• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
After the negativity and criticism surrounding the game on release I decided to hold off on getting it without spending too much time looking into the problems, so I am essentially playing the game blind now. I have no clue what's new or what was changed at all. I have to say, I've been enjoying it a whole lot. I actually find the story interesting and taking on the hordes with various methods is always really tense and exhilirating. I heeded the dev's advice on playing the game on Hard and I'm so glad I did because those first few hours were super challenging with all the scavenging needed to just scrape by, but it feels oh so satisfying when you get better perks and weapons to cause mayhem with.

I do have to admit though, I've ran into a fair few bugs, most of them graphically. I've had a number of times when textures just didn't look good at all, making the game resemble something from the PS1 era. I could have passed it off as a one off it had only happened once, but it's happened quite a few times now and puts me off a bit. I've also had times when the map has just sort of shit its pants and caused stuff like.... This to happen.

It was actually quite amusing, but this is one of the buggiest games I've played in a while, which is a shame because I really like it apart from that. Did anyone else play the game for the first time after it had been 'fixed' so to speak? How did you find it? No story spoilers please, I haven't finished it yet. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Really liked the game a ton, hated the last third. Dragged on far too long.

there's a point where it feels like it should end and it doesnt

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Really liked the game a ton, hated the last third. Dragged on far too long.

there's a point where it feels like it should end and it doesnt

Just leaving this here.

man-in-the-arena.png

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I was very very surprised with how much I enjoyed the game from beginning to end. Admittedly I never encountered bugs like the one you've shown here. Either way though, I loved the story, loved the characters, and just overall thought it was very very well acted by all performers involved. It definitely has rough patches and isn't free of issues but I can't wait to see what bend does in a sequel, I'm sure they learned sooooo much from making this game. Also PS5 will help a ton I imagine.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Are you playing on a base PS4 OP? I played through it in April and didn't run into that map glitch at all. I did have a problem with the map not loading in during a mission and it made me hard reboot my PS4 Pro to fix it.

I did the same with playing the game on hard but that made me quit playing it for a week or so due to the difficulty. I was glad I did come back though because I really enjoyed the rest of the game.

Overall I liked it, the story was really good to me and I really enjoyed Deacon as a character.

Oct 28, 2019
Game is pretty tight but then again I'm a sucker for that gameplay loop of kill and loot some shit > drive to the next point > kill and loot some shit

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I played the game not long ago after all the patches and remember one instance when an npc shot up into the air,apart from that it was fine.....funny how the same game can have different issues for different people....I guess a video game has a lot of working parts that can break,lol.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I also don't remember any bugs honestly.
Days Gone was the biggest surprise to me, cause I bought it way after release at a sale.
I got something quite amazing as a game, because clearing hordes reminded me of frantic arcade games, rather than AAA open world design. It was seriously great to just play.

Story also gets better as it goes and Deacon is a good protagonist. Not to mention there are moments this is fighting for best looking game this gen.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Open world games have to be a nightmare to quality check for bugs. So many variables to have to consider and test for. Bend is a smaller dev team and even after months of patches there's still crazy bugs in the game.
That aside, it was fun for awhile. Just overstayed its welcome. Still enjoyed it enough that I'm interested in how they'd improve upon the game in a sequel.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone was my surprise hit of the generation. Was a great game......especially once you get past the first 5-10 hours.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Buggy and bloated but I really enjoyed the emergent gameplay and was surprisingly attached to the characters. (Dare I say, more so than The Last of Us...) Looking forward to what Bend can do with a sequel, it could turn into a really great series.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I'm confused, you're saying you're going in blind, but you're also playing for the first time in 2020, which suggests your vision is clear.

Seriously though, that bug you got there is spectacular, I didn't have a bug like that while playing.

hobdal

Mar 1, 2018
Bought it when it was ÂŁ15.99 last month. Went in not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Really enjoyed the story, characters, gameplay and the world. Only thing I would say is that it overstayed it's welcome somewhat. By the end of the last section I just wanted it to be over. Solid 8/10 game I'd say.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Just leaving this here.

man-in-the-arena.png
nGMrD.gif

Anywho - I thoroughly enjoyed Days Gone. Sure, the story was generic as fuck, the "gas up your bike" mechanic was more annoying than it was 'challenging' or exciting (but it's very much alleviated via ingame progression). But the worldbuilding was very much decent, and the open world mechanics were decent.

I loved the horde mechanics - because usually "hordes" in games are used to push the player into running away, because they're an unwinnable combat encounter.
The fact that you can actually 'clear' a horde was incredibly satisfying.

I also liked how the game somewhat organically intertwines main and side stories.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This game was great, and definitely worth the pickup, especially nowadays. It's also a beautiful looking game. The gameplay loop is so addicting.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I had a blast with the game and I hope Bend returns to the world with a sequel on PS5. Rough diamond for me. Frustrating in the beginning, bit tedious in the end, but core gameplay was the tits and atmosphere and world exploration where ace.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I was not impressed by this game when I got this last month. Assets loading way too late... Stale gameplay first many hours... Terrible loading times when booting the game... Terrible refuel mechanic in the early game...

I appreciate the open world setting. Oregon looks so cool. But there are so many annoying elements to actually playing the game. It didn't really feel like a Sony exclusive.

Might retry it on PS5. At least the loading times should be fixed.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Really liked the game. While it's not as wow as Horizon or other PS exclusives, it had a lot of heart and was a lot of fun. I'm definitely getting Days Gtwo whenever it comes out.

Also, pro-tip: turn on gyro-aiming. It makes things SO much easier.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I have been playing for the first time in the last 3 months. I am at the 3rd camp, and have had fun, although I feel very underpowered and the quest system is confusing to me. But I am slowly making progress and hear things pick up very soon.
I think the game it beautiful, the music spot on, and the gameplay feels pretty good. Altogether, I'm having fun.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Its a borderline great game. It was buggy and it drags. But I had fun exploring the world and playing out the story. I think the reviews were a little too harsh on the game.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I played close to launch on Pro and dont recall seeing any map or texture glitches. if there were they were super minor. Loved the game btw. Might have seen a zombie or 2 bugging out iirc.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I had issues on the same part of the map as you OP. One of the marauder hideouts wouldn't load in.

I liked the game overall, it was too long though. I took a break and played something else halfway through. I didn't find the main character to be at all sympathetic either. Just the least jerk-y jerk in a land of jerks, although that was maybe the point...

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I started playing it a few days ago and so far haven't run into any bugs like that. I think I encountered some scrap that was just floating in the air other than that its been smooth.

Not sure how much I like having to manage fuel and repairing the bike but otherwise I'm liking it so far.

OP
OP
GurrenSwagann

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I started playing it a few days ago and so far haven't run into any bugs like that. I think I encountered some scrap that was just floating in the air other than that its been smooth.

Not sure how much I like having to manage fuel and repairing the bike but otherwise I'm liking it so far.

There's enough petrol stations and checkpoints scattered around to alleviate the stress of running out of fuel, somewhat. The fuel tank upgrade is one of the biggest priorities though

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I played this for roughly 10-15 hrs last year. While there were parts of it I enjoyed (the open world, the combat), I just could not stand the main protagonist. I'm usually a big fan of Witwer's work, which is one of the main reasons I bought this. But the constant scenes that played out like this:

Deacon: oh, believe me, I'll be coming for you, *bike revs up* I am coming to get you and everyone you care about!

Which in turn caused my sound to skyrocket. So I would either be leaning in just to hear the character to being knocked back by him yelling out of nowhere. And it happened all the time.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I completed the game and didn't run into any major glitches outside of shooting a few people that shot up into the skybox.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
I played it in december of 2019 and loved it. I kinda wanna go back and fiddle with the gyro controls and clear out the last few hordes i have left. I really hope they get to make a sequel for the PS5.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks to those who contextualized the mod image. I didn't see Troy Baker's take on everything, so I definitely wouldn't have gotten that the image was posted as a joke by the mod.

I played Days Gone for the first time this year and beat it a few weeks ago, and yeah that last third is definitely unnecessary. The game is largely fun in a "turn off your brain and do rudimentary things" kind of way that I find a lot of Ubisoft games to be, though. It's a 7/10 for me.

Nov 8, 2017
It's the best game I played in 2019 and one of the few games I've bothered to get the platinum for. I loved it. Considering the studio had to grow so much to put out their first AAA game, I can't wait to see what they do with what they learned on Days Gone and with the PS5.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
There's enough petrol stations and checkpoints scattered around to alleviate the stress of running out of fuel, somewhat. The fuel tank upgrade is one of the biggest priorities though

True there are enough places to find gas. I have put myself in situations where I ran out of gas and had to travel on foot.

I've upgraded the fuel tank once and will probably upgrade it again once I unlock it