• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
e363a3a87430bed557f2fcf5c6c0c49f64abc582v2_hq.jpg

STOP right there criminal scum! You've violated the law!
Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit.

OP
OP
Cantaim

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I am hearing loud and clear to stay clear of vampirism and I understand y'all! I will cure it as fast as possible if I contract it!

I have found myself apart of the Fighters Guild now and I am an illustrious ray protector. My current duties as a man of honor involve me stalking a nice argonian lady in the streets in order to see if she is brining mountain lions into the city to kill rats.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
This game is what started my obsession with anything ES. Sleepless nights. 100s of hours.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Pick a direction and walk. You find some awesome dungeons/quests this way. Also the best thieves guild quest line in the series is in Oblivion (IMO of course)

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
I hear the Fighter's Guild is recruiting. Not a bad way to make some money, if you've got the stones for it.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
There is a glitch you can do at the beginning of the game. Forgot where the dungeon is, but you go there and there's this lady in green (emerald?) armor standing there when you make your way thru. There's a table with a cracked pillar you can jump on that makes her out of reach, but you can whack her in the head until she's dead, taking her armor and weapons. This can be done as soon as you leave the prison, making you a beast at the beginning of the game.

forgot the location but I know it's west of the sewer/ prison.

Oct 27, 2017
Mod out the level scaling. It's so aggressive it fucks the game up. If you pick major skills you use a lot, you'll level up too fast and won't get the multipliers you need to stay competitive.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Best quests in the series. Besides the main quest, but honestly, I've never been big on any of the main quests in TES. Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guilds are tops. Mages Guild has some fun too, though I remember having more fun getting the recommendations from all the guild houses than being in the Arcane University. Though spellcrafting was nifty. I recall making a spell called Bookshelf Dismantler which was low damage but wide area of effect, and would absolutely tank the framerate on PS3 when I fired it around physics objects (namely books in bookshelves).

I like how much of the world is a shiny veneer hiding corrupt, disturbing, or racist workings underneath. People called the setting boring, and I understand the disappointment of Cyrodiil not matching intriguing lore descriptions, but I liked it quite a bit for what it was. And I liked the mystical, haunted Ayleid Ruins more than the busy and dark Dwemer Ruins.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
Do your best to forget the improved movement and animation in Skyrim and take your time. I guess you'll have more fun if you rp for the fantasy setting, rather than trying to just build a juggernaut.. sword and board works for me~

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Oblivion is at the same time the highest budget and lowest budget game in existence, with almost every character of a race/gender being voiced by the same voice actor. Its truly an oddball game to play.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Other than the bug fix patch, I wouldn't change a thing for a first playthrough. Go in blind and have fun. Easily my most played ES, finished virtually every quest and it has the best sidequests in the series. Main one sucks though.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Pop some headphones on, turn all the lights off and just go exploring in the forest at night. Magical experience with a gorgeous soundtrack.

Jan 11, 2019
Everybody's just making fun of you and reposting memes… sigh.

But have you heard of the true heir of the Septim line? You must find him, and shut the jaws of Oblivion.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I don't really have any advice for you, but thanks to you i'm dowloading Oblivion to play it for the first time too.

How good is the modding community for it? Any recommended mods?

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Take skills for your class that level up rather slowly, don't take Athletics or Acrobatics as a main skill.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
- mod it

Not modding:

-pick skills you'll never use and stay level 1

- guild quests are amazing

-have fun

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Like the title says I'm booting up Oblivion for the first time. I've played Skyrim and Morrowind before now but I've never played Oblivion for whatever reason. Well today that ends!

so I wanted to know as a PC played and a first time person to this game. Is there anything I should know about ahead of time? Aside from Bethesda jank?

If you mod it you can make it play and look pretty good for a 2006 game.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I think I put over 400 hours into the 360 version. Play the Dark Brotherhood questline. Best quest out of the whole game.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes get yourself some Magic scrolls as soon as possible. Best thing to do is buy them from the imperial city, get like 20 of the same type.

Next, double click on the scroll in your inventory and then drop any expensive item from your inventory. You should know what to do next.

source.gif

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Don't level up like crazy, put you major skills in things you do less.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
If you don't feel like playing the horrible social mini-game you can just buy friends, there's no shame in it they're all horrific mosteroids that you don't want to stare into the empty, dead eyes of anyway.

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I think it was oblivion where I used an elastic band on the thumb stick of my controller to set me walking on the spot in a corner to get my sneak still up. Maybe don't do that.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If you want to level up fast and have a silly time, put Acrobatics as one of your main skills.

If you want the game to be reasonable, do not put acrobatics as one of your main skills.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I was underwhelmed by the depth of the game coming off of Morrowind, which is my favorite game ever, but Oblivion has the best music in the franchise, the setting is amazing, and the guild quests are fantastic.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Like all Elder Scrolls games, adjust the difficulty slider to your comfort. It's very easy to become extremely OP, or inversely to have mobs scale up and wreck you.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I have continued my journey. Upon seeing Patrick Stewart's death I escaped to the outside world only to find out I had half a dozen Long lost relatives al of whom left me property. Life isn't so bad for this prisoner I guess
lol I forgot the game just dumps all the DLC on you the first time you step outside

Has anyone ever made a mod that fixes this, so you actually have to find the DLC and it's better integrated into the game?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lock picking in the game is rad. There's more skill involved than in future Bethesda games with lockpicking. You can even unlock expert/master level locks at a low level if you know what you're doing! I don't want to spoil the secret, but pay attention to the sounds of the tumblers when you mess with them, and how fast they jump up.

Also I hope you don't stress about minmaxing bc it's a bitch in this game. Not fun. Don't stress about your build too much and just have fun.

The guild quests are arguably the strongest quest lines in the base game. Dark Brotherhood is the best. Thieves Guild is fun as hell too. Mages Guild is v in depth and the start is fun (with a great reward too!) Fighters Guild gets good towards the end. Arena's fun as heck too.

Hold off on doing Knights of the Nine until you wrap up the more evil questlines (particularly dark brotherhood and thieves guild to a lesser extent). Knights of the Nine is v anal about making sure you stay a good guy.

The Bloated Float in the Imperial City Waterfront is a lovely place to spend the night.

Hold on to your Nirnroots. Like Skyrim they don't respawn after you pick them. Unlike Skyrim, they serve a purpose... I think? I know there's a quest line for 'em.

Make backup saves.

Magic is fun as heck in this game. If you're open to modding you're game, check out Midas Magic.

Chameleon is OP. Still worth it tho.

Shivering Isles was the best single player DLC up until Witcher 3s.

Oblivion Gates suck. Theyre also kinda like Dragons in Skyrim, in the sense that they don't show up until you do a few quests in the main quest line. Kvatch should be avoided if you don't want to stress about Oblivion.

One of the Daedric quests involves talking to EVERY SINGLE BEGGAR IN CYRODIL. WITHOUT QUEST MARKERS. Make note of every beggar you come across in your travels if you want to do this quest, or look up a guide afterwards.

Thieving in the Imperial City is fun as hell. Even moreso with the Better Cities mod.

IMO the vanilla game holds up really well when compared to Morrowind or even Skyrim. I have 2–5 essential mods for those two games, but no real essential mods for Oblivion. The unofficial patch is the closest I can think of to an essential mod, maybe some anti-crash stuff too.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Oh, Oblivion on PC has had a great 12 months in modding.
Northern UI and Ultimate Leveling are great. And LINK is the new equivalent of SkyUI.

My advice is to find the best modders on the Nexus - literally pull up their list of created mods - and then see if what they have turned out in the past two years sounds appealing.
^ Truth ^

At the very least I recommend a levelling mod. It was always the weakest part of Oblivion, even from day one it was a weird and dated mechanic.
If you do put the time into modding your game up, it can look gorgeous even by 2020 standards for open world games:

803284-1492381917.jpg

803284-1492200752.jpg