• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Tried this game for the first time yesterday and it looked great on the PS5.

Bloodborne on the other hand looked like a PS3 game lol

Nov 7, 2020
Deek is definitely one of the least likeable and annoying main characters I've played in a while.
The whole biker theme and his character has completely made the game a nonstarter for me.. Not sure why, but I find it so damn boring, unrelatable, noninteresting. I played the opening sequence and thought meh, the bike controls also suck. Maybe that was just for the starting sequence though.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
It's one of the handful of PS4 exclusives I skipped because of less interest and time. I thought the concept seemed interesting but would have struggled to squeeze it in before PS5 launch. Now that I have a PS5 this and Ghost of Tsushima are on my list after I make it through some of the launch games.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The game has a lot of really neat ideas with the hordes and their behaviours. But me and my husband just cannot stand Deak or anyone else in the game. especially his ENDLESS hypermasculine bullshit violent mumbling all the time. it's embarrassing.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
I thought most reviewers had issues with the story and main character, not just the performance issues?

Started this up for the first time last night and yeah, the 60fps feels fantastic. But man, that opening cutscene was strange. I kept thinking to myself, "...Did I accidentally skip a scene or something?" Kinda just throws you in, but not exactly in a good way?

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought most reviewers had issues with the story and main character, not just the performance issues?

Started this up for the first time last night and yeah, the 60fps feels fantastic. But man, that opening cutscene was strange. I kept thinking to myself, "...Did I accidentally skip a scene or something?" Kinda just throws you in, but not exactly in a good way?

Game is rough narrative/acting wise, but the gameplay is quite fun once you get the hang of its loop.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I slept on this one when it came out, but have heard a lot of good stuff about its post-release support, so will definitely be playing it (for free: thanks ps+!) on PS5 in the new year.

Jan 20, 2019

I think it was a little bit of both, i think most peopel were tired of open worlds and Days Gone didn't made anything new and just got trashed to the moon.

The funny thing is, the studio continue to support the game and the world of month gain a lot of traction to the point that a lot of youtubers start doing 1 year later reviews and then jornalist start to talk about a hidden gem, is a great story honestly.

Your second question, is because the game has suppose to have choices and you can see that on the first scene, they scrap that mid devopment.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
The whole biker theme and his character has completely made the game a nonstarter for me.. Not sure why, but I find it so damn boring, unrelatable, noninteresting. I played the opening sequence and thought meh, the bike controls also suck. Maybe that was just for the starting sequence though.
I think some folks (this isn't a criticism) just aren't going to be interested in playing as this character. And when that's the case, there's really no way you could enjoy and play the game. I felt that way in Avengers as Ms Marvel didn't exist in the comics when I was growing up so I just didn't feel any interest in playing as her (I did try but it wasn't clicking for me). No big deal. But IF you like the character of Deacon (I did, a lot) this game is fantastic.

PS I think the bike just took a bit of getting used to, I found it very comfortable to use through the very long time I spent playing this.

Nov 7, 2020
I think some folks (this isn't a criticism) just aren't going to be interested in playing as this character. And when that's the case, there's really no way you could enjoy and play the game. I felt that way in Avengers as Ms Marvel didn't exist in the comics when I was growing up so I just didn't feel any interest in playing as her (I did try but it wasn't clicking for me). No big deal. But IF you like the character of Deacon (I did, a lot) this game is fantastic.

PS I think the bike just took a bit of getting used to, I found it very comfortable to use through the very long time I spent playing this.
True, just seems like an especially unlikable character, more so than any character I have ever played haha, I never have issues like this, so it was odd..

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say Deacon being a crazy asshole for the beginning sections of the game was a turn off but also made for some great character growth as the narrative progresses.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I tried playing this after I played Last of Us 2. I passed on this the first time because it seemed kinda generic and I usually dislike zombie games. But Last of Us 2 was so good that I was actually craving more zombie apocalypse when it was over, so I decided to give it a go and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

I know that people will defend it on the grounds that just because it's different from LoU doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, but the things I appreciated about LoU2's world are not just absent, but completely opposite here. Like, LoU has you going through the world with the understanding that you will face human enemy factions who hate you, but the hate is a byproduct of the fact that their lives are threatened by default towards any possible dangers, so it's because the world itself is broken that they are your enemies, not necessarily because they are EEEEEEEVIL. In Days Gone, they're just evil. Like, in one of the opening sections of the game, the game is introducing it's bandit camps, and to do that they had deacon overhear this group that is cackling with glee of how they are going to murder and steal from the base they just found (deacon's and boozer's place), which frames them as Deacon not just killing for the sake of survival, but out of righteousness.

Like, I'm not sure if the game ever gets self aware about it later, but it was funny how at the time Deacon seemed to unironically be muttering about how these fuckers are just murderers and thieves, but Deacon preemptively kills them (and hell, the game opens on him murdering someone) and then proceeds to loot their camp, as you do in an open world. But sure, Deacon, they're the baddies.

I guess in a way it helped me understand how much I like the nuance of Last of Us 2 in that it refuses to let you dehumanize your enemies while killing them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I tried playing this after I played Last of Us 2. I passed on this the first time because it seemed kinda generic and I usually dislike zombie games. But Last of Us 2 was so good that I was actually craving more zombie apocalypse when it was over, so I decided to give it a go and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

I know that people will defend it on the grounds that just because it's different from LoU doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, but the things I appreciated about LoU2's world are not just absent, but completely opposite here. Like, LoU has you going through the world with the understanding that you will face human enemy factions who hate you, but the hate is a byproduct of the fact that their lives are threatened by default towards any possible dangers, so it's because the world itself is broken that they are your enemies, not necessarily because they are EEEEEEEVIL. In Days Gone, they're just evil. Like, in one of the opening sections of the game, the game is introducing it's bandit camps, and to do that they had deacon overhear this group that is cackling with glee of how they are going to murder and steal from the base they just found (deacon's and boozer's place), which frames them as Deacon not just killing for the sake of survival, but out of righteousness.

Like, I'm not sure if the game ever gets self aware about it later, but it was funny how at the time Deacon seemed to unironically be muttering about how these fuckers are just murderers and thieves, but Deacon preemptively kills them (and hell, the game opens on him murdering someone) and then proceeds to loot their camp, as you do in an open world. But sure, Deacon, they're the baddies.

I guess in a way it helped me understand how much I like the nuance of Last of Us 2 in that it refuses to let you dehumanize your enemies while killing them.
Playing it after part II would change how I see it a lot. Playing it before let me just play it as its own thing and I didn't take things that seriously. Where the story is likely going for the sequel will make that even easier to separate it from TLOU.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deacon being a crazy violent vagabond POS comes up as a serious problem for a lot of the camps through most of the first half of the game. Very few people seem to actually like or trust Deacon as a person and mostly put up with him when they need a job done because they know he's good when things get ugly.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Playing it after part II would change how I see it a lot. Playing it before let me just play it as its own thing and I didn't take things that seriously. Where the story is likely going for the sequel will make that even easier to separate it from TLOU.
Yeah, TLOU2 is my favorite game in years but I don't really compare it to this. Plus there do seem to be plenty of "just evil" enemies in TLOU2.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
I passed on this game because of the bad reviews. Had it for free with the PS+ collection and thought what the hell I'll give it a try. Whoah.

Very surprised. It's actually a very good and very well made game and a lot of fun to play. I'm now having a hard time understanding why it got panned by the critics so hard unless it was technical issues on PS4. On PS5 is an awesome game.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'm now having a hard time understanding why it got panned by the critics so hard unless it was technical issues on PS4.
Well, the technical issues was one of the main cons of the game & also the 'generic' open-world mechanic.

But I find the gameplay loop & overall is more fun than Horizon even.

Now with latest patches fix most of bugs/glitches, free Challenge Modes update, and 4k 60fps PS5 + free on PS Collection =
rejoice-250x141.png
rejoice-250x141.png
rejoice-250x141.png

Last edited:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
So along with the frame rate improvements are there any others? I could be mistaken, but I remember hearing complaints about the AI when the zombies were in hordes. Is that true and has that been fixed?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Just booted it up and wow. Looks crazy good at 60. I've already Platinumed it but I may do another playthrough just to enjoy it at this level of performance. Game takes a long time to get going but gets so much better once it does.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Does this game really take 30 hours to become enjoyable or is that hyperbole? I can get past a slow start but 30 hours is more than just a slow start.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does this game really take 30 hours to become enjoyable or is that hyperbole? I can get past a slow start but 30 hours is more than just a slow start.

If you think it will take that long to enjoy it then I wouldn't bother. I found it enjoyable from the start even though it does begin slowly.

For me it is one of the best games of the generation. Upgrades help with weapons, how the bike handles etc, and I actually liked Deacon as a character and even more so as the narrative progresses.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Such an awesome game. It really surprised me, and was one of my sleeper hits/hidden gems last year.

It's been great seeing more people coming around to it. It's very easy to superficially dismiss it as "just an open world zombie game," but the level of polish, not to mention how genuinely enjoyable and intense the gameplay is, I think, sets it apart from the usual. And the biggest surprise for me was the story, and how legitimately engaged I became with it as it progressed. Character development and relationships, internal and external conflicts, all truly surprised me. I was just expecting "The Last of Us: Sons of Anarchy Edition," and it really wasn't quite that (though that's not exactly an inaccurate summation of the game XD XD ).

I beat it on the Pro last year, but I've booted it up a few times on the PS5, and yeah, it's a legit transformative experience. I also turned on the gyro aiming, which improves the gunplay even more (and it was already enjoyable).

I can't recommend it enough. My buddy finally started playing it on his PS5, and he's only an hour in and enjoying it thus far. I told him to power through that opening 3 hour hand-holdy part, as the game really opens up once you're finally set loose to just explore the world. I did warn him that it's a big game. Like, I was taken aback at how massive it is, both in geography and narrative. For a first time open world game from a relatively small studio, Bend did a fantastic job.

Looking at my game time just now, apparently I've sunk 101 hours into the game lol

I'm not even 100% finished with it (still have some hordes and bandit camps left to clear).

Oct 26, 2017
UK
If you think it will take that long to enjoy it then I wouldn't bother. I found it enjoyable from the start even though it does begin slowly.

For me it is one of the best games of the generation. Upgrades help with weapons, how the bike handles etc, and I actually liked Deacon as a character and even more so as the narrative progresses.

I have never played it im asking because someone in this thread said that
They actually said 30-40 hours. I was asking if that is accurate or hyperbole.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The concept sounds fun but in dreading playing the missions because im so tired of open world gameplay being the same in every single open world game. Hearing this is slow makes me avoid it

im playing through tsushima and its slow and cookie cutter af. But im pushing through it because its fine. This just looks a Step below.

i just want to do fun stuff with zombies like dying light or whatever its called. Thats the fun exciting part so ill download it to try that. I hope a potential sequel focuses more on that aspect. I swear the core story wouldnt even be missed if they situated the game to be more like the road or something. Just a largely silent sandbox zombie game with the cinematics or drama taking a backseat to the pure gameplay

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I also wanted to shout out the amazing weather system in the game. From the rainstorms to the snow, it's just, like, damn. Such a ridiculous detail like the ground slowly building up with snow as it falls adds so much to the believability and immersion of the world.

I also wanted to comment on Deacon as a character. There are a lot of games where the developers try too hard to get you to "like" a character from the moment they first appear on screen. In an interesting twist, Deacon just ain't that dude. From jump, he's an abrasive dick. As far as character's in the game go, Deacon was the biggest hurdle I had to overcome to get me to keep playing the game. To a point.

I won't go into spoilers, but I have to stress that Deacon is an incredibly well done, 3-dimensional character. He's the inverse of Walter White, in my opinion (a character I liked at the start of Breaking Bad, and loathed by the end). Deacon was a character that I loathed at the start ("loathe" is a bit strong, moreso, I just didn't like or feel for him), and by the end, he had undergone such a legitimate amount of character growth that I actually really, really like him a lot.

Although, to be fair, Sam Witwer is almost always entertaining in any role I've seen him in (even his Supergirl stint), and he's genuinely very good at making Deacon feel like a real guy. I mean, not a guy I want to buddy up with, but an actual human. By the end of the game, I really did understand him, and empathize with him.

Like I said in my previous post, I logged 101 hours in Days Gone. I think going into it thinking it's going to be some 20 hour open world game is a mistake. It's long. But with that length comes a lot of story, with the vast majority of it being a tearing down and re-building up of Deacon as a character. It's more in line with what you'd expect from open world RPGs. I initially went into the game thinking it'd be a quick 20-30 hour romp, and I'd call it a day. I liken the narrative to a few seasons of a TV show. Sometimes that first season is a little rough, but once the plot starts kicking in, and characters become more fleshed out, it gets its claws in you. The first 10 hours of Days Gone is like that first season of a TV Show. World building and setup, with some seemingly loosely defined characters and plot threads that don't really feel like they have much meaning. After that first "season" is over (and you'll feel it when you get there), the game takes off, and becomes something genuinely special.

Deacon's not the most easily likable protagonist in a game, but for me, he got there in the end (actually, before the end of the game. there's some mid-game plot points that really flipped the script on my impression of Deacon as a character, and carried i through to the home stretch). Kind of reminds me of Kratos in the original PS2 God of War games. The games were fun, but Kratos is an insufferable dickweed. I still loved them, but in spite of its protagonist, not because of it. The PSP God of War games, and then the PS4 game, really fleshed him out and made him a truly interesting and complex character, in my opinion. At least Deacon accomplished that in a single game lol

I'm generally a "play the game for a few hours, and if i'm not feeling it, drop it," kind of guy, but I'm legit glad I stuck with Days Gone. As I said, it really surprised me.

Definitely not. For me, it was more like 3 or 4. Basically, once the game let me loose into the open world, and I was able to start upgrading weapons, my bike, and unlocking some genuinely useful skills, it became infinitely more enjoyable. Aside from doing story missions, I had particular goals I wanted to accomplish gameplay wise. Like, I wanted a better weapon, or I wanted the upgrade to my bike that increased handling/speed/armor/etc, or I wanted to get the skill that gave me higher resource drops, or made me more dangerous in combat. Pursuing those goals led to some really enjoyable gameplay moments as I foraged for the required parts, or completed the required tasks. "30 hours" is incredibly hyperbolic.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
I have never played it im asking because someone in this thread said that
They actually said 30-40 hours. I was asking if that is accurate or hyperbole.

Huge hyperbole, or someone was trying to be snarky, because it takes around 40 hours to beat the game. You know, he finished the game, so now he could enjoy himself not playing it anymore etc.

Anyway, I liked it from the beginning, but it became better after around 6-8 hours. It was kinda slow introduction.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Started the game on PS4 and played it for a bit but I eventually dropped it. Been thinking of picking it back up on PS5 at 60FPS.

Heard the game is lengthy, my current mission is "No One Saw it Coming", so my question is how far I'm into the game? Still early? Half-way?

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This game was on my radar when it was first shown, but I was still on a launch PS4 and didn't have a 4k tv to enjoy it.

I'm happy I waited on my PS5 and 4k tv, this game is beautiful and very fun to play.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed Days Gone, especially and surprisingly Deacon.
I thought the looting and crafting was bad, but the rest is fun and entertaining.

If i can buy a Ps5 eventually in the near future i'll try this out since i want to gold some challenges, where i think the fps boost can help a lot.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it on PS4 Pro and I like it. It's good.

+ I like the percentage story approach
+/- Collectible/weapon ideas needed one more pass but it's close.
+/- As a born/raised Oregonian they nail some of Oregon and miss large swaths of it. Wish they would go west towards the coast.
+ Controls
+ UI/Map are great
- Needs a better Indicator/evaluator of the environment because it feels like I'm passing a lot of 'pointless' sometimes. Exploring feels kind of dead, procedural but maybe I'm missing something.
+ Outside of his name, Deacon is alright. Writing and dialogue is actually pretty good, honestly better than a lot of games. Tone is on point. There's probably some cringe in there but I found myself empathizing here more than most of Sony's games.
+ You can cheese things but still have to escape from a horde and that's fun. Always.

I hope we get a sequel set in Eugene.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
I need to try this again. Put in a few hours on PS4, but it was so laggy in combat. Like input delay? was really hard to get into. I'm only on base ps4, maybe thats why, never seen a game have that much input lag before.

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still shocked at the 2nd map being a thing, like Bend is 100 people how did they make this fucking MASSIVE game?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still shocked at the 2nd map being a thing, like Bend is 100 people how did they make this fucking MASSIVE game?

It's funny, because the starting area is already pretty damn massive, but then the game opens up again, and I was like, O_O "holy shit, this game is huge!"

Generally, I don't particularly think that the size of a game map is important, or indicative of quality (whether it be a big or small map), but for this game, and because your primary mode of transportation is your motorcycle, having a large world adds to that feeling of "travelling the open road," that I think the game was going for.

It also doesn't hurt that the game is just so damn beautiful to look at. The biomes are also pretty diverse enough, although the opening area is easy to get lost in since it's a lot of heavily forested areas and dirt roads that can look samey. Overall, though, the game map is quite unique.

Another aspect I oddly enjoy about the game is the fuel mechanic. Usually, that kind of thing is super annoying to me, but in this game, I didn't mind it. It also led to some fun detours gameplay wise. Like, I was being lazy and not refueling, and my bike died on me, which then sent me on a mini-quest to track down a fuel can so I could refuel. That ended up being a long trek through some dangerous areas, fighting off Freakers, and I eventually found a gas can, then had to trek back to my bike so I could refuel it. It was like a filler episode of something like The Walking Dead.lol

I also liked just letting my bike coast down a steep incline, not hitting the gas, those little gas saving "tricks" you learn along the way.

Jan 20, 2019

Actualy they were 50 pepel for the majority of the project, a single developer made the horde mechanic.

Only in the last 2 years did they increaae to 100 peopel, that is why i have faith that Days Gone 2 is going to be incredible

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
The editing of the intermediate cinematics is very bad, I did not see any other problems. I continue to play, enjoying every moment. I think I'm close to the end.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017

I loved it from the start and went on to platinum it which is something I rarely do. I didn't get it until a few months after launch and played on Pro and it ran great for me. I could see myself replaying it on PS5 for sure.