• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

Since 2012, we have had the incredible opportunity to collaborate with some of the most talented developers in our industry, to create unique, beloved IP, and cherished original games. We've created and shipped multiple titles on a range of platforms to millions of players worldwide, and we are incredibly proud of the work our teams have accomplished along the way. During this time we have taken significant risks to grow our studio, we've dared to dream big, and we've worked hard to pursue these amazing opportunities together with our friends.

Continued changes in the global video game marketplace require Playful to evolve its approach to the development and production of our current and future projects. The studio will be pivoting to a more streamlined production model based on distributed game development and dynamic, project-based teams.

As part of this transition in our operating model, we have made the incredibly difficult decision to significantly reduce our full-time staff, effective today. We are truly heartbroken to be parting ways with many of our friends and colleagues. These are people who have poured their hearts into every game Playful has created, who have supported us and each other every step of the way, and have truly made this studio what it is today. We will be working closely with each person affected by this transition to help them move forward.

Sincerely,

Paul Bettner & Katy Drake Bettner

Wishing the best to all of those affected by the layoffs

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it was clear by the lack of updates to Creativerse last year, and the marketing of the release of Lucky's Tale on Switch as almost a new game (which seemed desperate)...the writing was on the wall.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Shame. Super Lucky's Tale was actually a good game. Hopefully everyone who lost their job will land on their feet and that the studio will find success with future projects.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I wish the best for all those who were laid off.

I played Lucky's Tale on Xbox when it release, it was pretty meh. Apparently the Switch version was way better? At least that's what I heard. I'll give it a shot if it goes on sale.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Indie game dev is tough especially when it's hard to gain traction on making hit games that resonate with people. Untitled Goose Game and Enter The Gungeon being prime examples. It sounds like New Super Lucky's Tale didn't sell as well as they'd hope among other factors.

I'm saddened by the news and hope the laid-off talent lands on their feet. As for Playful Studios, here's hoping they stick around somehow.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Star Child going radio silent for over a year was a bad sign. Their games are good, too bad they haven't sold better.

Best of luck to all who lost their jobs.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
A shame. I feel like there aren't a lot of developers that make decently sized 3D platformers for younger ages.. oh well. Hope they'll be able to continue working on those kind of games.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was clear by the lack of updates to Creativerse last year, and the marketing of the release of Lucky's Tale on Switch as almost a new game (which seemed desperate)...the writing was on the wall.

I wouldn't call it desperate. They made a lot of changes and it reviewed much better than the Xbox version. I just finished it a couple weeks ago and thought it was great.

I wish the best to those affected!

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't call it desperate. They made a lot of changes and it reviewed much better than the Xbox version. I just finished it a couple weeks ago and thought it was great.

I wish the best to those affected!
But you are missing the point...it had nothing to do with the quality of the game. The marketing and even the title of the game (NEW Super Lucky Tale) was very questionable and reeked of trying to get Switch owners to believe this was something other than a two year old game with improvements.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sad news. I guess this explains the return of that one creative director to Retro. He must have seen the writing on the wall.

Hopefully everyone lands on their feet.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This really saddens me. Super Lucky's Tale was the best game they've put out to date and by FAR the best version of Lucky's Tale. I'd have loved to be able to see a full-fledged sequel to the game with even more polish and content.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I guess this debunks any rumors of them doing Banjo. A shame. I hope the employees find new homes and wish the best for remaining devs.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
But you are missing the point...it had nothing to do with the quality of the game. The marketing and even the title of the game (NEW Super Lucky Tale) was very questionable and reeked of trying to get Switch owners to believe this was something other than a two year old game with improvements.

I didn't miss your point. I disagreed with it. There were some major improvements. I don't think they were trying to trick anyone.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019

The title of the game wasn't questionable. It was a new version Super Lucky's Tale. They marketed it as such, and the people who played both seem to agree that the differences are significant. I don't think they were trying to mislead anyone with it.

Either way, that's a shame, hopefully they're able to bounce back from this. I also hope "working with those affected" is more than PR speak.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sad news. Super Lucky's Tale wasn't exactly mindblowing but it was a charming platformer with quite fun gameplay, that mixed 3D stages with sidescrollers nicely (a bit like an expanded Crash Bandicoot game). With more visibility they would have done well.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The title of the game wasn't questionable. It was a new version Super Lucky's Tale. They marketed it as such, and the people who played both seem to agree that the differences are significant. I don't think they were trying to mislead anyone with it.

They even put out a before-after video, not something you'd do if you were trying to mislead people.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Super Luckys Tale was awesome and it was a shame the way it was treated just because it launched near Mario Odyssey

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've only tried the demo of Super Lucky's Tale so far, but I was floored by it. (I need to fix that next opportunity I have.) This is such a shame.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did they make anything else? I tried Super Luckys Tale but found it really generic. A bummer for the people losing their job, but as far as i could see theyre output wasn't all that great so doesn't surprise me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely adored playing through Lucky's Tale at the launch of the Oculus Rift. Super charming game and it must've been fun to be such an important part of that launch.

Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I agree, plus I also think the whole controversy about Oculus and Luckey didn't do them any favors, even if Palmer's got nothing to do with SLT at all (?), Regarding perception of the first game. This might just be a personal feeling though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So was Monolith Soft in Japan. Never should've bought them since Nintendo is in Japan already.
Building costs and how the studios are used are pretty damn different in two different countries. Hell, Monolith Soft is expanding to multiple buildings because of lack of space; I highly doubt they can just move 100+ people into the Nintendo Kyoto building willy nilly. Space is a lot less of a premium in places like Texas

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. I really wanted to try Super Lucky's Tale and i had the impression that they had big plans for it, including releasing it on other platforms (which was hinted at by the developer). I wouldn't have hesitated to buy if it came to PS4 but i guess that will not happen now...

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. I really wanted to try Super Lucky's Tale and i had the impression that they had big plans for it, including releasing it on other platforms (which was hinted at by the developer). I wouldn't have hesitated to buy if it came to PS4 but i guess that will not happen now...
They aren't closing up shop. If anything, ports are more likely now, as such a project would be more manageable for a small team.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Really a shame to hear this and hopefully those laid off find work soon.

I think they made a huge mistake releasing the game as an Xbox One timed exclusive as it has a limited audience for this kind of game and when it did come out on switch, which is a perfect fit, it came with the baggage of mediocre reviews and being a flop for Microsofts system.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Like DQXI, I think they made a mistake of makign the deifnitive version of the game not only an inferior hardware, but on a totally different console without any chance of upgrading to the customers of the original versions.

Not at all rewarding for the people who supprted the devs in the first place.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like DQXI, I think they made a mistake of makign the deifnitive version of the game not only an inferior hardware, but on a totally different console without any chance of upgrading to the customers of the original versions.

Not at all rewarding for the people who supprted the devs in the first place.
unlike DQ11, however, is there even enough of an audience for that to matter? Xbox isn't home to platformer fans and hasn't made inroads in decades. this situation wouldn't change if SLT was on Xbox. hell, it might not change if it was on PS4 or PC (less so PC)

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I played the first on Oculus years ago and thought it was alright. I figured these games released on consoles were VR games but without the VR. Kind of like playing Astro Bot without VR. Not fun.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll get confirmation on the status of Star Child. With the unfortunate reduction in staff, they're going to have to focus their priorities and it may not be on a game that seems like it might have hit some major snags in development.