• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I really wish the first game got the nice QoL update that KoTOR II got on PC back in like 2015 or so. It would be cool if it supported widescreen, 4k, etc without having to layer a bunch of mods on top of eachother.

I wanted to replay it earlier this year or late last year but I just replayed II instead because it was a lot less of a hassle. Playing KoTOR on Xbox might be the best way to experience it now unless you don't mind frequent trips to Nexus.

Edit: I guess the fixes generally don't require Nexusmods, but just a lot of other things to play in 1080p.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue the opposite... KotOR2 is not balanced in terms of fights, the crafting system completely breaks the game to the point that you are slaughtering sith masters in one or two hits by end game. Heck, if you stack talents and crafting you can make some sick stuff even early on.

I replay Kotor 1 and 2 every year (and have since they came out!) and can confirm, Kotor 2 is busted on balance if you think about anything for a bit. My most recent playthrough was last week, and I two-shotted Nihilus lol

It's a common problem with a lot of RPGs that have tons of systems. The game is balanced around each system, but not all of them at once. So there are no upgrades, stims, Force powers, items, or feats that are busted on their own (strong yes, but not busted), but in tandem, you become a god.

Go high WIS/CHA as a consular, grab all the Force powers you want by level 15, prestige class as a Watchmen for Sneak Attack, and then bam; every fight can be won by doing Stasis Field/Insanity at the opening (and your high WIS/CHA makes saving unlikely), and then Sneak Attack/Master Flurry/Force Enlightenment absolutely murders everyone.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please dont make me cry.

I installed it a few days ago with plenty of HD mods to make it look better. Just waiting to get my pro controller back from my parents house after I accidentally left it there to play.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I still have no idea how we didn't end up getting KotoR 3. The first two were critical darlings and commercial successes, it just doesn't make any sense!

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Kind of sad that we havent had any star wars game being anywhere close as good as Kotor1 and 2 in all these years. Just started a replay of kotor1 two days ago (spent hours modding it as well) it's as good as ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2 is where it all went wrong.
That's where they learned that they didn't need to have good story, or deep systems and that everybody is just going to be okay if they tell a standard action movie story in a third person shooter as long as the action is explosion-y and there are some memorable characters.
Not even saying ME2 is a bad game. But it's the turning point for Bioware.

I still have no idea how we didn't end up getting KotoR 3. The first two were critical darlings and commercial successes, it just doesn't make any sense!

That's LucasArts for you. I'm pretty sure Star Wars Battlefront II (the old one) was the best selling Star Wars game of all time when it came out in 2005. Also never got a sequel.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an OG Xbox to play this game. One of the best purchases I ever made. Bioware was at it's best with KOTOR

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
KOTOR is a great game. How is it improved one Xbox One S? Any upsides as compared to playing it on PC?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
we can only pray CDPR gets tasked with this specific IP when the EA deal is terminated
CDPR is another company that recently went big and mainstream, have vicious crunch cycles and its Drew Karpyshyn left this janurary (Sebastian Stepien, story writer and designer, lead Witcher 2, former Cyberpunk creative director) which to me says that Cyberpunk is walking the same sort of cycle as Mass Effect 2. It's the unexpected swan song and games after that will be less good.

I know it's speculative and not everything works in patterns but all the manegerial issues, company bloat and shift in company focus is showing from where I stand. I don't want to see CDPR make the real KOTOR 3 and I don't think they will make such kind of quality in the future. Witcher 3 was not purely a passion project. Neither was Mass Effect 1, in fact many left for BioWare Austin the second it opened up to escape the "Enterprise" team.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not always wise to listen to the fans, but to blatantly ignore KOTOR is such a true crime, they should make a netflix show about it.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not everyone's bag but The Old Republic on PC is the closest we're going to get to a sequel. The main class quests are also very well written from the ones I've played.

I've often thought why EA don't take the main stories of ToR, tune the combat and port them to console as a collection of single player experiences.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine KOTOR 3 with Andromeda and Inquisition's big, boring, busy work world design and I'm sorta thankful they didn't even bother.

Oct 27, 2017
Love KOTOR, even if it was a bit of a disappointment when it came out (I hyped it up too much and was hoping for something closer to BG2 in terms of content, although I should have known better)

That's where they learned that they didn't need to have good story, or deep systems and that everybody is just going to be okay if they tell a standard action movie story in a third person shooter as long as the action is explosion-y and there are some memorable characters.
Not even saying ME2 is a bad game. But it's the turning point for Bioware.

That's definitely my feelings on ME2 as well. And I like ME2 ok. It's far from the best thing Bioware has done, but it's not a bad experience. It's still the beginning of the end for them though.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I'm not big star wars fan or wrpgs but I enjoyed this game, seriously a great one. I don't know if all the talent left or what, but if a new one doesn't exist because EA believes it wouldn't 'sell', that's frankly mind boggling.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I made the mistake of buying it a couple of months ago on the 360 store.
Unfortunately in EU territories I believe we're stuck with the localized version. So for me that meant a horrible french dub and subtitles that don't fit the UI and with typos everywhere. Yuck.
If there's a way to for me to have access to the english language version, I didn't find it unfortunately.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Tried playing this a few times in life and it's always just bored me. I had a fried highly recommend it not long after it came out. I couldn't get far. Then later, after falling absolutely in love with Bioware's output post Dragon Age Origins I tried again. Boring. Poor combat. Just couldn't get too far into it.

But I fucking love ME2, 3, and Andromeda plus Dragon Age origins and Inquisition.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Not even saying ME2 is a bad game. But it's the turning point for Bioware..
Gotta agree on this one. I don't hate ME2 but it was not what I was expecting after the great ME.

OP
OP
Ivory Samoan

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Started playing this again recently, and it's sad to even think this was made by the same BW that made Anthem (yeah I know that the whole team won't necesaarily be comprised of exactly the same people).

My one problem with KOTOR has always been whether, imo, I love it more or less than OoT, lol!

Still holding out hope for KOTOR 3 by Obsidian.

OP, if you haven't played SWTOR yet, play it, even just for the Imperial Agent and Jedi Knight storylines.
Absolutely loved the Jedi Knight storyline in SWTOR, and also max leveled an Inquisitor too: I was on board from day one...glorious times that first couple years of SWTOR

Today Kotor feels more like a Obsidian's game than a Bioware game

I know exactly what you mean, and it really makes me sad...BioWare was my #1 for so long, thank the maker for CDPR, Larian and Obsidian.

Neosp

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Where can I find some good graphics Mods for PC?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I spent a decent amount of time playing it last year. It really is so good and having it in 4K is so nice. Shame there hasn't been a BioWare game recently that lives up to it.

Oct 29, 2017
I finally finished it last year for the first time-- I had started it a few times over the years but always got sidetracked before finishing it. It is really great. That companionship feeling, of going on an adventure with intriguing people who you could befriend, become rivals with, get to know everything about, or totally ignore-- and then play the game again and do everything different the next time. That's pure BioWare to me.

I wish BioWare was still making this type of game-- fantasy or sci-fi, action or turn-based, that doesn't matter, but a game that is all about sharing an adventure with a party of intriguing people and developing your relationships with them. Or failing that, I wish another studio would take up the reins. But there just doesn't seem to be any interest in that formula outside of BioWare. I'm tentatively looking forward to The Outer Worlds though. :)

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty sad how bad their output has gotten compared the long period of sustained excellence from earlier BioWare. I'm glad that backwards compatibility is around to keep amazing games like KOTOR around on current technology.