• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
New thread for new news.

PlatinumGames' studio head has suggested the developer likely would not be interested in any potential acquisition offer from Xbox Game Studios.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has stated multiple times that he'd like to add a Japanese developer to Xbox's first-party studio line-up, in order to create content that better appeals to the Japanese audience.

However, Inaba told VGC that selling the studio at this stage would be "the opposite" of what it's trying to achieve with steps into self-publishing via The Wonderful 101 Remastered, and fully-owned original IP with Project GG.

"I did read some rumours about Xbox wanting to purchase PlatinumGames, and I thought, 'people on the internet write the craziest stuff', because that conversation has not come to our doorstep at all," he said.

"That said, we're not Microsoft, so we don't know what happens behind their doors, we don't know if they had any thoughts about it possibly.

"We've not had any talks like that, but I think even if it was a possibility, we're now going into more independent self-publishing.

"It's not that we're disinterested in Microsoft, but if the relationship were to be us working under their direction, I feel like that would be the opposite of what we're trying to do now and limit our possibilities. Any opportunities that would limit our freedom I think we would be against."

Asked how Xbox could improve its position in Japan, Bayonetta designer Kamiya said he felt Microsoft "could do more to market towards actual Japanese gamers' tastes" for their console.

"I would say that ever since the Xbox has been introduced to the Japanese market it's always felt like something foreign and far away. It doesn't feel like it's ever been cultivated for Japanese tastes," he said.

"It reminds me of the NES and Super NES days when I had to go to these really niche game stores to get foreign games you could only get through import. They weren't localised to Japan or anything, they were just imports that you were kind of buying just to have this rare token as a gamer."

Inaba added: "I agree with the foreign feeling nature of the hardware, but I also admire that Phil wants to try hard in Japan. I would love to give him some advice, but I also feel that the success route into Japan has not always been about having the best hardware.

"Sometimes it's about familiarity. The biggest exception is the iPhone, but that was able to break in because it just took the world over – and it's not easy to make something of that momentum every day. It's a tough question that I don't know the answer to."

A lot more at the link: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-it-wouldnt-be-interested-in-selling-to-xbox/

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Seems nothing crazy. Maybe there has been some idea within MS or companies on a "list" But companies like that look all the time. Brad Sams maybe heard about that.
The rest is pretty normal also. Relationship seems good. PG are doing their own thing. And Kayima even giving advice. So seem all good in the world and nothing crazy or anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Old news... Phil already sayed that long time ago...

Feels like Planitum need to say that to get attention...

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
For the right price and like they even mention with the right creative freedom anything is possible. I would like to see a platinum exclusive I did really want scalebound but I don't think MS needs to purchase them.

The current version of MS might be the most creative freedom giving possible time for any studio they ever pickup. Someone needed to pitch scale bound today.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The part of this story that's news-worthy was the part where Inaba said that conversations never even materialized, so at best, it was considered internally within MS but never left their walls.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think the 'because that conversation has not come to our doorstep at all' follow up to 'people on the Internet write the craziest things' is the important thing there.

MS haven't even approached them.

But I guess "We've not had any talks like that, but I think even if it was a possibility, we're now going into more independent self-publishing" is a far less sexy headline.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't mean a lot - if the check is big enough every dev will fold regardless of what their plans where before see Insomniac.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
OP has to be a headline writer for a major news corp's social media accounts somewhere.

Constantly burying the ledes to get sensational reactions.

There is a ton of great stuff in the article, including insights into Xbox's struggles in Japan.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Old news... Phil already sayed that long time ago...

Feels like Planitum need to say that to get attention...
There was a rumor earlier in the year about MS inquiring about acquiring Platinum last year, but it fell apart. That's what this is referring to.

Spencer's recent comments were about Scalebound.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't mean a lot - if the check is big enough every dev will fold regardless of what their plans where before see Insomniac.
Insomniac were pretty cheap given their size, proudly independent and caliber, so not a good example for that. They showed more how a long existing and healthy relationship can eventually lead to an acquisition.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That's a really great article, and what's highlighted in the thread title is probably the least interesting part of it.

Inaba's and Kamiya's comments about why the Xbox struggles in Japan are very elucidating.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Those days of trying to win the Nipponese market is long gone, but they should have Nipponese games try to be global hits, because the global market likes their gameplay and game design, last gen they tried to Westernize and failed.

And MS clearly doesn't care about any of that, they bought like 15 studios and none were from Nippon. PG makes a lot of games to a lot of people, glad this didn't happen. Maybe they should just found a new studio with veterans from Nintendo and other studios.

I would say that ever since the Xbox has been introduced to the Japanese market it's always felt like something foreign and far away. It doesn't feel like it's ever been cultivated for Japanese tastes
The ogXbox was a really good console for Nipponese games imo. Tons of niche stuff which only came out there.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Seems a bit of a non-story to me. A journalist has asked a dev if they'd sell up to MS and they've basically said that if they couldn't do their own thing then they wouldn't be interested, which I imagine would be the reaction of the majority of developers.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why. Companies like MS look all the time and make "lists'
Guess they went into another direction.
I wonder who they end up going for considering Phil is serious about adding a Japanese team to XGS. As i said in the other thread I hope they bring Itagaki in and give him all the funding he needs..

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't see PG wanting to be bought any time soon considering the upswing that they are experiencing right now.

Especially by MS.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Those days of trying to win the Nipponese market is long gone, but they should have Nipponese games try to be global hits, because the global market likes their gameplay and game design, last gen they tried to Westernize and failed.

And MS clearly doesn't care about any of that, they bought like 15 studios and none were from Nippon. PG makes a lot of games to a lot of people, glad this didn't happen. Maybe they should just found a new studio with veterans from Nintendo and other studios.

The ogXbox was a really good console for Nipponese games imo. Tons of niche stuff which only came out there.

MS is working on a Japan studio or Asian studio that is still happening. But takes time and they are doing alot of work "on the ground" Could be a start up studio also. But i dont think for MS the console is the focus alot anymore for Asia in the end.
More focus is on xCloud now and that market.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
There's absolutely no chance they'd let Microsoft acquire them with how devastated they were with Scalebound's cancellation. Also don't see why Microsoft would want to acquire them when they couldn't even bring their funded game to the end of development. Both sides have had bad experiences with each other.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There's absolutely no chance they'd let Microsoft acquire them with how devastated they were with Scalebound's cancellation. Also don't see why Microsoft would want to acquire them when they couldn't even bring their funded game to the end of development. Both sides have had bad experiences with each other.
So did Obsidian.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And yet they had no problem delivering on Sega and Nintendo funded games.

PG has a great record overall.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really great article, and what's highlighted in the thread title is probably the least interesting part of it.

Inaba's and Kamiya's comments about why the Xbox struggles in Japan are very elucidating.

I don't think this is exactly new info though. We've known for a while why the Japanese market never really came to the Xbox and its honestly MS' problem with the Xbox in nearly every country that isn't the US and the UK. Sony has done an incredible job making the Playstation a global brand through doing a variety of dubs and subs for many countries and languages that don't always get attention, has marketing campaigns focused on different parts of the world and even holds events in a variety of places like Singapore that I don't think MS even talks about. Its how MS can be still selling Xbox's in the US and keeping up with the PS4 but lag behind them by tens of millions on a global level.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum was notably absent from Microsoft's Series X dev lineup. It doesn't seem like they have any wherewithal to develop for the console as far as their own ventures are concerned.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum was notably absent from Microsoft's Series X dev lineup. It doesn't seem like they have any wherewithal to develop for the console as far as their own ventures are concerned.
Alot of studios or pubs were missing. They could also have been under Tencent.
Wont take that poster at full face value.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I don't think this is exactly new info though. We've known for a while why the Japanese market never really came to the Xbox and its honestly MS' problem with the Xbox in nearly every country that isn't the US and the UK. Sony has done an incredible job making the Playstation a global brand through doing a variety of dubs and subs for many countries and languages that don't always get attention, has marketing campaigns focused on different parts of the world and even holds events in a variety of places like Singapore that I don't think MS even talks about. Its how MS can be still selling Xbox's in the US and keeping up with the PS4 but lag behind them by tens of millions on a global level.
It's not new info, but it's interesting to hear it from them.

Oct 28, 2017
i don't think any japanese developer would gain anything by selling themselves to microsoft to be honest. it will be like cutting themselves out of one of the market

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alot of studios or pubs were missing. They could also have been under Tencent.
Platinum are independent, they wouldn't be under Tencent. They don't have to be on the chart, no, but I'd say the fact that TW101 totally skipped Xbox entirely is already indicative of the attitude they have toward working on those consoles.

OP
OP
Neat

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
OP has to be a headline writer for a major news corp's social media accounts somewhere.

Constantly burying the ledes to get sensational reactions.

There is a ton of great stuff in the article, including insights into Xbox's struggles in Japan.
What are you talking about dude? I literally just posted the quotes from Platinum people in the article, which is what the thread is about. I even said there's a lot more in the article.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Imagine Platinum being acquired by MS having to make idk endless solitaire games or some other franchise they own

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think any japanese developer would gain anything by selling themselves to microsoft to be honest. it will be like cutting themselves out of one of the market
I think they could, or any big publisher for that matter.

Problem is MS is probably looking at this from a "how can we enter Nippon" standpoint and not like "we want this great dev because they make great games". If that was the criteria they coulda shoulda added a bunch of studios/names already before going for the likes of Compulsion Games or thinking about PG.

MS is working on a Japan studio or Asian studio that is still happening. But takes time and they are doing alot of work "on the ground" Could be a start up studio also. But i dont think for MS the console is the focus alot anymore for Asia in the end.
More focus is on xCloud now and that market.
MS Osaka? Never heard of this, might be an assistant dev helping others out if they didn't specify Nippon.