• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Tlou2 is my game of the year. The gunplay and mechanics all felt amazing with the way all the NPCs and enemies interact. It had some of the most responsive controls I've ever seen backed up by great animation.

However Gears 5 just jumped up in terms of best feeling third person shooter controls for me. I played gears 5 mp for the first time this weekend with some friends in custom lobbies and holy hell it feels so fucking good. I'm not sure if it's the 120fps or something else going on in the background but the little I played of the campaign on the old base Xbox one didn't feel anywhere remotely as good as how the MP feels.

The input latency has been decreased on the control and with the x/s optimization.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly in terms of third person shooters i cant think of any game or series that does the gunplay and controls better than this game. Was it not highly regarded around here? Its a bit shocking since games like uncharted are so revered and i personally find the controls and the gunplay in that to be quite bad if im honest.

Is it the drab characters and setting? or the whatever story? The reason it barely gets discussed? Because in terms of the actual, you know, gameplay, it does it really fucking well tbh.

Another game i wouldnt have bothered with if it wasnt for game pass but glad i did. Oh, and yeah, the graphics as well, JFC!

It's the same gameplay since the first game, which was great back then too, It's just a bit samey 5 games in (6 if you want to count judgement)

The new storyline isn't that great, characters aren't all that well regarded and the open sections of 5 didn't really add anything other than wasted time.

I'm also a bit bored of bullet spongey enemies but there's no denying Gears 5 has good gunplay.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Gears for me peaked on the third game, now i find the gameplay dull and not inovative at all.

Hopefully the coalition can reinvent this franchise into something even better.

The gameplay is good but for me it's the same game since the original trilogy.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much what I thought last year when I played the campaign. Gameplay is a lot more concise and smoother than I remembered. I think it's being slept on overall cause Xbox just ain't held as high to many anymore.

Hulkamania78

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester UK
I have played Gears since 2006 (Gears Of War) and the controls have always felt so natural. I got into the Uncharted series and No:2 Online and was hoping for a Gears feel but the shooting always felt off for me. The PS3 pad was awful for Third Person mechanics despite loving the campaigns.
Gears for me is the flag bearer for Third Person shooters.

Oct 27, 2017
After being away from xbox for a generation, having played on a Sony platform for 7 years, all the uncharteds and both TLOU, I have to agree that Gears is still king at gunplay. That makes sense really, it's chunky structures all facilitate slower, static gunfights. It'sthe opposite of The Naughty Dog shooters. It's gunplay clicks into place and frankly you shouldn't fix what's broken, just build around it. Naughty dogs games had shit shooting. Uncharted 4 was good but still below gears. TLOU2 is a legit great shooter, and it's use of guerilla combat is incredible. But again, Gears 5 just feels amazing to play, immediately, everything services gunplay.

Last edited:

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 right now. Gonna play Gears 5 next (if I finish RDR2 before Cyperpubk 2077 hits, that is). It should be... funny.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Among the games in the upper eschalon of polish, moving around in Gears feels noticeably last gen. I get still get stuck on geometry in ways that don't happen in Naughty Dog games. The same kinda shit that happens in The Division, though Gears is better than that.

Especially bad are stairs with low railings. It looks like you should be able to vault over, but Gears animation can't handle it.

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
I only played gears 4 and 5, but I honestly prefer the recent naughty dog games in terms of shooting, controlling the character and the overall difficulty balance. They're pretty good though, I just hope gears 6 takes a bigger leap than 5 in terms of new mechanics or refined controls.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I played Gears 4 and 5 basically back to back and Gears 5 has tighter movement, faster response and better aiming. The game just feels really snappy. It's still a cover shooter but you get so many more options now, also with Jack. It's still pretty rad and just a well-executed formula.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay is great as well as the graphics and sound. The headshot pop sound is still one of the most satisfying sounds in gaming.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I had a thought about this when I saw this thread, but I find it's hard to put into words.

Gears feels more like playing a straight up FPS, and there just happens to be a character on-screen who's following your actions. But it's like you're controlling the gun rather than the character. Most third-person games put you squarely in control of the character and it makes for a slight disconnect when it comes to the shooting. As if you're having to maneuver the character to get the right shooting, rather than simply doing the shooting yourself in a more natural way and the character just sort of goes along with it.

Am I explaining that well enough? lol

With a lot of third-person games, even ones defined more as shooters rather than adventure games or whatever, I tend to feel okay using a controller. But with Gears, I vastly prefer mouse and keyboard, which I normally reserve for first-person games.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've always wondered why active reload didn't catch on in other games. It's such great concept that could work well in other shooters.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4, TLOU2 and The Division 2 are all better IMHO.
Gears was the gold standard last gen when it came down to tight controls, but it didn't evolve as much as the competition.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The gunplay feels weightless. I feel like I'm hitting actors with spitballs.

By comparison Control feels solid.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
There's just nothing like Gears. Especially in multiplayer. That in your face CQC shotgun blowing people to bits is just too satisfying. Getting a headshot and hearing that pop. Lawd. Gears alone keeps me with Xbox. Gears will always have a place in my heart.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that Gears 5 is extremely underrated around here, but I think Control edges it out as my favorite 3rd person shooter.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I had a thought about this when I saw this thread, but I find it's hard to put into words.

Gears feels more like playing a straight up FPS, and there just happens to be a character on-screen who's following your actions. But it's like you're controlling the gun rather than the character. Most third-person games put you squarely in control of the character and it makes for a slight disconnect when it comes to the shooting. As if you're having to maneuver the character to get the right shooting, rather than simply doing the shooting yourself in a more natural way and the character just sort of goes along with it.

Am I explaining that well enough? lol

That totally makes sense and it's a great point. I think it's why Gears has never really "clicked" with me; the games are extremely good at what they do but it's not my cup of tea compared to some other TPS out there.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing touches Gears with regards to 3rd person gunplay/cover/movement mechanics.

This can be judged in competitive multiplayer, many other games feel good in campaign but take their 3rd person mechanics into multiplayer and it's not so good.

Gears feels great in campaign and multiplayer.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Gears shooting feels great and it does combat arenas better than just about anyone. It just can't figure out how to wrap that design into a setting and story that doesn't feel stuck in 2006.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm playing through the game for the second time (first time on Series X) just to goof around and have fun. Playing with "grenade exploding heads", "voiced gunfire" (ratatatatatat, pow pow pow, bang, boom 🤣 ), "ammo refill on successful fast reload", and "double the ammo" turned on.

I highly recommend playing with some of the modifiers if you're playing the game again for fun.

Gameplay shot I took this past week.
01m5j4c.png

Last edited:

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Im playing strange brigade on the pc and thats semi satisfying as well. Comes down to the animation after the kill and how that bullet interacts with the target. Mafia 3 had some feel good gun combat too. May be the best in an open world shooter for sure.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I really loved it. Thankfully they turned down the TTK on enemies which was my biggest struggle playing the older games. Really could go toe to toe with any of the Sony exclusives.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
I agree Uncharted has terrible gunplay
TLOU2 is a completely different story though

Einhander

Banned
Apr 15, 2020
I really loved it. Thankfully they turned down the TTK on enemies which was my biggest struggle playing the older games. Really could go toe to toe with any of the Sony exclusives.

That's putting me off right now actually. TTK, closer re-spawns is removing the strategy of MP. Last thing I want is for Gears to become COD.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Having played both, TLOU2 feels much better to play, despite being just 30 fps. The gunplay is good in both, but the movement is so much better in TLOU2. I feel like I'm always in control of a human, fast and nimble, while Gears feels like controlling a shopping cart. I know it's meant to be so, to a certain extent, but it's not a choice I agree with. They managed to add colours and even humor to the game, I'm sure they can add better movement in the next one.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It really is...outside of Gears and The Division, I can't stand TPS and it's one of the main things I dislike in alot of single player games.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Other than destiny 2 gears 5 is probably my most played game last gen. And also probably my most played game this current gen so far (cold war and assassins creed are probably close though atm).

To me and my friend group gears 5 is just such a content filled blockbuster. Long ass campaign (compared to others in the series and typical shooters), a plethora of coop stuff to do (campaign, escape, horde) and intense pvp multiplayer. We fell out of it in operation/season 2 but seasons 4 and 5 really came out swinging with amazing changes and additions. The more i hype myself up about it I probably would consider it one of my top 3 games of last gen (ori being number 1).