• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Got this in the Switch a week or so ago when it was on sale and it's kinda... Boring? This plays more like a horror game if anything with the same scenarios every time (go into room, clear baddies, probably a jump scare or something, gets dark, open locked door by looping around somewhere, etc). I also hate looking and listening to PDA entries. It just kills the pacing for me. Having no subtitle options and having every environment look the same doesn't help either.

I did play this after Doom (2016) which I loved so that might have made some expectations different. But I remember the time that this game came out it was facing off against Half Life 2 and that game aged so much better than this.

If I remember right, Im just a bit after the Monorail section. Will it get better?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 3 had pretty cool tech at the time. The lighting was ridiculously impressive and I still love how the enemies interact with the environment. The in-game computer UI was impressive too.

It's a decent-to-good game but omg it's VERY disappointing as a Doom sequel.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Not really, the Hell level is pretty good though, if you can by any chance get the PC version, grab perfected doom 3, it's much more fun & Id should have looked at that mod when designing BFG edition, instead they just throw a bunch of ammo at you & make it even easier.

Rattlethyhead

Jan 7, 2019
It's a love it or hate It type of deal. If you gave it an hour or two, and it's not clicking, move on. That said, I love the game and it IS worth a playthough.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 3 is a horror game at its core, not an action shooter.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i found it to be more of a pleasant surprise than "essential"

decent survival horror-ish experience but 2020 it's kind of after the fact

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love all the classic Doom games and Doom 2016, but Doom 3 didn't do much for me. Doom 64 is the real Doom 3 in my mind.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I enjoyed it for what it was earlier this month, but it was the only doom game that didn't give me the immediate itch to jump right into a second playthrough.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's a love it or hate it type of game. If you don't like it now i doubt you will like it later on. Though the hell levels are cool. You just had to be there during the time to really appreciate it being a tech showcase.

May 26, 2018
Nope. Not to undercut the effort that went into its development, but it's kind of a cool tech demo that you can also play like a game.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, the short stint where you actually go to hell is pretty great on an artistic level, but it doesnt last long and it aint worth the whole game if your not already enjoying it.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it when I played it on the original Xbox but having just played through the BFG edition on the Switch I was surprised how samey the whole game is. Nothing is really changed with how encounters are played out and by the time you've put a couple of hours into it you've seen everything the encounter design has to offer.

I will say I really liked the lived-in feel of the station and I couldn't stop thinking about how they could have made a damn good Aliens game using the same tech.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I remember enjoying it on the original Xbox but I treated it like a horror game instead of the usual Doom run and gun.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I also hate looking and listening to PDA entries.
I remember really liking that. Learning about the various goings on leading up to the incident - not all of them related to the incident either; one email correspondence in particular was about harassment in the workplace - made the UAC base feel more than just a place for shooting demons. But as others here are saying and as I remember Kevin Cloud alluding to in one interview, the game was made as a horror game first and foremost.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If the horror aspect doesnt hook you, youre stuck with it for 2/3rds of the game until you get to hell and return to the hellified labs and it lets off the steam a lil more. Thats a big slog to get thru just to get to the good parts

having played both, id skip right to Resurrection of Evil if the horror in Doom 3 is doing zip for you. Its a better more varied campaign

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Got this in the Switch a week or so ago when it was on sale and it's kinda... Boring? This plays more like a horror game if anything with the same scenarios every time (go into room, clear baddies, probably a jump scare or something, gets dark, open locked door by looping around somewhere, etc). I also hate looking and listening to PDA entries. It just kills the pacing for me. Having no subtitle options and having every environment look the same doesn't help either.

I did play this after Doom (2016) which I loved so that might have made some expectations different. But I remember the time that this game came out it was facing off against Half Life 2 and that game aged so much better than this.

If I remember right, Im just a bit after the Monorail section. Will it get better?
It won't from a gameplay standpoint. It was really a tech demo for it's time. The gameplay was never overly impressive but the graphics certainly were.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Doom 3 is a horror game. If you get into it expecting a sequel to doom 2 you will not enjoy it. I personally like it for what it is and it is a different game from the rest of the franchise. Doom 64 is, on the other hand, an hybrid of both horror and old doom.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017

I actually loved the pacing and atmosphere early in the game, and generally think the combat was one of the weakest elements of Doom 3. I still loved the game overall, but if you need immediate and constant action to avoid being bored, this probably isn't the game for you.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My favourite parts are the last few levels of the game, which changes the scenery quite a bit. The game itself, the actual shooting part, is a bit boring, yeah.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
The game is not amazing... Unless you play in VR. For those cashing into get headsets for half life alyx can heartily recommend the doom 3 vr mod. It's really well done.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
... if anything with the same scenarios every time (go into room, clear baddies, probably a jump scare or something, gets dark, open locked door by looping around somewhere, etc).
Wow, that is almost word for word what I have said for years about Doom 3. The tech was really impressive at the time, but the gameplay was really repetitive. As you said, every few minutes you would go into a room, the lights would go out, hidden doors would open, and you would be swarmed from three sides. Rinse and repeat until you could clear the room well enough to have enough health left too maybe get through the exact same scenario in the next room. Doom 3, Halo 2, and Fable all came out around the same time (I think) and all three burned me pretty badly. Because of that it was years before I got back into new games.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The game is not amazing... Unless you play in VR. For those cashing into get headsets for half life alyx can heartily recommend the doom 3 vr mod. It's really well done.

completely bizzare to me how open id/bethesda is to VR and re-releases and yet no official VR version of this game. i'd pay 'full price' for it even in spite of the mod's existence

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The end of the game and the expansion pack are a bit better, but not enough to bother if you didn't like it so far.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I was coming in to say it gets better, but I just hit the same part you're at last night and for me it's just getting way more atmospheric and interesting. They just brought in a couple new enemies, combat encounters are forcing me to juggle weapons to deal with different monsters attacking at once, the environment is starting to have bits of organic/hell-y intrusions. After being a bit bored with the previous sections, I thought things really picked up when you start using the teleporter.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It picks up the pace as you go, meaning you will have more action the more you play, but the gameplay scenarios stay the same.

This is a game that thrives on atmosphere, the aggressive but slower paced shooting, the b-movie story/lore, and the phenomenal art direction and sound design.

I personally love the game, possibly even more than Doom 2016,although truth be told, they shouldn't really be compared as they are trying to achieve different things (and both succeed at it imo).

The expansion Ressurection of Evil mixes things up a little bit with the heart mechanic (shooting someone in the face with the shotgun in slow motion is pretty damn awesome).

In conclusion, if you aren't enjoying it now, you probably won't enjoy it later.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
No. It doesnt get better. I remember when it came out i was liking it, hell, maybe even force myself to love it more because i had bought a 500$ videocard to play it, was delayed. I was amaze by the visual and horror feeling back then, was one of my favorite shooter.

But this game age very poorly imo, playing it lately, i was bored. Looking at it today im questioning my gaming taste back then. Its at best an OK shooter.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'm on your same boat, OP, I'm sort of liking it but after 2,5h still have no fun weapons, and imps jumping in my face are annoying me. Can't wait for it to pick up and throw some interesting battles.
By the by, how's Doom64 intensity-wise?