• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Atari VCS titles were stripped-down versions of popular arcade hits - or titles done in that same style (like Yars' Revenge). So naturally a console full of primitive score attack titles is going to be hard to go back to now even for those who were there. But the alternatives at the time were either dedicated Pong consoles or walking over to an arcade and paying 25¢ for 3 lives on an arcade cabinet. So of course having an Atari at home was a pretty big deal despite its limitations. Considering the console itself was optimized for Pong and had a paltry 128 bytes(!) of RAM to work with, I'm actually impressed how much developers managed to squeeze out of it over its lifespan.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Adventure was good. Unlike most Atari 2600 games, it had an actual ending and could take an hour or more to finish if you were still figuring it out. It's probably the only 2600 game I would play for more than 5 minutes today.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
At the time Atari was great! I think it's hard to really appreciate the games of today without first being exposed to Atari 2600 and NES.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I feel the same way about modern gaming. Dull, dull, dull. I don't have enough years left in my life to sit through their drivel.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
And wow i feel sorry for my parents if games like Asteroids, Frogger and Pitfall were all they had to look forward to. Bought the Atari Flashback 9 Gold for my mother on Christmas and the games are interesting for like a minute, but i lost interest quickly. The SNES/Genesis really was a life saver for console gaming.

Pitfall was awesome tho lol.

I also loved the boxing game, a formula 1 game was also very cool, Defender!

And a plane game where you have to charge fuel while advancing.

Dec 2, 2017
Kids that got the 2600 in the era of Nintendo/Sega consoles understandably usually weren't very happy about it. No one wants to be multiple generations behind even if there are some good games for it. I felt bad for one neighbour playing Rampage and Double Dragon on 2600 while everyone else had SMS or NES. As much as I love the 2600, some games should never have been attempted on it.
My best friend had an Amiga so the Genesis wasn't even my biggest source of envy :/

The thing with the Atari stuff is it would always have this epic painting on the cover, but the game itself would usually just be a single screen with title screen or intro, no music and no discernible story happening. I had a loose cart of Star Raiders which was easily the most impressive thing I ever saw on it, but with no instructions and no internet (okay, I guess Amiga kid had access to BBS) there was no way to figure out what to do in it.

There were things like Warlords that were still fun with friends, but yeah, pre-NES stuff just feels prehistoric to me. That said, I'm thankful for the purity of the experience. Reading comments of others online I feel like it gives me an appreciation of the core of what a game is that a lot of people don't have. When obnoxious trends in games media came along like things getting poor reviews for not being polygonal or online or open world I just thought they had no idea what they were really talking about. After years of that nonsense it's pretty funny to see it all come full circle with mobile gaming. Flappy Bird could have easily been released in 1977.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
How dare you. River raid still holds up perfectly. So does Bobby is going home.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The actual arcade versions of the games listed in the OP are still great games to this day. The 2600 just couldn't keep up. Big part of why arcades were a big deal even when consoles existed.

Yar's Revenge is probably the only 2600 game worth playing today. Maybe River Raid. And Adventure is interesting from a historical perspective.

Oh, and Pong type games are all pretty fun but even there, some of the more complex ones like Breakout are much better elsewhere.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Nice stealth "Hey ERA, how old are you?" thread, OP.

The same way that people look back at the first generation of iPhones (you needed to buy a flashlight app? lol), the first generation of automobiles, the first generation of anything usually looks terrible after several generations.

Younger folks on here might not realize how few computers were out in the world in the mid 80s. The only way to play video games was either an arcade, or your local pizza place (that had one, maybeeeee two games). The fact that you could play games, even primitive ones at home was mindblowing at the time. Some of the games went for $30 at the time, roughly the equivalent of $70 today - and those games sold like crazy until the crash.

Then there's technical limitations - OP's avatar image is about 41kB, basically nothing by today's standards. But the size of the 2600 cartridges started at 2kB, eventually going up to 8kB. So you could fit 5 copies of the most advanced 2600 cartridge in OP's avatar. Checking "Racing the Beam" sometime if you ever want a taste of the tight hardware restrictions these games were made under.

That being said, I'd agree that the vast majority of 2600 games don't really hold up. A few classics still are fun - Combat, Yar's Revenge, Pitfall, Solaris, River Raid, and a few others. My secret shame was that I was really good at the E.T. game. During the crash, my relatives gave me cheap 2600 games during the holidays, so I had a shit ton of terrible games. The Indiana Jones games (Raiders of the Lost Ark) was surprisingly deep but obtuse.

People clearly like video games, as the market has shown. The ability to play them at home was the draw, not the quality of the games.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
That's okay OP. You just don't have the context for how revolutionary 2600 was at the time.

Trust me, minds were blown back then.

And if you were lucky enough to be around to see the medium from its inception, you get an intrinsic appreciation for every moment going forward as you can easily look back to see how far we've come.

I just mentioned the other day how people bagging on modern games is always good for a laugh. "This or that (modern game) looks like absolute garbage." Sure thing, fam. Guess you weren't there for vintage gaming, a time when games truly did look crude by today's standards, but offered limitless joy back in the day nonetheless.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
2600 Battlezone was more fun than the arcade one. Defender too. Fight me.
True words, no fight needed. 2600 Defender is great.

2600 cart art is boss too. Highly recommend this book to Atari fans.

Art of Atari https://www.amazon.com/dp/1524101036/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_01zbEbFWFHEN5
True and 2600 Battlezone was an amazing technical feat
I am honestly befuddled at how it can be said that Atari 2600 Defender is "great" and "more fun than the arcade one." Your ship disappears every time you shoot, pretty much making you invulnerable as long as you spam the fire button. You have to move your ship behind the HUD or city to use a smart bomb or hyperspace, effectively negating the very purpose of those last-second options.

Maybe it was a technical marvel to get it running on the 2600, but it sucks compared to the arcade.

2600 Battlezone is kinda fun though,. But again, it doesn't touch the arcade version, with its dual-stick controls and vector graphics.

(Yes, box/cart art is ace. That book is cool.)

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I will say the Atari boxart is badass compared to the shit we get today. They kinda had to make it look as cool as possible to get people to buy your games since the internet wasn't a thing.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I played Atari games as a kid. It was great - this was the era of arcade games, so Atari games were just like the arcades but in the home. Meaning they were designed for quick experiences of a few minutes at a time, with infinite replayability. You didn't play hours of Frogger or Asteroids in one session, you played like 15 minutes each trying to get the highest score or play the longest, then either went to do other things or played another game. And the games weren't super expensive, most games were $30 I think (though by the time I was buying games myself they were like $1 to $5 at garage sales).

My favorite games *were* the ones you could actually play through and beat - games like Adventure, Pitfall II, Solaris, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly befuddled at how it can be said that Atari 2600 Defender is "great" and "more fun than the arcade one." Your ship disappears every time you shoot, pretty much making you invulnerable as long as you spam the fire button. You have to move your ship behind the HUD or city to use a smart bomb or hyperspace, effectively negating the very purpose of those last-second options.

Maybe it was a technical marvel to get it running on the 2600, but it sucks compared to the arcade.

2600 Battlezone is kinda fun though,. But again, it doesn't touch the arcade version, with its dual-stick controls and vector graphics.

Arcade Defender didn't even have a joystick. It had an array of buttons making control unreasonably difficult. It was made that way, to pull in more quarters as you faced down its impossible challenge. 2600 Defender at least got you some play time. Spamming the fire button would only serve you for so long as all your humans would get kidnapped and then it was all mutants.

2600 Battlezone was a fast-pased 3D shooter full of color and replayability that again granted extensive play time as it slowly got harder and harder. The single joystick control method wasn't faithful to the arcade, but, like with your legit points about Defender Smart Bombs and Hyperspace, they did what they could with the controls they had. 2600 Battlezone was fair to the player, and didn't let you get shot in the back.

Arcade Battlezone was a fiddly game that branched into actual military simulation because of the unique tread-based controls. But in arcade that often translated into getting stuck on literally geometry, like a pyramid in the middle of the battleground, while enemies shot you in the back while you tried to manuever. Again, difficulty ramped so quickly in arcade Battlezone that you got little value for your quarter.

I also preferred 2600 Berzerk. ;)

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Some personal favorites I have fond memories of:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Demon Attack
Atlantis
Cosmic Ark - Imagic made some great stuff!
Vanguard - really solid arcade conversion
Moon Patrol
Star Raiders - great space combat sim for its time, and the keypad was awesome
Haunted House
Adventure
H.E.R.O. - I really lucked out as a kid with this blind pick
Chopper Command - enjoyed this more than Defender
Pitfall
Ms. Pac-Man - SOOO much better than Pac-Man
Warlords
Missile Command
Combat
Yar's Revenge - Wish I still had the comic book that explained the conflict

Man, that's more than I thought. lol

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The Atari 2600 is the GOAT when it comes to pushing the technical limits of the console. People 'ooh' and 'aah' over the crazy stuff programmers were able to pull off on the NES/SNES/Genesis, but people don't realize that the 2600 was originally designed to play PONG and a few other basic games. Atari never expected the system to stay on the market as long as it did, and programmers found amazing workarounds to squeeze amazing graphics and gameplay out of an extremely simple machine.

Battlezone, for example, is running on a system intended for PONG:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Aestroids and Centipede are still terrific games, IMO.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few people mentioned H.E.R.O.. That game hasn't really aged at all (and I might like the 2600 version more than some of the graphically enhanced ports I played first). More people should try it. It's a great example of a game built for that hardware and not downported from an arcade or computer game.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The amazing thing about the Atari was how much they managed to really push the console. I mean, the console was designed to play two types of games: Tank and Pong, and that's really it. I mean, the console hardware supports a blank background color, single-color background "walls", two player sprites, two "missile" sprites, and a ball sprite (each gets its own color), and that's it. But developers figured out all sorts of crazy tricks to push it to the max, and it required perfect timing - for example, you could reuse a sprite multiple times per screen as long as it wasn't on the same scanline, but to change its color required taking the time to write to the color registers while it was drawing the screen, which took time away from doing anything else.

And even without tricks it was a crazy hard thing to program - you didn't just tell it "Draw the ball sprite at pixel coordinates (12,15)", you had to wait until it was drawing the 15th scanline, then delay until it was about to draw the 12th pixel, and then tell it to display the sprite (and you had to know how long it would take for the Atari to execute your command, or your sprite would be a pixel or two off).

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
And wow i feel sorry for my parents if games like Asteroids, Frogger and Pitfall were all they had to look forward to. Bought the Atari Flashback 9 Gold for my mother on Christmas and the games are interesting for like a minute, but i lost interest quickly. The SNES/Genesis really was a life saver for console gaming.

Ehm... this does not make a lot of sense.

Apart from the fact that a lot of Atari 2600 conversions were quite BAD (see Pac Man...), there were a lot of good games on the console and the concept of "depth" was a lot different back then.

Would you play the same game again and again today just to get a better score? It was common (and engaging) back then.

Also, before the 16 bit platforms there were lots of awesome 8 bit platforms to play on. You are missing an important (and fun) piece of videogame history here.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
I used to play Atari when visiting my cousin. Not sure how it holds up today but we played the shit out of Moon Patrol

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
It was all about Warlords

giphy.gif

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I owned an Atari 2600 and enjoyed it at that time, but when the NES came out completely changed console gaming.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Atari VCS Empire Strikes Back so much as a kid. Killing an AT-AT with a precise hit to a flashing weakspot always felt amazing. I still play it every so often on my retrogaming rig. Check it out if you don't know it. Parallax scrolling!

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I get your sentiment, but you're ignoring the revolution that the 2600 and other systems of the time were. Many of the games don't hold up today (Adventure does), but for the time? Hell yeah.

Your post is like me saying "wow, I feel sorry for my grandparents that all they had to look forwards at the movies was Metropolis and Nosferatu."

Dec 6, 2019
Poor wording. I meant that today's games have exponentially more in common with SMB than they do Pong, Ms. Pac-Man, Missile Command, or Adventure.

Or maybe it's like saying that today's feature films share more in common with The Wizard of Oz than they do with A Trip to the Moon.

Know what I'm trying to (poorly) say?
*crickets*

Maybe I'm choosing the wrong audience.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Poor wording. I meant that today's games have exponentially more in common with SMB than they do Pong, Ms. Pac-Man, Missile Command, or Adventure.

Or maybe it's like saying that today's feature films share more in common with The Wizard of Oz than they do with A Trip to the Moon.

Know what I'm trying to (poorly) say?
*crickets*

Maybe I'm choosing the wrong audience.
Even then, it would be misleading to credit the start of that to SMB given that SMB itself is derivative of older games like Pac-Land. It's more of a continuum of progress than any leap by a single game or system.

Computer gaming pre-SMB had much more in common with modern gaming than 1985 NES gaming. There were plenty of adventure games and RPGs with story elements and save functions prior to that stuff being prevalent on consoles.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Even then, it would be misleading to credit the start of that to SMB given that SMB itself is derivative of older games like Pac-Land. It's more of a continuum of progress than any leap by a single game or system.

Computer gaming pre-SMB had much more in common with modern gaming than 1985 NES gaming. There were plenty of adventure games and RPGs with story elements and save functions prior to that stuff being prevalent on consoles.
Yeah I'm struggling with a way to verbalize it. SMB didn't really introduce any specific new idea or mechanic, but that it raised the bar in so many different ways as to render virtually everything (especially the 2600) as obsolete in some manner?

I didn't realize that would be such a hot take. Probably just my poor wording. And I say all that as someone who owned a 2600, played through Ultima, and put a decent amount of time into the likes of Spy Hunter and QBert in the last few years.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

People say a good game is always good, but this proves that's bullshit.
Games age and while this was my childhood, barely any of it is worth playing.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People say a good game is always good, but this proves that's bullshit.
Games age and while this was my childhood, barely any of it is worth playing.
It only proves some people don't like them, not that all of them have universally aged poorly. Plenty of people playing Frogger decades late love the game while others don't. There are games from my childhood I don't play anymore but there are also plenty of early '80s games I missed out on that I ended up loving many years after they came out.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
2600 Battlezone was more fun than the arcade one. Defender too. Fight me.

Never played Atari Battlezone, but Defender, while fun wasn't as fast or as challenging as the arcade version. Pretty sure it also lacked the enemy variety, but it's been a long time.
Given the choice I'd always go Arcade over Atari.

edit: On a side note River Raid remains the greatest Activision release on Atari, ever. Shits all over Pitfall.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas

(Yes, box/cart art is ace. That book is cool.)
In fairness probably I am thinking of how 2600 defender simplified the controls allowing more accessible play but yes arcade defender is elite shit