• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If Zhuge's figure of $5m for the US is accurate(and it probably is), and we add the Japanese sales figures we have, it's more likely that W101 sold closer to 150k than 250k.

I wonder if W101 will sell better in Japan on the Switch. I'm surprised it sold so poorly considering the game takes obvious inspiration from masked hero characters in Japanese pop culture.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say this stuff is really bizarre to me. This whole conversation began because PG wanted to and are now confirmed to port one of their original games developed with Nintendo as a publisher, yet somehow the prospect of other such titles receiving the same treatment is described as insanity. The knee-jerk reactions are truly ludicrous.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say this stuff is really bizarre to me. This whole conversation began because PG wanted to and are now confirmed to port one of their original games developed with Nintendo as a publisher, yet somehow the prospect of other such titles receiving the same treatment is described as insanity. The knee-jerk reactions are truly ludicrous.
read the interview

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if W101 will sell better in Japan on the Switch. I'm surprised it sold so poorly considering the game takes obvious inspiration from masked hero characters in Japanese pop culture.
considering TMS did just under the Wii U version (not accounting for digital), W101 may perform similarly. most likely better, but not by any amount that'd matter

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Because PG may want to, but it only matters if Nintendo lets them. TW101 didn't just happen because PG wanted to, I'm sure they'd love to put all their games on all platforms. It happened because Nintendo allowed it to.

Nintendo will not allow them to take AC And Bayo 2/3 multi platform because those are way more important to them and they'd have more to lose. Platinum even acknowledged that TW101 is a special case.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
read the article it explains the unique opportunity Nintendo gave Platinum regarding W101

How did the new project come about? You've suggested in the past that you've been in discussions with Nintendo for a while about re-releasing the game.

Inaba:
This is a game that we've always wanted to revive. Unfortunately, it was not as successful on Wii U as we wanted it to be, so we spoke to Nintendo about what we could do.

When you talk about 'success' for a video game, that can mean a lot of different things. In particular, it can mean that the game released on multiple platforms, so that's what we were thinking for the remaster: we wanted it to be on more platforms than just Nintendo.

So we spoke to Nintendo about it and Nintendo said basically, 'if you want to bring it to another platform, we're fine with that. But that's up to you – it's your effort.'

PlatinumGames is a game developer and not a publisher, so we do not have the ability to publish games ourselves. That's why we would like to reach out to all of our fans and get the support to make this project a reality.

It seems surprising that Nintendo has allowed the game to appear on other platforms. Why is that?

Kamiya:
We don't really know! (Laughs) They were really nice about it.

Inaba: Platinum has a really good relationship with Nintendo. We've been with Nintendo from the very beginning and we've released a lot of games with them, including Astral Chain which recently released and was a big success. So I think it's largely thanks to our relationship with Nintendo that they kind of decided to give us a break. I think it's our history that it's largely attributed to. We were quite surprised ourselves. This is usually not something that is allowed in the games industry. We see it as a very unique opportunity that Nintendo has given us and we're pleased to have it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Inaba: It's up to Nintendo, it's unlikely. We consider this an exclusive case.

Era:
tenor.gif

Or more like:

tumblr_o1y0n4CHZP1ry8rcwo2_400.gif

Staff Post on what constitutes port begging

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Official Staff Communication
Platinum has made it clear that they're willing to take a previous exclusive and release it on other platforms. With this in mind, until the rest of the Platinum 4 is revealed, speculating and wishing for their other exclusives to come to other platforms is not considered port begging and will not be actioned as such. However, non-Platinum games are not being included here as they are not potentially a part of the Platinum 4.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
read the article it explains the unique opportunity Nintendo gave Platinum regarding W101
I mean, it says right there that they only managed said deal due to their good relationship with Nintendo, so how come a similar deal for another game is "literally impossible"? Especially if this could be something Sega could be seeking to do in tandem with PG? Anyway, the reactions of some people here have been wild (and wildly amusing).

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Platinum has made it clear that they're willing to take a previous exclusive and release it on other platforms. With this in mind, until the rest of the Platinum 4 is revealed, speculating and wishing for their other exclusives to come to other platforms is not considered port begging and will not be actioned as such. However, non-Platinum games are not being included here as they are not potentially a part of the Platinum 4.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Bayonetta (1/2/3) is a non-Platinum game (in the sense of your post) since they don't own a bit of the IP.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this isn't related to Bayonetta because they don't own it and 2 and 3 are Nintendo funded so they would be port begging

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
They've made it abundantly clear that TW101 is an exception that Nintendo let them have. Astral Chain, Bayo 2 and 3 aren't coming anywhere else and letting people run around freely begging for them will only serve to make things worse in the long run.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Bayo multiplatform discussion is preventing discussion of what the rest of the Platinum 4 will most likely be.
I'm convinced one of them will be a Viewtiful Joe spiritual successor.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Bayo multiplatform discussion is preventing discussion of what the rest of the Platinum 4 will most likely be.
I'm convinced one of them will be a Viewtiful Joe spiritual successor.
Too bad Kamiya has gone on record to say he's too scared to make a survival horror title. Would be nice to have a spiritual successor to RE2.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Bayonetta (1/2/3) is a non-Platinum game (in the sense of your post) since they don't own a bit of the IP.
I hope this isn't related to Bayonetta because they don't own it and 2 and 3 are Nintendo funded so they would be port begging
They've made it abundantly clear that TW101 is an exception that Nintendo let them have. Astral Chain, Bayo 2 and 3 aren't coming anywhere else and letting people run around freely begging for them will only serve to make things worse in the long run.
Until the other 3 games are announced, we have no idea what Platinum has up their sleeve or what deals they've worked out, so a person going "hmmm Bayonetta 2???" cannot currently be considered port begging from a moderation standpoint.

Blame Platinum or God. They opened the Pandora's Box.

The speculation is confined to this thread pretty much. Just bear it until the games are announced. Don't blow it out of proportion by reacting in a volatile manner to mundane posts.

As always, feel free to contact a Mod Captain if you disagree with this decision by the mod team.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Speculating multi-plat Bayo 2, 3, or Scalebound is the next reveal is pretty silly and exceedingly unlikely given everything we know, but it's clearly not really off-topic for this kind of thread. I don't have any issue with the ruling.

Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh, Bayonetta 2 would be good for ps4.
Nintendo/plat can't be making much money from that anymore.

Share the love lol. Especially with that collection coming out.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Ooooh, Bayonetta 2 would be good for ps4.
Nintendo/plat can't be making much money from that anymore.

Share the love lol. Especially with that collection coming out.
I think porting Bayonetta 2 to PS4/XB1/PC this year would be a smart move to promote Bayonetta 3 on Switch and give more people a chance to play a great game. The thing is that I doubt Nintendo feels the same way, unfortunately.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Speculating multi-plat Bayo 2, 3, or Scalebound is the next reveal is pretty silly and exceedingly unlikely given everything we know, but it's clearly not really off-topic for this kind of thread. I don't have any issue with the ruling.

This is equivalent of the Nintendo Direct Speculation thread, a place where mods contain all the madness so that it doesn't spread in the other threads.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Until the other 3 games are announced, we have no idea what Platinum has up their sleeve or what deals they've worked out, so a person going "hmmm Bayonetta 2???" cannot currently be considered port begging from a moderation standpoint.

The speculation is confined to this thread pretty much. Just bear it until the games are announced. Don't blow it out of proportion by reacting in a volatile manner to mundane posts.

As always, feel free to contact a Mod Captain if you disagree with this decision by the mod team.
So I guess we can just keep quoting Platinum saying it won't happen as this isn't their IP? There's a pretty big contradiction in your statement by saying "However, non-Platinum games are not being included here as they are not potentially a part of the Platinum 4." (as in: this is portbegging for non-Platinum games) when it's basically all games that Platinum has worked on (minus Wonderful 101, described as a special case by Platinum themselves, and Astral Chain, which Platinum described themselves as not happening).
Seems pretty clear cut imo, unless the mod team hasn't read that interview.
Here's a link, it's a good read:

It's weird that the previous pages have warnings and bans applied to people asking for less port-begging, but none to those actually port-begging games which, following your statement, are non-Platinum games and thus shouldn't appear there (like Bayonetta 2).

I'm not sure what God has to do with that btw.

edit: anyway, I'd contact a mod captain about that, but I'm not sure it'd be read or that anything would change. Unless a mod captain wants to talk about it here?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Ehhh, Sony is seemingly putting horizon on pc, probably to promote horizon 2 on ps5.
Yeah but that's very clearly not Nintendo's business model. They're much more traditional with their IPs (and for good reason, since exclusives are so much more important to their business model). The only exceptions ever have been Devil's Third and Wonderful 101 which could not have been more dead when the original dev team asked for the IPs. Bayo is not in that situation.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You're the one blowing it out of proportion. Platinum co-owns the Wonderful 101 IP with Nintendo. They don't own Bayonetta and certainly not 2 or 3. They've stated these games won't come unless Nintendo allows it which would be discussed between SEGA and Nintendo. It's ok though I let a Mod Captain know of this

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Ehhh, Sony is seemingly putting horizon on pc, probably to promote horizon 2 on ps5.

Well yeah, but they're not putting it on Xbox. At most you'll get Bayonetta 2 for PC if by some miracle Nintendo actually allows that to happen.

edit: anyway, I'd contact a mod captain about that, but I'm not sure it'd be read or that anything would change. Unless a mod captain wants to talk about it here?

Usually what happens is that the mod will tell you they won't change their decision and the conversation will end. It's pretty rare for moderation teams on any forum to budge. At most they'll say "they'll take it into consideration".

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Y'all are dunking on the mods for allowing on-topic speculation when you should be dunking on the posters who are speculating dumb shit.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Y'all are dunking on the mods for allowing on-topic speculation when you should be dunking on the posters who are speculating dumb shit.
Well the ones that dunked on those posters got warned or banned, so... (edit: dunking isn't a way to make advancing things politely anyway, that's dumb on its own)

But anyway, back on topic, I don't expect a new announcement this week. Pretty obvious they're focusing on W101 for now (which is good).

Oct 31, 2017

I didn't follow that piece of news but this Horizon port will be PC only, right ?

I mean, it says right there that they only managed said deal due to their good relationship with Nintendo, so how come a similar deal for another game is "literally impossible"? Especially if this could be something Sega could be seeking to do in tandem with PG? Anyway, the reactions of some people here have been wild (and wildly amusing).

In case you missed it the first time around:

This is usually not something that is allowed in the games industry. We see it as a very unique opportunity that Nintendo has given us and we're pleased to have it.

So yeah, it's possible if both SEGA and Nintendo are ok with it... Which will likely not happen. So impossible in the end, I guess ! :D

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eh, let people speculate as much as they want about pointless things. it's clear that these are going to be new IPs, owned and self-published by platinum. even if bayo games were to come out on new platforms, it'd be sega who would handle the announcement (like they just did with bayo 1 and vanquish for ps4/xbo), not PG. if people want to set themselves up for disappointment, they're free to do so.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't see any harm in entertaining the possibilities at the end of the day, even though I'd prefer to discuss things I think are actually likely.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also I don't think any more of these would be ports/remasters unless they are P* published. These 4 are described as "new challenges" for platinum games. I see that as a combo of new games/IPs and growing their self-publishing. Neither of which a Bayo 2 port to PC would be, I don't see that needing to be self published by them anyway.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Also I don't think any more of these would be ports/remasters unless they are P* published. These 4 are described as "new challenges" for platinum games. I see that as a combo of new games/IPs and growing their self-publishing. Neither of which a Bayo 2 port to PC would be, I don't see that needing to be self published by them anyway.
An Anarchy Reigns PC port would be a nice challenge.
Not sure if I'm following the rules now.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I need a show of hands who uh >.> likes viewtiful joe here ?

<.<

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't think the Platinum 4 are all necessarily self-published, just the four projects they're currently working on. In fact I'd be surprised if we saw another self-published game immediately... the Tencent thing just happened and they don't really have any other IPs lying around that make sense for ports. With that said, here's my best guess:

1. Wonderful 101
2. Bayonetta 3 (trailer shown in the Feb direct, put on Platinum's site after)
3. Nier 3
4. Babylon's Fall

I think in a year or two we'll hear about their first self-published new IP, but it seems too early to be any of these. Definitely could be wrong though!

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I hope Platinum and Nintendo work out a way to bring their catalog (not counting Star Fox, of course) over to PC. If you told anyone W101 would become coming to PS4/PC via Kickstarter a few months ago, you would have been laughed at. It's not super likely, but it's not impossible now.