• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a surprise rerelease one day. Maybe not in the next few years, but eventually. It's too solid a game to be forgotten forever, and while it'd need to be rebuilt a lot of the work is done.

I do wonder if it would have performed better on the Wii U or something. A year after release and it only sold one million worldwide. Wii U was a failure, but software sales on that thing were pretty great.

It might not have sold better on the U but it'd be way easier to port if it was made for it.

Eternal Darkness is still stuck on GameCube too. Nintendo gives no fucks about porting if it doesn't star the fat plumber or the elf-boy šŸ˜’ I'd be interested in a Switch port of this, but no. They'd probably port Hotel Mario before this.

Eternal Darkness isn't really alone there, GCN is the only old Nintendo home console besides VB to never be on a Virtual Console service. Hopefully it'll come around when they finally start porting GCN games in general.

Oct 27, 2017
Eternal Darkness isn't really alone there, GCN is the only old Nintendo home console besides VB to never be on a Virtual Console service. Hopefully it'll come around when they finally start porting GCN games in general.

I wish. I have a CIB copy if ED, I just can't be bothered to buy a GCN controller + memory card to play it on Wii. A port would be most welcome.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I wouldn't pay for a port/remaster of this without the same control scheme on the 3DS.

stylus controls is the best way to play this and we're not getting that nor mouse on Switch. who'd want to play this on analog sticks. that's asking for a clear neutering in gameplay meaning you're ok with turning down the speed of the game which KIU doesn't deserve
Would motion aiming not solve that issue?

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Would motion aiming not solve that issue?
It's tricky to solve. Kid Icarus Uprising's style of gameplay is very unusual.

Look at it like this. You have a targeting reticle, but it isn't locked to the center of the camera. In most shooters, moving the camera and moving the reticle are synonymous. Not here. You can very quickly and accurately aim the reticle anywhere in the current general direction of the camera. Or, you can very quickly and accurately turn the camera to face any direction you want. Both of those things are very fast and accurate, but crucially, you can't do both of them in the same motion. Aiming inherently requires the stylus to be touching the bottom screen. Turning the camera inherently requires the stylus to not be touching the bottom screen.

The result is a very hectic style of combat, where you can be powerful in any one general direction, and you can change that direction at will, but if you get flanked or something and you have to keep looking back and forth, it can get intense.

It's difficult to replicate this system without the touch screen. Not impossible, but hard.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I wish. I have a CIB copy if ED, I just can't be bothered to buy a GCN controller + memory card to play it on Wii. A port would be most welcome.

Luckily I managed to nab ED used for pretty cheap when the Wii U was young, so I still had my Wii plugged in and GCN controllers and memory cards at the ready to jump into it. It would be a hassle now to get back to it.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
They really should just remake it. I don't think they could really top the story.

Add some new weapons and give the multiplayer the Splatoon treatment and I think you'd have a hit on your hands as a Switch release.

If it's just an HD port, I'd probably still pick it up eventually but it wouldn't be the same. It needs a proper redo.

It was lightning in a bottle that failed to spark a blaze. I'm pretty sure it will die with the 3DS, but I will continue to support any visibility for the title.

Can you imagine the hype for a title like this now? It was already a massive surprise at E3 that hooked me immediately with the dialogue and presentation despite only knowing pit from Smash. One of Nintendo's most well respected developers has been given a studio and is resurrecting an old dead IP as an on rails shooter mixed with third person action, a full story mode with voice acting, crafting and a full multiplayer mode. Can't imagine anything creating such a frenzy in the core community.

BotW aside, it was the most modern AAA game I think Nintendo ever made (at me if you want).

Ultimately, why bother with Kid Icarus when Animal Crossing can do what it did? It's not exactly a coincidence they brought Miitopia back as a low effort up port. They're still a business and they don't really need as much of the core crowd as they did earlier.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Game needs to be on a console with right stick and gyro aiming.
I don't know exactly what the sales were. Last thing I remember was a little over a million.

Can't imagine what the legacy of the title would have been if it was a Wii U title with those controls after Splatoon.

Played so much of the multiplayer with friends at school. Shout-out to my Algebra 2 teacher that said as long as we did well in the class we could play quietly. There were some pretty hilarious outburst moments. I imagine other kids were pissed though especially since the ones she didn't have to worry about were younger šŸ˜¬.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It is a brilliant game partially due to it's control scheme but that is a seriously intense barrier for a lot of people. I eventually was able to get over it but having a steep learning curve that also requires some pain to figure out a proper method to holding it is too much to ask most people. It feels like a very un-Nintendo game for so many reasons, which is partially why I love it so much, hah.

I do not think it has any real future outside of the Nintendo 3DS unfortunately. I agree that mouse and keyboard feels like the only way it could really work, and I go out of my way to avoid that on PC when I can myself...