• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
He doesn't seem very forward thinking. It's more of the same with like 5x the performance. It opens up possibilities that weren't there before. It's like saying games like Witcher 3 would have been the same game if it released during the PS3/360 generation. The less concessions devs have to make when developing their games the better.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This sort of sounds like a desire to play some kind of weird points game. "Where's the hype!?"

Innovation has always come from the games, sans maybe the introduction of motion control with the Wii, which we can all see now didn't last too long. Neither of Sony's or Microsoft's consoles since they entered the games market were innovative from a tech standpoint. The PS2 was a stronger, faster PS1. The PS3 was a stronger, faster PS2. PS4-> PS3 and the same with Xbox to 360 to XBO. Some things like social sharing began, but that didn't change the games themselves.

It'll be similar next gen and that's okay. Having more democratized and simpler platforms also allows far easier access for all kinds of smaller studios, which experiment a ton in their games.

Doesn't sound like you are looking at this from the perspective of who was being interviewed.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good. You want more Cell, Emotion Engines? For what? The they is already there. No need for costum garbage that is a nightmare for devs.
New console generation = Faster, more powerful hardware. And that's great.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They're just noisy PC's in a small box, they're pretty boring. I used to get excited as fuck with consoles like the N64 or the first Playstation but they're all the same now. I'm not even against it, it just is what it is.

Reading about the PS2 emotion engine in some magazine was exciting, you don't get that anymore.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This sort of sounds like a desire to play some kind of weird points game. "Where's the hype!?"

Innovation has always come from the games, sans maybe the introduction of motion control with the Wii, which we can all see now didn't last too long. Neither of Sony's or Microsoft's consoles since they entered the games market were innovative from a tech standpoint. The PS2 was a stronger, faster PS1. The PS3 was a stronger, faster PS2. PS4-> PS3 and the same with Xbox to 360 to XBO. Some things like social sharing began, but that didn't change the games themselves.

It'll be similar next gen and that's okay. Having more democratized and simpler platforms also allows far easier access for all kinds of smaller studios, which experiment a ton in their games.

There used to be a lot of hardware innovation (Motion controls, rumble pack, SEGA's all kinds of crazy Dreamcast controllers + the VMU) but that's besides the point. The dependence on hardware innovation + the trend of custom chips gave a completely different feeling in new hardware arrival. There used to be more hype surrounding new hardware and it doesn't really matter where it ended (most of the time nowhere I guess?), it's not there anymore because everything has become standardised.

I mean, if you look back at it, most of the hardware manufacturers claims were completely bollocks, but we're talking about hype and excitement about new hardware. Hype doesn't equal reality, not all the time.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing the wrong interpretations in this thread..... Anyway, he's right. With a high end PC ( with ssd for games) you already have the next gen Xbox for example.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm honestly shocked how much is wrong with this post

hopefully this is satire and I just missed the context

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong. This is the least hyped I've been for an upcoming console generation since, ever. I have a decent PC that I intend to upgrade and there's been like no incentive to really look into the new console stuff. Sony typically at least has exclusives from Japan.

Nothing has even been revealed yet other than the CPU/GPU architecture and fast loading times/SSD read speeds. What in the world got you excited for past consoles?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inaba: "It's better for the consumer but I'm kinda nostalgic for when console internals were more customized and it was more interesting"

This thread: "More like your stupid idiot fucking face you ugly game moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Yep, some REAL GAMERS itt.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Having two virtually identical, closed-ecosystem, budget-PC boxes on the market does become rather uninteresting and stale from an enthusiast standpoint. The difference for the consumer basically comes down to what interface they like best and which games they'd like to play. At that point you may as well get rid of the requirement to own a particular box, like Microsoft are doing.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I see what he is saying but people in this forum will take it the wrong way.

Edit: To clarify he is wanting something more innovative like the concept of the switch, or VR, or Stadia, or AR, instead of just a same old home tv counter box with some upgraded parts.

He was expecting MS and Sony to make some crazy tech like foldable phones. I'm not sure why though.
Quote says before consoles had tech that wasn't found on pc. Even says that the switch also just uses a tegra. He wants to see something similar in the vein of what was done way back. Something that cant be found elsewhere.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason is that tech is so established only AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ARM can give you cutting edge performance. These companies literally have hundreds of thousands of man years invested in their iterative tech, not too mention a fortress of patents. You cant possibly hope to compete in even a few years time.

PS2 was really the last gen where Sony could design the chips and have it be competitive.

They tried with PS3 but could only handle the CPU side with Cell. They had to use Nvidia for the GPU. At that they had to collaborate with IBM for even the CPU. There were rumors of a multi-cell PS3 design, where one Cell was the GPU and a 2nd cell was the CPU. It would have been utterly destroyed by 360 in GPU power. That's why they switched to Nvidia.

So yeah, you can do bespoke tech, if you want to be very underpowered vs the competition and lose.

I do agree with the sentiment though, the current state of affairs is boring. Sony's SSD tech sounds like "new:" thing, but I'm sure it's not,

Exactly. The era where big electronics companies like Sony or Panasonic or can be competitive in chip design is long gone. Companies specializing in that stuff have been iterating for decades now to the point that no one can compete with what they have to offer.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having two virtually identical, closed-ecosystem, budget-PC boxes on the market does become rather uninteresting and stale from an enthusiast standpoint. The difference for the consumer basically comes down to what interface they like best and which games they'd like to play. At that point you may as well get rid of the requirement to own a particular box, like Microsoft are doing.

Seriously, though, for me, it's always been about which games I'd like to play. Nothing else mattered much.

Quirky hardware and development environments do not lead to us getting more high quality and innovative games.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean he is right from the standpoint of stuff like the cell and the Xbox 360 early multi thread cpu were cool from a tech standpoint. Buts it far better for consumers and development that consoles have gone x86.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You can accuse Inaba of having a too romantic view on specialized hardware, but other than that I don't think it's too hard to figure out where he is coming from and I don't think his response warrants any of these shallow-ass jabs against him, PlatinumGames as a studio or their previous work

grand

Oct 25, 2017
In this thread people are shocked & outraged that the Producer of Steel Battalion wishes consoles were more unique.

Oct 31, 2017
Could say the same about Platinum games baby

Lol, some of you are really trying too hard when it comes to PG.

At least, next time, take the time to read the OP/article before posting :P

And yet Metal Gear Rising ran much better on the vastly more conventional 360 than the super unique PS3.

Framerate was more consistent on 360 yeah, but not vastly better (while the PS3 version had better cutscenes).

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing the wrong interpretations in this thread..... Anyway, he's right. With a high end PC ( with ssd for games) you already have the next gen Xbox for example.

So what? Building a PC is just not going to be in the cards for a lot of people. Having a curated experience with an Xbox for a reasonable price is still a very appealing option. There hasn't been a single Xbox system that could do more than a high-end PC at the time. It just comes down to what content is available and how easy the experience is for the players.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't spend so much time parsing his every word, but look at the overall general sentiment. That is to say, he is simply lamenting that every year it's more of the same, just bigger, faster, and stronger. The videogame fan in him, and many of us who agree, wish that a little bit more experimentation and customization went into a new console (e.g. basically Nintendo consoles over the years). Sure, they may fail, but at least they are trying something new.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this thread people are shocked & outraged that the Producer of Steel Battalion wishes consoles were more unique.

The Xbox wasn't all that unique. He can still make wacky-ass controllers for a crazy project if he finds someone willing to fund it.

That's a perfect example of game innovation over hardware chipset innovation.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't spend so much time parsing his every word, but look at the overall general sentiment. That is to say, he is simply lamenting that every year it's more of the same, just bigger, faster, and stronger. The videogame fan in him, and many of us who agree, wish that a little bit more experimentation and customization went into a new console (e.g. basically Nintendo consoles over the years). Sure, they may fail, but at least they are trying something new.

Excluding accessories and the DS series, it's really only been the Wii and Wii U that offered unique gimmicks that couldn't be done elsewhere.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It's time.
876ea71c93734efdd23b8b210229b068.jpg

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
In the mere sense of technology, stadia is very interesting. Software as a service is more and more prevalent in many different industries, it is difficult to understand why Games are so slow with it.
Streaming is a different avenue, not just the only one avenue for releasing games.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Exoticism in consoles was a fun thing to talk about in the schoolyard, but the last generation of truly exotic silicon was expensive for customers to buy. Which is more important to preserve? The uniqueness of CPUs, GPUs, and systems-on-chip? Or their accessibility?

If he's bothered more that we're just sitting in front of televisions and monitors, then the required change in medium to make Platinum happy has to come from companies outside of the console business and not just from the console business. Does the core visual practice need to change? Are slabs of screens the boring part? Does he prefer all devices to revolve around the delivery of VR or "simstim" or some other core solution? Maybe the hardware concept behind the Switch is the shift they could get behind, regardless of what's powering it?

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
For someone who started working in the videogame industry in 1990, I totally understand the feeling of being "bored" by the PS4/5&Xbone/Scarlet hardware jump compared to all the hardware he saw in his carreer.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
This shouldn't be surprising. People in Engineering and Tech fields are apt to like problem solving(I sure as hell do), and he recognizes that it's in the consumers best interest to use off the shelf parts. It's probably in just about all developers' best interests too, no matter where the passion lies.

Also, people are missing that he thinks the Switch is boring too, so basically no hardware out that gets him excited.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with him.

A generation switch nowadays is kinda just... business as usual. I'm not really that excited for new hardware anymore. The only exception for me this generation was the Switch, but nowadays it's all just such a formality. The hardware isn't anything to be hyped about anymore, as much as the games that will inevitably come to it. I feel like the middle-gen solutions like the Pro and X just exacerbated how little I look forward to seeing PS5 and Scarlett.

The best thing that came from this generation switch was the adoption of unified architecture that allows porting to be done easier. Now more games are making their way to PC than ever before.

You can accuse Inaba of having a too romantic view on specialized hardware, but other than that I don't think it's too hard to figure out where he is coming from and I don't think his response warrants any of these shallow-ass jabs against him, PlatinumGames as a studio or their previous work
Real talk, some petty-ass mfs in this topic.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Quote says before consoles had tech that wasn't found on pc. Even says that the switch also just uses a tegra. He wants to see something similar in the vein of what was done way back. Something that cant be found elsewhere.

Honestly only Nintendo was really known for this. Sony had the CD, DVD, and the Cell. That's it. Xbox had hard drives, Xbox live, and was a part of the modern controller design. That's it. Nintendo had Switch, Wii, Virtual Boy, Game boy, Wii U, Tiny console(GameCube), DS, and 3DS. They were the ones really throwing tech out there and seeing what sticks.

If that is truly what he wants then he should keep a closer eye on Nintendo instead of getting disappointed by the 4k twins.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more than happy to hear your thoughts on it.

I mean, the list is pretty long but honestly given how ill informed you seem to be about hardware innovation in the gaming space I'd recommend going through all the consoles that have come out as they released and make note of the innovations that occurred, even just surface level stuff like inputs or physical media, and then go forward and see what became standardized. and then consider the more technical side of things like graphics and sound. so that's for your claim about the only innovation on the hardware being motion controls. next we go to the claim that motion controls didn't last too long which I honestly don't even know what to say there. just look around. 'nuff said honestly. just crazy stuff tbh but hopefully that helps.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess he's missing the taste of some secret sauce.

Like it's been mentioned, it's a somewhat romantic viewpoint of changing generations, and in some way he has a point in that console warring aside (for some) it ain't really that exciting. PS5 and Xbox2 will have essentially the same architecture, which is basically off-the-shelf PC technology.

I guess Inaba also yearns for the days of Krazy Ken.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
What? Does he mean exotic stuff like PS2 Cell? The new generation cycles that forced devs to relearn new hardware each time? The same cool exotic stuff that inevitably falls behind pc hardware after a few years?
I remember western devs doing great with ps3 but all but the big japanese devs struggling with it. That doesn't sound like fun to me.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As others have said, you will never hear about an "Emotion Engine" again from a hardware manufacturer. Never. Did it account to anything? No, not really. But the hype and excitement did, the same with the hype surrounding the SNES and Genesis, PSX and N64, the Dreamcast and PS2, the Wii and the PS3, even the VR generation.

It was all real until (most of the time) it wasn't, but custom chips and hardware experimentations made for very exciting times that you will not get with turbo specced PC boxes. If you can't understand this very simple perspective, I dunno...

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So what? I brought an entirely new way to play. Sure, it theoretically existed with Nvidia's Shield before and other Android-based devices, but no one used that shit. Nintendo polished it and brought it to the masses.
Inaba is just saying, in prior generations you used to have things unique to the console like the Cell Processor or other unique internals their competitors didn't have that made them different from a reconstructed PC. It likely is boring seeing how similar tech has gotten within the industry with the twins just taking PC parts and using it in their systems. He's nostalgic for when companies were trying new things unique to their systems, Google is trying that with Stadia which is a full streaming platform that uses Vulkan, whether that works out, we will see.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what he wanted. Hardware gimmicks? We're at a point where the only thing that will change is performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.