• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 5, 2019
The game they "barely had anything to do with' has a +20 metascore over its predecessor and millions more I'm sales, due to the improvements to the core mechanics.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Judging an independent developer by the licensed budget projects they put out to put food on the table instead of by their marquee titles is pretty foolish. Treasure made some licensed games that weren't as good as their original titles, they were still a fantastic studio. Same goes for Wayforward, Two Tribes, Ancient, and basically any other work for hire independent developer.

People love Platinum because of their original titles and collaborations with big publishers on bigger budget titles.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Transformers Devastation was good, Metal Gear Revengance, Vanquish, TW101, all the clover stuff is part of the legacy too, as well as Kamiya's history with RE and DMC. Plus Madworld and Anarchy Reigns are pretty good. They have a couple of stinkers, but they have a fuck ton of great games.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's easy to see why they have a cult following. They put out games that are really fun and engaging to play, with some of them being at the top of their respective genres. I haven't played their licensed games, but I'm not surprised they are weaker. If you don't understand why they are special, that's fine. The same happens to FromSoftware, too.

You don't have to like their output. Certain character action games won't appeal to everyone. Don't you like Sonic games? You talk about Platinum as if they were Sonic Team.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear, Vanquish and Wonderful 101 aren't mentioned and...

it says volumes that Platinum's biggest success is a game that they barely had anything to do with (Nier Automata).

...Nier doesn't count for platinum because reasons lmao.

weak thread.

Their big games are very good and Astal and Bayo 3 will likely deliver.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Go play literally any of Taro's games before Automata and see just have fucking horrible they are in terms of game mechanics.
This isn't directed at you (your post just reminded me of something), but I also got incredibly annoyed at people trying to handwave my dislike of Automata by saying "lol it's a yoko taro game, what'd you expect?" as if i'm supposed to know who that dude is

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you value gameplay, you would understand.
Vanquish, Bayonetta I & II, and MGR: Revengeance are god tier.
Astral Chain looks like it is shaping up nicely!

Razlo

Oct 31, 2017
This reminds me when every once in a while someone puts up a thread claiming Nintendo makes bad games. I mean have your opinion, but good luck convincing anyone else on it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Pretty much all of their original stuff (plus MGR and Nier) is great though.

Astral Chain looks freaking awesome too.

We discount the bad licensed games because its pretty obvious that they didn't bring their A-game for that shit.

Razlo

Oct 31, 2017
This isn't directed at you (your post just reminded me of something), but I also got incredibly annoyed at people trying to handwave my dislike of Automata by saying "lol it's a yoko taro game, what'd you expect?" as if i'm supposed to know who that dude is
WOW! A lot of stink coming off of every post.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Wonderful 101 was great, as were Bayonetta 1+2, and vanquish. I never played nier, but I did have plenty of fun with mad world and anarchy reigns. Metal gear rising was also fantastic.

Overall it looks to me like if it isn't licensed it's probably going to be really good. Seems like a pretty solid track record to me. I guess I should try star fox zero though eh?

Actually lol it's $11 on Amazon right now. Why not? Can it be that bad?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
. And if I can continue to be blunt here, it says volumes that Platinum's biggest success is a game that they barely had anything to do with (Nier Automata).

I don't personally like automata'a game play that much(though I think that has more to do with difficulty scaling than the gameplay itself), but this is a weird ass take. Automata might be held in high regard mostly due to its storytelling and music, but platinum did the entire gameplay and even contributed to some thematic aspects of the game. Saying they had little to do with it is a terrible take.

Also bayonetta and MGR are legitamately amazing action games, and vanquish is a pretty solid game. Not everything platinum touches may be gold, but they have some high quality stuff in their portfolio.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Their output is far from terrible and it's easy to see why they're held in high regard. But I'd consider it simultaneously good and overrated. Possible to be both.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
People like Platinum because Kamiya, Inaba, and Mikami all have a dozens of hits under their belt between the three of them and they're legends in the field. They have more hits than misses and even their failures are interesting and at least make for fun post mortems.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
PlatinumGames has a good reputation because of they are one of the best in terms of over the top gameplay. Other 3rd person action GotY candidates (Zelda, GoW, Horizon, Witcher) pales in comparison.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think folks honestly confuse combat handing well with being good overall. Automata animates well and feels good to move around in, but there's one good boss fight in the entire game (opera).

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
???

What a take. They clearly have some budget titles (Korra, TNMT) that were not fully baked games (and probably never intended to be), and everything else comes down in the range from good to great.

They're not always my thing, but c'mon man.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I'm with you OP, Platinum is a B+ developer at best, they had so many chances to prove if they're capable of making an AAA game (90+) but failed. Maybe the team is still developing and learning along the way?

Real test is Bay3 and Babylon's Fall.
Astral Chain

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I missed what you said about Nier:Automata. Platinum had a big part to do with it and I didn't like that contribution either.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Their track record has been real bad...

Receipts. Even by the least generous interpretation, they've made far more good games than bad, and most of their 'good' games are in fact some of the best in the genre.

Platinum has a consistent style and flair that's pretty much unique in the industry, and they've been doing it consistently for a decade now. Not everything they make is a guaranteed winner, sure, but more often than not they can be relied on for a great experience, and when they do hit they hit hard.

The idea that P* had 'barely anything to do' with Nier Automata is a dreadful take.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a bizarre thing to have a vendetta against a random developer then have to have friends kick you to get your thoughts together so you can take them to task on a gaming forum.

Mad World and Anarchy Reigns were good games, never touched the licensed stuff, Vanquish and Bayo 1 was good, Revengeance was fun as hell, I look forward generally to their games. Not sure why you're upset that they're popular.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The Activision stuff was obviously to keep the lights on. Call that an excuse if you want to, whatever. I'm surprised you're being this reductive about their talents in regards to combat though. People bring up Bayo because it was one of the best games in its genre and possibly of that generation. In a similar vein, I maintain Vanquish is one of (if not the) best TPS in its genre as well.

I don't know, Platinum makes conceptually/mechanically interesting games that are compelling, even when they don't all come together, and with a good few notable veteran designers at their helm. There's an integrity to their work that feels rare outside of Nintendo. Could the games sell better? Absolutely, but if they started with that being the main goal, they'd just start making games like Ubisoft and EA. I like a lot of games from Ubisoft and EA, but I don't particularly need that type of market-driven design from PG as well.

You've been sitting on this for a while, but maybe... you should've just kept sitting on it? It's all very "I don't like [Thing]". I mean, OK? Your point is people should consider not everything PG makes is a gem? I mean, of course. That you think that's deserving of a PSA is a little condescending, if I'm honest. Especially when the game they're putting out next doesn't exactly look like it's of the Activision variety.

Oct 25, 2017
meh, you can easily ignore those lesser games(only TMNT is truly bad) and assume it was quick money Platinum needed.

Platinum is great and what matters is Astral Chain and Bayo 3 are coming, baby.

Nov 1, 2017
Anarchy Reigns was incredible when you played it when it was new and had a decent playerbase. I've had more fun with that game than most multiple games, a really unique experience. Bayonetta is debatably one of the best action games ever created, Vanquish is detabably one of the best third person shooters ever created, MGR is a great entry into the pantheon of great character action games, Nier Automata is one of the best action RPGs I've ever played....unfortunately I haven't played The Wonderful 101 or their Star Fox game.

I think its unfair to call their output abysmal just by judging their budget licensed titles. Every single time they are given enough time, money and creative freedom to really design a game its fucking gold. That's why people love them.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I don't personally like automata'a game play that much(though I think that has more to do with difficulty scaling than the gameplay itself), but this is a weird ass take. Automata might be held in high regard mostly due to its storytelling and music, but platinum did the entire gameplay and even contributed to some thematic aspects of the game. Saying they had little to do with it is a terrible take.

Also bayonetta and MGR are legitamately amazing action games, and vanquish is a pretty solid game. Not everything platinum touches may be gold, but they have some high quality stuff in their portfolio.
Admittedly I may have worded that wrong after reading your post. Automata's combat is barely anything to write home about due to how the difficulty works in the game, and yeah it likely has a lot to do with the scaling, which is another issue on its own.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
You should probably take your Properly Articulated Thoughts back to the drawing board.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
''Their track record is bad'' proceeds to list four games out of a 14+ good rated catalog, with only one of them that can be considered truly a bad game.

What is this bullshit about they not doing anything on Nier A? Also Anarchy Reigns is great what are you even saying.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've only played two Platinum games: Nier Automata and Transformers: Devastation. They're both terrible games. The only good thing about Nier is the music and the only thing Transformers has going for it is that they nailed the G1 aesthetic. I've played through them both once and never will again. I always wanted to play Metal Gear Rising, but those two games are keeping me from playing it. I'll never buy another Platinum Games game. I've played two and they were both trash. I won't waste any more money on their games.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The visual design and overall art direction of their games are generally horrible and offputting imo. Their successful projects are those that some body else did the designs for them (nier and mgs). They could benefit from collaborations and focus on game design instead. Beside Vanquish I haven't liked the look of anything they have made personally and considering how badly everything bombed I'm guessing I'm not alone. Looks count for a LOT, just ask 2B, she sold the game.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I can't believe that the licensed games they made just to avoid going under weren't any good. Thank you for the enlightening thread, OP.

It was also cool to leave out all the other games that people like them for like MGR, Vanquish and Wonderful 101 so that we can pretend Bayonetta is the only good series they've made. That's not disingenuous at all.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Aslo wren't they niche as fuck? like bigger bomba than platinum games?

Automata's success has nothing to do with Taro.
tenor.gif