• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
I'm not a hardcore RE fan, played RE2 remake, but I'm more attracted to these kind of looter-shooters.
I can tell the game's graphics aged pretty bad, but so are the controllers? Is it fun and comparable to a "modern" game in 2020?
Some gameplay I've seen in youtube looks kind of fun, so I'm tempted.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
There are huge chunks of RE4 that I'm hoping they cut out of the remake thus making it a vastly better game, so I'd wait.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Play the original on PS4 because the remake supposedly comes out in 2022 and nobody knows if it will do the original experience any justice.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is fine, just play it now.

The remake is still a ways off anyways.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's one of the best games ever just play it, also RE4 has aged like fine wine compared to the RE games before it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 version is absolutely fantastic, and holds up incredibly well today. The controls are still tank controls however, and there will likely be a learning curve to get comfortable with them, though the game is designed masterfully with these controls in mind.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Play both. A remake of RE4 is 100% going to be a completely different game.

Scott the Woz summed up the game pretty well: it's not scary, it's scary themed. In between the moody atmosphere and occasional tense moments/jump scares, there's a really silly parody of an American action movie going on. A remake is going to lean heavily into the horror elements of the series and probably tone down the goofy dialogue and characters (I'd be surprised if we lose some of the silly stuff in the castle, to be honest). Looking at the last two remakes for reference, they'll probably also change the level design up a bit and change gameplay to the point where you could play both and get a different experience out of each.

It's a top tier game, the inevitable remake is going to be one of the most divisive games of the generation, you may as well play the original so you can make up your own mind about it.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Play it now and appreciate the reload animations that are now 15 years old.

tumblr_n8wh3kHedX1sjbtwdo1_500.gif

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Give it a shot. The controls are a bit of an acquired taste to put it kindly, but if you can get past that aspect it's still a lot of fun.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
As someone that's never gotten far in it because I'm bad, play it on PS4. With as different as REmake3 was from the original it's safe to say a new version is gonna lose a lot of the more wacky stuff so better to have that experience before you go into the new one. And it plays surprisingly well to this day.

May 15, 2019
The remake isn't even announced yet and people are already trying to dump the original in the trash. I wish old games got the same level of respect old cinema did.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I have no idea how RE4 qualifies as a looter shooter, but it is a really well-designed game that would probably not be significantly changed if it was developed today - or at least nor for gameplay reasons.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed RE4 for the first time in years last fall, on the Switch, after I had played REmake2 (and replayed that many times) and the game holds up very well. The pacing is so good.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This post might sound dumb to some of you, but as someone who hasn't played RE4, I can just look at it and know that it does not need a remake and still looks modern today. I would just play what's already available. You'll probably appreciate it more if a remake is actually coming.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not a hardcore RE fan, played RE2 remake, but I'm more attracted to these kind of looter-shooters.
I can tell the game's graphics aged pretty bad, but so are the controllers? Is it fun and comparable to a "modern" game in 2020?
Some gameplay I've seen in youtube looks kind of fun, so I'm tempted.

I think the gameplay is still fun. RE4 encounter design is some of the best in the biz IMO. Graphics are bad even on the PS4 versions. If you have someone with a decent computer this is the definitive version with this superb high res texture mod:

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The controls are definitely 2004, but it remains one of the best games of all time.

Play it now.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I say you should replay it . I recently replayed it on switch and it still holds up incredibly well.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Play it now, but understand that it is NOT a modern TPS even though it really looks like one. The game controls fantastically with the correct scheme (Type 3 iirc), but it's designed around not being able to strafe.

As far as graphics go I think you'll be impressed by the setpieces when you consider that the game is 15 years old now.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, its literally the best game of all time IMO, as it is right now. It still holds up and the pacing is incredible. The remake will probably do away with some of the game which will make it inferior IMO. Play the game now.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Play it on PS4! I bet you the remake will lose a lot of charm of the original. I mean look what happened to RE3. Lost a lot of stuff. Even RE2 Remake lost some stuff I wished they kept intact.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I played it for the first time this year.

BRUH ITS GOOD!

Like I went in with high expectations as so many deem it the best game ever.

It might just be 🤔

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game, play it now. The remake is probably a long ways away and will be different enough from the original to make it it's own thing.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Play it now. Chances are the Remake won't be as good.

Although if possible you should play it on PC, GC or Wii if you have the option. The PS4 version is kind of busted.

The PC version with the HD project mod is the best as it restores many of the missing effects and textures to a much better state in higher resolution.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Just play it now. I already had no interest in a remake of 4 specifically, least of all from the likes of the team who couldn't even get 3 right.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I have a "hunch" the reimagining of RE4 might end up being very different than the 4 we mostly know and love, so yeah...go for it.

Yahabane

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 29, 2019
Definitely play it. The remake is most likely going to be quite the different experience.