• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly that's what I want. Give me a beefier PS4 with back compat on the level that Xbox has and I'm good. Anything else is what my PC is for and Switch fills that 'interesting' niche

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus @ the defensive replies attacking him. Why do we have to react this way?

In any case, he's not wrong. I personally don't mind it so much given it ultimately means we get consoles that tend to be cheaper and more reliable, and that still provide really amazing results. But part of me does miss the days of gen 7, when Nintendo brought on motion controls, and the consoles had crazy proprietary tech.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Of course boss would talk blah blah generic shit. Let's ask about actual developers who code,design the game. Nobody wants CELL shit again

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There's always VR. You can't do unique chips that beat PC's anymore, unless you want console makers to bleed money. There's a reason the PS4 and Switch are massive success stories.
Also, everyone saw what happened with the PS3. Sony lost billions. It was a real-life case study of what NOT to do lol.

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
He's right. Slapping another set of AMD parts into a metal/plastic shell is something I do on my own for fun.

In no way does this have a bearing on game quality. But people here will get mad regardless.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
He's not saying streaming is better, he's saying that at least that is something completely new, while on the other hand the two consoles feel another mid-gen upgrade that we conventionally decide to call it next gen.

Where's the innovation?

mid-gen upgrade? I don't think so.

Consoles do not need to have custom processors and gpus. That hinders optimization across them and pc and can make for some terrible ports.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I don't follow.. is he referring to the games themselves or game development? progression in games from PS1->PS2->PS3 didn't happen because of costume chips or lack thereof
On the other hand the Switch uses off the shelf parts but it's the most refreshing use of hardware in years

I don't really get his point because he specifically talks about chips etc

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
He's not saying streaming is better, he's saying that at least that is something completely new, while on the other hand the two consoles feel another mid-gen upgrade that we conventionally decide to call it next gen.

Where's the innovation?
More power leads to new ideas that couldn't have been done before.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of salty spite in here for a comment about a console not even revealed yet is hilarious.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Where's this shit that "stadia is something completely unique" coming from when it's just running on servers using the exact same off the shelf parts that consoles/PCs use?

If you're gonna argue that it's because it's delivered over the internet (a vastly inferior delivery method compared to my HDMI cable), then my PS4's Remote Play already does that. Literally all Stadia does compared to that is put the box in another location. Incredible custom-built innovations.

Edit: The Switch Joycons and especially PSVR are far more innovative than Stadia or any other streaming service.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you're a great programmer it's easier to stand out with custom hardware because you figure it out quicker and squeeze more out of it.

I thought Stadia was mostly preexisting AMD stuff though, or are they paying AMD for semi custom?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I agree. It's hard to be excited about next gen consoles as someone who doesn't care for crazy graphics and visual fidelity. It's just a bunch of PCs
Next gen VR and other stuff is much more interesting

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I agree to some degree but using less custom and more off the shelf or similar does have its benefits.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Is he really asking for custom hardware that is going to be harder to develop for? Wasn't the entire point of moving to x86 to help devs who already know how to developer for similar architectures?

I mean, does he remember how Bayonetta ran on the PS3?

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility towards another member, User has been given past warnings over of this kind of behavior in other threads
Did he make a comment about your children or something?

Jesus Christ, gamers.
Is he your child or something?

Dude says thing is more of the same. I laugh because his company does more of the same. Get over it fanboy.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The consumers spoke when Microsoft tried to do new stuff with the Xbox One. They went for the simpler but more powerful and cheaper PS4. Now Microsoft is too scared to make anything more than the most powerful custom PC they can for the price. They won't even touch VR on console.

Congratulations, gamers. You got what you wanted.

(speaking as someone who loved the Kinect 2.0 and the potential it had and now can no longer pretend I'm Tom Cruise in Minority Report because of you..... Grrrrrrr)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
People are expecting way too much
It's going to be a 12-13 TF consoles which would put it as a high end GPU in 2019. The pro revisions really limited how far they could.improve things.

CPU will see the biggest leap

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jesus @ the defensive replies attacking him. Why do we have to react this way?

In any case, he's not wrong. I personally don't mind it so much given it ultimately means we get consoles that tend to be cheaper and more reliable, and that still provide really amazing results. But part of me does miss the days of gen 7, when Nintendo brought on motion controls, and the consoles had crazy proprietary tech.
2013 Microsoft says nobody wants gimmicks or changing it up at all

Oct 26, 2017
There's not much reason to use custom chips and different architectures.

We live in an API and Generalized built Engines world now. Various layers to simplify and compartmentalize various concepts. That's a good thing because the bottleneck nowadays isn't at the hardware but with devtimes, anything that helps to simplify the process is good.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Dude wants exotic hardware. Dude has forgotten Bayonetta PS3 debacle. Then again Platinum didn't develop that version internally. Then again question becomes, why didn't they develop it internally.

Edit: if he wants to be challenged by new hardware, perhaps he should make games for VR.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Could say the same about Platinum games baby
Damn! Exactly what I came in here to say.
When Platinum games look like PS3/360 games, it's kinda ironic in a way.
Lol its funny because you could says the same about their software output.

Action games with good mechanics and not so good other stuff.
perfect fit for Platinum's games then.
Lots of ruffled feathers in here lol

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Have to disagree, more raw power>>>>>streaming imo.

This. Dude is completely blind to how the industry has changed over the last 25 years. I just don't understand what he's expecting in the computer hardware sphere to be exciting. Being excited for streaming for the sake of it being different is ridiculous in my eyes.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
The consumers spoke when Microsoft tried to do new stuff with the Xbox One. They went for the simpler but more powerful and cheaper PS4. Now Microsoft is too scared to make anything more than the most powerful custom PC they can for the price. They won't even touch VR on console.

Congratulations, gamers. You got what you wanted.

(speaking as someone who loved the Kinect 2.0 and the potential it had and now can no longer pretend I'm Tom Cruise in Minority Report because of you..... Grrrrrrr)
Ah yeah Kinect 2.0 , what a glorious device that 0 of launch games actually supported.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
He's not wrong.

The Playstation and XBOX consoles usually are just "more power" than the previous generation. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing "impressive" either, kinda expected.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I'm excited to see what Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Guerilla can do with the increase in power.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's obviously speaking a fan of the industry.

There was something special of previous exotic tech, from the N64 to the Dreamcast, to the PS2. There were tons of speculative magazine articles on the custom hardware of those systems.

We've lost that today.

Don't get me wrong, PC hardware is better for game development and cost, but the whole WOW factor for mega geeks is gone. That's how I read his statement. He's not critical of the machines.

Oct 28, 2017
I think its foolish to ask for unique architectures that will probably disrupt already-made tools and workflows. Sure, as a nerd you might want a new toy to puzzle out and struggle with, but your general employees probably just want to get on with making cool games.

Status
Not open for further replies.