, and the other you fill with death blows.

Not exactly sure, I'm in the same boat, I got two resurrections last night on a boss and it surprised me. Did 3 mini bosses last night. Just loving this game. Centipede, great for timing deflect practice.

Hmm I'm not sure but I think you have to use your free resurrection first and deal a deathblow to the (mini)boss for it to work.

About the dragon mask that increases your attack power, if you use the skill points for it does it also increase the necessary exp points to reach the next skill point level or does that only happen when you acquire new skills?

Last edited:

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
This is not a game a out dodging OP, this is a game about getting in their face, seeing that attack coming and bravely blocking it.

Be fearless, and face it head on, as the adage says, "hesitation is defeat".

Once you get the rhythm of parrying enemies' attack, the whole game becomes much much easier. Every attack no matter how big or impossible it is, as long as it doesn't have kanji sign appearing, can be parried.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
My tip is to have a chill game to play as well when you need a break. Get to a boss/section that keeps killing you? Take a break, play something relaxed and come back later.

I'm bouncing between this and fell seal. Every time I play that then come back I seem to breeze through whatever was troubling me. Sometimes looking at a fight with a fresh head helps.
I considered trying to play Sekiro and Yakuza 0 like this, with some additional head-canon linking the two as flash-back / forward chapters of a single story. Neither game seems to have properly clicked for me yet ... but the attempt is still making me smile at least.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just did the
segment where you have to break back into the castle & fight your father at the top. I have all the stuff needed to unlock the Fountainhead Palace.
How much more do I have left to finish the game?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I just did the
segment where you have to break back into the castle & fight your father at the top. I have all the stuff needed to unlock the Fountainhead Palace.
How much more do I have left to finish the game?
Depends on how much side-content you do, but maybe 15% left? You're in the home stretch but not quite done yet.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't play it like a souls game, play it like Bloodborne. You need to be aggressive