• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
It was great even on PS4 Pro. I like the change of having a bike instead of a horse/car like most games. The weather effects are sikk and add lots of atmosphere when exploring creepy areas.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys weren't kidding. The game looks amazing, runs amazing and it's a lot of fun too. I'm just 90 minutes into the game and I'm afraid the normal difficulty is too easy. Should I restart on hard?

edit: Is it true the hard mode disables auto aim? I can't aim for shit with a controller.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was my GOTY last year, was waiting to replay it hoping it would get a patch on the ps5, will start again once i finish Demon's Souls and Miles Morales.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I started playing this for the first time, and I really think its a looker at 4k60, but the game itself is struggling to grasp me. I'll definitely give it more time, but right now I'm unsure.

There was a cutscene early on where Deacon just exploded in rage for no reason, and it was so sudden and I was so confused, it just felt poorly executed.

My biggest issue with it visually though, is why do all of the zombies look exactly the same? Then I encountered the rippers and all of them look the same too... and the Newts, and they all look the same too...

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
So I started playing this for the first time, and I really think its a looker at 4k60, but the game itself is struggling to grasp me. I'll definitely give it more time, but right now I'm unsure.

There was a cutscene early on where Deacon just exploded in rage for no reason, and it was so sudden and I was so confused, it just felt poorly executed.

My biggest issue with it visually though, is why do all of the zombies look exactly the same? Then I encountered the rippers and all of them look the same too... and the Newts, and they all look the same too...
It's sorta like I Am Legend I found, where the zombies were less like "civilians still wearing the stuff they died in", and more like mutated lookalikes.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017

Not sure how far you are but I highly recommend exploring the areas you're in to find the horde locations . On the previous page I stated it's a bit annoying that you can play a good bit without seeing many hordes.

I'm not sure if that'll help the game grab you but it worked for me. Just make sure you have an automatic weapon before you start tackling those.
The hordes around the first camp or two are fairly smallish.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
I never really had issue with visuals and perfromance , its the acting , writing and general aesthetic that was so bleh

I mean, I actually enjoyed my time with the game but the main character is such a faux-macho goober it's hard to take him seriously at all. Some of the conversations are absolutely cringeworthy but I could ignore that most of the time and just focus on eradicating some zombie hordes :p

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The confusion arises because EA have specifically said they could offer the same degree of enhancements to Star Wars Squadrons when compared to Series X. Furthermore, why are the likes of GoW, TLOU2 not offering these enhancements if they're as trivial to apply as DG and GoT make it appear? Why is No Man's Sky an entire new PS5 SKU? It's not clear how this all operates. This is probably best for another thread, however, so I'll end it here.
There's not some universal rule, it depends on the code changes necessary and the publisher's whims.

All games have to go through Q&A for patches, Days Gone was likely just started earlier and avoided the holiday slowdown as departments use up their vacation, plus the publisher might have simply felt it was worth it to give this one for free. How 'trivial' it is (was Days Gone 'trivial'?) depends on a multitude of factors, including financial - the publisher may simply want to make more significant changes and release it as a "Ultimate" edition later and charge for it.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

You definitely encounter new variants later on, but variety of the zombies is not really what distinguishes them - rather how many you'll be dealing with at a time.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I never got round to playing it on PS4 but gotta admit I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this after Demon's Souls.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure how far you are but I highly recommend exploring the areas you're in to find the horde locations . On the previous page I stated it's a bit annoying that you can play a good bit without seeing many hordes.

I'm not sure if that'll help the game grab you but it worked for me. Just make sure you have an automatic weapon before you start tackling those.
The hordes around the first camp or two are fairly smallish.

Thank you, I'm still early but I'll scope them out next time I play.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
You guys weren't kidding. The game looks amazing, runs amazing and it's a lot of fun too. I'm just 90 minutes into the game and I'm afraid the normal difficulty is too easy. Should I restart on hard?

edit: Is it true the hard mode disables auto aim? I can't aim for shit with a controller.
I don't think normal has auto aim.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

I played through on Hard originally and it really makes you appreciate the skill progression, starting out deathly afraid every lone freaker in the dark and eventually tearing through hordes in the hundreds. I'd recommend it.

Deleted member 6511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the title of the thread and tough... Nah...

Then downloaded from the collection and woah!!!!
It looks outstanding!
The textures and vegetation are so good!

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this game slaps. I heard there was gyro aiming on PS4. It's definitely not working with my DualSense. Anybody know more about this?

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm about 3 hours into this game on PS5 and it's really quite good!? It plays well, looks good, sounds amazing. The 3D sound on headphones (even without Tempest 3D) is excellent.

With the tepid reviews from its launch I had lower expectations, but this is surprisingly great so far. I just hope the characters and story are worth following.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It was just really janky then. The transition went from walking on a path (gameplay) to starting to walk down a hill (gameplay) to a sudden cutscene where we're standing over his bleeding body at the bottom of the ridge.

I kind of wish I played this before TLOU2, because the lack of polish in so many of these areas is super evident. I know they're 2 pretty different games in terms of world size and scope, but the cutscenes and characters are just so grating here. Hope the gameplay convinces me to keep going.

FWIW the storytelling in the beginning is very janky. I don't think we ever got details on what happened but it looks like that they made a tremendous number of very sloppy edits to the opening hours of the game. It actually smooths out after the first few hours and the super jarring scene cuts go away.

There's a much more egregious cut that will come up when Boozer and Deacon return to their home base.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Days Gone is all about the emergent moments.

Finding yourself stranded in the woods at night with no gas, checking your map to find a small town is within walking distance, making the jog over to find resources and back, all while making sure nothing, y'know, eats you.

Definitely a huge highlight of the experience for me. Those emergent moments work so, so well in this game.

Like moments where you're just cruising around, going from point A to point B, and you're suddenly ambushed by a Sniper camped out somewhere, who shoots you off your bike, and you have to scramble for cover, try to figure out where they're at, and systematically take down the bandits trying to gank you while avoiding sniper fire. Then, you have to see to your bike, that may have been damaged pretty significantly. It's even more tense when you don't have any spare parts to repair it, which sends you on a quest to find the resources you need to get you back into the world.

All I want from Days Gone 2 is more elements that add to that feeling of the world being alive and lived in, which this game did rather well, especially for a first time open world game from Bend.

FWIW the storytelling in the beginning is very janky. I don't think we ever got details on what happened but it looks like that they made a tremendous number of very sloppy edits to the opening hours of the game. It actually smooths out after the first few hours and the super jarring scene cuts go away.

There's a much more egregious cut that will come up when Boozer and Deacon return to their home base.

I think I remember Bend mentioning that they originally had a player choice system in the game, but scrapped it (or maybe it was something they told me when I talked to a few of the devs at E3 last year, I don't remember for sure), but I think that contributes to some of the weird jankiness to those early moment transitions. I imagine that stripping out such a major mechanic, then having to rework your opening wasn't possible given whatever time and resources they had allocated to other parts of the game. I will say that the jarring nature of that opening isn't throughout the entire game, from what I can remember (it's been a while since I've gone through the story).

I vaguely remember one of the early demos of the game showing player choice during those opening segments of the game that are definitely removed in the final version. I'm going to see if I can find the video of that demo, and then find the opening of the retail release, and post it here.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

It's sorta like I Am Legend I found, where the zombies were less like "civilians still wearing the stuff they died in", and more like mutated lookalikes.

Yeah, I viewed the various Freaker types in Days Gone as being the particular mutation that causes them to turn has a byproduct of them resulting in the same appearance.

Also, it's a video game, with 200+ large hordes, and I imagine that being able to pull off hordes of that size (which are so much fun to tackle; that sawmill horde was holy shit), and practical concessions have to be made. I can't even imagine the workload on the concept designers and 3d modelers if each and every Freaker you encounter had a unique appearance. Maybe a mix and match parts system, but again, it was a game designed for PS4, with asset streaming and memory management to consider. As mentioned before, Bend isn't a huge studio. Copy/Paste NPCs or enemies is one of those things I just roll with and shrug off in video games.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a huge highlight of the experience for me. Those emergent moments work so, so well in this game.

Like moments where you're just cruising around, going from point A to point B, and you're suddenly ambushed by a Sniper camped out somewhere, who shoots you off your bike, and you have to scramble for cover, try to figure out where they're at, and systematically take down the bandits trying to gank you while avoiding sniper fire. Then, you have to see to your bike, that may have been damaged pretty significantly. It's even more tense when you don't have any spare parts to repair it, which sends you on a quest to find the resources you need to get you back into the world.

All I want from Days Gone 2 is more elements that add to that feeling of the world being alive and lived in, which this game did rather well, especially for a first time open world game from Bend.
This is what sold me on the game when they talked about it.

That they actually delivered on this promise was amazing. Especially when we learned that it was just a small number of people working on the open world (I could be wrong but I remember reading that there was under 10 people who worked on it).

The open world was honestly one of the most realized open worlds I have ever seen. It feels so well designed and actually earns it's place unlike many games where the open world is copy pasted and is a chore to explore (looking at you Far Cry 4).

Days Gone 2 is going to be amazing if they continue on with this formula and improve it further.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
This was a solid game and glad i held off on PS4 to play this on PS5 instead. Finally got the Plat Trophy today. The one trophy that was hard to get was the Burnout Apocalypse one but i eventually got it after awhile.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
So I had platinumed the game on my PS4 and downloaded it now on my PS5 to test it out. But for some reason the save file is not recognized even though it is the same account and my confirmation that the save file is indeed on the PS5 hard drive. The only thing I can think of is that I had bought the game from a different PSN country store. But that still doesn't make sense because I am logged into my main account which these save files were created with. Any ideas?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is what sold me on the game when they talked about it.

That they actually delivered on this promise was amazing. Especially when we learned that it was just a small number of people working on the open world (I could be wrong but I remember reading that there was under 10 people who worked on it).

The open world was honestly one of the most realized open worlds I have ever seen. It feels so well designed and actually earns it's place unlike many games where the open world is copy pasted and is a chore to explore (looking at you Far Cry 4).

Days Gone 2 is going to be amazing if they continue on with this formula and improve it further.

Yeah, the horde aspect of the game was one of the big selling points of the title, but also the one that I was the most skeptical about when I first saw the game. I know I've said it before, but I was initially completely disinterested in Days Gone. Dismissing it as a TLOU wannabe. I honestly don't remember what changed my mind (I think one of the demos they showed off closer to launch), but they nailed the horde combat, even on PS4. Now it runs like a dream, and fighting hordes is even more intense and immersive.

Overall, the atmosphere of the game is fantastic. They went all out in areas most open world games ignore when it comes to the environment feeling alive. GoT does this with it's wind and constantly moving foliage, but DG nails the subtleties of the environment in terms of weather effects. It may be the best weather effects I've experienced in a game thus far. From the day night transitions, to the rain (from light rain, to full on thunderstorms), and the snow (I still can't get over the fact that they bothered to implement snow slowly piling up and covering the ground if you stay in an area long enough as it begins to fall; such an unnecessary detail, yet adds, subliminally, to the believability of the world).

I've also grown to appreciate the variety of the map, as, initially, I thought it was very samey and easy to get lost, but after sinking so many hours into it (about 100 so far), it really does become familiar and comfortable, and you can get a feel for where on the map you are based on the environment.

I hear a lot of praise for the horde, but I don't think enough praise is given to the craftwork they put into the world itself, that adds so much to the overall experience.

I don't even think Days Gone is the most amazing game ever, but it's the definition of a sleeper hit to me, with the narrative being the element of the game that surprised me the most, after being completely disinterested in Deacon as a protagonist.

I think a really interesting discussion can be had on video game protagonists, and what us, as gamers, expect of a protagonist, and how Deacon subverts it (at least initially), in a way that is usually reserved for television and film characters. I used Walter White as an example earlier, and I think Deacon's arc is the inverse of Walter's. You start empathizing and feeling for Walter, and as the show progresses, you begin to dislike him and hope for some comeuppance due to his shittery (at least I did; I know some folks root for Walt). Deacon was the opposite. Much like Abby in TLOU2. I went from hating her to loving her. Same for Deacon (though "love" is a strong word in the case of Deacon; it's more that I went from disliking him, to understanding, empathizing him, and appreciating his growth and development over the course of the story).

Most video game protagonists are pretty static, and by design. The goal is to make you love the character from jump, and don't do anything to rock that boat for the duration of the game. He/She is our avatar, so they tend to have traits that are, broadly, appealing to the largest player base. Even anti-heroes and characters with rough edges don't cross any particular lines that are a bridge too far (anti-heroes like Kratos notwithstanding, but seeing how his world is this fantastical setting of greek mythology and monsters, his callousness is a little more palatable, as opposed to what Naughty Dog boldly did with Ellie and the characters in TLOU2; which is a more grounded and realistic world, which characters that strive to be human; the choices they make in that game hit us differently than the choices a Kratos makes). Deacon isn't Nathan Drake. He's not a likeable quipster and rogue. He's just a "hardass" biker and all the toxic masculinity that can often entail, but what impressed me the most over the course of the game and the narrative, is that those layers don't get pealed away to reveal a heart of gold, more that the narrative itself tears that aspect of Deacon down, and he actually changes as a person over the course of the game, as a direct result of the events in the narrative. And he actually wrestles with it during some of the better quest lines and storylines in the game. He's not a fantastic character, but I really enjoyed seeing his transformation, and was a large part as to why I warmed up to him eventually.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the horde aspect of the game was one of the big selling points of the title, but also the one that I was the most skeptical about when I first saw the game. I know I've said it before, but I was initially completely disinterested in Days Gone. Dismissing it as a TLOU wannabe. I honestly don't remember what changed my mind (I think one of the demos they showed off closer to launch), but they nailed the horde combat, even on PS4. Now it runs like a dream, and fighting hordes is even more intense and immersive.

Overall, the atmosphere of the game is fantastic. They went all out in areas most open world games ignore when it comes to the environment feeling alive. GoT does this with it's wind and constantly moving foliage, but DG nails the subtleties of the environment in terms of weather effects. It may be the best weather effects I've experienced in a game thus far. From the day night transitions, to the rain (from light rain, to full on thunderstorms), and the snow (I still can't get over the fact that they bothered to implement snow slowly piling up and covering the ground if you stay in an area long enough as it begins to fall; such an unnecessary detail, yet adds, subliminally, to the believability of the world).

I've also grown to appreciate the variety of the map, as, initially, I thought it was very samey and easy to get lost, but after sinking so many hours into it (about 100 so far), it really does become familiar and comfortable, and you can get a feel for where on the map you are based on the environment.

I hear a lot of praise for the horde, but I don't think enough praise is given to the craftwork they put into the world itself, that adds so much to the overall experience.

I don't even think Days Gone is the most amazing game ever, but it's the definition of a sleeper hit to me, with the narrative being the element of the game that surprised me the most, after being completely disinterested in Deacon as a protagonist.

I think a really interesting discussion can be had on video game protagonists, and what us, as gamers, expect of a protagonist, and how Deacon subverts it (at least initially), in a way that is usually reserved for television and film characters. I used Walter White as an example earlier, and I think Deacon's arc is the inverse of Walter's. You start empathizing and feeling for Walter, and as the show progresses, you begin to dislike him and hope for some comeuppance due to his shittery (at least I did; I know some folks root for Walt). Deacon was the opposite. Much like Abby in TLOU2. I went from hating her to loving her. Same for Deacon (though "love" is a strong word in the case of Deacon; it's more that I went from disliking him, to understanding, empathizing him, and appreciating his growth and development over the course of the story).

Most video game protagonists are pretty static, and by design. The goal is to make you love the character from jump, and don't do anything to rock that boat for the duration of the game. He/She is our avatar, so they tend to have traits that are, broadly, appealing to the largest player base. Even anti-heroes and characters with rough edges don't cross any particular lines that are a bridge to far (anti-heroes like Kratos notwithstanding, but seeing how his world is this fantastical setting of greek mythology and monsters, his callousness is a little more palatable, as opposed to what Naughty Dog boldly did with Ellie and the characters in TLOU2; which is a more grounded and realistic world, which characters that strive to be human; the choices they make in that game hit us differently than the choices a Kratos makes). Deacon isn't Nathan Drake. He's not a likeable quipster and rogue. He's just a "hardass" biker and all the toxic masculinity that can often entail, but what impressed me the most over the course of the game and the narrative, is that those layers don't get pealed away to reveal a heart of gold, more that the narrative itself tears that aspect of Deacon down, and he actually changes as a person over the course of the game, as a direct result of the events in the narrative. And he actually wrestles with it during some of the better quest lines and storylines in the game. He's not a fantastic character, but I really enjoyed seeing his transformation, and was a large part as to why I warmed up to him eventually.
You nailed what I love about Deacon.

He is a really fresh protagonist with a lot of layers and is very interesting. I even found the rantings of his really interesting. Someone complained a while ago that Deacon feels like a very different person while out in the wild compared to when he meets other characters in the camps. I believe that to be interesting because while playing the game I could feel that Deacon was very close to snapping and going crazy. He is trying to survive and his brother's arm is injured in a really bad way and while this is going on he isn't even sure if his wife is still alive (or rather he probably knows she is dead but can't accept it), and while all of that is going on he has to deal with people like Tucker or Copeland who are really unlikable for a guy like him. Now while he is out there and nobody who knows him are out there he can let loose a little and thus he just goes insane and releases all the stress and hatred against his enemies (whether it is the freaks or the countless other survivors who go against him). There is a part late into the game involving the Rippers (you know the one) that is interesting because his other persona (the insane one he has while on his own in the world) gets somewhat revealed to others and their reactions are interesting.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with Deacon isn't so much that he's unlikeable, it's that he isn't interesting. Though I'm probably "only" 50-60% in so things might change.

Oct 30, 2017
I also think the hordes were introduced a bit too late into the game. It wasn't until near the end did I feel equipped to handle them.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You nailed what I love about Deacon.

He is a really fresh protagonist with a lot of layers and is very interesting. I even found the rantings of his really interesting. Someone complained a while ago that Deacon feels like a very different person while out in the wild compared to when he meets other characters in the camps. I believe that to be interesting because while playing the game I could feel that Deacon was very close to snapping and going crazy. He is trying to survive and his brother's arm is injured in a really bad way and while this is going on he isn't even sure if his wife is still alive (or rather he probably knows she is dead but can't accept it), and while all of that is going on he has to deal with people like Tucker or Copeland who are really unlikable for a guy like him. Now while he is out there and nobody who knows him are out there he can let loose a little and thus he just goes insane and releases all the stress and hatred against his enemies (whether it is the freaks or the countless other survivors who go against him). There is a part late into the game involving the Rippers (you know the one) that is interesting because his other persona (the insane one he has while on his own in the world) gets somewhat revealed to others and their reactions are interesting.

I really liked his bits of commentary after each of Copeland's radio broadcasts. They ranged from humorous to borderline unhinged, and they cracked me up. I like that Deacon mutters to himself, and comments on things while you're playing. It added a lot to his character, and the feeling of the world being more than just the backdrop you're traversing. Deacon is a weird dude, but I can't say I've experienced a protagonist like him, which I appreciated. I like that Bend made the decision to not just make Deacon a standard avatar for the player, and instead focused on making him an individual character, that players won't always agree with or empathize with in any given moment. And yeah, I know which Ripper part you're talking about, and I think that whole portion of the game is some of the strongest narratively, and comes at one of the keystone parts of the narrative that effects and shapes Deacon's arc going into the remainder of the game.

I actually think this game does a very good job of reducing the amount of dissonance we usually get between a game's narrative and its gameplay. It has some pretty constant consistency that other games can lose. When your core gameplay loop surrounds killing either zombies or humans, it becomes really hard to justify that gameplay conceit in a story where you're character is supposed to be heroic. Deacon is not heroic. Hell, the biggest beats of the story is Deacon himself reiterating that he has no interest in being a hero and "doing right by others." He's selfish (even his mission to help Boozer is more fueled by his own PTSD over losing his wife, and not wanting to bear the loss of his "brother" on top of that), single minded, and, on occasion, ruthless. Yet it doesn't clash with the gameplay or narrative. I give Uncharted a pass for being a pulpy adventure movie in the vein of Indiana Jones, but I feel like I'd feel a little weird if Deacon was this super affable guy from the start, yet was gleefully cutting through Freakers and bandits and rival factions, firing off zingers when he got a kill. He has more pathos than Kratos, but less relatability for the average person than Nathan Drake. I think that's really cool, and I'd like more protagonists in games that aren't at either extreme of the spectrum. We have so much potential in this medium to create a wide variety of protagonists and experience things from their perspective in a way we generally can't with passive mediums like film and television. TLOU2 does this as well, and to great effect.

I also think the hordes were introduced a bit too late into the game. It wasn't until near the end did I feel equipped to handle them.

They were? I mean, I remember encountering a horde very, very early into the game. I mean, the megahordes I suppose show up a little later, but taking on 50+ strong hordes early in the game can definitely happen, especially if you're just exploring the map unawares, and suddenly you run into one unexpected. It definitely happened to me on more than one occasion early on, and the fact that I was so woefully unprepared made those encounters even more terrifying. I think I remember stumbling upon a 100+ strong horde that I had to bail out on because it was too much to handle at the time. One of the things I thought was cool was how the horde count stays the same, even if you disengage from them, and come back to them later. One horde, I managed to take out about half of them before bailing, and when I returned later, after getting more weapons and upgrades, the horde was still at half.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Started it, have only got as far as dropping the bandages off. Really enjoying it so far. Is it me or is everything thing very grey? Even the loading screens, had me checking my RGB range and TV settings.

The 3d headphones setting seems to play nice with the 3d audio setting on the PS5.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the mission where Deek burnt down the church where he married Sarah. What a great and powerful mission. I'm loving the story and the characters. I'm loving the open world, I'm loving the gunplay, the traversal via bike, the exploration and the gameplay in general. In addition to that it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played and it runs at 60 FPS, which is nothing short of incredible. I'm just floored at how good a game it is on PS5.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Wow, I'm a bit blown away. I re downloaded this today and my God it's so buttery smooth. For whatever reason I can't get my previous save to work on PS5 but I don't mind starting over. Loved it back then, feels like a brand new game now.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm almost finished and I absolutely love it. Deacon is rad, I really like the story, the world.. hordes are legitimately nerve wracking and stressful.

This will join Alien Isolation as a game I adore and seriously do not get the critical reception it received.