• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
For the last five or six years, I've had a deck of bicycle cards on my bookshelf that I use exclusively for bookmarks. I often juggle several books at a time before settling on one, so I usually have 5 or 6 bookmarks floating around, especially if I stopped reading something a while ago and put it back on the shelf.

It is incredibly handy to just get a new card from the deck when I start something instead of looking around for something that would make a good bookmark. Or worse, using a thin receipt (which I often used to do after buying a book).

They're cheap, plentiful, and the perfect size. My only complaint with this method is that they're just a little too thin so that you can't flip to the page quite as easily as with a thicker bookmark.

For some reason this feels like something a grandpa would do. I'm okay with that.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Ah yes, my copy of Mystical Space Typhoon has served as an excellent bookmark for many manga.

OP
OP
BossLackey

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
so what happens when you actually need a complete deck of cards, do you go through all your books and lose your place?

Yeah. Every time me and da bois play poker, I go through every book to find my bookmarks, which takes a long time. I then lose my place in my books and have to start over.

I've been reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone since it was published.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is a good idea.

I normally use sticky notes or store receipts but I frequently find I don't have any at hand.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I do the exact same thing down to having a pile on the bookshelf that I just grab from when starting a new book.

I actually double checked the OP wondering when the hell I posted this thread.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
If you collect any CCGs, you likely have stacks of extra commons laying around.

I've been using cards from the Final Fantasy CCG as bookmarks; They are a little thicker than other playing cards.

Last edited:

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I use a long strip of ribbon and tuck in into the back so it won't come loose. Like the kind that come in Bibles.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
410zgCqdoCL.jpg

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, manga and light novels are my main hobby. I'm currently using one bookmark, yet I typically have more than one thing going at once. This is a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to buy a set of weeb playing cards from RightStuf.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I do this too, I have a stack of decks with missing cards (for whatever reason) in my closet tied with a rubber band. I start a new book, i grab a new card.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use a rubber band. Take it off and put it on my wrist while I'm reading. Don't have to worry about it ever falling out or anything.

But now I kind of wish I used playing cards. Seems cooler.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I just fold the page in half

When I was younger I hated doing this (or damaging books in any way - to the point where I wouldn't even let people sign a yearbook). Now I'm the complete opposite. I prefer books that have "aged" characteristics. I don't know what it is, but knowing that someone before me had read this same book adds a bit of magic to it.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Use a Bicycle card as well, the packs usually come with at lease 1 non-playing card card so I use that and leave the actual playing cards complete.

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
I loaned a book to a friend and got it back with a Magic the Gathering swamp land inside it as a bookmark. I thought it was a good idea and still have it in some book around here.