• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally in the OP. Unless if you don't trust what they say.

Tencent own 15% of Blizzard's stake. Meanwhile, they also own 40% of Epic's, and they don't seem to be affected at all. So it all depends on the company.

Other than the predatory business practices, yeah totally independent.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
So what does Tencent win? Hopefully P* does not become the worst Capcom.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
What % did Tencent invest? Not much point in doom and glooming things up without understanding the capital structure, and there are reasons to invest without trying to dictate operations.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Gross Gross Gross Gross. Tencent can fuck off, and there investment into the gaming space is getting progressively creepier.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop with them.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that fucking Tencent is micromanaging Planet Zoo and shit is just hilarious. Guys, most of their investments in these companies that do dlc and microtransactions are because those companies were already doing it (and thus are already compatible with Tencent's corporate ethos). Tencent has their fingers in the pies of some of the very best and worst in this regard.

Whatever you think of say, League of Legends, Riot is fully owned and is starting a single player story focused publishing wing, like 7 years after purchase. Tencent gets into some shady shit but, at least gaming wise, they aren't the bogeyman.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the over under on how long till the entire gaming industry is just completely owned by Tencent?

I really hope this works out for Platinum (for their sake at least). But like others have said, I can't see this going down well with Tencent.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna be more fruitful for platinum than the Microsoft deal.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that fucking Tencent is micromanaging Planet Zoo and shit is just hilarious. Guys, most of their investments in these companies that do dlc and microtransactions are because those companies were already doing it (and thus are already compatible with Tencent's corporate ethos). Tencent has their fingers in the pies of some of the very best and worst in this regard.

Whatever you think of say, League of Legends, Riot is fully owned and is starting a single player story focused publishing wing, like 7 years after purchase. Tencent gets into some shady shit but, at least gaming wise, they aren't the bogeyman.
Where's the fun in rationality when we can quote twitter posts with barely double digit likes?

Last edited:

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
People who think this is bad don't know enough about the business. This is very good for Platinum and fans of their games. I will say no more.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I'll reserve my judgment for now. I wanna see where this goes first. At first glance it seems like a good move to grow the business but we'll see.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just me that thinks it's funny that people here all worried about how Tencent's MT happy business model will affect Platinum keep posting a tweet from a dude who lists himself as "Producer of Madden Ultimate Team" right?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

What exactly is concerning about it? Tencent has their hands in a lot of game companies, some people probably don't even realize. This is literally helping Platinum do what they want to do, most notably be able to publish games on their own instead of constantly being a hired gun. Here's what Inaba said about this years plans

Platinum Games: Atsushi Inaba

"I think this will be a year where we can compete as a studio to truly be able to stand on our own. We're working hard to be able to deliver the games we create with our own hands, to our fans by our own hands."

www.gematsu.com

Famitsu and 4Gamer interview Japanese creators on 2020 ambitions

Famitsu and 4Gamer.net have gone up with their annual year-end articles, where over 100 game creators have shared messages, aspirations, and teasers for what is to come in 2020.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
are online commentators 'worrying' about something that don't understand at all yet?

Yes, it seems. So business as usual.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that it's Tencent, but if this keeps Platinum alive, then yay for that at least.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Hopefully this gives them capacity to make and publish their own games, and ideally on all platforms.