• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I disagree. It seems as if some kind of ray tracing is becoming mainstream in these new consoles. Far earlier than many people assumed even just a few short months ago. That is a huge change and I presume the tech is here to stay and will get exponentially better the gen after this one. That's exciting, that's opening the door to honest to god photo-realism, and that's no bad thing at all.

I'm also very excited about the thought of basically instant loading and all the changes to game design that could bring, plus the overall snappiness of everything.

Also these consoles and upcoming eye tracking tech that is now feasible, combined with the new techniques that take advantage of that technology, could literally see VR graphics that are generations ahead of what they can produce on a TV screen (foveated rendering and AI filling out the peripheral vision meaning huge resources can go into rendering the very narrow area the player is directly looking at). Now that's just insane and I seriously hope we're going to get that this gen with PSVR2.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Last time we tried funky fresh hardware, we got crazy Ken's PS3; and you couldn't get Bayonetta to work properly on it. So no, weird chips aren't good for players; hardware that enables developers to easily program great software is far more compelling.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
He's not wrong. This is the least hyped I've been for an upcoming console generation since, ever. I have a decent PC that I intend to upgrade and there's been like no incentive to really look into the new console stuff. Sony typically at least has exclusives from Japan.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
i think it's way better like this because it makes porting easier. which is better for us and devs. and it's part of why switch is getting more games that you couldn't even dream of for wii u.

i really dont get this take tbh

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
what does that have to do with him commenting on the state of console technology currently. it's like you're grasping for straws just to attack someone making an oblique remark about stagnation in the hardware space.
Um... it has everything to do with it lol

PS3 and 360 and Wii were not more of the same. And it led to disasters like Bayonetta on PS3 or Black Ops 1 PS3 (Vita native resolution). It was very hard for developers to work on an obtuse machine like the PS3 and it's cell processor.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
So he wants the CELL? Well good for him but thank goodness he isn't in charge of any hardware decisions.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Inaba: "It's better for the consumer but I'm kinda nostalgic for when console internals were more customized and it was more interesting"

This thread: "More like your stupid idiot fucking face you ugly game moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Honestly, I couldn't succinctly write it better.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd think the head of a studio that specializes in action games would actually appreciate hardware that would help them to achieve higher and more stable framerates. Then again, their games are hit and miss in that department as well for the most part.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Better than unique hardware like the PS3. As for new styles of control, many 3rd parties weren't so interested in releasing their same games on a platform like the Wii.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This thread makes my head hurt... Jesus Christ with some of the comments.

Next gen hardware is NOT exciting anymore, by default. Last generation was the beginning of the end for exotic hardware iterations. This doesn't mean that games cannot be better or exciting with every new gen, but we used to have the speculation, hype, and delirious claims from developers and hardware makers by the coming of every new gen, and now we look into "look, our new console has a custom SSD" statements to draw excitement from.

This is where Inaba is coming from, imo.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
He's not wrong. This is the least hyped I've been for an upcoming console generation since, ever. I have a decent PC that I intend to upgrade and there's been like no incentive to really look into the new console stuff. Sony typically at least has exclusives from Japan.

yeah but ps5/scarlett having some custom architecture wouldnt make you more hype

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I feel like the innovation comes from VR which also offers an entirely new way to control games with advance motion controls and such.

Not sure what Platinum wants but personally I am happy with what we know about next gen consoles (better graphics, fast SSD, game streaming) and combining this with next gen VR (PS5 at least) and I would say there is a lot of innovation going on.

I don't care for Platinum Games at all but I won't take a pot shot at their work but I find it disappointing to hear how they are feeling towards next gen when I have not been this excited in many years personally.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last time we tried funky fresh hardware, we got crazy Ken's PS3; and you couldn't get Bayonetta to work properly on it. So no, weird chips aren't good for players; hardware that enables developers to easily program great software is far more compelling.
he's not talking about missing unique architectures though. he misses innovation in terms of the experience.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
I can see where he's coming from. Gone are the days of "secret sauce," or watching a console evolve throughout a console cycle. The power is pretty much untapped out of the gate. Gone are the days of waiting for that one developer to release a game that seemingly unlocked a new tier of potential for a console.

Sure, it had its annoyances, but it was also fun watching a generation of console evolve. Running out of the gate, with not much graphical, AI, system differences, as the games that were at launch, isn't as exciting. At least for me, it isn't. I can see the benefit of the latter, though. But being invested in the hobby, it feels kind of dull.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Um... it has everything to do with it lol

PS3 and 360 and Wii were not more of the same. And it led to disasters like Bayonetta on PS3 or Black Ops 1 PS3 (Vita native resolution). It was very hard for developers to work on an obtuse machine like the PS3 and it's cell processor.
So the PS3 being the only weird outlier nullifies any other machine with different architecture or a distinct concept? You even bring up the Wii, a console they developed for, while there's also the Wii U, another console they've shown to be capable working with.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I agree with him in that the hardware is kind of boring.
It's nothing the consumer would or should be concerned about, but as someone interested in both software and hardware design, it would be more fun if there was something new or different. Maybe we'll at least get some custom RT additions (as hinted by Sony and MS).

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear, mods need to institute some kind of reading comprehension test before people are allowed to post. Judging by the way topics like this go, you'd think no one in Gaming-Side has the ability to read beyond a single sentence.

It's like an endless parade of clowns trying to make some shitty hot-take that's just variants of "OH YEAH WELL PLATINUM = BAD LMAO IDEOT" instead of reading the article and figuring out where Inaba is coming from.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Next gen hardware is NOT exciting anymore, by default. Last generation was the beginning of the end for exotic hardware iterations. This doesn't mean that games cannot be better or exciting with every new gen, but we used to have the speculation, hype, and delirious claims from developers and hardware makers by the coming of every new gen, and now we look into "look, our new console has a custom SSD" statements to draw excitement from.

This is where Inaba is coming from, imo.
This sort of sounds like a desire to play some kind of weird points game. "Where's the hype!?"

Innovation has always come from the games, sans maybe the introduction of motion control with the Wii, which we can all see now didn't last too long. Neither of Sony's or Microsoft's consoles since they entered the games market were innovative from a tech standpoint. The PS2 was a stronger, faster PS1. The PS3 was a stronger, faster PS2. PS4-> PS3 and the same with Xbox to 360 to XBO. Some things like social sharing began, but that didn't change the games themselves.

It'll be similar next gen and that's okay. Having more democratized and simpler platforms also allows far easier access for all kinds of smaller studios, which experiment a ton in their games.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I get it, but at this point, I don't think consumers really want anything disruptive from these two consoles. Faster, better, and more powerful is perfectly fine by me, supported by good software and services that take advantage of current/future displays and audio technology. That's really all I care about.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I'll take more of the same with more power than dumb gimmicks any day. Not a single one has lasted more than a generation for a reason.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
So the PS3 being the only weird outlier nullifies any other machine with different architecture or a distinct concept? You even bring up the Wii, a console they developed for, while there's also the Wii U, another console they've shown to be capable working with.
While they can work on a lot of different architecture, when's the last time they nailed the framerate? All I know is that Platinum is synonymous with framedrops.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
He isn't wrong, but that's exactly what most of us want.

Inaba: "It's better for the consumer but I'm kinda nostalgic for when console internals were more customized and it was more interesting"

This thread: "More like your stupid idiot fucking face you ugly game moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

lol yup.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what's so controversial about what he said. He just pointed out the new consoles are made up of parts that already exist. He even said for consumers it'll be good, it's just boring from the perspective of someone who makes games.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I swear, mods need to institute some kind of reading comprehension test before people are allowed to post. Judging by the way topics like this go, you'd think no one in Gaming-Side has the ability to read beyond a single sentence.

It's like an endless parade of clowns trying to make some shitty hot-take that's just variants of "OH YEAH WELL PLATINUM = BAD LMAO IDEOT" instead of reading the article and figuring out where Inaba is coming from.

Complains about systems now using off the self parts (gross over simplification) rather than bleeding edge custom solutions, correctly gets laughed at as the gaming industry moves beyond CELL POWER and KINECT to hardware agnostic platforms.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get what he's saying. He's not saying the new systems are bad, he's just being kind of nostalgic about the old days where everything new felt weird and different. It was a more exciting time, just emotionally, I guess.

These days consoles have honed in on a very particular model, which is fine I guess if it works, though not quite as interesting.

Oct 26, 2017
Good Lord, there's a lifetime supply of salt in this thread. He didn't as so much attack those systems as say that he misses those days where hardware was more exotic and different. Not something most developers miss mind you and he himself acknowledges that it's better for hardware to be more standard. Oh well, whatever is necessary to defend any perceived slights

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I say this as a PC gamer who will be one of the last cloud holdouts but the truth is clear: the hardware you play on will increasingly not matter as time goes on. As long as games run at high framerates, high resolution, and with low latency most people won't care about what is powering their games.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
His thoughts makes sense.

PS and XB want backwards compatibility. Rather than having to emulate like in the past. In order to do that its better to go in a direction where their systems are pretty much mini-PC's in terms of their internals meaning its easier to have that capability in the future. So as he says, its more of the same its better specs every few years in the same architecture for a new system is all that changes (apart from extra features).

Consumers of the twins want decent specs at a low cost. So both companies are giving what they want.

Last edited:

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This sort of sounds like a desire to play some kind of weird points game. "Where's the hype!?"

Innovation has always come from the games, sans maybe the introduction of motion control with the Wii, which we can all see now didn't last too long. Neither of Sony's or Microsoft's consoles since they entered the games market were innovative from a tech standpoint. The PS2 was a stronger, faster PS1. The PS3 was a stronger, faster PS2. PS4-> PS3 and the same with Xbox to 360 to XBO. Some things like social sharing began, but that didn't change the games themselves.

It'll be similar next gen and that's okay. Having more democratized and simpler platforms also allows far easier access for all kinds of smaller studios, which experiment a ton in their games.

Well hey that's what Inaba said

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
he's not talking about missing unique architectures though. he misses innovation in terms of the experience.

That's the weird thing - he's not. Check the OP - he specifically bemoans off the shelf chips. And that would be fine if he and Platinum had been able to make something like the cell processor sing, but Bayonetta's PS3 performance versus the 360 was the go-to example of weird architecture hurting performance, despite being ostensibly more powerful.

Nov 2, 2017
People are expecting way too much
It's going to be a 12-13 TF consoles which would put it as a high end GPU in 2019. The pro revisions really limited how far they could.improve things.

CPU will see the biggest leap
It's always midrange GPUs from the year before that go into consoles though, which means a custom version of the Navi cards that were recently announced. AMD doesn't even have a high end card right now.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the weird thing - he's not. Check the OP - he specifically bemoans off the shelf chips. And that would be fine if he and Platinum had been able to make something like the cell processor sing, but Bayonetta's PS3 performance versus the 360 was the go-to example of weird architecture hurting performance, despite being ostensibly more powerful.
oh, yeah, fair enough. that's weird.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Inaba is apparently much more excited about cloud platforms like Stadia cause at least it is something different

I'm personally with him, it's hard to be excited as something that is always "just a little bit better than the previous one" with nothing that is truly revolutional, nothing you can't already have on PC.

He's right on the money when he said that game hardware used to be something completely new or custom, while now it's almost like selling an assembled PC.

I'm still hoping for some new innovative feature, even if it is software, like when Google announced State Share for Stadia at GDC, i think people have yet to realize how cool that could be.

The reason is that tech is so established only AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ARM can give you cutting edge performance. These companies literally have hundreds of thousands of man years invested in their iterative tech, not too mention a fortress of patents. You cant possibly hope to compete in even a few years time.

PS2 was really the last gen where Sony could design the chips and have it be competitive.

They tried with PS3 but could only handle the CPU side with Cell. They had to use Nvidia for the GPU. At that they had to collaborate with IBM for even the CPU. There were rumors of a multi-cell PS3 design, where one Cell was the GPU and a 2nd cell was the CPU. It would have been utterly destroyed by 360 in GPU power. That's why they switched to Nvidia.

So yeah, you can do bespoke tech, if you want to be very underpowered vs the competition and lose.

I do agree with the sentiment though, the current state of affairs is boring. Sony's SSD tech sounds like "new:" thing, but I'm sure it's not,

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Complains about systems now using off the self parts (gross over simplification) rather than bleeding edge custom solutions, correctly gets laughed at as the gaming industry moves beyond CELL POWER and KINECT to hardware agnostic platforms.
More like "expresses slight disappointment at next-gen using off-the-shelf components, explains how this will be good overall for the industry even though he personally isn't the biggest fan of it, gamers piss their pants in anger and tells how Platinum REALLY is trash for doubting the PS5 and Scarlett".

He even acknowledges his viewpoint may not be on the mark since this style has more benefits than downsides. Even then, his ultimate point is that the new generation of consoles focus on improving things instead of trying to do something radical with their internals. He's not saying "I MISS CELL" or "MOAR KINECT PLS", he's just saying he's not a big fan of companies buying their next-gen upgrades instead of developing new architectures in-house. That's why he points to cloud gaming, which seems to be the next big radical shift for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.