• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
With all the buzz around Resident Evil 2 I figured I should finally play the original game. I didn't have a Playstation at the time, and mostly played RE1 on Saturn, and Code Veronica on DC. I'm playing the GameCube version but I don't think it matters.

What are the best tips for playing this game without running out of ammo on bosses?

Is there a specific order to play? What does difficulty change?

Are there any good spoiler free guides or maps to help me through? I get lost easily.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Calire A Leon B is the canon story. You shouldn't run out of ammo for bosses so long as you don;t waste your big guns (grenade launcher, magnum, etc, on small fries like zombies.

A small tip: Get to the police station without picking up any items along the way for a cool bonus.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's some tips:

Lickers are blind, you can avoid some confrontations with them if you walk quietly pass them instead of run.
Zombies are easy to avoid if you lead them to a wall and then run pass them on the opposite side.
Don't bother fighting dogs, just run in a zigzag line to best avoid them.
Claire A, Leon B is the canon route, it's also the best ways to experience the story.
You can one shot zombies by aiming up with a shotgun when they're close to you.

Kirabochips

Oct 29, 2017
Claire A / Leon B has the best narrative.
Do not pick unnecessary fights with zombies. When you do, don't waste bullets and use the knife as much as you can. You can stab zombies when they're on the ground.
When you get the shotgun, try to lure zombies so you can bust multiple heads with a single shot.
When you have the choice, lower the blinds on the east side of the precinct. Securing this corridor will prove very useful later in the game.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Look for supplies everywhere, you should have a surplus when you finish a scenario

A guide should not be needed, it's pretty linear and straightforward compared to some other games in the series

Do not pick unnecessary fights with zombies. When you do, don't waste bullets and use the knife as much as you can. You can stab zombies when they're on the ground.

eehh the knife is weak and borderline useless in this game, you have enough ammo to take out most things in your way

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
In RE2 you pretty much have enough ammo to kill everything, but you can spare zombies that are easy to run past to give you more of a buffer

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
To further clarify on the lickers comment, if they're moving they can't hear you. But if they're still, stay put.

Ammo is hidden around in the North American version. It's worth it to click around at cabinets, etc to see if you can find anything.

Save your ammo for the first half of the game, but don't feel too bad about using it once you get to the lab. That being said, the lab has little to no handgun ammo.

Try avoiding first aid sprays for a higher ranking and more rewarding challenge. Try and save them for the end.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Prior to this thread, I didn't know that Claire A / Leon B was the canon way to play this game. I always did Leon's route first.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
In RE2 you pretty much have enough ammo to kill everything, but you can spare zombies that are easy to run past to give you more of a buffer

This is sort of true and sort of not true. You definitely get a surplus of ammo after a certain point in the game, but I think a player can run out if they're killing everything in the R.P.D. up to a certain point, when you start getting access to more firepower. Especially if you took anything out on the city streets.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
If you can get to the police station relatively intact the rest of the game shouldn't be too hard.

That initial section will teach you how to dodge zombies and the remainder of the game gives you enough ammo to take the rest out with little difficulty. Here's hoping the Remake will balance the challenge a bit.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018
As Claire, don't grab weapons you don't need.

The Mac 10 is the only weapon you need to worry about.

But be honest, I think it's worth taking as Claire, and leaving the pouches for Leon so that the end of the B pass relies less on backtracking and lets you double up on the upgraded shotgun and desert eagle for all your combat needs. [/SPOILER}

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I usually do Leon A / Claire B, I didn't know the "canon" way was Claire A / Leon B. Is that route that different?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You can turn autoaim on in the options menu.
Do this. The game was designed with autoaim in mind.

There is no canon route. Claire A/Leon B just happens to have more story elements referenced in other games.
This too. All four scenarios are canon in ways. Whilst most people prefer ClaireA->LeonB, either route is fine. Though, ClaireA->LeonB is easier.

Yeah I don't even think it's unlocked for the first play through
It is, you just get told about it after completing the game once.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's an unlimited ammo cheat code you can enter at the title screen. Play it legit if you like, but if it gets too daunting or you back yourself in a corner, well... Light 'em up.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Enable Type C controls in Options, they're the default controls with Auto Aim enabled.

Other than that, I'd say just go in blind and enjoy the game. Be mindful that the game is not over when you beat it once, you need to play Scenario B too to see the whole story and fully appreciate the game. The way that Claire and Leon's campaigns complemented each other was super satisfying back then, can't wait to see how they translated the zapping system on the remake.

Can someone remind me what you get for not picking up any items until the police station?
You meet Brad's zombie right? What item does he carry?

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
What do the difficulty settings do?

No kidding on the knife being ineffective. I remember being able to save ammo in RE1 by stabbing for quick deaths while down.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What do the difficulty settings do?

No kidding on the knife being ineffective. I remember being able to save ammo in RE1 by stabbing for quick deaths while down.
On easy you start with more handgun bullets (120 IIRC) and three first aid sprays. i believe bosses go down more quickly as well.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about ammo. I've been replaying it recently and I found that when I played cautiously I ended the game with a mountain of unused ammo and health sprays/herbs. Don't go wasting all your heavy hitting stuff like the grenades or magnum as you'll need them for bosses, but on the other hand there's plenty of ammo for the lesser weapons, especially if you find the hidden stuff.

IMO Leon's game is easier than Claire's as he gets the shotgun pretty early on. Claire gets the bow gun, but its one hit killing power on zombies is less reliable than the shotgun to the head, and it chews through ammo by firing three shots at once. Claire can pick up the spark shot later in the game which can be handy in saving ammo for the regular guns.

I also agree with using the auto aim option. I don't feel this is cheating as you have worse visibility than the character actually would thanks to the fixed camera angles.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
They're not the default when I chose auto. They're also really weird! It's like Claire is a car! Beep Beep! I can see how Type C might be useful though.
They're called tank controls for a reason. :P

However, give them some time and you'll see that they actually work quite well as the whole game has been designed around them and they're a perfect fit for the fixed-angled camera. I actually love these controls since I grew up with them. I find their best implementation is in RE3/REmake where you have the godly 180 turn move which pretty much eliminates most of the clunkiness when you want to change direction.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I just played through all 4 scenarios for the first time and it was a fucking blast. I'd say don't worry too much about conserving your ammo, they give you way more than in most RE games. Also on your second run get the alt costumes! Claire's alt pistol is fun as hell.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I could be wrong but doesn't scenario A starts on the passenger side (Claire) of the wreck and scenario B starts on the driver side (Leon) of the wreck?

If so, all the more reason to do Claire A/Leon B

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
- When you reach the sewers carry the valve handle with you everywhere until you are out the other side. The number of times that has caught me out over the years...

- Play on normal not easy. Ammo isn't that scarce in this game, run past easy zombies, but don't worry if you have to take a group down. Especially useful in areas you will go back to multiple times such as the Dark Room corridor. With Leon you will get a lot of Handgun bullets and Shotgun Shells so don't worry about using these ammo types on zombies too much, just don't over do it with the Shotgun, use Shotgun on lickers also. With Claire use Acid Rounds on lickers for an often 1 hit kill (wait until they are close and point down). On bosses use the Magnum, Enhanced Magnum or Enhanced Shotgun with Leon and Grenade or Acid Rounds with Claire.

- Use auto aim toy your advantage. When you enter room aim and if you auto aim you know there is an enemy. You can also use L1 to cycle auto aim between enemies. Also useful to see if a zombie is playing dead in a downed group.

I've played this game so many times I could go on forever... I love it.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah I don't even think it's unlocked for the first play through
you get that you can use as soon as you get there.
Oh is it not? Hm, thought it was. If it's not then no worries then lol.
see spoiler above
On my most recent play through the game gave me a screen after I beat it telling me I could do it on the next new game
is that a message for the B scenario?

Can someone remind me what you get for not picking up any items until the police station?
You meet Brad's zombie right? What item does he carry?
right.
he waits down the stairs infront of the RPD.
Leon gets two outfits, claire gets one outfit and a Colt S.A.A

who here will try to not pick anything up in the REmake, when they first play it on the 25th??

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
nah

it's an awesome classic and can help them appreciate what's new in the remake

I would agree with you if you have enough time to reset and be excited for the remake. I love res 2. My second favorite after 1. But i feel like its an overkill if u play the original 2 campaigns and then play the remake 2 campaigns back to back.

I like to give a couple of months between classics and remakes.