• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Signed back up. Was a founder who didn't renew after my 3 month trial was over. I got a lot of use out of it when I had it (playing at the office, in hotels etc.) as a destiny 2 player. However, just wasn't worth the cost.

If they ever just sold destiny 2 outright as opposed to making it subscription locked, I'd think probably do that.

Edit: looks like they have a version of destiny you can buy outright now. I'll most likely do that once my free trial runs out.

I actually think stadia as a service is pretty remarkable. Unfortunately their execution / marketing / business model was piss poor.

Destiny 2 has standalone versions and the addons as separate buy options. Even had all of them on sale for everyone. (general deal, not pro only deal)

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I signed up, tested my connection and it said it was great, but when launching a game, Stadia warns me that my connection is not stable enough. Will try again tomorrow.

Curious what your setup is? (TV, laptop, phone / HDMI / Wifi or ethernet) I've had this issue when using an HDMI into TV but not otherwise.

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019
For people playing on MacOS you have to disable location in security system in order to not stutters. Like GeForce now.

Oct 26, 2017
Desert Land
So I clicked on the invite code option and even though bi don't have a code it asked me to download the app and I was able to sign straight in without ever giving a code and I also used PayPal as it asks you for a payment option for the 8.99 after the trial ends I did not buy any hardware.

Basically try the invite code option even if you have no code.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
This is a nice offer but I'm still not interested.

I feel like theyre still not doing anything remarkable. There's a bunch of free games offered all over the place online and I've heard no word of mouth or advertising about how the stadia specific features are useful or valuable.

Actually the only advertising and word of mouth I've seen has left a negative impression on me.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just try it even if you're not interested. Claim your free games. They will be back whenever your subscribing pro again in future

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Signed back up. Was a founder who didn't renew after my 3 month trial was over. I got a lot of use out of it when I had it (playing at the office, in hotels etc.) as a destiny 2 player. However, just wasn't worth the cost.

If they ever just sold destiny 2 outright as opposed to making it subscription locked, I'd think probably do that.

Edit: looks like they have a version of destiny you can buy outright now. I'll most likely do that once my free trial runs out.

I actually think stadia as a service is pretty remarkable. Unfortunately their execution / marketing / business model was piss poor.
I know you've been answered but they have, I ended up buying forsaken just for the ability to have destiny 2 on stadia without a subscription. It was 20 bucks at the time so they will go on sale occasionally.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It works, launched GRID, the image qulity is muddy. Have a 700Mbps connection too. I'll give it another go later !
Don't forget to set it to high quality mode - in the Stadia app, go to settings, Data usage & Performance, there you can set it to Best visual quality, Balanced, or Limited data usage. Best visual quality is only available in Stadia Pro; right now they are defaulting it to a lower setting to help with the world internet bandwidth.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Don't forget to set it to high quality mode - in the Stadia app, go to settings, Data usage & Performance, there you can set it to Best visual quality, Balanced, or Limited data usage. Best visual quality is only available in Stadia Pro; right now they are defaulting it to a lower setting to help with the world internet bandwidth.
Well, it was already on high. Not a real good way to promote the service but hey, free is free :)

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So I clicked on the invite code option and even though bi don't have a code it asked me to download the app and I was able to sign straight in without ever giving a code and I also used PayPal as it asks you for a payment option for the 8.99 after the trial ends I did not buy any hardware.

Basically try the invite code option even if you have no code.

you can also download the app on android on your phone/tablet and sign up there. It worked for me, and I got the idea from the other guy in this thread who did as well. Then you can just log in your stadia account on your desktop if you actually want to use it on (well, my phone isnt supported anyway) Pc as I did. It gave me the option for two free months Stadia Pro.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Loaded up Stadia on my phone and started Destiny 2. The input delay was extreme, and every couple seconds the screen looked like it was flashing to a lower resolution. It was not really close to what I'd call playable. Felt like playing underwater, or with severe deadzone issues. Had to do most of my aiming by walking around until someone was in my sights, as aiming was a mess. It was similar to how I find myself playing Doom '93 on Switch, with additional delay to every movement.

After about 5 minutes I closed it and loaded up Destiny 2 in xCloud. It ran well, although the resolution difference was clear right away. This was without it chunking up every couple seconds, though. Input felt fine, and I had no issues aiming. It was a better experience for me.

This is what I found interesting: after quitting xCloud, I loaded up Stadia again to see if I could get my character to come over. Zero issues that time. Game looked great, and controlled well. The input delay was still slightly noticeable, but not bad. I was able to aim normally, and the picture quality was better than xCloud.

Rough first impression, but I'm not going to uninstall the app just yet.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Will be a superb experience with how my internet is a little wonky during this crisis.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I simply can't understand people who say they aren't interested in even trying this for free. Feels like contrarian nonsense.

Oct 26, 2017
Desert Land
Seems you can cancel straight from the app and still play for the two months. I tried Destiny on my old laptop and it was fine only 1080p though as it's an old laptop.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it.

It seems like it would be a solid experience with a optimal connection. So of course this would be the time to open up access to it.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Just played a bit of Thumper and Destiny on my Pixel. Thumper is amazing, while I had a lot of stutter with Destiny. Probably my unstable wifi connection

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever expand this to work on phones other than Pixels?

This Week on Stadia: Play games on tens of millions of new phones

Stadia is about to play games on WAY more phones. Beginning February 20, you can play games on Stadia using a broad new selection of mobile devices. In addition to the Pixel family, Stadia will now support phones from Samsung, ASUS, and Razer. You’ll also soon be able to play on the brand new...

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently if you select "sign up with your invite code" you can actually skip the part where it wants you to input the code and move forward with an account creation and go forward? This was relayed to me by a friend, have not tried it yet myself.

I will try later this afternoon.

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
Does it work on an IPAD? If not I have no way to play for free :(

Sadly no. Google is apparently working on it but at the moment you either need a Chromecast Ultra, an Android Phone (one of the supported models for the best experience but most will work with a little tinkering), or any device that's capable of running full fledged Chrome/Canary (aka Windows/MacOS/Linux).

Can't wait for iOS support.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I'm looking forward to playing Steamworld Quest and Thumper

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently if you select "sign up with your invite code" you can actually skip the part where it wants you to input the code and move forward with an account creation and go forward? This was relayed to me by a friend, have not tried it yet myself.

I will try later this afternoon.
That's what I did.