• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The Platinum worship reminds me of the old Treasure worship. I remember people talking about treasure the same way and it was a little crazy. It's like they feel a level of hardcore when being fans. Treasure made a McDonalds game and people used to talk about it all the fucking time and all I ever thought was "no one even played this shit."
Thanks for the recommendation, this McDonald's game is pretty impressive.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell are people tagging me at 5-6 in the morning like I'm awake 24/7 to respond to them
Beef waking up to all these messages like...

Di06bH0PZcsajC-VzFC_ZTvx9k8=.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Preach!
I don't get it either, but I get that people are looney. Its like the people that think Valve are still top tier developers

Vanquish was cool. I should probably play Nier:A. Everything else has been meh.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
When I see the Platinum name attached I don't immediately get excited by the game but I have enjoyed some of their work. I really liked Transformers, Metal Gear Rising and Nier Automata but haven't got around to playing Bayonetta or Vanquish yet. Not all developers create hits every time so a few games that are on the lower end isn't the end of the world. Odds are that most people buying Platinum games know exactly what they are getting from the game and that's what they want in the first place.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah.

You get good platinum and bad platinum. They had a real hot streak when they first started but its been years and years since Bayoneta, Vanquish and Rising.

Even Neir which might be the most loved game with the PG name attached doesnt lean into any of their strengths and if anything suffers a lot because of their technical weaknesses, and the combat was so bad a mushy it felt closer to FFXV then Bayonetta or MGR. If Square tells me Neir 3 is ditching PG as a co developer I wouldnt bat a eye.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
when are you ever required to apply any of this in the actual game though

a decent combat system doesn't mean squat if the game doesn't give you a reason to use it

Utilizing combos is more effective, and more fun. You'll get through enemies faster and need to heal less.

You can button mash in a lot of games and still win; it's rare that full command of technique is straight up mandatory to win any game. The Arkham games are another example of that. That doesn't make the combat poorly designed.

If the argument is that Platinum has good games and bad games, well, sure... most studios do. If the argument is that they are all or mostly bad... yeah, you lost me there, chief.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
when are you ever required to apply any of this in the actual game though

a decent combat system doesn't mean squat if the game doesn't give you a reason to use it
This is false. A lot of DMCs combat could be ignored if that was the only criteria, but it's more efficient to learn the fun shit or far far more expressive. Which is part of the fun in the genre, expressing yourself.

No one dunks on shitty ass Batman n Witcher combat just for a lack of tools, they simply are too rigid at everything they do to offer any depth.

Automata has its issues, but this notion that it has nothing going on is a massive misunderstanding in what makes action game combat systems good.

The larger issue is that of balancing, how if you are too high level you will melt the enemy, and if too underleveled you won't be able to juggle enemies, limited attack options of bosses, etc.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
A premise I don't get is the one present in sabrina's post. I'm not even particularly invested in Platinum, but nah, I don't agree at all that it's only "Five or six games" that are good.

Games >75:

MadWorld
Infinite Space
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2
Transformers: Devastation
NieR: Automata (which, I don't really understand how Platinum had almost nothing to do with it? Didn't nearly 100% of its development team consist of Platinum employees?)

Games <75:

Anarchy Reigns
The Legend of Korra
Star Fox Zero
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

The truth is, most of Platinum's games are pretty good, sometimes even great. Like, what constitutes what is worth talking about?
Sure, okay, yeah. Just draw the line at 75 and pretend that I would do the same. It's easy to be confused that way when you set the goalposts really wide.

A 75 game is fine. It's usually not worth talking about, and it's definitely not the legacy of a company that deserves to make all games going forward like some people have acted as though Platinum is. They would have to be consistently at or around 90 for that to be my opinion.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The Platinum worship reminds me of the old Treasure worship. I remember people talking about treasure the same way and it was a little crazy. It's like they feel a level of hardcore when being fans. Treasure made a McDonalds game and people used to talk about it all the fucking time and all I ever thought was "no one even played this shit."
Shame on them then, ♡ McDonalds
McDonald%27s_Treasure_Land_Adventure_Sega_Genesis.jpg

This looks awesome

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Nier A has a indepth battle system that you don't need to bother with.

Where it fails is the structure of enemies.

Terra

May 15, 2019
low effort hot take thread still low effort. I mean its clear that OP doesn't like the Games that Platinum makes all that much, which is totally fine. But like maybe don't walk in like "I DON'T GET IT MAN, EVERYONE ELSE CAN'T SEE WHAT I'M PUTTING DOWN, YOU ARE ALL IN THE PLATINUM CULT, MOST OF THEIR GAMES ARE BAD (except the ones i convinently feel like not mentioning)" and expect for the thing that you know maybe people just *gasp* like the games they make.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Besides Korra and TMNT I liked all of their games so seeing them being involved in anything makes me happy and excited. But at the end of the day they make good and not so good titles and everything in between like everyone else. Even in the aforementioned games though I still generally enjoyed the combat. You get what you see I guess.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
From a developer perspective their output is outstanding

Its hard enough for a company to make ONE good game, why do you think companies keep making the same game over and over

In 12 years, which is a VERY short time, they have redefined the action genre and the action RPG genre. They hace developed their own IP from scratch and shown great aptitude at working with other IPs. Its VERY HARD to do ONE of those things well and they do BOTH! They have collaborated AND shipped great quality games with Kojima, Nintendo, Square, SEGA and others, the MSoft hiccup is relevant because its such an exception to their excellent publisher partnerships. 1st parties are knocking themselves over to have a chance at making a game with them. They take chances and make console specific games like W101 (a game EA could never make btw) and have proven to know how to budget their expertise and make smaller experiences like the Korra and Transformer games in order to pay the bills. Their games can be as big or as small as the budget allows and they always have a voice, are fun and SHIP, thats incredible.

They are super flexible which is the #1 quality you need in a third party. They have STRONG creator voices AND they nurture and raise new developers, they also hire foreigners, a rarity for a Japanese dev, they experiment with artstyles and are unafraid to take crazy chances.

They have barely over 200 employees

Cmon dude
This post is wasted on this forum. The bar for good is always something far more inane.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Weird, it's why I rag on Twilight Princess's combat system.
Also a bit of a misnomer. It's not so much you don't have to use the moves, it's the the moves have no synergy with anything else, no real risk to the reward. You just fire the move off n forget.

It's a larger problem in Zeldas shallow combat since ocarina.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so tired of people who still wants to bring up contracted games, this kind of thinking only works to exclude studios that needs to rely on external funding to exist. Platinum doesn't have the same funds as Capcom, they need to eat and they do with what they have been given.

If you seek catalog purity, just stop checking out Platinum because they have to do this in order to subsist, just go and shill the two or three mega companies with the money to fund their own IPs instead

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Prof beef get dragged for his typically shitty takes is great.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Just because you don't bother to learn the combat doesn't mean it's shallow,

I'm pretty good at the game, not that good but I wasn't DMC3 combo video material but I knew the game and I played it well. Nier not as much, but as flashy as the combat is I didn't enjoy the combat as much as I felt I should. Most of the time during combat, there's no threat but the enemies don't really need a different approach. One thing I would have thought cool are enemies that you need to quick evade and persist through your slow-mo. Something more rhythmic.

It feels like you just lay waste through defenseless or thoroughly outclassed robots for most of the game. More importantly, I grew to dislike the flying segments over the game - though some of the transitions were cool.

Maybe what I meant was, the sense of satisfaction I received from the combat felt shallow.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lol nah, I'm saying sadly your post is going to get drowned out n over looked.

Good is 90+ metacritic everytime, high production value, bitchin sales, goty awards, and all that jazz. Anything less, clearly scrubs.
People still lurk and read, over 2k views on this thread alone. People tend to focus on the 1% of anything, it happens in every industry.

Its alright though, I like to give a different perspective o at least its out there. Too many things about the industry get taken for granted.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
What gets me is that OP had to have his friends kick him into FINALLY form this really, very, properly(TM) articulated thought and still came up with that. I mean, c'mon, this is barely a step above shitposting mate. To say nothing of the fact that the post is full of misinformation, both on purpose (not mentioning countless games that have been very positively received and making up -yep, totally making up- how they have a "very bad" track record) and for lack of wanting to actually make an informed post to back up your claims. When you properly examine the op, there's basically ZERO meat to it and is poorly articulated.
You could've just said "I dislike them and that is my opinion", which is obviously fine - just don't expect to win any arguments using that - and you would have achieved the exact same thing you did by posting this thread.

From a developer perspective their output is outstanding

Its hard enough for a company to make ONE good game, why do you think companies keep making the same game over and over

In 12 years, which is a VERY short time, they have redefined the action genre and the action RPG genre. They hace developed their own IP from scratch and shown great aptitude at working with other IPs. Its VERY HARD to do ONE of those things well and they do BOTH! They have collaborated AND shipped great quality games with Kojima, Nintendo, Square, SEGA and others, the MSoft hiccup is relevant because its such an exception to their excellent publisher partnerships. 1st parties are knocking themselves over to have a chance at making a game with them. They take chances and make console specific games like W101 (a game EA could never make btw) and have proven to know how to budget their expertise and make smaller experiences like the Korra and Transformer games in order to pay the bills. Their games can be as big or as small as the budget allows and they always have a voice, are fun and SHIP, thats incredible.

They are super flexible which is the #1 quality you need in a third party. They have STRONG creator voices AND they nurture and raise new developers, they also hire foreigners, a rarity for a Japanese dev, they experiment with artstyles and are unafraid to take crazy chances.

They have barely over 200 employees

Cmon dude

I mean, this is the undeniable, fully backed by facts, reality of the matter.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
People still lurk and read, over 2k views on this thread alone. People tend to focus on the 1% of anything, it happens in every industry.

Its alright though, I like to give a different perspective o at least its out there. Too many things about the industry get taken for granted.
I guess it was my round about way of saying I liked your post, and it warranted more follow ups. My B for not leading with that and being negative instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, okay, yeah. Just draw the line at 75 and pretend that I would do the same. It's easy to be confused that way when you set the goalposts really wide.

A 75 game is fine. It's usually not worth talking about, and it's definitely not the legacy of a company that deserves to make all games going forward like some people have acted as though Platinum is. They would have to be consistently at or around 90 for that to be my opinion.

I mean shit, let's approach this from a different angle then, aye? Treasure was famously regarded as a top-tier developer, and in the past was in a similar "Treasure should make [X] game" meme. Let's apply, say, an >85 parameter to them (based on 4 or more reviews).

85 or over:

Gunstar Heroes
Guardian Heroes
Radiant Silvergun
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Sin & Punishment
Ikaruga
Astro Boy: Omega Factor

Under:

Dynamite Heddy
Alien Soldier
Light Crusader
Mischief Makers
Silhouette Mirage
Bangai-O
Bangai-O Spirits
Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury
Silpheed: The Lost Planet
Stretch Panic
Wario World
Gradius V
Advanced Guardian Heroes
Gunstar Super Heroes
Bleach: The Blade of Fate
Bleach: Dark Souls

If we extended it to 90, only the S&P games and Radiant Silvergun would be considered great by these standards. If we lowered it to even 80, we see a number of games then move up to the first list (nine of them in fact). Yet, it's a fact that Treasure has just as bad if not worse output on average than Platinum. And presumably, you could find most companies that are well-revered and that have an approximately similar number of releases to be comparable to Treasure's and Platinum's output if you put them side-by-side. Yes, a lot of people suggest Platinum make a game, but they're either memeing or they don't literally mean they want Platinum to make every single game out there. The fact is that Platinum has had an okay track record when it comes to adapting other properties - NieR Automata and MGRR as notable examples. Thus, people would like to see them bring their skills to other franchises. Just like how after Astro Boy and Gradius V, Treasure became notable for its work on other franchises and "in-demand."

What gets me is that OP had to have his friends kick him into FINALLY form this really, very, properly(TM) articulated thought and still came up with that. I mean, c'mon, this is barely a step above shitposting mate. To say nothing of the fact that the post is full of misinformation, both on purpose (not mentioning countless games that have been very positively received and making up -yep, totally making up- how they have a "very bad" track record) and for lack of wanting to actually make an informed post to back up your claims. When you properly examine the op, there's basically ZERO meat to it and is poorly articulated.
You could've just said "I dislike them and that is my opinion", which is obviously fine - just don't expect to win any arguments using that - and you would have achieved the exact same thing you did by posting this thread.

I'm of a similar mind to this, honestly. I finally figured out what Beef was talking about with saying that they barely had anything to do with NieR, and it seems like nonsense. Someone made a really good point that Yoko Taro's work before Automata was consistently not well-received (even if it should have been), so acting like Platinum had nothing to do with the first game he made that was seems disingenuous.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't unusual for really great devs that are at all prolific. You see it with Platinum, Treasure, From Software, Atlus, even scaling up to huge publishers like Nintendo. If the good outweighs the bad, and the good is more often great or best in class, people will overlook the chaff that might sneak out sometimes.

Heck this even happens with more middle tier devs like Grasshopper Manufacture or Level 5.

Jan 11, 2018
They're pretty hit or miss for me. Their highest points are some of the greatest action I've ever experienced (Vanquish, The Wonderful 101), and the Bayonetta games are very good as well.

I find MGR and Nier, Star Fox Zero, and Madworld to be decent to good, and I'm really saddened that Scalebound didn't work out, because that seemed like an awesome concept. I'm not really digging Astral Chain though.

Overall I do feel they are a really solid studio, though I'd be lying if I said Platinum hasn't lost some of it's luster over the years.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol nah, I'm saying sadly your post is going to get drowned out n over looked.

Good is 90+ metacritic everytime, high production value, bitchin sales, goty awards, and all that jazz. Anything less, clearly scrubs.

Precisely. It's such a weird, frustrating thing to see people put so much stock into whether a game's aggregate score is "the best of the best." Many of my favorite games are game that weren't appreciated at launch, or perhaps were never appreciated at all. Focusing excessively on review scores just makes people miss out on some pretty good shit.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this thread is just "stop liking what I don't like!?"

Becuse otherwise I don't get the goal here. Like are you trying to convince people who like Automata there wrong?

Yeh Platinum made some meh games but going by critical reception they hit far more often then they miss.

Add in the fact you choose to make this thread when their most recent game is looking fantastic. Maybe if you made it during their lowest point(SFZero,Scalebound canceled,TMNT) but now it feels like you're being disingenuous.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Platinum games tend to be flawed as hell but hit the right notes for me. Meanwhile there are games that are polished to hell and back to the point where I want to like them out of admiration but really don't care about(like Spider-Man for ps4).

Rising, Bayo, Nier, even the low budget ones have issues but I always enjoy my time with them.

So when I hear "platinum game" I'm excited because I expect a good time with a game with lots of issues that I'm personally fine with.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I thought Madworld and Anarchy Reigns were both decent games. Haven't tried the other 2 you mentioned.
So far I've atleast somewhat enjoyed every platinum game I've played. And some of them, like Bayonetta, I really love.
So sure, not every game they make is a masterpiece obviously, but they are one of the few developers that continue to make games in that style, and I think it is appropriate to celebrate that.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
I've played quite abit of Platinums library, Id say overall ignoring the licensed games and a couple of bad steps there output has been great

Nier Automata: Great
Bayonetta 1: Amazing
Bayonetta 2: Godlike
Vanquish: Godlike
MGR: Amazing
Madworld: Good
Wonderful 101: Amazing
Starfox Zero: Good
Infinite Space: Bad
Transformers Devastation: Good

Oct 25, 2017
So this thread is just "stop liking what I don't like!?"

Becuse otherwise I don't get the goal here. Like are you trying to convince people who like Automata there wrong?

Yeh Platinum made some meh games but going by critical reception they hit far more often then they miss.

Add in the fact you choose to make this thread when their most recent game is looking fantastic. Maybe if you made it during their lowest point(SFZero,Scalebound canceled,TMNT) but now it feels like you're being disingenuous.

Like, I think the point is "people are too willing to give them a pass for their bad games," but I don't think that's true.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Platinum games tend to be flawed as hell but hit the right notes for me. Meanwhile there are games that are polished to hell and back to the point where I want to like them out of admiration but really don't care about(like Spider-Man for ps4).

Rising, Bayo, Nier, even the low budget ones have issues but I always enjoy my time with them.

So when I hear "platinum game" I'm excited because I expect a good time with a game with lots of issues that I'm personally fine with.
Bayonetta and Vanquish with the standards they released on 2010 was polished as all hell though. Yeah the PS3 version existed and the minigames, etc they didn't age well but by that time it was fine.
They can make polished games given the right conditions they just focus on combat animations over other things