• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what a pleasant surprise.^_^ Platinum games collab with Ninty is really going everywhere.^_^

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not usually into Platinum games but the companions that are like the Stands in Jojo very much interest me. When I get a Switch I'll likely buy this game.

Oct 27, 2017
What is ghost in the shell?

GiTS is a good show and manga, is what it is. But the paramilitary existence of Section 9 is troubling. However, a lot of the story is often about how shadow aspects of the government are untrustworthy and the narrative and characters are subversive in a number of ways. It's a mixed and complicated bag. I mean, several characters struggle with the fact that their past military history means that the government owns their bodies. The troubling relationship of state and industry and its dominating force over individual identity and agency is the substance of many GiTS stories.

That's all mixed in with many varieties of gratuity. Cyberpunk, as a genre, has an ongoing tension between its potential for critique and its consumer-friendly spectacle. A major danger when incorporating the style of cyberpunk with protagonists who are authoritarian agents is the loss of that critique. GiTS manages, in many instances, to work through that danger, although there are periods when it drops the ball. Other cybercop stories drop the ball more often.

Another example - Robocop remains interesting to me primarily because of Voerhoeven's methods of subversion. Unfortunately, like Starship Troopers, the critique is/was often missed by audiences. The case can be made, then, that the possibilities of critique through cyberpunk are not worth the risks of its style.

Anyway, have another gif from the Astral Chains trailer.

O9Bx8Cd.gif

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There are more screenshots on the Japanese introduction page: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/f3038339-284c-11e9-b104-0a6d14145cb1.html

There will be a Collector's Edition in Japan with OST and artbook: https://store.nintendo.co.jp/item/HAC_R_AB48A.html

Official Japanese site says the game is 1-2 players: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/ab48a/index.html
Resolution seems to vary in combat as those screenshots look noticeably rougher.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
00001461_03.jpg

Ok, the setting is fantastic. Just stunning.

Guess I need to watch Psycho Pass.
it apparently shits itself near the end...so I guess not.

Season one is great, more so the last 6 episodes.

Psycho Pass is similar due to the narrator's (the villain?) talk in the video and the aesthetic.

But it also reminds me very much of Ga-Rei Zero's first episode which was very sad.

It has a psycho pass vibe alright, but I am not how to describe it... Why did you have to talk about Ga Rei Zero... I still feel bad about Yomi... ;_;

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Nier Automata yet, but I'm liking that seems to have more variety than your typical Platinum game and there's some fresh mechanics.

Music is fantastic.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool. Can't wait to learn more gameplay details.
It seems you can control 2 characters at once.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tiny shorts and thigh highs, totally original design there. It would be nice if they just for once had the women in full combat trousers. I don't know why i'm surprised anymore.

That aside it looks pretty cool, I like the look of the tron like bikes.
If you know anything about the character designer, you would know he is hired to do exactly this. The cyberpunk Era is 80s, so they hired the 80s artist to do his thing. Conservative clothing is not cyberpunk. This game is positively retro.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me way too much of Monolith Soft's games. Hopefully it's more like their games and less like Platinum's.......

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Yo, I know that we choose between hot pants and generic anime guy but can we replace the generic anime guy with that buff looking dude with the glasses?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
In the grand scheme of things, the Direct was great. We've already prior knowledge of two titles hitting in 2019 (Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing), and this delivered with a handful more announcements and exposure for other known titles (eg: Daemon x Machina). A new Mario Maker and exclusive Platinum title are big wins. The only real shame is the emphasis in Q3/Q4 releases for 2019, leaving Q2 also quite dry. But it is what it is, and I've long attested that Nintedo works on fiscal years, not calendar. So their lineup really doesn't end until end of March 2020.

It's also worth noting this is obviously not the only Direct we're getting this year. It's only mid February. We'll get another in June, and maybe another general one towards the end of the year. This excludes title-specific Directs, of which we're also likely to get.

As a side, particularly for those disappointed and also regular posters here, I'd like to note that leaker culture has a severely detrimental impact on the reception of Directs and unfairly so. This is not the fault of leakers, so much as the online culture (particularly here, where it is heavy, on ResetEra) surrounding leakers, sources, and posters known to tease and hint at either Direct dates and/or titles in development and when they are to be announced.

It's just the nature of things, but it transforms the excitement and anticipation of Directs, namely due to the unknown nature of their content, into a strange Leaker Bingo where an assortment of rumours and gossip become a checklist of are-they-real as the Direct streams. Viewers fixate on outcomes and remaining time, waiting for stuff they think might be real because someone-said-a-thing and, if it's not, or if time is spent on something else (like, in this case, Fire Emblem) get frustrated that there isn't much time left to show X, or disappointment that X never eventuated.

In the grand scheme of things, it's really very silly, and erodes the actual intent of the Directs. They're not Leaker Bingo. They're supposed to be fresh.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That's not even talking about the same thing....
It's talking about how thigh gap has become/is becoming a point of obsession in society/certain circles and how its prevalence, much like other beauty standards being pushed by all sorts of media, can create somewhat unrealistic expectations on how some women (or especially younger girls) view how their bodies should be, which isn't a good thing. So no, thigh gaps in itself isn't a bad thing but considering Japanese & Platinum's pedigree with female characters, I wouldn't discount the possibility that they've done it because they think thigh gaps are totally hot and want their female characters to intentionally have it. And that's kinda iffy.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me way too much of Monolith Soft's games. Hopefully it's more like their games and less like Platinum's.......
How would you get the notion in any sense that this game, developed by Platinum, might play like a game developed by an entirely different company because of aesthetic similarities in the art style?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
And people were thinking DMC 5 was gonna be the action game of the year.... lol

Not super crazy about the character designs, but everything else is magnificent.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's talking about how thigh gap has become/is becoming a point of obsession in society/certain circles and how its prevalence, much like other beauty standards being pushed by all sorts of media, can create somewhat unrealistic expectations on how some women (or especially younger girls) view how their bodies should be, which isn't a good thing. So no, thigh gaps in itself isn't a bad thing but considering Japanese & Platinum's pedigree with female characters, I wouldn't discount the possibility that they've done it because they think thigh gaps are totally hot and want their female characters to intentionally have it. And that's kinda iffy.
They hired a manga artist to do the character designs.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yo this game looks fucking phenomenal. Like, seriously impressive.

The setting and style are pretty much my jam x 100, and the action looks (predictably) great. Y'all, we are getting a new Platinum IP that looks aces. Plus these visuals are really good for the Switch.

HYPE

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Holy shit, this looks awesome. Day 1 purchase.

I love Platinum and will always be interested in anything they do. God damn. Their games kick so much ass. And this looks like yet another banger. smh, so good...

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see that some folks are under the impression that the female character is sexist because...she's wearing shorts thus exposing her thigh. So far I have see the comments to be from men, so I am going to throw this question to the women.

Are you in agreement or are you fine with it? I am actually interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How would you get the notion in any sense that this game, developed by Platinum, might play like a game developed by an entirely different company because of aesthetic similarities in the art style?

When did I say I thought this PG game would play like a Monolith Soft game? I said I hoped it would when it was first announced. By using the word "hope", I expected it was obvious that I meant it as in: my first impression when watching the trailer was that this was a Monolith Soft game, which had me excited. The following announcement that this was a PG game dampened said excitement quite a bit.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited Taura gets to have his directorial debut, with an original IP no less. Still I wish Kenji Saito would get another shot with a "more standard" dev time and budget.