• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if DUSK on Switch were already out I'd consider a double dip

edit: totally misread the title, when's Blood

Jun 13, 2018
heretic and hexen would be incredible. remember the duke nukem advance on gba? was fucking glorious. dn3d on xbox 360 was also really good.

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Heretic and Duke3D would be my picks

I would be happy for a good port of rise of the triad on anything. It seems like its one of the few big fps games from that era that still doesnt have a good source port or good way to play it on a modern system.

The apogee throwback pack on steam has Blake Stone and RotT if you're on PC

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Some of these old titles have licensing issues, Blood was pretty bad with this for the longest time.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Doom '93? I think people would've known what you're talking about if you said Ultimate Doom. Obviously it's not as short but I've never seen anyone refer to original Doom as Doom '93. lol. Sorry I just thought that was funny to see.

To your point, I just want Quake with the remastered nin soundtrack on Switch. I say remastered soundtrack as nin.com has been teasing a remastered digital and vinyl release of the Quake soundtrack for years now with a grayed out store page for it:
https://store.nin.com/collections/music/products/quake-ost-1xlp

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'd be down for Blood and the Marathon trilogy, for sure.

Bungie should just throw a couple of people at porting Marathon to Switch. It couldn't be that hard/expensive.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Any Marathon fans here? I'd love to see these Bungie classics ported to switch, or remade entirely for that matter.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Remember Disruptor on PlayStation? Wasn't that a Psygnosis game? Wonder what the status of it is.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Any Marathon fans here? I'd love to see these Bungie classics ported to switch, or remade entirely for that matter.

My man! Yeah, I'm not sure if remakes are currently financially viable for Bungie, but throwing some ports on Switch would be a good way to re-establish that they have franchises other than Destiny.

The marketing does itself - "See where it all began" or something along those lines.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Yep, it's pretty much the only thing I've played on my Switch since the latest patches dropped!

I'd love to see some form of 3D Realms/Apogee/Interplay collection someday.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Just remembered the rumors that Nightdive were working on an Exhumed/Powerslave remaster (as they trademarked it), but don't think there's been any news in years

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Heretic and Duke3D would be my picks

The apogee throwback pack on steam has Blake Stone and RotT if you're on PC

I'm actually surprised Duke3D isn't on Switch yet?
Right there with you, OP.

I want Blood, Heretic, Hexen, Shadow Warrior...uh, was Redneck Rampage any good?

No. Redneck Rampage was a pretty rotten game to be honest

So I played and enjoyed Marathon Durandal on 360 but I had to stop playing it as it represents the only time in my life that I've ever experienced motion sickness. Something about the frame rate of that version and the sharp/smooth redundant look of the environmental textures did me in. So I'd be down for a version that didn't wreck me. lol

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Give me Blood on PS4.

Also Unreal if the early true 3D games count.

Playing the Blood remaster on PC with a controller is very rough. I went through about 4 levels and it was brutal. I switched over to KB/M after that and the difference was huge.

Enemies fire with hitscan, and on top of that they fire almost instantly on having on single ray touch the player. The controller is unfortunately too inaccurate to deal with that kind of system.

This is coming from someone who played through Doom and Hexen on a controller and loved it. Blood is just not designed for it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Bethesda ports Heretic/Hexen next.
Yeah... Doubt that will happen anytime soon. As far as I understand, those two are in some legal limbo. Think both Id Software and Raven Software share the rights for the IPs.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Forces unlocked FPS port for everyone while we are at it!

That's something I really want from Night Dive. Probably not happening due to licensing.

OP in a few months you'll have Doom 64 and Ion Fury.

Ports of Shadow Warrior, Duke and Blood should a no brainer too. Blood was re-released on PC last year and Shadow Warrior a couple of years back.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
I have yet to try the WADs made available by the new update, are they worth playing?
But yeah, we need to give that era some more love.

Doom '93? I think people would've known what you're talking about if you said Ultimate Doom. Obviously it's not as short but I've never seen anyone refer to original Doom as Doom '93. lol. Sorry I just thought that was funny to see.
I agree that's an unusual name, but the re-release on consoles is called "Doom (1993)" on the eshop/PSN and not Ultimate Doom, for some reason.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Forces started the best Star Wars Triology to date.

- Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 + mysteries of the sith (staring mara jade).
- Jedi Knight 2
- Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a massive Doom fan, and I'm very happy that the classic games are getting ported on just about any system, and in particular, the post-patch Unity versions are by far the best console version of the classic Dooms, on X1 and PS4 especially. It has multiple extra WADs, increased framerate, proper widescreen options, improved controls for gamepad, KB+M support, and all kinds of little touches that I certainly would have not expected anytime soon from any official port. It's an amazing port in so many ways.

And yet, I am somewhat bummed. Bummed that these Doom games are brought everywhere. At this point, ALL Xbox consoles had some version of the classic Doom experience for example. Duke Nukem 3D keeps coming back through all sorts of ports, too, plus the obviously dated Wolf3D that comes back from time to time - but that one is not particularly exciting to play nowadays. And that's about it. We had one competent Quake 2 console port but nothing from Quake 1. Unreal Tournament games are stick in purgatory. Unreal games, even worse. Heretic, Hexen? It's like they don't exist. Some stuff like Blood or Rise of the Triad was at least brought back on PC, but console owners can forget about them. And there's more and more: the Star Wars shooters, Marathon, feel free to pick any faux 3D or early 3D shooter from the 90's.

There's just this entire decade of shooters that is basically reduced to endless Doom ports (and Duke Nukem 3D ports), and it's really such a shame because while those two are masterpieces, there's just so much more to explore. It was an incredible time for first person shooters, some of the most memorable gaming experience I've ever had in gaming come out from shooters of that decade. And yet, it feels like you either own the games or buy them in practically untouched Steam/GOG ports, or you'll never experience those amazing games. I spent countless hours on Heretic, for one, and I hear so many people nostalgic about that game. And yet, it's stuck in a limbo alongside a myriad of quality shooters of the time.

One can only hope the success and media attention of the new Doom games and these excellent ports will push publishers towards some quick and dirty console ports of other classic titles like that. Who knows, maybe we'll even get a Doom 2016-esque revival of a classic franchise? But until the legacy that keeps being pushed forward is basically only Doom, the other franchises are just more and more forgotten, and it would be hard to spend massive resources and time into a project that may just fly over people's heads completely. Luckily, sourceports exist for many such games on PC, allowing players to play the classic games in a slightly modernized version, without ruining the core gameplay or anything, just adding better control settings, higher resolutions, etc.. But console players may never experience a brilliant campaign like the one found in Heretic, and that greatly displeases me.

Nov 8, 2017
Playing the Blood remaster on PC with a controller is very rough. I went through about 4 levels and it was brutal. I switched over to KB/M after that and the difference was huge.

Enemies fire with hitscan, and on top of that they fire almost instantly on having on single ray touch the player. The controller is unfortunately too inaccurate to deal with that kind of system.

This is coming from someone who played through Doom and Hexen on a controller and loved it. Blood is just not designed for it.
I always played Blood keyboard only (no mouse), is that really any worse than playing with a controller?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Would love to see Heretic and Hexen 1/2. Problem is id has the rights to the IP, but Activision has the development rights due to them owning Raven Software. Hopefully they can work out a deal.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I loved Heretic so much. Tried playing it on Steam last week but couldn't figure out how to remap the controls, and I HATE look-spring.

Played a ton of Hexen on my PS1 back in the day too. Really liked it though I got lost really easily. The level design was kinda weird. Never tried the sequel.