• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Horizon Zero Dawn mentioned as an influence when rumors of this game started leaking out? My guess is it's going to be HZD's gameplay loop with some original Fable mechanics sprinkled on top.

I think it was mostly about how they were inspired by the success of Zero Dawn:

www.eurogamer.net

Sources: Microsoft plots Fable return

Work is underway on a brand new, big-budget Fable game, Eurogamer can reveal.Fable franchise owner Microsoft has tasked…

That said many open world AAA games follow the Ubisoft template, like Zero Dawn does, so it wouldn't be surprising to see elements of it in Fable. Still hoping it's more traditional than that and we won't have to clear areas or take over bandit camps or climb towers or similar tropes.

Last edited:

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You guys know that the team that makes Forza Horizon isn't the one making Fable, right?

Too often I read comments implying that Fable will be great because Playground Games made great games already when it's basically a new team, most of whom never worked on Horizon.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was mostly about how they were inspired by the success of Zero Dawn:

www.eurogamer.net

Sources: Microsoft plots Fable return

Work is underway on a brand new, big-budget Fable game, Eurogamer can reveal.Fable franchise owner Microsoft has tasked…

That said many open world AAA games follow the Ubisoft template, like Zero Dawn does, so it wouldn't be surprising to see elements of it in Fable. Still hoping it's more traditional than that and we won't have to clear areas or take over bandit camps or climb towers or similar tropes.
I'm expecting the traditional open world formula until Playground shows something different. Those game sell well, review well, and consistently get mentioned in GOTY discussions. They only get push back from core gaming communities but everybody else seems to love these games. I'd expect a new studio to choose the safest route but I'd like to be wrong.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You guys know that the team that makes Forza Horizon isn't the one making Fable, right?

Too often I read comments implying that Fable will be great because Playground Games made great games already when it's basically a new team, most of whom never worked on Horizon.
Alot of veterans of the Horizon team moved over to the Fable team tho. And on the Horizon team alot of new talent joined to take over.
Then offcourse hired expertise for open world, rpg and story games. As you do.
Think the game will be fine and great. But i said this many times. It will has some flaws as venturing into a new genre always brings. Wich is fine.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Sure
I specifically mentioned Horizon because that seems to be what influenced Xbox/Playground to reboot Fable. It also makes sense. This new team has never made a game together. I doubt they're going to attempt to redefine the genre with their first game.
I hope they take a big clue from Sony open-world games and implement actual fun gameplay and combat and good stories and characters. It is what sets Sony open-world games apart from most others.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Bit too early to tell of only a cinematic trainer.
Personally hoping it takes more after the original idea (generational play (eg being able to play the hero, their kid(s)c grandkid(s) etc), randomized mission, being able to influence the world). Can have online MP by allowing people to visit.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Crank your expectations way down, Forza is very different from Fable and the odds are that they aren't going to reinvent open worlds. It'd be cool if they did, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they take a big clue from Sony open-world games and implement actual fun gameplay and combat and good stories and characters. It is what sets Sony open-world games apart from most others.
Nothing but combat here applies to HZD. Same for Tsushima. Days Gone was just mediocre on all fronts.

The common thread for Sony open world games is looking really good.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing but combat here applies to HZD. Same for Tsushima. Days Gone was just mediocre on all fronts.

The common thread for Sony open world games is looking really good.
That's your opinion, but at least Horizon and Tsushima get lots of praise for their stories. I personally enjoyed the story of Days Gone a lot as well. All three games have great to good gameplay. A huge step above the jank we get in most open-world-games. There are also Death Stranding (at least partly a Sony game) and Spider-Man, both with great gameplay, characters and stories.

These are legit good to great games. Better than anything that Ubisoft squeezes out every year - and I enjoy my Ubi-Open-World-Jank quite a bit.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it retains the humor, the social sim stuff, and the curated world design I think it'll be a worthy successor to the first two entries. Playground clearly knows how to craft a pretty open world, but keeping that core spirit of the Fable dna is key. I adore Fable II so I hope they stick the landing.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

There's some staff overlap, and it's still the same studio culture. Leadership remains the same.
It's reasonable to expect a great entry.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
The open world's in Horizon 3 and 4 are some of the best ever created. I can not wait to see a fantasy world created by them.

Now combat and story are complete unknowns. With Microsoft support hopefully they can get the help experience they need.

I'm extremely excited to see what they create

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting an open world action game with RPG elements – something that falls somewhere between Ass. Creed Odyssey/Valhalla and Ghosts of Tsushima. Making a true-blue WRPG is really difficult, even for studios who have tons of experience, which Playground does not.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I just want first fable with more choices, customization options, and a larger world(not ultra large).

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
There better be Demon Doors, Hobbes, Balvarines, etc. I also wonder how the Sims elements and whatnot will work in a shared world such as buying every piece of property, housing your family in a specific location, etc.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Still not what I want from a Fable game.
Same I definitely have my concerns. What's usually off about shared world games for me is they're based off of the repeatable content that's ultimately busy work and not very good. I think you could have a shared world and the type/quantity of content you would expect in a traditional Fable game but whether or not that ends up being the case is unknown at this point. I'd like a Fable open world with a ~20 hour story and side quests that are not designed around multiplayer then add the shared world stuff on top of that. Easier said than done though because I feel it hasn't been done well in your Destiny, Division, Anthem, etc.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
Same I definitely have my concerns. What's usually off about shared world games for me is they're based off of the repeatable content that's ultimately busy work and not very good. I think you could have a shared world and the type/quantity of content you would expect in a traditional Fable game but whether or not that ends up being the case is unknown at this point. I'd like a Fable open world with a ~20 hour story and side quests that are not designed around multiplayer then add the shared world stuff on top of that. Easier said than done though because I feel it hasn't been done well in your Destiny, Division, Anthem, etc.
Exactly, as much as they promise it's what we will get with every shared world game we still haven't seen a strong narrative in those. If Microsoft wants a Fable with multiplayer so badly they shouldn't have cancelled Legends.

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they don't look at Ubisoft games and go...hmmm that's what we should do!

Whatever novel idea you have throw it in there and try it out

ZedKay101

May 31, 2020
It seems they've been working on this title since some time in 2017 (or at least that's when Playground decided to have a second team working on a WRPG).

I'm fairly confident that the game will be a stunner visually and will be very polished. The writing and combat is a question mark for me. If they nail those aspects too, we're looking at a hit.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There are some rumors suggesting the game could be an MMO. I'm not very excited, honestly.

For anyone who is concerned about not getting a proper role-playing game (RPG), your fears are unfounded. Multiple sources familiar with the plans for Playground's take on Fable have confirmed to us that it is an action-RPG, one that you can play in single-player. There may be online elements like co-op functionality or limited, optional shared spaces but nothing to the extent that would justify classifying the game as an MMO.

Windows Central -- "Fable is not an MMO and Halo Infinite's multiplayer is not being delayed. Take a deep breath and unwind." | ResetEra

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope it feels fresh and isn't eight hours long. I always thought the biggest problem with the Fable games (other than their comically ridiculous Molyneux expectations) was how little content there were in those games. The choice and consequence in Fable 1 is very facile, but it's still charming and fun, and frankly the storytelling in these games is so simplistic (in a charming way) that I don't really expect or want deep choice/consequence because it's always been an action RPG first -- and a pretty good one at that.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Why is it unrealistic now? The tech is there now and has been for a while, I think it's more should they go their own way? rather than is what Peter envisaged possible? What I don't want to see is another cookie cutter open world that's a retread of every open world game for the last decade (RDR2 excluded not because it does anything new its just so much better than the rest).

I don't mean to be rude but I don't think you understand how game development works.
Peter Molineux vision is crazy simply because it takes TONS of time to implement. The technology was there when he was talking about it. Very few games have systems like the things he promised, and the ones that do have SOME crazy mechanics have been developed for years.

For example, the "plant an acorn and then when you come later the tree grows" is not a hard programming thing. But implementing it, testing it, creating graphics, testing it, takes TONS of time. Time that needs to be used for way more important stuff like... combat, missions, etc... How much does that feature matter when you could improve way more important parts of the game?
It's one of the reasons GTAV is SO AMAZING, almost no games in the market have the budget to do what they did with their details.

Another example, Dwarf Fortress. Dwarf Fortress does amazing things but the game has been in the making for 15 years and it's all done through procedural systems. Making it any other way would be impossible simply because of time.

OP
OP
Negotiator117

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I don't mean to be rude but I don't think you understand how game development works.
Peter Molineux vision is crazy simply because it takes TONS of time to implement. The technology was there when he was talking about it. Very few games have systems like the things he promised, and the ones that do have SOME crazy mechanics have been developed for years.

For example, the "plant an acorn and then when you come later the tree grows" is not a hard programming thing. But implementing it, testing it, creating graphics, testing it, takes TONS of time. Time that needs to be used for way more important stuff like... combat, missions, etc... How much does that feature matter when you could improve way more important parts of the game?
It's one of the reasons GTAV is SO AMAZING, almost no games in the market have the budget to do what they did with their details.

Another example, Dwarf Fortress. Dwarf Fortress does amazing things but the game has been in the making for 15 years and it's all done through procedural systems. Making it any other way would be impossible simply because of time.
It's more of a question of weather it is the best route for Playground to take with the game, or make something more like the open world games we are used to. I'm well aware it's a daunting task, but it's certainly more viable these days than it was nearly 20 years ago.

Gaming back then and first hearing of Project Ego and the ideas behind it you couldn't help but get swept up in the hype. I just want to see a great game, but man that planting a acorn and it growing over the years just like your hero ages would be pretty cool.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
It's Fable. The game, in my opinion, is cursed by gamers having too much expectations and I doubt it will carry the same magic as Fable 1 and 2.
The rose coloured glasses of nostalgia are definitely a double edged sword. I replayed anniversary and 2 recently and while the core loop is fun they are definitely ancient games now.

I hope this fable has a robust combat system and takes from the story and support CDPR gave the Witcher 3 (which would make sense with game pass to keep people coming back)

ZedKay101

May 31, 2020
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I mean this is true, but I wouldn't set my expectations too high either. Forza Horizon is a really different game, aside the open world setting not a lot translates.

I wouldn't have high hopes for Polyphony digital making the next Demon's Souls either. Not to say they couldn't do a good job, but I think setting your expectations in the sky is just likely to leave you feeling let down.

Whatever they do with Fable, it'll probably be decent because the previous Fable games (in my opinion) have been a bit naff. So It'll be good to see the IP return, and hopefully it's fun.

Well after the release of Horizon zero dawn after years of killzone I believe

Also they are based in UK where kionheas wrevso they have access to the of final developers and crucially the same sense of humour in their blood

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Keep expectations in check. Just because they made great racing games, doesn't mean you'll get the same level of quality in human animations, writing, storytelling, AI, combat, etc.

Even guerrilla going from killzone to horizon was a shorter leap than what PG is doing.
True but they are based in UK where lionhead were so they have access to the original developers and crucially the same sense of humour in their blood

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I want them to use their crazy ass engine to make a world that is a fusion of Fable 2 and 3 and something like Viva Pinata or Animal Crossing. Just a big little fairy tale world that changes over time where you can hop in and do action RPG stuffs, but also like... village/kingdom management stuffs.

For multiplayer, if any, I wouldn't mind being able to take on jobs or hire mercenaries from "other worlds". More than that, I dunno. I'd like to have maximum impact on my world, to shape it how I want.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well after the release of Horizon zero dawn after years of killzone I believe

Also they are based in UK where kionheas wrevso they have access to the of final developers and crucially the same sense of humour in their blood

After Shadowfall and Killlzone 3 not being all that I actually don't think that's too great a comparison. I don't think folks thought much of Horizon until they saw the footage for themselves.

I'm not at all saying that Playground can't produce a great fable game, just that setting your expectations too high is never a good idea.

Look at it this way, if you go in with modest expectations you'll be pleasantly surprised if they make a great Fable game, and not all too surprised if it disappoints either. Having high expectations for games you have little information on just feels like you're setting yourself up to big disaapointments.

I'm just hopeful it's a decent game. It doesn't gave to me ground breaking, just fun and I'll be content.