• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thought this would be a cool thread to make. Later last month, a Demon Souls nexus page was created, and there's already a bunch of cool mods that work super well with the 60 FPS patch for the emulator that I think need attention.

HD Font Mod:

7-1568569277-1058181771.jpeg

7-1568569353-75735879.jpeg

One of the many annoying aspects of the emulated version was how bad the font and menus looked on an HD monitor, so someone was able to make an HD Font Pack, that make it way more pleasing on the eyes.

Lens Flair Fix
3-1568223622-2063210036.png

1-1568159677-633372727.png

Another inferiority was how glitched the lens flairs where when playing on the PC, modders were able to fix them to look way better on computers. I'll also throw in a mod that removes the primitive depth of field effect (which is subjective.)

Lighting Overhaul
11-1568833405-301415937.jpeg

11-1568833424-33704718.jpeg

11-1568833433-1336988333.jpeg

By far the most impressive to me, someone manually edited the param files to completely change and overhaul the way lighting looks and is displayed, bringing out the game's beauty. Since it doesn't use external programs, it isn't performance heavy at all. Has the Depth of Field and Lens Flair fix built in.

2019 is by far the best year to play Demon Souls in my opinion! There's already quite a few more mods and quality of life features being added to the emulated version of the title in the works. It's the next best thing next to an official remaster.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I kind of like the way depth of field looks tbh but I love everything else. I never finished Demon Souls so I think I'll give this a shot instead of using my ps3.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Lovely.

I'll never play it because I don't have a gaming PC :(. It's been a good while since I played it though, maybe time for a trip back to Boletaria.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Tower of Latria looks great with new lighting. Can't wait to see what Sony does with the remake.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I still have my Demon's Souls disc and tried playing on PC shortly after RPCS3 supported it and the performance was not very good. I think it might be time to revisit things...

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
That's glorious.
There's gotta be a Demon's Souls remaster/remake in the works. Not a lot of people played it, it's the one Souls game not on current gen, and it'll tide us over until Elder Ring.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
I was trying to remove DoF from the game recently but with no success. Seems like I overlooked some files. At 4K it's a game changer. Distant detail is actually nice and sharp in the game but the overdone default DoF ruins it all at that high of a res. I just manually turned it off with the debug menu each time which was a pain in the ass.
You can even add ray tracing to it via ReShade.

The issue is that Reshade doesn't support Vulkan and Demon's Souls run best with Vulkan.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
No you don't, Demon's Souls came out a decade ago. How can you value something more where the game was not available all this time?
It is available now and it's the best version. And it will be playable for many years to come on any future PCs I buy. Meanwhile you can't play this on consoles unless you have multiple consoles plugged in to your TV, since backwards compatibility has always been a joke on consoles compared to PC. That's why.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Oh my! The game look so crisp and clean after installing the DoF, Lighting and HD font mods + 60 fps. GreedFall can fuck right off, I am playing Demon's Souls tonight...

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Tower of Latria looks great with new lighting. Can't wait to see what Sony does with the remake.
You know it's sad they have dropped the ball a second time with Demons souls. (First when they didnt think anything of it years back)

What could have been an amazing revival this gen but they rather just ignore one of the best IPs ever created.

Good for the pc modders. They deserve some applause.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly Demon Souls hideous lighting is part of its charm, if you ask me. Really sells the foggy nightmare feeling of the game. Those screenshots definitely look worse to me

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, i've seem the news about Demons moding has started a fee days ago. Looking forward to see the future of it.

Honestly Demon Souls hideous lighting is part of its charm, if you ask me. Really sells the foggy nightmare feeling of the game. Those screenshots definitely look worse to me
That's the best thing about modding, you can choose to not install them.

The high resolution and framerates bump from the emulator alone should be enough to make this the definitive version of the game right now.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was trying to remove DoF from the game recently but with no success. Seems like I overlooked some files. At 4K it's a game changer. Distant detail is actually nice and sharp in the game but the overdone default DoF ruins it all at that high of a res. I just manually turned it off with the debug menu each time which was a pain in the ass.

The issue is that Reshade doesn't support Vulkan and Demon's Souls run best with Vulkan.

It should work with this fork https://github.com/crosire/reshade/pull/138

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
Been trying some experimental Reshade Vulkan things this morning and while it initially seemed promising, there seems to be a glitch with flipping the depth buffer which you need to do to get the effect right side up. Seems like oblique angles get really dark for some reason. This doesn't happen in OpenGL, even though the depth and normal maps are identical. Probably needs some more work.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Gosh I need to get on this :o Always appreciate an option to remove depth of field

Last edited:

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
If you don't already own it, be sure to buy the already cheap digital version of demon's to show your support.
That should help in getting the Remaster out.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
Been trying some experimental Reshade Vulkan things this morning and while it initially seemed promising, there seems to be a glitch with flipping the depth buffer which you need to do to get the effect right side up. Seems like oblique angles get really dark for some reason. This doesn't happen in OpenGL, even though the depth and normal maps are identical. Probably needs some more work.
Scratch that, the newest version of the RT shader 0.7a works. I used an older version but just go the newest one off of Discord and that one works flawlessly.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know RPCS3 was this good, damn. Last time I've seen it it could barely shit out a couple of fps of glitch art.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a mod to have an improved DOF effect? I wouldn't want to outright remove it but would like to see an improved version.