• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Tried the game on ps5 and uninstalled after roughly 50 mins. It's as generic as you can get. Felt like a poor man's TLOU.

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this on Survival and really enjoy it, which I didn't expect. And yes, it looks great and runs beautifully on PS5.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the game on ps5 and uninstalled after roughly 50 mins. It's as generic as you can get. Felt like a poor man's TLOU.
When was the last time that the experience 50 min into a big AAA game was representative of the experience of the whole game? Only like Breath of the Wild comes to mind. Most if not all other big games will have long-ish tutorial sections where the experience is not representative of the full experience, so probably not the best idea to judge the whole game based on that.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The game sure is a looker and also a great open world game. Loved the action, characters and atmosphere.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
When was the last time that the experience 50 min into a big AAA game was representative of the experience of the whole game? Only like Breath of the Wild comes to mind. Most if not all other big games will have long-ish tutorial sections where the experience is not representative of the full experience, so probably not the best idea to judge the whole game based on that.

Pretty much. It's this fast food consumption mentality people have with entertainment these days. If something doesn't grab their interest within the first 2 minutes, it's a hard pass. I can't think of many games outside of maybe the God of War series, that starts out big, and pretty much maintains that pace throughout.

Open world games in particular don't always get into their groove until many hours into them. Hell, if I could get through the painfully slow opening of Red Dead Redemption 2, the slow start to Days Gone was a breeze in comparison lol

Like I mentioned before, I tend to give games a few hours to settle before I decide if it's something I want to continue playing or not. Doubly so for RPGs and open world games, because in general, they tend to have delayed payoff, especially as more open world implement more RPG like mechanics, where deeper mechanics are gated behind player levels and skill unlocks. Days Gone really doesn't become more engaging until you've unlocked some better weapons and skills a few hours into the game.

Vundu

Dec 9, 2017
First time playing it here also. Not sure where the negativity comes from. Graphics, story and gameplay are great IMO. 20 hours in and loving it.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
The critic scores for this game are absurdly low. It's a solid 8/10 as I'm at the end now and considering a NG+. I'd play this "generic open world zombie game" over another open world Ubisoft slog ANY time. I'm having way more fun with it than I did with say, Fallout 4.

I really have to stop trusting critic scores and just try stuff myself.

Deacon's VA did such an excellent job and also his facial animations are really, really well done.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeh, tried playing it again. Gave it like solid 4-5 hours in the second half of the game and I just can't do it.

the acting and story are just incredibly horrible in my eyes. The main character and his love interest just seem like the worst, unlikable human beings that ever existed. Smelling their own farts the whole time.

when Deacon and Sarah are leaving the area to go grab some material from her old Lab and she was being absolutely Karen ass bitch to the guy making sure no one leaves.

She just came off as incredibly unlikable. In general how she treats the people around her.

Deacon is a piece of shit as well obviously.

they also killed off my favorite character that actually seemed like a human being (Wade Taylor). Not sure if it was the voice acting or the mannerisms but he was the most believable character in the game.

Also I absolutely hate the bike riding. Doesn't control good at all and is just a huge chore. I get that is how those types of bikes behave but it doesn't fit well for a traversal game.

Runs and looks great on the ps5 however; there is only so much that can do to a game.

Last edited:

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
yeh, tried playing it again. Gave it like solid 4-5 hours in the second half of the game and I just can't do it.

the acting and story are just incredibly horrible in my eyes. The main character and his love interest just seem like the worst, unlikable human beings that ever existed. Smelling their own farts the whole time.

when Deacon and Sarah are leaving the area to go grab some material from her old Lab and she was being absolutely Karen ass bitch to the guy making sure no one leaves.

She just came off as incredibly unlikable. In general how she treats the people around her.

they also killed off my favorite character that actually seemed like a human being (Wade Taylor). Not sure if it was the voice acting or the mannerisms but he was the most believable character in the game.

Also I absolutely hate the bike riding. Doesn't control good at all and is just a huge chore. I get that is how those types of bikes behave but it doesn't fit well for a traversal game.

Runs and looks great on the ps5 however; there is only so much that can do to a game.
I don't really understand the bike complaints. I found it very easy and natural to control.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The critic scores for this game are absurdly low. It's a solid 8/10 as I'm at the end now and considering a NG+. I'd play this "generic open world zombie game" over another open world Ubisoft slog ANY time. I'm having way more fun with it than I did with say, Fallout 4.

Deacon's VA did such an excellent job and also his facial animations are really, really well done.
The reviewers playing before the big day 1 patch hurt the score. Not sure how much, but it might at least be upper 70's instead of 71.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC

Regarding the spoilers, all I can say is it feels like you completely missed the context there. Also, I thought the bike controls were great. The bike is one of my favorite parts of the game!

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I'd made it about halfway through this game before stopping to finish it on PS5. I killed my first horde in 4k60 the other day. Yea it's much better. The first time I spun the camera around and saw all of them chasing me was crazy. A sequel on PS5 that takes advantage of the DualSense will be dope. Can you imagine feeling your controller humming as a horde gets closer? And the bike??? Whoooo

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

Calling them low is honestly odd IMO. 44% of the scores on Metacritic are exactly what you prescribed or better (8/10 or higher). 67% of the scores on Metacritic are 7/10 or higher. The game having a yellow number does not mean "the critic scores are absurdly low"; more often than not it means they are mixed.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming Days Gone still runs on Pro exactly the same as it did previously on Pro, so I wonder how it knows it's running on PS5 ... and why can't that method be used on other PS4 titles.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Calling them low is honestly odd IMO. 44% of the scores on Metacritic are exactly what you prescribed or better (8/10 or higher). 67% of the scores on Metacritic are 7/10 or higher. The game having a yellow number does not mean "the critic scores are absurdly low"; more often than not it means they are mixed.

There is no world in which this game is below an 8/10, the fact that enough critics scored it low enough that its overall MC is a paltry 71, is, to me, absurd. YMMV.

Maybe it played differently enough on PS4 or without QOL improvements at release or something, I dunno.

The user scores seem to be right in line with my analysis (82).

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
I'm assuming Days Gone still runs on Pro exactly the same as it did previously on Pro, so I wonder how it knows it's running on PS5 ... and why can't that method be used on other PS4 titles.
I'm pretty sure the framerate is just uncapped, so the more powerful PS5 can run it at higher/more stable framerates. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
There is no world in which this game is below an 8/10, the fact that enough critics scored it low enough that its overall MC is a paltry 71, is, to me, absurd. YMMV.

Maybe it played differently enough on PS4 or without QOL improvements at release or something, I dunno.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing the quality of the game- I like it a lot! I'm expressing that your sentiment that the critic reviews are absurdly low and thus you shouldn't trust them doesn't really line up with all of the excellent and positive reviews it has! A minority of critics disagreed with your assessment that the game was good (33% or critics gave it lower than a 7, although whether that suddenly equates to a bad score is certainly a whole other conversation, haha). Some critics evidently didn't like it, but just by listening to the critics you can plainly see that the majority did!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

There was a big day 1 patch that fixed a lot of broken things. For some reason they didn't get that patch out sooner to reviewers.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
It has its moments, mainly when you get "oh shit" surprised by a hoard and you gotta panic fight when you aren't prepared.

Driving the bike can be fun.

Story is pretty boring and repetitive so far.

Almost all the characters are unlikeable and uninteresting.

Fuck wolves.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking it so far, but this game is definitely another victim of skill trees. Like half of the melee tree should've been available from the start. It's also ridiculous how pathetic the early guns are. I shot some shirtless skinny dude 5 times in the chest and he kept on trucking like nothing happened.

Besides that, it feels like every 5 minutes there's some new small annoyance and they keep piling up. Stuff like your items switching for no reason. Melee weapons not equipping, bike being teleported on a whim, enemies that are either omniscient or braindead (and flip flop between them), janky animations that can cause you to get hit in ways that feel unfair, bafflingly bad resource economy etc etc.

But like I said, overall I still like it. The strong concept and high production value go really far.

Edit: Gotta also mention how unlikeable everyone is. Particularly Boozer and Deek. Oh, and the voice direction. It's like they told Deek's actor to yell at the top of his lungs every time he's on a bike, but everyone else was told to speak normally.

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Pretty much. It's this fast food consumption mentality people have with entertainment these days. If something doesn't grab their interest within the first 2 minutes, it's a hard pass. I can't think of many games outside of maybe the God of War series, that starts out big, and pretty much maintains that pace throughout.

Open world games in particular don't always get into their groove until many hours into them. Hell, if I could get through the painfully slow opening of Red Dead Redemption 2, the slow start to Days Gone was a breeze in comparison lol

Like I mentioned before, I tend to give games a few hours to settle before I decide if it's something I want to continue playing or not. Doubly so for RPGs and open world games, because in general, they tend to have delayed payoff, especially as more open world implement more RPG like mechanics, where deeper mechanics are gated behind player levels and skill unlocks. Days Gone really doesn't become more engaging until you've unlocked some better weapons and skills a few hours into the game.
I agree somewhat but when I played Metro Exodus, I'm sorry but if it takes that long to get in the groove then the game is poorly designed (not suggesting Days Gone is but Metro Exodus certainly was). I don't mind slow build ups, especially for RPG type games, but it should not be 1 hour or 2 hours to learn how to play a game with constant cutscenes or hand holding.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I agree somewhat but when I played Metro Exodus, I'm sorry but if it takes that long to get in the groove then the game is poorly designed (not suggesting Days Gone is but Metro Exodus certainly was). I don't mind slow build ups, especially for RPG type games, but it should not be 1 hour or 2 hours to learn how to play a game with constant cutscenes or hand holding.
You my friend should never play Red Dead 2. That game is still tutorializing things like how to fish, all the way up to like 15 hours into the game lol.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
You my friend should never play Red Dead 2. That game is still tutorializing things like how to fish, all the way up to like 15 hours into the game lol.
I have that game and Witcher 3, never finished either but I won't give up, lol. Metro Exodus I just kind of lost interest because I know what to expect from the previous games. It's too linear for my liking, Days Gone looks much better.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Gotta also mention how unlikeable everyone is. Particularly Boozer and Deek. Oh, and the voice direction. It's like they told Deek's actor to yell at the top of his lungs every time he's on a bike, but everyone else was told to speak normally.

I think he yells to show the he's an angery boi. That or they want to make sure you hear him over the sound of your motorcycle, but yeah it's annoying.

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loaded this up for the first time on the PS5 and whoaaah looks great. So many games to catch up on, I am bouncing about like a raver on speed!

Jun 18, 2020

I'm not the original commenter, but I'm in the same boat as them. I gave up on the game after about an hour of playing.

In my opinion it's not a matter of how "big" or "slow" a game starts out, it's the quality of what's presented and how it hooks you into the rest of the game. Nothing in the first hour of play hooked me into the game or gave me a reason for continuing.

Take for example Red Dead Redemption 2, which I loved. It starts out slow, but there's suspense unfolding in the story. Even something as simple as the music kicking in during the first shooting encounter is enough of a hook into the game to keep me playing. Just give me a reason to continue.

I realize this is personal opinion, but Days Gone didn't give me anything in that first hour that signaled the rest of it was going to be a quality game. And yes it might suddenly become amazing later on, but if the game is willing to waste its very first hour through generic exposition and boring shooting tutorials, then it signals to me that it'll probably waste my time later in the game as well.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first BC games I tried after I finished Demon's Souls. 4K60 is impressive, yeah, but... let's just say I'm playing God of War now.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i wish the AI was a bit better. im surprised me using a loud as gun with no sort of muzzle didn't alert people around me more or even the zombies. just because im in a bush.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019

I'm with you on this. 71 is brutal. In a world where game prices are getting really high, aggregate meta-score is starting to matter (personally I doubt I will spend 90 Canadian on a game that falls under 90 average these days).

Oct 30, 2017
I'd also just say that I don't think the Survivor Mode was worth it.

The lack of fast travel really wore me down. Once you feel like you're pretty far along in the game, the world opens up even further and damn is the overworld pretty damn big.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the first BC games I tried after I finished Demon's Souls. 4K60 is impressive, yeah, but... let's just say I'm playing God of War now.
Have you played through Days Gone before? If not, give it another shot. It takes a few hours to get going, but it's a genuinely good game after that. One of my biggest surprises in a long time.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
It has its moments, mainly when you get "oh shit" surprised by a hoard and you gotta panic fight when you aren't prepared.

Driving the bike can be fun.

Story is pretty boring and repetitive so far.

Almost all the characters are unlikeable and uninteresting.

Fuck wolves.
The characters are so polarizing. Many find them unlikeable, and yet I 100% do not. I like them a lot. I find them very "real" actually, as opposed to feeling overly polished and "written". I think the dialog all sounds extremely natural. I grew up in a small town in Northern Canada and these characters are similarly rough around the edges as some of the people I knew :D. Now, if you (not you personally) don't LIKE this kind of personality, that's not something the game can overcome. There are lots of characters that people love in other games that I can't stand. Everyone will react differently.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It will already run at 60 fps because it has an unlocked framerate mode. You may be referring to the 4K 60fps mode, which the un-patched disk version is capable of on PS5.
yeh, that's what I meant. If its already possible I'm hoping the devs will do the right thing and unlock it in a future patch.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Days Gone is all about the emergent moments.

Finding yourself stranded in the woods at night with no gas, checking your map to find a small town is within walking distance, making the jog over to find resources and back, all while making sure nothing, y'know, eats you.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I don't like Fast Travel usually especially if there's no penalty at all. Are you saying the world is too boring to warrant travelling in real time? For reference I walked pretty much everywhere in W3.
Not so much that it's too boring, but it's VERY big, so depends on how you want to spend your gaming time. I have limited time so I wanted the ability to progress faster than I could have if driving all the way across the map each time.