• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Using your own tweet in the OP, yikesboyardee
"That's a good point me, I'm glad I asked that question."

On the note of Fashion:

4a8.png

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I didn't play Sun and Moon but a lot of expectations don't seem to be in line with what was available in those games:

custom.jpg

Did not ask if you were a boy or girl, just to pick the picture.

https://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/customisation.shtml

9 possible hair colors, 6 men's hairstyles, 22 female hairstyles, good amount of accessories, and tons of different textures/colors for the clothing (but not a lot of physically unique clothing).

EDIT: I forgot there's an even newer Ultra Sun/Moon lol

looks good to me, i will be picking a little brown girl - will be cool for my daughter to have that kind of rep in this game

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I hope there are full-length pants for the female trainer since I believe Sun/Moon had capris as the longest option. Let me wear pants in the snowy areas!

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there are full-length pants for the female trainer since I believe Sun/Moon had capris as the longest option. Let me wear pants in the snowy areas!

Alola's clothing options were all tropical vacation-wear. X/Y had way more full length/sensible clothing options.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even use my real first name (Jody) in Pokemon games because gasp, part of my name is also part of a swear word on Spanish! I can't see gf doing anything to risk a single molecule of possible controversy. They're a backwards ass company that way.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It'd be nice if they used "choose your style" rather than "are you a boy or a girl?", ala PoGo, but I'm not holding my breath...

Hopefully, at the very least, they'll let me wear a Che Guevara-style Professor Oak t-shirt again.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
It'd be nice if they used "choose your style" rather than "are you a boy or a girl?", ala PoGo, but I'm not holding my breath...

Hopefully, at the very least, they'll let me wear a Che Guevara-style Professor Oak t-shirt again.

They haven't asked for the player's gender since the DS games.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

they dropped that aftet X/Y. now they just use a varation of "show us how you look"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Sun and Moon made the right choice by not asking "Are you a Boy or a Girl" and just allowing you to choose one of the avatars. I have no problems with them sticking with that idea.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
All I know is, they need to raise the male customization options up to snuff, even if it's just by virtue of there being more neutral options. It wasn't as bad in XY because the clothes were more stylish, but the SM/USUM male trainer is straight up a bum, on top of having nowhere close to as many options as the female trainer. Also, please, let's get some afros going. You can't not let me have a fro AND have me looking like a buster. I could just make a girl and not go through the heartache

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO at the girl not wearing pants in spite of the winter setting and everything else she's wearing. And she's pigeon-toed. It's the second coming of Platinum's Dawn.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, TPCi needs to just let characters where all clothes and hairstyles regardless of which default they choose at the start of the game.

It's Japan so I don't expect any flexibility regarding pronouns nor do I expect it to give either chosen gender a freedom of clothing choice, though it's a little more likely than the former.
You don't expect pronoun fluidity from Japan? I think you might wanna do some research there, my guy.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Pokémon Uranium does it right with gender. They have a third, ambiguous option to choose from.
I just hope you can also customize your trainer's skin color too.

LMAO at the girl not wearing pants in spite of the winter setting and everything else she's wearing. And she's pigeon-toed. It's the second coming of Platinum's Dawn.
It feels like Japanese law that girls aren't allowed to wear pants unless A: they're short or B: you show enough skin in another area to compensate.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't expect pronoun fluidity from Japan? I think you might wanna do some research there, my guy.
Exactly, Japanese is insanely flexible as a language in terms of gender. You can have an entire novel written from start to finish without ever revealing the gender of the protagonist. And there is entirely optional ways to speak feminine or masculine while being the opposite gender. It is really Western translations that have pronoun issues.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Pokémon Uranium does it right with gender. They have a third, ambiguous option to choose from.
I just hope you can also customize your trainer's skin color too.

It feels like Japanese law that girls aren't allowed to wear pants unless A: they're short or B: you show enough skin in another area to compensate.

What was the last pokemon game you played?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
They let you customize your appearance some in Sun and Moon. I personally don't care if the options are added to, but know some do. I'm fine with a generic male trainer

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Female Trainer: Dresses! Cute purses! Make-up! Change your hairstyle! You can go long, or short, shape your bangs the way you like! Here's some flowers for extra cuteness!

Male trainer: Uhhh...here's some pants, and uh, some shirts.

And then they had the mangnificent idea of locking colors behind different game versions. Literal homophobia.

Oct 29, 2017
Willing to bet cold hard cash that the female trainer gets at least twice as many clothing options as the male trainer... yet again...

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to delete my 30 hour Y Save because I couldn't deal with the male avatar's clothes "choices". It was worth it, there are SO MANY (good) clothes for the girl avatar. Honestly clothes and accessories should be useable regardless of avatar chosen.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
How does the game deal with pronouns for the player?

Pokemon games almost never use pronouns, they straight up 99% of the time refer to the player by the given name.

So instead of "give it to her" or "he should be arriving soon" it's always like "Give it to [PLAYER]" or "[PLAYER] should be arriving soon".

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
The "pick a character who happens to match you" idea is a thing a lot of Nintendo games have been doing lately (I know Pokemon is a pokemon company/game freak thing, but you know what I mean), like Fire Emblem three houses and of course other recent pokemon games, and it's a subtle but very appreciated thing. Animal Crossing is still kind of weirdly ahead of the game in regards to clothing options (LET ME WEAR A DRESS IF I WANT TO GAMEFREAK), but there's definitely a push somewhere within Nintendo for progress in this regard.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like how the skin colors just look like varying degrees of a tan, which isn't help by the lack of "ethnic" hair styles.

I don't play the games, but my son does and likes to create characters that look like him, but in Pokemon he tends to just make something he thinks looks cool because he can't even get close.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they finally just make all the clothing gender-neutral, though I'm not going to get my hopes up.

All those extra options for the female trainer in X/Y/S/M and still 90% of the things I actually wanted to wear were male-only. I just want to have my character look "cool" instead of "~cute, tee-hee~", why is that so much to ask?

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
LGBQT people make up less than 1% of the overall population. It'd be nice but you can't realistically expect every game to represent that crowd.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
It's Japan so I don't expect any flexibility regarding pronouns nor do I expect it to give either chosen gender a freedom of clothing choice, though it's a little more likely than the former.

In S&M they ask you "what is your picture" or something instead of gender and the text mostly stays away from he/she.

I imagine they'll do the same for this game.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Except they do that in S&M by asking you to pick a picture.

In LGP&E they also have different way of asking.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Hopefully they'll just stick with the "What do you look like" approach as opposed to focussing on gender (there's just no need to make the differentiation). But if you'd like freely accessible clothing, I don't see it happening. It's not too much to ask for, but given the work we live in, it may be too much to hope for.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Id like to be able to change the skin color like in pokemon go. I don't really care about clothes unless they have stats or abilities on them.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
LGBQT people make up less than 1% of the overall population. It'd be nice but you can't realistically expect every game to represent that crowd.

This is blatantly untrue in a few different ways, so I'm gonna break this down.
  1. I don't know where you mean by the overall population, but assuming you mean America, according to wikipedia:
    The Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law, a sexual orientation law think tank, released a study in April 2011[86] estimating based on its research that 1.7 percent of American adults identify as gay or lesbian, while another 1.8 percent identify as bisexual. Drawing on information from four recent national and two state-level population-based surveys, the analyses suggest that there are more than 8 million adults in the US who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual, comprising 3.5% of the adult population. Of men, 2.2% identify as gay and an additional 1.4% as bisexual. Of women, 1.1% identify as lesbian and an additional 2.2% as bisexual.
    This obviously doesn't include trans individuals/other people outside the gender binary in some way, and also it's still difficult to get truly accurate figures when the unknown "how many people are closeted at the time of the study" is at play. Which you might say "Oh how many people could that possibly be", but other countries have notably higher figures than America. Is America just not very queer for some reason? Or is it that there are a lot of places where you wouldn't want that knowledge public?
    If you mean the world population, obviously people are going to be VERY closeted in countries where their lives are at risk. It's just impossible at this point to estimate how many LGBTQ+ people there are there.
  2. In this specific instance, it's not about representation per say. It's about not excluding people. Objectively, only using they pronouns is less work on the writers and programmers, than going out of their way to gender the protagonists. It's less words, and less variables to worry about.
    The clothing is admittedly more work when you think about modelling them on both protagonists, but, to turn it around let's say they wanted to pad out the clothing lineup for both characters. At least BASING clothes on clothes already available for the other option is probably less work than outright making new ones. And tbh, the male clothing lineup leaves a lot to be desired anyway. It's not a bad idea.

Lyon N. Laap

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, OP isn't exactly asking for representation. They, and others, are just wondering if customization options will be more flexible thus allowing for a greater sense of self-identification with their custom avatars.

There's a lot that can be done here. Gender-neutral clothing options (all clothing would be best), increased options across the board (especially for male trainers), greater diversification of those options (see posters in this thread regarding hair options for black characters). Pokemon is doing some things right, such as not relying on possibly unhelpful pronouns and moving away from gender binary identification at character creation. But it could do more.

These are all things I'm hoping to see in the customization options, but I'm not really holding my breath.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

2064 had multiple pronouns including custom ones you could set for your character. Pokemon has significantly more money put into it and your character's gender isn't a focus in the story like say Persona 5 where it'd take significant work to accommodate a female MC.

It isn't exactly an unreasonable request.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
This. We need way more options for both characters. For some reason they got rid of tights & leggings in SM. I hope they really consider offering a wide variety of clothes this time!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pronoun conondrum would be easily solved if, after you chose your portrait, the game asks you if you're a boy or a girl. So regardless of what you chose as your avatar (the more masculine or feminine versions) you still get to choose the gender, right?

Problem solved. This one's for free, Game Freak!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sun and Moon made the right choice by not asking "Are you a Boy or a Girl" and just allowing you to choose one of the avatars. I have no problems with them sticking with that idea.
Wouldn't it be better for the game to ask that after you choose how you look? So you can choose, say, the more masculine avatar and get to say you're a girl and the game will use female pronouns! Problem solved!