• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
It's funny that it just becomes a "joke thread" because it's a "mod." I don't agree with Beef on many things but this is one of those times he has my sword. The worship of Platinum games like they can do no wrong is absolutely insane.

They have a 50/50 track record at this point. They either make amazing games like Bayo, Vanquish, MGR:R, or Nier (gameplay only, because most of it hinges on Yoko Taro's inanity). Or they are making decent to ehh games like MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns, Korra, TMNT.

Maybe Astral Chain will be one of their awesome games. Again, to me at least, it's been a 50/50 split.

I 100% agree with this post, even the amazing games list and ehh games :)

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Why do you have a beef with Platinum, professor?

So what if only four or five of their sixteen games are worth talking about? I will still cherish them, because Hideki Kamiya is really rude to people on Twitter in a funny way, which I've decided is okay because he's earned it.

Probably because the OPs developer of choice doesn't get as much praise for even Platinums worst games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In the treehouse segment they showed a bit of the customization for the main character which looked in depth (he chose male) and they said you can purchase different types of clothes, i guess if you pick the female character you can make her look less oversexualized.

I'm personally fine with it, i know it's a stereotype in anime even more than video games, but it could be like Bayonetta where yes is like that because she wants to be like that, there is a thought behind.

The character doesn't have actual autonomy. "We wrote her so that she'd be an idiot who'd leave critical arteries exposed in a combat zone" doesn't excuse the fact that a man is very clearly designing the character to appeal to the male gaze. There is no logical reason why a trained policewoman would insist on walking around in full zettai ryouiki mode when anyone with any sense knows that a solid hit to the artery down there would leave you bleeding out in the street in minutes.

We're in "ashamed of your words and deeds" territory if we have to settle for the 'but she WANTS to dress like a fetish model' argument, you know? God help me if you can't unlock some damn pants to put on her.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
The licensed games are the worst output they've had but even transformers was pretty dope. When they make a good game they really knock it out of the park however. The Wonderful 101 is the best game on the Wii U no I don't take criticism.
Good post. TW101 is not only the best Wii U game, but also the best P* game, and it is also the best game I've played in a long while. Their licensed games might not be great in general, but it is no stain in their amazing track record.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
I agree OP.

Kinda hit me playing Automata to be honest. Enjoyable game for sure, but it's bloody shallow combat wise. Sure you can style on everybody but I dunno, didn't enjoy as much as Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP.

Kinda hit me playing Automata to be honest. Enjoyable game for sure, but it's bloody shallow combat wise. Sure you can style on everybody but I dunno, didn't enjoy as much as Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

It doesn't help that Automata's world both feels way too tiny AND way too big for the very small amount of content in it. Running through that same stretch of city over and over and over and over and over again with the same music playing ad nauseum made me want to jump in the ocean.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Wonderful 101 and Metal Gear Rising are the only Platinum games I've really loved. I legit don't understand the love for Bayonetta outside of the gameplay being solid, I think the story in particular is a boring confusing mess albeit with a fun main character. I basically only perked up when random Sega homages started happening. Astral Chain is 100x more interesting to me than the idea of Bayo 3.

I think the "pass" they get is basically all down to their gameplay being great more often than not, I remember hearing those licensed games had fun combat, they were just shallow outside of that and presumably didn't get the time commitment their other projects receive. I still have faith in them if they have a solid idea and the time to deliver upon it.

(they should just make a spiritual successor to Okami tho)

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
It doesn't help that Automata's world both feels way too tiny AND way too big for the very small amount of content in it. Running through that same stretch of city over and over and over and over and over again with the same music playing ad nauseum made me want to jump in the ocean.

Real talk. I get that the themes of the game lend a sense of lifelessness, but there is a limit, and that world is bloody empty and not very fun or worthwhile to traverse.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk. I get that the themes of the game lend a sense of lifelessness, but there is a limit, and that world is bloody empty and not very fun or worthwhile to traverse.

Yup. This is a feature that Automata unfortunately shares with Nier 1: so much of that game was spent running (or more realistically, boar-riding) back and forth across the field area between the main village and the other towns or dungeon areas.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could make a similar thread about a ton of companies tbh.

I'm not a Platinum super fan by any means but I love Bayonetta 1 & 2, Wonderful 101 and Nier.

I also had fun but never finished Transformers and TMNT.

They're untouchable in terms of that snappy combat action game genre for me.

Scalebound looked really interesting to me and I'm really looking forward to Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Wasn't PG also behind Star Fox Zero? I imagine the blame buck for that ones issues get passed off to Nintendo's insane insistence on gamepad gimmicks. ...ignoring that W101 also had those.

A huge chunk when the company formed 12 years ago, maybe. Today? I'd need to see the receipts! It doesn't help that they've made like 0 "Clover-like" games.
O "clover-like games"

God Hand and Viewtfiul Joe wouldn't be out of place in a PlatinumGames lineup. So that statement is absurd.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The licensed games are the worst output they've had but even transformers was pretty dope. When they make a good game they really knock it out of the park however. The Wonderful 101 is the best game on the Wii U no I don't take criticism.
I'll also die on that hill. W101 IS the best game on Wii U. It's the only reason I'm still holding onto that console.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching some of the Astral Chain footage, I get the sense that they're starting to feel constrained by their expected archetypes and aren't sure how to break out, hence the addition of the explorable city with side quests and whole police detective aspect. I'm... skeptical that it'll work out like they expect - the aesthetic feels like it's riffing off Bayonetta with otherworldly two-tones and bizarre enemies, but without the personality and style that Bayonetta brought to the table.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I love how Yōko Taro has never made a good video game in his life, but suddenly Nier automata has nothing to do with platinum. That games combat compared to Platinums good shit is disappointing.

But compared to taros old games? Huge improvement. Shits it's a class or several better than western action rpgs like The Witcher 3 or the likes of ass creed, Batman, mordor. Etc.

Oct 25, 2017
How are they getting a free pass if no one buys their bad games? Should we throw stones at the devs or something to show how displeased we are?

TMNT is trash, I still like Platinum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I don't really see that deification, to be honest, a lot of people agree with me when I talk about how too many of their good games follow the same formula, and they need to find value in having games that play differently, as the learning curve is part of the fun. A lot of people shitting on Platinum's more acesssible combat too when DMC5 was in peak hype period.

There's a reason we talk a lot less about Platinum these days than we did back in the days of MGR. There's a reason why Astral Chain threads struggle to get a lot of hype going in here, even though that looks like their best game in a LONG time, full of inventive ideas and that actually plays in a unique way.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Why the hell are people tagging me at 5-6 in the morning like I'm awake 24/7 to respond to them
Beef taking every opportunity to throw hands at 3rd Strike too I see lol
I am nothing if not consistent.
Beef sucks at 3rd Strike and blames the game instead of his own defeat
Man I've bought that fuckin game like, 3-4 times thinking my opinion would change on it and I'm convinced that at this point nothing will make me budge.

Also I still have my ps4 copy, so throw down if you wanna get schmacked
Probably because the OPs developer of choice doesn't get as much praise for even Platinums worst games.
I dont have a "developer of choice."
Professor Beef, you think you're being unpopular in this thread? If only this forum knew what I thought of Platinum... :P
Please dish!

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at 'not having much to do with Nier Automata'. Without Platinum's input the game would have been nothing more than a nice soundtrack.
Even though the combat was only diet Bayonetta, I wouldn't have stuck with the game without it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
From a developer perspective their output is outstanding

Its hard enough for a company to make ONE good game, why do you think companies keep making the same game over and over

In 12 years, which is a VERY short time, they have redefined the action genre and the action RPG genre. They have developed their own IPs from scratch and shown great aptitude at working with other peoples IPs. Its VERY HARD to do ONE of those things well and they do BOTH! They have collaborated AND shipped great quality games with Kojima, Nintendo, Square, SEGA and others, the MSoft hiccup is relevant because its such an exception to their excellent publisher partnerships. 1st parties are knocking themselves over to have a chance at making a game with them. They take chances and make console specific games like W101 (a game EA could never make btw) and have proven to know how to budget their expertise and make smaller experiences like the Korra and Transformer games in order to pay the bills. Their games can be as big or as small as the budget allows and they always have a voice, are fun and SHIP, thats incredible.

They are super flexible which is the #1 quality you need in a third party. They have STRONG creator voices AND they nurture and raise new developers, they also hire foreigners, a rarity for a Japanese dev, they experiment with artstyles and are unafraid to take crazy chances.

They have barely over 200 employees

Cmon dude

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You conveniently forgot a lot of games, Beef.

Those you listed suffered from low budget from the publisher (Acti-Blizz) and Mad World and Anarchy Reign are a matter of taste, so I can't really have that take seriously.

But yeah, TMNT fucking sucks, even compared to Transformers which at least had a lot of heart put in it despite the low budget. Korra I never tried but heard positive things about it.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
What is there to say. The OP spotlights their rougher games and handwaves their greater efforts in the first page. They're a studio with fantastic style, amazing experimental spirit, and several hits in different genres and with different publishers. Their output is exciting and engaging. Your interpretation and bizarre warning of how we should look at the studio, is garbage.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that it just becomes a "joke thread" because it's a "mod." I don't agree with Beef on many things but this is one of those times he has my sword. The worship of Platinum games like they can do no wrong is absolutely insane.

They have a 50/50 track record at this point. They either make amazing games like Bayo, Vanquish, MGR:R, or Nier (gameplay only, because most of it hinges on Yoko Taro's inanity). Or they are making decent to ehh games like MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns, Korra, TMNT.

Maybe Astral Chain will be one of their awesome games. Again, to me at least, it's been a 50/50 split.
It's treated like a joke thread because it is one. The OP, instead of trying to engage a discussion about Platinum and their faults as a developer, chose to focus on the opinion some people have on this forum and how he doesn't like that they feel that way. It's ridiculous, boring, and goes nowhere. Not to mention it's completely biased and incomplete and there has been no follow up to the things they have been rightly called out on. And I'm not even going to mention the low level troll about Third Strike.

It's either a joke thread or a bad one made out of some kind of ridiculous frustration. It goes nowhere and come from a mod on top of it. And people disliking Platinum shouldn't have to defend the thread by default.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also to be fair, I wouldn't hold Beef to some kind of golden standard because he's a mod or anything like that. Come on folks, mods are humans too.

I mean, it's good fun to have a hot take thread every once in a while. I still like Beef even though he doesn't hold PG close to his heart. <3

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Also to be fair, I wouldn't hold Beef to some kind of standard because he's a mod or anything like that. Come on folks.

I mean, it's good fun to have a hot take thread every once in a while. I still like Beef even though he doesn't hold PG close to his heart. <3

Confirmed: Seik can take slander of Platinum Games but not of poutine. Now, we know where the line is.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I legit don't understand the love for Bayonetta outside of the gameplay being solid, I think the story in particular is a boring confusing mess albeit with a fun main character.

I mean

Bayonetta is a great, brilliant game because it has great, brilliant game play. The story is just silly gameplay glue.

It's like saying you "don't understanding the love for In-N-Out outside their burgers being solid". Yeah, you do. That's it. That's the love. The fries might be a mess but nobody's going there for that. Nobody's playing Bayonetta like it has the plot to War and Peace.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Disregarding their work on Nier Automata seems like a joke. They developed exactly what was ordered, and they actually had an extremely interesting RPG system with the android chips and drone configurations. Not to mention the UI design was absolutely stellar.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
C'mon now, The Wonderful 101 could've practically been called Viewtiful Joe: Legion
W101 looks like VJ. It plays nothing like VJ. If vaguely resembling a past thing they made based on looks alone is all that counts, then yeah sure they're Clover. The bootleg indie Clover which has some of the old staff and promises spiritual successors that turn out ta not be what ya actually wanted. Least they dun gotta run to kickstarter for funding since thats a super poisoned well.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
From a developer perspective their output is outstanding

Its hard enough for a company to make ONE good game, why do you think companies keep making the same game over and over
It's easy to overlook stuff like this. The talent and creativity at PlatinumGames, as well as their willingness to mix ideas and experiment, makes them exciting. It's what keeps interest in their output high.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Platinum worship reminds me of the old Treasure worship. I remember people talking about treasure the same way and it was a little crazy. It's like they feel a level of hardcore when being fans. Treasure made a McDonalds game and people used to talk about it all the fucking time and all I ever thought was "no one even played this shit."

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I'd say that the obsession around Hideo Kojima is worse. Heck, for a time there was also Team ICO this, Team ICO that. So I guess some just need something to latch into.

At least with Platinum the games of choice are mixed: Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, God Hand... unlike someone else. :p

senj

Nov 6, 2017
W101 looks like VJ. It plays nothing like VJ. If vaguely resembling a past thing they made based on looks alone is all that counts, then yeah sure they're Clover. The bootleg indie Clover which has some of the old staff and promises spiritual successors that turn out ta not be what ya actually wanted. Least they dun gotta run to kickstarter for funding since thats a super poisoned well.
all im reading is u never played it
If y'all don't see the through line from Viewtiful Joe's Tokusatsu driven action to W101's homage to Super Sentai , y'all blind or something

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
This just makes it sound like you have no idea what either Pikmin or TW101 is.
Sorry, was a sarcastic take. I really like TW101 as you can see from my previous post
Good post. TW101 is not only the best Wii U game, but also the best P* game, and it is also the best game I've played in a long while. Their licensed games might not be great in general, but it is no stain in their amazing track record.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Mad world was pretty good, everything else is really meh. I have never understood the love for this studio.

Oct 25, 2017
Abysmal content output is such a shitty, clickbait title, damn.

They're also one of a small group of devs with more than one Edge 10 under their belt, something only Nintendo, Valve, Rockstar, Bungie and From Software have accomplished from the top of my head.

Anyway, bring on Astral Chain, Bayo 3 and Babylon's Fall (whatever that may be).