• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
What will the game be like? I feel this could be a real step forward for open world games, Playground Games really are that good. With pushing a genre forward comes ambition, and Project Ego which was later renamed Fable had bags of the stuff.

Peter Molyneux was quoted as saying, "It's gonna be the best game ever." He was wrong obviously but his ideas were compelling. The original concept was to give the player total freedom with an open-world game, but the final version was very linear.

The point is would Playground be able now to realise Peter's full vision for Fable? Or would going their own path be the better option? I'm looking forward to it either way.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to involve drop in shared world gameplay ala Horizon somehow

Probably look amazing

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I think PG games will deliver. They are one of the best developers in the Industry. constantly innovating and delivering quality products and for this very project they have been recruiting the best talents with lots of experience in the genre. I would love to see their own unique take on the franchise. This and PD got me really hyped.

CorvoAttano

Oct 11, 2020
I hope they go deep into player choice and not just for big world events "choose x or y", but rather create an emergent gameplay system with novel game mechanics that interact to present new choices instead of just the scripted choices. You could say that's akin to what Molyneux promised but never delivered.
Like, you can learn to teleport to ledges and then take a different route through a room's window sill to get inside an enemy castle (instead of barging through the main gate) and find a princess there whom you can befriend and she comes to your aid later in the story.

Playground is a solid studio so I expect a good game at the least, but the presence of these things will make it great for me.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Playground Games are very good at what they do, yes, but until now that's pretty much just Forza Horizon. Stellar games, and I'm optimistic about the new Fable, but I don't think anybody should be hyping themselves up over the idea that it will be a revolutionary open world title that finally cashes in those Molyneux checks.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The Molyneux exaggerations should not transfer over to Playground. I was hoping for that to die down with a completely different developer making the game.

It's Fable. The game, in my opinion, is cursed by gamers having too much expectations and I doubt it will carry the same magic as Fable 1 and 2.

I wish we would get a Fable II anniversary or at the very least a Fable II PC port. It's my favorite of the three but visually it hasn't aged well.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Honestly. I don't think we should have such high expectations.
Me either. Fable one was amazing, liked Fable 2 and hated Fable 3 and that mini game they made.

We'll see what playground games makes of the brand but for now it's best to just keep expectations in check and let whatever they make do the talking when it's revealed.

OP
OP
Negotiator117

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Maybe because Peter Molyneux' vision for the game was completely bonkers back then and is still completely unrealistic now.

EDIT: Not that Playground doesn't have the chops to make a great Fable game. Better than 3, for sure.
Why is it unrealistic now? The tech is there now and has been for a while, I think it's more should they go their own way? rather than is what Peter envisaged possible? What I don't want to see is another cookie cutter open world that's a retread of every open world game for the last decade (RDR2 excluded not because it does anything new its just so much better than the rest).

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Why is it unrealistic now? The tech is there now and has been for a while, I think it's more should they go their own way? rather than is what Peter envisaged possible? What I don't want to see is another cookie cutter open world that's a retread of every open world game for the last decade (RDR2 excluded not because it does anything new its just so much better than the rest).
The tech has been there for a while I think. It's probably more a time, money and man hours thing. I still don't think some of that stuff is realistically doable on any budget.

Hell, I still don't think some of that stuff actually serves a purpose and should even be done.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
I hope they don't focus too much on online, a good single player campaign is all i need, i love this franchise

OP
OP
Negotiator117

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
This makes me wonder what engine will be used for it. Do we know? Horizon games use the same engine as Motorsport, right, so it most likely won't be that.
This is something that's quite strange to me, they have the Forza engine and 343 has the Slipspace engine but yet they use Unreal engine more than any other. Fair enough maybe Forza is cars and maybe it wouldn't work for action adventure game. 343's Slipspace is surely a more robust engine and could be used by more teams under Microsoft?

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
They will probably want to turn this into a successful series, so my guess is they will play it "safe" with their first entry.

Being faithful to what made the original games stand out (world/setting, humour, music, narration, hero customization/evolution, silly side quests, easy combat...), but nothing groundbreaking in terms of gameplay, story or length.

Also it will be gorgeous and perform really well, this is a given from the studio behind Forza Horizon (and tbh this is will be a welcome change after Lionhead's games).

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
This is something that's quite strange to me, they have the Forza engine and 343 has the Slipspace engine but yet they use Unreal engine more than any other. Fair enough maybe Forza is cars and maybe it wouldn't work for action adventure game. 343's Slipspace is surely a more robust engine and could be used by more teams under Microsoft?
I think that's due to how much freedom Microsoft gives their development teams. They also have ID Tech now, but everyone seems to be free to use whatever they want to realize their game. It's certainly not EA and their Frostbite.
It will be built upon Unreal Engine.
That is what I think as well, just made me wonder if PG could adapt Forza engine for an RPG. They already made it open world with Horizon. But a more logical conclusion would be Unreal.

Nov 8, 2017

It's extremely flexible, extremely well supported by a third party company (ie not taking staff hours from 343), and new hires are very likely to be experienced in UE4 since its so widely used.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It will probably be Forza Horizon x Ubisoft-Open-World x Fable x GaaS including optional multiplayer.

I don't expect too much but I will be pleasantly surprised if it's a fully-fledged single-player RPG with decision making, good combat and a good (finished) story that takes some of Molyneux' ideas and actually puts them into the game.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Fable everyone wants and was originally promised will not exist short of full-blown artificial intelligence, which is to say, anyone hoping for Molyneux's vision is delusional. Playground Games might be a great dev, but they aren't literal wizards.

Let them make what they make.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I don't expect it to live up to my expectations of a new Fable, or even if the original pitch of Fable. But I would hope it will be a damn good, magical action adventure game.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think the game will be good and quite successful for a long time. However it will not live up to the expectations many people have of it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm optimistic but honestly never cared much for the original Fable, so much so I hope Playground don't try to replicate aspects of it too much.

Not really worried that they've done racing games before, I mean devs have probably done all sorts on their resumes and new hires etc.. They seems like a well run studio which is a huge positive to begin with.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
They arent using Unreal actually, they are using a fork of forzaTech. Just to speculate but I think that's why forza motorsport is still in early production 3 years after the last entry in the motorsport franchise, I think they were working on the 'FableTech' engine. Plus Alan Hartman, the head of turn 10, is now the "vice president of forza and fable", according to linkedin. Also, there were some job posting for Turn10 in redmond that were something to do with supporting technology sharing for fable.

The information about playground using unreal might be because they have a similar front end maybe?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They arent using Unreal actually, they are using a fork of forzaTech. Just to speculate but I think that's why forza motorsport is still in early production 3 years after the last entry in the motorsport franchise, I think they were working on the 'FableTech' engine. Plus Alan Hartman, the head of turn 10, is now the "vice president of forza and fable", according to linkedin. Also, there were some job posting for Turn10 in redmond that were something to do with supporting technology sharing for fable.

The information about playground using unreal might be because they have a similar front end maybe?
I think the main engine being used is Unreal with Forza tech next to it. Same with Flight Sim wich uses some Forza tech also.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I am looking foward to it though it's more due a personal reason with my twin sister working at Playground Games.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
That's why they built a new team for it lol

3 years in and people still think only the Forza team is actually working on the game
it's hilarious people keep thinking that. They have been on a hiring spree, bringing in all the talent they need. people who have worked at CD projekt, Guerilla, Rocksteady, Bioware, Konami, Dice, Bungie, Rockstar, Ninja Theory, EA even former Lion Head.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Horizon Zero Dawn mentioned as an influence when rumors of this game started leaking out? My guess is it's going to be HZD's gameplay loop with some original Fable mechanics sprinkled on top.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Wasn't Horizon Zero Dawn mentioned as an influence when rumors of this game started leaking out? My guess is it's going to be HZD's gameplay loop with some original Fable mechanics sprinkled on top.

HZD gameplay loop is literally "Ubisoft open world design" as its core.

It's the same open world design we are getting for years now.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever they do, I hope they do their own version of the game. The lore is there for them to reboot as they see fit.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why hot? Everything they have made has been fantastic.

I mean this is true, but I wouldn't set my expectations too high either. Forza Horizon is a really different game, aside the open world setting not a lot translates.

I wouldn't have high hopes for Polyphony digital making the next Demon's Souls either. Not to say they couldn't do a good job, but I think setting your expectations in the sky is just likely to leave you feeling let down.

Whatever they do with Fable, it'll probably be decent because the previous Fable games (in my opinion) have been a bit naff. So It'll be good to see the IP return, and hopefully it's fun.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
HZD gameplay loop is literally "Ubisoft open world design" as its core.

It's the same open world design we are getting for years now.
Sure
I specifically mentioned Horizon because that seems to be what influenced Xbox/Playground to reboot Fable. It also makes sense. This new team has never made a game together. I doubt they're going to attempt to redefine the genre with their first game.