• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
canada
It is fact that P* is the best developer in the Solar System at developing amazing gameplay for a variety of genres. Shooters? Vanquish. Melee combat? Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising. Interesting out of this world gameplay? W101.

Platinum can do absolutely anything, they even made a Yoko Taro game with good gameplay and that's unheard of! They made a game utilizing the Wii U gamepad!

BOTW? Its combat is utter trash. Flurry rush is a broken mess, hitboxes are a broken mess, weapon degradation system, multiple melee weapons sharing the same animations and having very very limited differences between them. You know who could make BOTW's combat amazing? You guessed it, Platinum Games.

Fallout? Gunplay and VATS kinda suck. You know a game with amazing shooting mechanics thats beloved by the TPS community? Vanquish, made by Platinum Games. You know a game with an amazing slow down mechanic? Bayonetta, made by Platinum Games.

Nier Automata shows though that it isn't just combat that Platinum excels at. Gameplay in general is phenomenal in their games. Nier's character controls are so fluid it's almost like dancing when you move around. It's like MGSV levels of character control and fluidity in a game with an actual story.

Based Kamiya and his team! Glory to Platinum Kind.

What games do you personally want Platinum to help develop (not fully develop but act like how Monolith Soft acts for Ninty)?

Personally, I like the direction that BOTWs combat took for the most part, but the direction they are going is some
Pseudo Platinum stuff. If they want that they should get the real stuff.

cbxQesa.gif

2609302-7966681829-iFCQT.gif

source.gif

UBdfS8U.gif

ALL NIER GIFS MADE BY THE FANTASTIC MR. Much118

Again ima say it

Never said they should be the sole developer but help out other teams like Monolith Soft does Ninty.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I dunno about all that. Isnt Nier:Automata their only truly successful game? And that's at 3 million or so?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they employ enough people.

But gosh this post has too many hot takes for me to handle. I'm gonna go grab an oven mitt.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
All they did for NieR: Automata was give good combat to what would've been an excellent game with subpar combat otherwise.

P* games are mostly not for me. They're for the twitchy, high skill gamer who loves to replay games in higher difficulties and mastering its systems. That... doesn't describe me in the least.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about all that. Isnt Nier:Automata their only truly successful game? And that's at 3 million or so?

It's not their game. PG has no games. As developpers, they were pretty successful at doing their job. As for game performance, that is up to the publisher. NieR Automata is a success because it was appealing to people and properly marketed. If PG would develop Monster Hunter World 2, it'd still be successful. If they developed God Hand 2, it'd still bomb (unfortunately :( )

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
BOTW doesn't need Platinum tier combat

Games don't need to be all the things all the time. They should be really good at a few things and focus on them, like how BOTW has a super well laid out open world.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Could you imagine Cyberpunk 2077 being developed by Platinum Games?

The combat would certainly kick ass lol.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
No lol
Platinum Games is nowhere near close to Capcom and From Software in combat system department.

Could you imagine Cyberpunk 2077 being developed by Platinum Games?

You mean a mediocre game in every department and a good combat system? Sure.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW doesn't need Platinum tier combat

Games don't need to be all the things all the time. They should be really good at a few things and focus on them, like how BOTW has a super well laid out open world.
It doesnt need plat combat specifically, but it doesnt mean the game cant improve in areas, combat being one area...

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go with no. Like, what kind of exaggerated suggestion is this? How would games such as Uncharted, Thomas was Alone, Portal, Civilization, AstroBot Rescue, Amplitude and many other games in many other genres be improved just by being "helped" by Platinum?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the love for Vanquish. It's kind of cool combat in a supremely mediocre, dare I say generic sci fi world.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No man. They need to first focus on helping their own sub-teams on their own games. TMNT and Transformers could have used more time in the oven easily

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's not their game. PG has no games. As developpers, they were pretty successful at doing their job. As for game performance, that is up to the publisher. NieR Automata is a success because it was appealing to people and properly marketed. If PG would develop Monster Hunter World 2, it'd still be successful. If they developed God Hand 2, it'd still bomb (unfortunately :( )

This seems like an oversimplification. The developer is responsible for how the game turns out. Translating the director's vision into something playable.

A good dev will make a good game. A BAD dev makes bad games.

Nier being a unique but most importantly WELL PLAYING game is what led to high scores, positive word of mouth, and excellent sales.

Marketing is important but can only take you so far. Look at where Fallout 76 is right now. Great marketing, appealing franchise, steaming failure pile of an actual game with sales to match.

God Hand 2 if developed with an actual budget and appealing gameplay could certainly move copies. Monster Hunter World developed by Bethesda, Acclaim, or LJN probably wouldn't.

Oct 25, 2017
The love that Platinum Games gets around here staggers me sometimes. I just don't see the quality in most of their games, Bayo aside. They usually aren't very fun to play, combat is actually generally braindead in many of their action combat games, and the art direction of their games usually isn't to my taste, either.

I want them as far away from the games that I enjoy as possible, tbh. I'm glad that they exist because they clearly serve the interests of a group of people out there, but I am not at all in that group.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I'll echo sentiment shared by many others in this thread.

Thats a big no.

They created a good battle system, but they keep leveraging that mechanic over and over again.

I hope they rework the system with Bayo 3. And get rid of the stupid ass QTEs for fucks sake.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Considering that Nier Automata's best feature is that the combat can be completely automated - maybe they're not the best supplemental studio.

Not to mention the fact Star Fox Zero is probably the worst first party release of the entire last console generation.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Is everyone forgetting Star Fox Zero or what's the story here?

And the most frustrating shit ever is Nier's awesome combat system hidden behind overpowered RPG mechanics, ridiculous character/enemy level-based damage scaling, and hacking being a bizarre get out of jail free card.

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Platinum though.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love P*, but no. Imagine a combat system similar to Bayonetta for BotW...it would be cool the first 20 hours but after that fighting enemies would become a slog and would terribly damage exploration. BotW´s combat has room for improvement, but an over the top combo-based combat system isn´t the right answer as it will frontally clash wth the rest of design elements of the game.

Besides, outside of combat systems I don´t find P* is that good...the minigames in Bayonetta 1, 2 and TW101 were the weakest parts of those games by far, specially in Bayo1 and Star Fox Zero wasn´t stellar either.

I think they should focus on what they do best and try to keep on evolving the combat genre with new and imaginative combat systems.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yoko Taro literally saved their ass by allowing them to inject some solid but bland combat in Nier Automata.
No thanks.

OP
OP
Cryptosporidium
Oct 25, 2017
canada
All they did for NieR: Automata was give good combat to what would've been an excellent game with subpar combat otherwise.

P* games are mostly not for me. They're for the twitchy, high skill gamer who loves to replay games in higher difficulties and mastering its systems. That... doesn't describe me in the least.

They did everything

The camera angles, shooter sections, character animation

They are as Gods

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I fucking love me some Platinum games, but I switched Nier Automata to easy and rushed through it because the combat became tedious with stupid difficulty spikes, and conversely I enjoyed BotW for almost a 100 hours, so those first few paragraphs are about as far from my truth as possible.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
When i think of them i think of combat. When i played Witcher 3 i couldn't help but to imagine how that game would have been if they helped out in the combat department.