• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
So...? They did something good before, so they can do no wrong now? Is that how it works? And who are you implying the bad guy? Playdate the event?

This thread is something else. Some users defending this company like they were stockholders is a sight to behold...

Personally, hard pass on their "dumb thing". They lost all good will in my eyes.

Yea, it's almost like someone has a different opinion on the matter than you do. Such a sight to behold.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I find it funny how people defending this are simply using extremes, as if the only scenarios were "send awkward email and don't sue or don't send shit and sue" when in actuality the thing people have a problem with is the terribly patronizing and awkward email, nothing else. Had they sent a more professional one to try to discuss this matter would've generated a looooooooot less outrage, guaranteed. But yeah, keep parroting it was either the email or suing.
If it was all about just an awkward email why bother to post it to the whole world via social media and make a large deal out of it, a year after the fact?

You start your post off with "I find it funny how people defending this" like it's laughable that people would defend such a thing, but then go on to say it's totally nothing and just an awkward email that people have an issue with. If it was just an awkward email and nothing else, what's the big deal? Awkward emails get sent in the millions every single day.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If it was all about just an awkward email why bother to post it to the whole world via social media and make a large deal out of it, a year after the fact?

You start your post off with "I find it funny how people defending this" like it's laughable that people would defend such a thing, but then go on to say it's totally nothing and just an awkward email that people have an issue with.
I'm talking about people unrelated to those companies, such as people in this thread. Why would I talk about the actual individuals involved in this whole mess? And yes, read the thread and the one common thing in most of the posts if the horribly awkward and patronizing attempt at an email, which sounds exactly like a villain does when trying to be condescending.

Oct 28, 2017
This is a definite learning experience for Cabel and Panic. If you understand the type of person Cabel is, that email makes sense in that context; it has no threatening tone and is a bit self-deprecating. That's Cabel. But obviously it's easy to read that in a different tone, which I think is what happened here. There was a better way to approach this. Sounds to me like Cabel/Panic know this and I would be surprised if a mistake like this happened again.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
On your second point, I get people have talked about the tone of that email ad nauseum now, but it is an overstatement to say any demands were made. They asked them to change their name a year ago, they offered compensation, and after the fact they've repeatedly stated they are perfectly fine with both events having the same name.
I didn't even read it as saying they asked them to change their name at all. The email said they had a product coming out with the same name as the small event, and as that product may overshadow the event, they suggested that the event might want to change its name just enough to differentiate it (for the event's sake, so people coming to the event didn't think it was related to the product and then get annoyed at the event when they found out otherwise). That's how I read it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
A few reasons.

A.) they think they can charge 150 bucks for something you can buy on aliexpress for a fraction of the price
B.) They are making a little console that will probably bomb, yet, here they are making demands of other events thinking they are hot shit

Wow... you didn't even get close to anything factual there...

People are officially acting far more shitty than that e-mail (especially given everything that followed it) deserves.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Edit: I mean, look at this god damn shit. "Got drunk and verbally abused his family." Are you serious?

nsZIojc.png

The email was patronizing and poorly written but god damn at this guy's reaction, comparing it to someone being drunk and verbally abusive? What the fuck...chill out.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
It's already a success based on pre-orders alone. This isn't a mass market device.

Comparing it to Aliexpress trash? OK.

Yeah, they made a mistake with the email, which they then quickly apologized for.

They (or whoever made the call/sent the email) only apologized after they got called out on the internet.
"sorry i got caught"

And yes, it does look worse than aliexpress trash, at least aliexpress trash looks cool

Eighthours

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I love the passive-aggressive subtext of the twitter exchanges between the people concerned.

'I understand that having these kinds of criticisms leveraged at your company and project are probably hard to take in, but I hope you can in turn understand they all come from a place of caring, and wanting to use this as an opportunity to learn and grow' = TOE-CURLING.

And in reply...

STOP LECTURING ME, YOU MASSIVE CONDESCENDING TWAT! *Walks away from keyboard, meditates for an hour, sits back down*
'I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned today, and how much we have to think about moving forward. And I appreciate you even just taking the time to write down all of these very important thoughts...'

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is a definite learning experience for Cabel and Panic. If you understand the type of person Cabel is, that email makes sense in that context; it has no threatening tone and is a bit self-deprecating. That's Cabel. But obviously it's easy to read that in a different tone, which I think is what happened here. There was a better way to approach this. Sounds to me like Cabel/Panic know this and I would be surprised if a mistake like this happened again.
Pretty much how I feel at this point. I am giving Cabel the benefit of the doubt because I've been following him and Panic for years and "bullying" is not something I'd ever describe them as. But also because Cabel is repeatedly owning up to it without hedging and saying what a stupid email that was.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how can you be so stupid? to sell such an overpriced device you need a lot of good will. I had been considering it but now I'll never buy it.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's it, should have got shouja boy instead.

But being serious, both those "companies" are trying to act too underground when they actually aren't. Maybe there is not a lot of money involved, but there is some, disputes like that are bound to happen, why they don't acknowledge and follow the protocol then?

It reminds me of the shtty show of tournament and teams of e-sports. Everyone justfying their incompetence because they are "too small and there is little money to be made".

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are no gradients on the internet. Everything is transcendentally amazing or garbage.

Yeah, Nathalie was totally within her rights to post the exchange if she thought it was underhanded, and Cabel was like, "Ugh, whoops, sorry. Never mind, do what you'd like. I'll do better next time."

And that's the whole story. But, yes, use this as a platform to rage at people or objects you don't like. This bullshit is why I limit myself to like 10 minutes of Twitter a day.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how prior art doesn't come into play here. This event has been publicly using its name since their first one in March of 2016, and the handheld people didn't file for their trademark until October of 2016, not to mention it hasn't even been granted yet. There's no case here.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They (or whoever made the call/sent the email) only apologized after they got called out on the internet.
"sorry i got caught"

And yes, it does look worse than aliexpress trash, at least aliexpress trash looks cool

at least aliexpress trash looks cool

http:///pzxd.png

My god. Now I've heard everything.

I don't understand how prior art doesn't come into play here. This event has been publicly using its name since their first one in March of 2016, and the handheld people didn't file for their trademark until October of 2016, not to mention it hasn't even been granted yet. There's no case here.

Which is fine, because there were no legal proceedings here.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
You know how Nintendo constantly goes after fangames, and everyone rushes in to say how Nintendo HAS to do this to protect their IP or theyll lose it? They're actually thinking of Trademarks, which you lose if you do not consistently fight over them.

Unlike Nintendo, PlayDate actually could lose their trademark

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I love ResetERA, but this kind of shit is us at our worst. People are blowing this out of proportion and being completely ridiculously petulant.

I mean, if this is a deal breaker, fair enough. However, the extent some people are going to is just completely at odds with reality. It wouldn't hurt to measure yourselves a little better and not dump pure vitriol on people who really don't deserve it. Not every situation requires pitchforks and torches.

None of the hyperbole (or misinformation) helps anything. It is just toxic behavior.

You know how Nintendo constantly goes after fangames, and everyone rushes in to say how Nintendo HAS to do this to protect their IP or theyll lose it? They're actually thinking of Trademarks, which you lose if you do not consistently fight over them.

Moreover, Nintendo doesn't fucking meekly approach and ask for a dialogue. They don't offer to compensate people for making a non-mandatory, mutually beneficial compromise. They fucking CRUSH people. They grind them up. Oh, and they have punched WAY further down in the past. Yet an awkward e-mail, that has been apologized for profusely, is apparently cause for mountains of vitriol and outrage.

People are completely out to lunch here.

Last edited:

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
We're people actually going to buy this thing anyway? Hey babes I'm going on the road now I'm gonna I'll call the office if you're still up for dinner tonight or if you're gonna I'll be home in a few hours I'll be there at the door and I get home and I get my stuff going on the way to my car and I get home and I will be there tomorrow morning and I can get it done and I get home and I will have a good day and I hope you're doing good I love it I hope you're doing good I love it haha xxxxxxxxx was the way to go home for dinner and then I'll come home soon I'll let you know when we're done I'll see if I wanna was a nice one and a half to a birthday dinner tonight at home I wanna is a great night love it haha xxxxxxxxx

Edit: I swear I didn't type this, what is this

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that bothered me about the email is that they never offered to tweak or change their own name. This could be really annoying FOR YOU so it would be so great and wonderful if YOU changed YOUR name to something so awesome and unique.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're people actually going to buy this thing anyway? Hey babes I'm going on the road now I'm gonna I'll call the office if you're still up for dinner tonight or if you're gonna I'll be home in a few hours I'll be there at the door and I get home and I get my stuff going on the way to my car and I get home and I will be there tomorrow morning and I can get it done and I get home and I will have a good day and I hope you're doing good I love it I hope you're doing good I love it haha xxxxxxxxx was the way to go home for dinner and then I'll come home soon I'll let you know when we're done I'll see if I wanna was a nice one and a half to a birthday dinner tonight at home I wanna is a great night love it haha xxxxxxxxx

Oh yeah?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Now this is next level shitposting. those look miles better than playdate

What is happening

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well this went from mildly interesting to shitshow quite fast. CBS can start sueing now for all I care.

Also, that excuse only went up _after_ the initial public post on Twitter, if I'm not mistaken, so a "aw they were just cute about it and it was a misunderstanding" is barely cutting it.

Last edited:

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that bothered me about the email is that they never offered to tweak or change their own name. This could be really annoying FOR YOU so it would be so great and wonderful if YOU changed YOUR name to something so awesome and unique.
I have no clue but I assume the trademark process for a product is more difficult than what you decide to call an event. It could be the same for all I know.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
My son was going to invite one of his friends from school over for a playdate soon, but now I guess I'll have to tell him we can't do that any more. :/

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

They'd already secured the trademark and been working with that name for years (and Cabel said the moulds were made), it feels a little unreasonable to expect anyone to contact someone else and 'offer' a name change for themselves, don't you think?

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
In the end this will do more harm to the device than if they just left the event alone in the first place, good job Panic.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Please go to the hospital. You are having a stroke.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Even I don't know why people are framing this as such a binary thing regarding Panic after this. You can take away from it what you wish, but to me it's bad but really not irredeemable.

I think this was a big mistake on their part, and am bothered by how people here continue to miss a lot of the context around this even though the article and followup tweet included it. But I'm am still interested in maybe buying one; I'm not saying they're evil or something. They fucked up and acknowledged it, that's reassuring.

I love ResetERA, but this kind of shit is us at our worst. People are blowing this out of proportion and being completely ridiculously petulant.

I mean, if this is a deal breaker, fair enough. However, the extent some people are going to is just completely at odds with reality. It wouldn't hurt to measure yourselves a little better and not dump pure vitriol on people who really don't deserve it. Not every situation requires pitchforks and torches.

None of the hyperbole (or misinformation) helps anything. It is just toxic behavior.

Moreover, Nintendo doesn't fucking meekly approach and ask for a dialogue. They don't offer to compensate people for making a non-mandatory, mutually beneficial compromise. They fucking CRUSH people. They grind them up. Oh, and they have punched WAY further down in the past. Yet an awkward e-mail, that has been apologized for profusely, is apparently cause for mountains of vitriol and outrage.

People are completely out to lunch here.

They have clarified their trademark is literally only for handheld game devices, so no, they could not lose their trademark by not going hard here. Supposedly the trademark mention was to be clear that they couldn't change their name.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Even I don't know why people are framing this as such a binary thing regarding Panic after this. You can take away from it what you wish, but to me it's bad but really not irredeemable.

I think this was a big mistake on their part, and am bothered by how people here continue to miss a lot of the context around this even though the article and followup tweet included it. But I'm am still interested in maybe buying one; I'm not saying they're evil or something. They fucked up and acknowledged it, that's reassuring.

They have clarified their trademark is literally only for handheld game devices, so no, they could not lose their trademark by not going hard here. Supposedly the trademark mention was to be clear that they couldn't change their name.

Fair enough. Though I wasn't actually under the impression this was them attempting to protect their trademark. I was just pointing out that Nintendo has been genuinely awful about this kind of thing in the past and received fairly mild criticism.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017

Why would they change their name for some tiny indie showcase no one knows about?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue but I assume the trademark process for a product is more difficult than what you decide to call an event. It could be the same for all I know.
They'd already secured the trademark and been working with that name for years (and Cabel said the moulds were made), it feels a little unreasonable to expect anyone to contact someone else and 'offer' a name change for themselves, don't you think?

It's such a huge pain in the ass and so unreasonable that they wouldn't do it themselves but would ask someone else to go through a renaming process for them? So brave.

Why would they change their name for some tiny indie showcase no one knows about?

Why would an indie showcase change their name for a tiny box with a handle that's not even out yet which nobody has heard of? I think it's just rude to expect someone else to do all the work to smooth out your life and frame it as this generous gift. Fix your own shit and if it's too much work for you to do then why would you try to fop it off on someone else?

They've apologized for the message now and it's pretty much over and done with but I think the Golden Rule always stands. Would Panic have liked a message like this from a larger business? I don't think so, so they shouldn't do other people like that.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
In summary: the email was bad, and it should never have been sent. Panic realise this now and have apologised. There's no argument to say "I think the email is okay" because the author of the email himself acknowledges that it has the problems that people see within it, and has apologised for it. This line of conversation doesn't really go anywhere now.

All that's left is to see how this all plays out from now on, to see if Panic can restore a bit of goodwill and sell their device, which still does look really cool.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
It's such a huge pain in the ass and so unreasonable that they wouldn't do it themselves but would ask someone else to go through a renaming process for them? So brave.

Why would an indie showcase change their name for a tiny box with a handle that's not even out yet which nobody has heard of? I think it's just rude to expect someone else to do all the work to smooth out your life and frame it as this generous gift. Fix your own shit and if it's too much work for you to do then why would you try to fop it off on someone else?

They've apologized for the message now and it's pretty much over and done with but I think the Golden Rule always stands. Would Panic have liked a message like this from a larger business? I don't think so, so they shouldn't do other people like that.

The showcase never was or was going to be a problem for them. It was a heads up that their console could create a headache for the event, not an attempt to fix something that would harm the console.They're not going to upend their creative process because of something as small as the playdate event.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
In summary: the email was bad, and it should never have been sent. Panic realise this now and have apologised. There's no argument to say "I think the email is okay" because the author of the email himself acknowledges that it has the problems that people see within it, and has apologised for it. This line of conversation doesn't really go anywhere now.

All that's left is to see how this all plays out from now on, to see if Panic can restore a bit of goodwill and sell their device, which still does look really cool.
This take is too rational, you should be calling for the Panic team to be publicly flogged and making pronouncements that you'll never support them in the future because they sent an awkward email.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This take is too rational, you should be calling for the Panic team to be publicly flogged and making pronouncements that you'll never support them in the future because they sent an awkward email.
Whats wild is you know some people are still going to read that post and demand to know why Toysthatkill wants Panic to be cancelled over such a kind email

bobliefeld

Jan 30, 2019

They'd already applied for the trademarks and had some Playdate branded parts in production by the time they knew about the Playdate event.

The trademark doesn't cover events and there was never any possibility of this escalating legally. I don't think the email implies that they sue the Playdate event or anything like that but the wording is so bizarre that I can understand why some people would think that.

The email was terrible but I think was sent with good intentions. They offer to compensate and to get the Playdate event involved somehow with their product.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The thing that bothers me about the whole discussion is how people are focusing solely on the content of the email. Something really important to Lawhead and to the other organizers of the event is the perceived attack on a grassroots community made by marginalized people and for marginalized people. Not only that, it's about the same subject (experimental games) Panic is supposedly trying to promote with their new handheld. Not only does the email seem to treat them as ignorant of what a trademark is, but it also does not try to open communications between the parties, as if this event, that has been going for 4 years now, is meaningless to Panic, even though it probably does more to help elevate experimental games and their creators (usually queer people and people from other minorities) than this handheld.

Edit: I swear I didn't type this, what is this

bobliefeld

Jan 30, 2019
The thing that bothers me about the whole discussion is how people are focusing solely on the content of the email. Something really important to Lawhead and to the other organizers of the event is the perceived attack on a grassroots community made by marginalized people and for marginalized people. Not only that, it's about the same subject (experimental games) Panic is supposedly trying to promote with their new handheld. Not only does the email seem to treat them as ignorant of what a trademark is, but it also does not try to open communications between the parties, as if this event, that has been going for 4 years now, is meaningless to Panic, even though it probably does more to help elevate experimental games and their creators (usually queer people and people from other minorities) than this handheld.

In the email he offered to get them involved somehow if they sign the NDA, "give them the full scoop"