• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Source: https://www.platinumgames.com/news-january-7-2020/

Press release:

Announcement regarding partnership with Tencent

We would like to announce we have received a capital investment from Tencent Holdings Limited as a basis for partnership. This partnership has no effect on the independence of our company, and we will continue operations under our current corporate structure.

We hope to use this capital to strengthen our foundation as a business and expand from game development into exploring self-publishing. We also hope that this partnership can give us a wider global perspective, while still creating high quality games that stay true to our name.

Thank you as always for your continued support. Please look forward to what we have in store.

January 7, 2020
President and CEO
Kenichi Sato

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
They're pursuing Publishing now, too? Huh.
They've had ambitions of self-publishing for a while now but haven't been able to do it yet. They're clearly still dependent on contracts from big publishers like Square Enix and Nintendo, but this investment should help them move towards self-publishing.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Inaba talking about P* publishing games in the future, so it makes sense

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't see Platinum choosing to be bought unless everyone who founded it leaves.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I hope this finally rests the "MS is gonna buy Platinum, just you wait!" comments, especially since those comments always come up when you are trying to explain WHY they won't be bought by MS....

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I hope this finally rests the "MS is gonna buy Platinum, just you wait!" comments, especially since those comments always come up when you are trying to explain WHY they won't be bought by MS....

That's just fanboy wish fulfilment anyway.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Whatever happened to that mobile game that they were making that shared a similar artstyle to Okami? Maybe, they went to them to publish it.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I guess this could be a good thing.
Also, what happened to World of Demons? :(

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Platinum - securing their future. People underestimate how difficult it is to survive in the console space especially with the kind of games P+ Games make.

Hope this results in ambitious self published content.

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The key here is that they are still able to do what they want and publish their own work. I'm wondering what the terms of the investment are though. This is interesting.

Also wondering who else might be on Tencent's radar now 🤔

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, it won't. From Software is freaking owned by a company already and you still get comments saying "yaaas I hope MS/Sony buys them. Oh the meltdowns!"

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Hey, if it secures their future as a developer and lets them retain their independence, I'm all for it.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Chinese money in games may cause me to bow out entirely. It's a shame that platinum took the money, but I get that business has to business. Good thing consumer doesn't have to consumer.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yes but no. Good for Platinum, but I really hope Tencent doesn't get a bit controlling.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oxgeb7f1qpr31.png