• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Some ya'll are too pessimistic. I would be very surprised if one of the Platinum 4 is a mobile game.

I don't know why you'd be very surprised. Self-published games, being announced close together, when they already have two larger games still in development... at least one of them is probably going to be mobile. I don't think it's pessimism, just, like, a realistic assessment of what the company can do.

May 21, 2018
Hey the very concept of multiplayer melee game is interesting although this time they'd have competition from Bleeding Edge.

That type of game (multiplayer melee-based CQC brawling) needs Dedicated Matchmaking servers for sure. They would need to invest significantly more into it in today's climate compared to last time -- not having dedicated servers is just one of the major reasons why Anarchy failed so hard. Ironically, I probably know more about AR (imported it on launch) than any of P*'s other games. It definitely has its share of problems.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
That's not really pessimistic. Mobile is very possible and could make them more money than all of the other games combined.

Only if its gatcha can I see them making a lot of money. I don't think gatcha mechanics work for the type of games Platinum make. So I don't see them making one unless Tencent demanded one for funding.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Only if its gatcha can I see them making a lot of money. I don't think gatcha mechanics work for the type of games Platinum make. So I don't see them making one unless Tencent demanded one for funding.
You can pretty much attach gatcha to any type of gameplay with additional skins and characters locked behind it lol

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You do know they were already making one a year ago?
www.platinumgames.com

WORLD OF DEMONS | PlatinumGames Inc. Official WebSite

The official website of PlatinumGames Inc., developer of NieR:Automata, the Bayonetta series, ASTRAL CHAIN and more! We develop games of a wide range of genres, from the Japanese fantastical combat of World of Demons to the free-form of shooting SOL CRESTA.

May 21, 2018
Why do people still think Viewtiful Joe or god hand are things Platinum would touch not owning any of the Clover/Capcom stuff.
Platinums goal clearly is to self publish games that they own so that they get the whole cut.
I want a God hand spiritual successor because in no way are they going to make God hand 2.

Good point. That's why P* starting fresh with all new (self-owned) IP pretty much alleviates this going forward.

And knowing Japanese devs and online gaming this PlatinumGames MP title will play like ass.

So better stick to sp.

Unfortunately, that Anarchy multiplayer is quite problematic from a design standpoint. There are issues with the overall balance and it's just not something that can be mitigated by simply "releasing it with updated graphics etc". There are fundamental problems with the game... and it being 85% multiplayer-centric means it needs more money invested into its network resources, unlike anything singleplayer. The reason/s why the game never managed to attract and retain a decent playerbase were multi-faceted.

And even then... if P* ever wanted to try an online brawler again, they'd be better off going with a self-owned "spiritual successor" (and working from scratch).

Last edited:

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
If Platinum wanted to self-publish mobile games they would have done so already. They have higher ambition for their own IPs.

Also it's possible that using the Tencent money Platinum bought back assets they developed for Scalebound from Microsoft.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this has been discussed or if it's even of interest to people but in the latest Mega64 podcast they talk about the video that they put out with platinum and on the podcast they mentioned how they were approached by Platinum and we're asked if they wanted to collaborate on the video last year. They we're actually told about the Wonderful 101 Kickstarter and a few days later they went to Japan and filmed the video, this all happened in October.

On the podcast they also mentioned that Platinum expressed how they were hoping to have the Wonderful 101 Kickstarter up around November which is why they recorded the video in October, Mega64 was even going to originally premiere the video at their convention Gamedays which was in November last year but had to hold it back, just thought that was interesting info.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I agree that it would at least be a mistake to announce a mobile game this way (though wouldn't go so far to say they definitely wouldn't do it).

No one who cares enough about Platinum to go to their website and watch a countdown of the "Platinum 4" wants a game played without a controller. I made the joke earlier but announcing a mobile game this way really would be akin to announcing Diablo Mobile to crowd of hardcore old fans at Blizzcon after teasing that there's a big Diablo announcement coming. It's not that Platinum is above mobile games but hopefully they can read the room and know that's not what the kind of core fanbase that gets excited over The Wonderful 101 wants to see.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Project G.G.
Directed by Kamiya
Last title of Hero Trilogy
ryokutya2089.com

【プラチナゲームズ】神谷英樹さん監督、神谷英樹ヒーロー三部作完結編「プロジェクトG.G.」を発表 ※修正有り | ゲームよりどりサブカルみどりパーク

ポーズをとる一人の少年、体が青白い光に包まれ巨人となって怪獣の前に立ちはだかる・・・! プラチナ初のパブリッシング完全新規IP神谷「完全新規タイトルの監督という立場でゲームを作る」稲葉「いい意味でユーザーの予想を裏切る」神谷「いままでプラチナがやっていなかったことに挑戦」 神谷「ビューティフルジョーは仮面ライダーのような単身変身もの、101は戦隊もの、GGは巨大ヒーローもの」稲葉「ジャンルを無理やりつけるなら〇〇アクション××」神谷「アクションとしての手触りは大事にするがそれだけにフォーカスした作品ではない」 稲葉「現段階では存在するすべてのプラットフォームでだしたいと考えている」...

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I have no idea what that is, but if it's a new Kamiya game then I guess I should be excited by default.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Awesome so it's a new ip in the style of w101 and Viewtiful Joe, I'm so in.
Damn only Kamiya Is capable of always working on new ip's for all the games he's on.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
We'll probably have more details soon, but yeah the leaked stuff is it's a new game directed by Kamiya (as predicted), it's the third and final "Hero" game he's made in an unofficial "Hero" trilogy (first was Viewtiful Joe, second was Wonderful 101), we'll see a bit more soon it seems.

I know Kamiya is the vice president of Platinum now, I wonder if this being the final game in the unofficial "Hero Trilogy" means this might be one of the last games he directs before letting others in the company take over more, or if he just wants to make one final superhero game then change gears.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I would LOVE a reboot or port of World of Demons onto console or something, just to make it relevant again. It looked REALLY promising; whatever happened to it?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
His "Hero" stuff isn't my favorite (that art style...), but coming directly from Kamiya, there's no doubt this will be a special game.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
big hero like Ultraman
want to release on all platforms
planning stage
ryokutya2089.com

ポーズをとる一人の少年、体が青白い光に包まれ巨人となって怪獣の前に立ちはだかる・・・! プラチナ初のパブリッシング完全新規IP神谷「完全新規タイトルの監督という立場でゲームを作る」稲葉「いい意味でユーザーの予想を裏切る」神谷「いままでプラチナがやっていなかったことに挑戦」 神谷「ビューティフルジョーは仮面ライダーのような単身変身もの、101は戦隊もの、GGは巨大ヒーローもの」稲葉「ジャンルを無理やりつけるなら〇〇アクション××」神谷「アクションとしての手触りは大事にするがそれだけにフォーカスした作品ではない」 稲葉「現段階では存在するすべてのプラットフォームでだしたいと考えている」...

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
big hero like Ultraman
planning stage
ryokutya2089.com

It's weird that they would announce the game so early in development, though I guess it makes sense with the number of projects they have.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
big hero like Ultraman
planning stage
ryokutya2089.com

Like ultra man. Yes please. I want big old rubber monster suit battles.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
In basic:
-First game Platinum owns the IP of 100% and are self-publishing.
-Game challenges and is completely different than anything they've made before, they want to exceed and betray expectations
-Says "Viewtiful Joe is a transformative fighter like Kaymen Rider", "Wonderful 101 is a hero squadron", "GG is a huge hero."
-Action Feel is important to the game, but Platinum hint it's not the most important part of the project.
-Launching on all existing platforms, if they can.
-Goal is to have 100 people working on it, 15 people actively working on it now but team is expanding.
-There were offers to fun and publish the game, but Platinum wanted to own this IP and publish it themselves.
-Say the last two games of the Platinum 4 are new projects, the fourth and last one is a huge secret that is something "very interesting".

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
big hero like Ultraman
planning stage
ryokutya2089.com

Sounds cool

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sounds awesome. good to see them targeting all platforms

in regards to the last two projects not being ports, told ya. some people really thought it's up to platinum to port other companies games and IPs to new platforms, lol

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
All port beggars, clear out.
I've clarified two things in the other thread I should make here too. Touch controls was wrong on my part, the correct wording was "Action Feel", IE Action Feel is important to the title, but hint that the action aspect may not be the most important part of the game.
>Which my dumb ass originally read as Touch controls were important to the title, but may not be needed in the game.

The third reveal also could be related to an already revealed game possibly, like Bayonetta 3 or Babylon or the like. They just say it's for a "new project". The fourth game they do clarify it's a secret no one knows about though, which is why I think the third one may be related to something we already know.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I've never realized the hero-themed games were based on all the Japanese superhero classics. Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and now Ultraman, huh? That's pretty cool. I'm excited to see some character designs

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
What they said about 4 makes me think we know about 3. Hopefully 3 is, funnily enough, Bayo 3. What y'all think?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
What they said about 4 makes me think we know about 3. Hopefully 3 is, funnily enough, Bayo 3. What y'all think?
It's what I'm leaning towards. They clarify the last two are new projects, but the fourth one is a "huge secret no one knows about", which does imply the third thing is something people already know about.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's what I'm leaning towards. They clarify the last two are new projects, but the fourth one is a "huge secret no one knows about", which does imply the third thing is something people already know about.
that makes me think the third game is something smaller and lowkey, maybe their apple arcade game they're supposed to be making.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's not just my wishful thinking lol.

Of course I'm interested in any new IP platinum has to offer, but Bayo 3 is a known quantity from a series that I love already and have been waiting so long for.

I don't know how the advertising works with Nintendo though. What I'm hoping is that it points to a general direct soon and the timing lines up with their third reveal.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
-Say the last two games of the Platinum 4 are new projects, the fourth and last one is a huge secret that is something "very interesting".

Oh....

8k64fXO.jpg