• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

aaxqJwNw_700w_0.jpg

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly impressed at the mental gymnastics on display in regards to the possibility of a Bayonetta port, when in truth it'd be even easier than it was with 101 since it's Sega's IP.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly impressed at the mental gymnastics on display in regards to the possibility of a Bayonetta port, when in truth it'd be even easier than it was with 101 since it's Sega's IP.
spider-man is disney's IP. you think marvel or disney can choose to port insomniac's game to PC/XBO without sony's agreement? it's the exact same situation here. nintendo licensed the IP from sega (twice) to make their own first party game. it's not up to sega (or PG) where it goes.
there's no mental gymnastics. the situation is very clear and as kamiya has said, asking for bayo 2/3 on other platforms is like asking for mario or zelda. you can do it, but don't expect it to happen. now bayo 4, that's only up to sega as to who makes it or what platform it's released on.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, it doesn't mean that much considering Shenmue and other cases. I believe the game will still struggle to find a large audience having played the original on Wii U and loving. It's going to take a very open mind for some to get around its control scheme and have it click with them. It's a very love it or hate it kind of game. It doesn't play like any traditional action game on the market other than itself on the Wii U.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would not be easier. Sega would have almost no say on whether Bayonetta 2 goes multiplatform. This has been explained countless times though, even by Sega and Platinum employees themselves.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Any word if we can expect the other reveals soon? All i want to see is the new IP that Inaba was talking about last year. He said it's ''something that has never been done before''.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
To be fair, it doesn't mean that much considering Shenmue and other cases. I believe the game will still struggle to find a large audience having played the original on Wii U and loving. It's going to take a very open mind for some to get around its control scheme and have it click with them. It's a very love it or hate it kind of game. It doesn't play like any traditional action game on the market other than itself on the Wii U.
You are surely right, but it's great that such a niche game gets a second chance and will be available to a wider audience.
I can see it doing really well on Switch. For PS4? Not so sure. Myself? I'm excited.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are surely right, but it's great that such a niche game gets a second chance and will be available to a wider audience.
I can see it doing really well on Switch. For PS4? Not so sure. Myself? I'm excited.
Agreed. I'm really happy it was a success and that it can reach more people. And I do really hope it does well too.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some quotes from this interview from last year:
"2019 will be an incredibly important year for us," Inaba told VGC. "Without speaking directly to the number of titles we may or may not announce, I can say it's going to be a year of some major new approaches, new challenges and new methods for us.

"Basically, we're building a new foundation that in later years will pay dividends. For us, new challenges are going to be very important."
"Right now we're in the middle of designing something that has never been done before. I know a lot of people say that, but the game we're working on truly is unlike anything else," he said.

"Even for our varied history of veteran game developers, this is something that has never been designed before. So from a game design perspective, we're very excited right now."

Inaba has alluded to an unannounced project once before, although it's not clear if he was referring to the same title. During a BitSummit panel in May 2018, he claimed one game Platinum is working on would "turn the action genre on its head".
During its first decade, Platinum's reliance on game franchises it doesn't own hasn't always left the company with a clear route forward, especially when it comes to negotiating sequels. Sega, the owner of the Bayonetta IP, eventually granted Platinum Games the right to make more games with Nintendo, however many of the studio's other former creations, including Vanquish and Mad World, remain dormant.

Even the upcoming Astral Chain being created under an agreement that sees the IP remain with Nintendo and not Platinum Games.

Inaba has said he is determined to break the cycle with the creation of two new independent IPs owned entirely by the studio, neither of which have been announced
. This will finally give the studio the freedom to choose entirely its own directions, including making sequels, he said.
However, the pursuit of wholly-owned IP doesn't necessarily mean the end of collaborations, Inaba said, such as Platinum Games' released games based on Metal Gear Solid and Star Fox.

"Quite frankly, what it means is we have a lot of different choices in the way that we want to make games," he said.

"There are still going to potentially be games in which we partner with publishers to do big things with big IPs. There might be some co-publishing options where we're doing some of it and they're doing some of it to make a larger game, and there might be situations where we're going to be self-publishing larger games as well."

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I almost feel like the Diablo Immortal guy with "don't you guys have Switches?"

The port begging for Bayo 2 was annoying back in 2014, but at least that was on the Wii U which clearly limited the audience. Now I'm shocked there are enough people on this whole forum without a Switch to have all come together and produce this amount of whinging about Bayo 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The Bayonetta port begging force in this thread is intense...

Truth is, Bayonetta 2 and 3 won't go anywhere out of a Nintendo system if Nintendo doesn't want to. People is pretty crazy if they think Nintendo will let a Switch exclusive they funded going to the competition because... reasons.

The Wonderful 101 is a totally different situation. The game bombed hard before and it's not a game that would attract anyone to their system. Bayonetta is a much bigger name that could bring new buyers for them. Also, since the exclusivity of Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3, people is associating the franchise with Nintendo and I guess that's something that Nintendo would like to keep it that way.

I can see Nintendo letting The Wonderful 101 being funded by Platinum and going multiplat... even it's good for them, because they could secure the exclusivity of a second entry in the series if, miraculously, the game doesn't bomb this time (sadly, I think it will again) and attract people to the system for playing the new entry. Bayonetta has nothing to prove and already is a prestigious franchise that can attract users by itself.

Also, they are making Platinum happy and that's good because it's possible Bayo 3 it's not the only game they have in production for Switch.

. 'Nuff said.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Actually Sega totally would let Platinum self publish a Vanquish sequel. Sega has a very open licences policy when it comes to their "dead" franchises. Just look at Wonder Boy, Wind Jammers, Panzer Dragoon and Streets of Rage 4.
You are right, I completely forgot about those examples. And you can even add Shenmue 3 to that list. So yea, Vanquish 2 could be one of the announcements.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would not be easier. Sega would have almost no say on whether Bayonetta 2 goes multiplatform. This has been explained countless times though, even by Sega and Platinum employees themselves.
...yet it happened with TW101. Whatever the case, it's clear that a port is a possibility, and anyone saying otherwise is doing mental gymnastics.
You don't want Bayonetta 3 as mobile gacha game, with the sole purpose being seeing the ladies in various states of undress
The character Bayonetta seems to have been created for that very purpose, unfortunately.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I am hoping this is a daily thing and a new thing gets revealed at Noon PST every day for four days starting with Wonderful 101 yesterday.

I am expecting it will be weekly on Monday's at that time, partially as there's four weeks in February and spaces out announcements.

I'm fearing if it's monthly or irregular updates with no time frame that are far apart.

I really do wish they'd had put a countdown to the announcement times.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
...yet it happened with TW101. Whatever the case, it's clear that a port is a possibility, and anyone saying otherwise is doing mental gymnastics.

It's like you don't want to read either the Twitter thread from the very man Kamiya himself about this, nor the interview of Inaba and again, the very man Kamiya himself, that cleary said that without Nintendo's okay, there wouldn't have been a kickstartered multi-platform remaster of W101.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

Nintendo didn't want Wonderful 101. Nintendo wants Bayonetta. Wonderful 101 didn't bring Nintendo money or prestige. Bayonetta brings them money and prestige. Wonderful 101 was something that Nintendo was willing to give up as a show of good faith in their strong relationship with Platinum and, by Platinum's own admission, it was a one-off. Bayonetta is something that Nintendo is not willing to give up and by Platinum's own admission, Nintendo funded the game and has the last word on every choice with Bayonetta 2 and 3.

Why in the world would Nintendo give up something that they A) want B) attracts users to their system and C) funded themselves?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like you don't want to read either the Twitter thread from the very man Kamiya himself about this, nor the interview of Inaba and again, the very man Kamiya himself, that cleary said that without Nintendo's okay, there wouldn't have been a kickstartered multi-platform remaster of W101.
Uh, yeah, thanks for agreeing with me I guess. Please note I haven't for a second said that Nintendo doesn't have a say, I just said it's an easier prospect because Sega, as holder of the IP, could communicate their interest in a port to Nintendo if the 101 port proves successful.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, yeah, thanks for agreeing with me I guess. Please note I haven't for a second said that Nintendo doesn't have a say, I just said it's an easier prospect because Sega, as holder of the IP, could communicate their interest in a port to Nintendo if the 101 port proves successful.

I'm not agreeing with you. Quite the opposite.

Nintendo actually funding the Switch port of the Bayonetta double pack should show you that no matter who's going to ask them, they won't repeat what's been done with W101. Sega apparently not caring enough for Bayo to let Nintendo again fund another sequel should show you that they're pretty much not going to talk to Nintendo about this. Especially since Nintendo showed them a massive goodwill already by letting them use Mario and the rest of the cast for their Olympic games.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo actually funding the Switch port of the Bayonetta double pack should show you that no matter who's going to ask them, they won't repeat what's been done with W101. Sega apparently not caring enough for Bayo to let Nintendo again fund another sequel should show you that they're pretty much not going to talk to Nintendo about this.
Yep. Can't believe this actually needed to be said at this point.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, it's not an easier prospect in any way. Sega holding IP ownership doesn't make it so. If anything, a successful TW101 port makes Nintendo less likely to work with Platinum and Sega on an agreement for Bayonetta 2 / 3 ports.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I am hoping this is a daily thing and a new thing gets revealed at Noon PST every day for four days starting with Wonderful 101 yesterday.

I am expecting it will be weekly on Monday's at that time, partially as there's four weeks in February and spaces out announcements.

I'm fearing if it's monthly or irregular updates with no time frame that are far apart.

Weekly makes sense. I don't think it'll be each day though.

Like I've said in another thread, if one of the stars is Bayo 3 news/re-reveal for example (I don't think we should assume it's 4 IPs they own), it'll be at a Direct, with the star and details appearing on their website just afterwards.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Why do you guys just not buy a Switch for playing Bayonetta 3 instead of this port begging of an exclusive game than haven't even launched and that its fully funded by a company that won't let that game appear on other systems that aren't their own? I mean, if you are THIS interested...

The situation would be less painful for you.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's getting a bit pathetic now, so I'll just let y'all sort this amongst yourselves, but the point remains that if PG can arrange with Nintendo a port of TW101, then PG + Sega can arrange with Nintendo a port of a Bayonetta title. Heck, Bayo 1 is getting released on PS4 like next month lol.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike Bayonetta 2 and 3 Bayonetta 1 is not owned by Nintendo in any capacity so there is no reason why Bayonetta 1 couldn't be ported to other systems.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's getting a bit pathetic now, so I'll just let y'all sort this amongst yourselves, but the point remains that if PG can arrange with Nintendo a port of TW101, then PG + Sega can arrange with Nintendo a port of a Bayonetta title. Heck, Bayo 1 is getting released on PS4 like next month lol.
Why would Nintendo allow a port of Byo2 when the third game is incoming and exclusive to the switch, it doesn't make any sense

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo has a flagship "adult-oriented" character for the first time ever in Bayonetta. They don't give a shit about The Wonderful 101.

It's not that complicated.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
there is zero chance Bayo 2 is coming to other consoles, I can't believe we're still having this discussion

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo has no say whatsoever in Bayonetta 1. That they're porting bayonetta 1 with vanquish instead of 2 on the non-nintendo consoles (as they did on both Wii U and switch) should tell you everything you need to know about how likely the second game coming to the other consoles is.

Nintendo is wayyyy more invested in Bayonetta as a series than they are wonderful 101.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I mean, do you really need to ask this lol.
Same happened not only for Bayo 2 but countless games over the ages on multiple platforms.

If I want to play Bloodborne I know that I need to get a PS4 or just wait how-many-years Sony wants to publish it on other systems. I don't understand what's the fixation with Bayonetta, when all the people involved in the projects are saying Nintendo has the last word here. They are Nintendo funded tittles that won't see the light on any other platform unless Nintendo wants to...

Nintendo didn't fund Bayonetta at all. That's why you are seeing that game on PS4 and not Bayo 2 or Bayo 3, which are fully developed with the money from Nintendo. Why is this so hard to understand for you?

It's getting a bit pathetic now, I agree on that.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Maybe they can get Breath of the Wild too while they're at it. After all 101 got funded

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Given how many updates they intend to provide to the Kickstarter backers during the campaign (3 per week), I'm leaning towards monthly.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Port begging
Hoping to see Bayonetta 2 on PS4, and then an announcement that B3 has shifted development to multiplat with PS4 and XB1 in mind too.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
TW101 was a Nintendo IP, so Mario Odyssey will be ported to PS4 next month.

That's pretty much the last 3 pages.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see this has become The Official ResetEra Platinum Port-Begging Thread.

Bayonetta 2 isn't going anywhere.
Seriously hoping something happens, I've played Bayo 2 on Wii U, I wouldn't double dip the switch version but would most certainly buy it again on ps4. I don't know the specifics but if this new funding Platinum has can fund ps4/xb1/pc versions of B3 that would fill me with such joy!