• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the other 3 announcements will be new and probably smaller scale stuff.

It's less the actual likelyhood, of it happening, and more that the eagernesse to defend exclusives comes off as being fueled by being too invested in a specific platform. It's the same vibes i got in those Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC threads or similar threads in the past where people see exclusives going multplat as some sort of L for their team and not as an objectively good thing for everyone.

It's exactly this. People complaining about port begging often do it in a defensive way without understanding the rule about port begging.

Port begging isn't an offense as "I want this game on this platform" by itself. It all comes down to how relevant it is to the conversation.
Going into a thread about God of War latest trailer and go like "omg please bring it to PC" is port begging.
Now, going into a thread about The Wonderful 101, a Nintendo owned IP developped by Platinum Games, coming to PS4/PC on top of Switch, with several interviews from PG staff who's being coy about other properties and other hints at complicated situations about rights holding and wondering about other properties from the same developper and Nintendo being partially involved in said properties coming to other platforms isn't port begging.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect the other 3 announcements will be new and probably smaller scale stuff.

It's less the actual likelyhood, of it happening, and more that the eagernesse to defend exclusives comes off as being fueled by being too invested in a specific platform. It's the same vibes i got in those Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC threads or similar threads in the past where people see exclusives going multplat as some sort of L for their team and not as an objectively good thing for everyone.
I'm not really seeing much of that in this thread, but I agree with your general point that this happens a lot and it hurts discussion. I can't speak to the Horizon thread specifically, as I don't believe I participated in discussion or even read much of it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I think you're reading a little too much into that website. Like I said earlier, B2 wasn't fully funded by Nintendo while B3 is so... Most likely an error.

And from what we know, it's both funded and published by Nintendo.

It's exceedingly unlikely that the editor of the announcement trailer and the person who maintains Platinum's website both made the same mistake. But as I've said before, it is possible the information is no longer accurate; we'll know when Nintendo releases a new trailer.

Was Lego City Undercover fully funded by Nintendo ?

WB's logo isn't anywhere on the box art for the Wii U version, so, yeah, as far as we know.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If one of these games is a mg rising remaster/sequel I am going to learn how to do a backflip and do a triple flip like mario 64 complete with yajuuu.

Oct 27, 2017
Persona is a Atlus IP. The job of Atlus is to sell their games, not to sell PlayStations.

Nintendo is investing money in Bayonetta. Nintendos job is to sell Nintendo hardware.

You can get Bloodborne trough PS Now. Never got that rumor.

This shit is rather easy to comprehend, but since this is the Trump era, I shouldn't be surprised.

Rumor? What are you talking about lol. Anyway, if you want to be pedantic about those examples, look at Horizon, a Sony exclusive (developed by one of their in house studios!) is all but confirmed to be coming to PC. To go with a more clear example, look at MLB the Show (developed by SIE San Diego!). Sony invested money into those games (something something it's Sony's job is to sell Sony hardware!), but they're going to other platforms.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo definitely had some level of involvement in Lego City Undercover beyond just being the publisher. Iwata was originally listed as an executive producer, for example. I doubt they provided full funding though.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It sounds like Nintendo only published it, just like Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge.

The primary component of game publishing is funding development. That Nintendo published (or rather "published") NG3 in territories other than Japan means it just handled retail distribution and possibly localisation.

Edit: I should probably point out that it's not uncommon for publishers to say they're "publishing" something when in fact they're just handling distribution. EA did this when announcing its retail distribution agreement with Valve for the Black/Orange Box, for example.

Lego City Undercover was funded, like all Lego games, by WB through its TT Games subsidiary. Nintendo's logo is on the Wii U cover because it published the Wii U version of the game.

Nintendo being the sole publisher of LCU Wii U means it was, at least, the chief financier of the project. It wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever for a publisher the size of WB to fund development in full only to defer everything else to Nintendo; if WB and only WB had funded the game, it would've been WB-published from the off, like the non-Wii U versions are.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Indeed, that's what happened with LCU as well.

The Wii U version was published by Nintendo exclusively, which is why it was the only version available for four years. There is nothing that indicates WB funded the game in its entirety only to handball the remaining tasks to Nintendo; nowhere is WB listed as a co-publisher of the Wii U version.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
The Wii U version was published by Nintendo exclusively, which is why it was the only version available for four years. There is nothing that indicates WB funded the game in its entirety only to handball the remaining tasks to Nintendo.

If it was a Nintendo funded game, it wouldn't have been released on other platforms afterwards. Another good example close to what happened here would be Octopath Traveler.

The fact that Nintendo was willing to give up on their share of the W101 IP and let P+ continue managing, resulting in a multiplattform release as early as April 2020 should be celebrated.....instead its being used to portbeg again.

Nintendo didn't give up on their share of TW101 IP though, they're supporting this new multiplatform release according to PG. I'd say it's closer to what happened with SEGA/Shenmue 3.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
If it was a Nintendo funded game, it wouldn't have been released on other platforms afterwards. Another good example close to what happened here would be Octopath Traveler.

If Nintendo didn't fund at least the majority of the game, it wouldn't have been a Wii U exclusive. The idea that a publisher with the means to handle every facet of game publishing itself funded development then enlisted the help of Nintendo for the relatively cheap tasks of retail distribution and additional localisation after agreeing to four years of Wii U exclusivity simply doesn't make any sense, especially since development would've began prior to the release of the system and at a time where consumer interest in the original Wii had well and truly waned.

Edit: Misremembered when the game released. Fixed.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo didn't give up on their share of TW101 IP though, they're supporting this new multiplatform release according to PG. I'd say it's closer to what happened with SEGA/Shenmue 3.

We really don't know the details so it's just unfounded speculation. For instance it's not impossible that WB bought the rights back from Nintendo, that's not unheard of.

I think the W101 deal is actually similar to PoPoLoCrois appearing on 3DS. In both cases the first party allowed the creator to take the relatively low value IP to another platform independently, but it didn't necessarily mean anything for a wider strategy from the first party.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Folks, they're not Keiji Inafune. They're not stupid enough to try and compete with their own kickstarter with multiple "pay us so we can make a remaster" kickstarters at a time.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt the 3 other announcement will be 3 other kickstarters for remastered, that would just be overkill

Esnaibus

Jan 8, 2020
It's really simple. Platinum has the ideas but not the financing, talks to larger companies to buy the idea and finance it. That's why W101 belongs to Nintendo, Bayonetta and Vanquish to Sega and Scalebound was going to belong to Microsoft.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Best guess on what they are doing is the 4 are all self-published developments. With some space in between the announcements, that will last till the end of the year.

TW101R they made it clear in their FAQ that they are self-publishing the game. All these announcements I could see as being brand new IPs, or being given the right to the IP to use (such as what Nintendo did with TW101R)

Oct 31, 2017
If Kamiya was a mod here, so many people would be banned for the Bayonetta port-begging posts.

lol

If Nintendo didn't fund at least the majority of the game, it wouldn't have been a Wii U exclusive. The idea that a publisher with the means to handle every facet of game publishing itself funded development then enlisted the help of Nintendo for everything else at the cost of four years of Wii U exclusivity simply doesn't make any sense, especially since the system bombed out of the gate.

Four years exclusivity aside, that's what happened with Octopath Traveler. Square Enix could have done everything themselves but they didn't.

We really don't know the details so it's just unfounded speculation. For instance it's not impossible that WB bought the rights back from Nintendo, that's not unheard of.

I think the W101 deal is actually similar to PoPoLoCrois appearing on 3DS. In both cases the first party allowed the creator to take the relatively low value IP to another platform independently, but it didn't necessarily mean anything for a wider strategy from the first party.

That's true. But if we take a look at Bayonetta, we can see that Nintendo didn't fully fund B2 and that's a SEGA/Nintendo game. So, if we take into account that B3 is a fully funded game by Nintendo as said by Kamiya, it'll also be a SEGA/Nintendo game in the end. We'll see soon enough though ! :D

I don't know much about Popolocrois but it sounds like it started as a manga series (and the 3DS game was supposedly a spin-off). So not sure if it's that close to TW101 case.

Esnaibus

Jan 8, 2020
I doubt the 3 other announcement will be 3 other kickstarters for remastered, that would just be overkill

Well I would not be surprised that after the success of Kickstarter, Platinum thinks about taking out more projects through crowdfunding in the near future so as not to depend on other companies.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
People conflating the importance to Nintendo of a extremely niche game like TW101, with Bayo2/3 is wild. I mean anything can happen, but they aren't even close to the same importance to Nintendo.

Bayo is now Nintendo's flagship action game series for their system that they know people will buy the system for. I am guessing Astral Chain is also their hope to convince the character action game crowd to see that the switch is where some of these games will be that aren't playable anywhere else, pushing hardware sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they are also hoping the sales of these games convinces Capcom to start to put the DMC series on the system (current games, not super old ports)

TW101 is just a tiny niche game that they don't really care much about as it doesn't affect them really at all. People aren't going to go out and buy a switch just to play a remaster of a extremely niche game, so it going to PS4/Steam isn't really losing them hardware sales. And lets be honest, the asthetics of the game already place it firmly more in the switch demographic than any other ecosystem. I also bet that neither Nintendo or Platinum expected the TW101 kickstarter to blow up like it did. If they did think it would, they probably wouldn't have let this happen.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I would not be surprised that after the success of Kickstarter, Platinum thinks about taking out more projects through crowdfunding in the near future so as not to depend on other companies.
sure, that make sense, but when their next announcement is called coming soon, which mean, let say, each week they unveil something new, i doubt they will launch 4 kickstarter, one each week

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i refuse to believe this many people are actually believe what they're saying when it comes to the situation around bayo 2/3. it literally can't be more clear what the deal with these games is between nintendo/sega/PG.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): Inflammatory comparison
i refuse to believe this many people are actually believe what they're saying when it comes to the situation around bayo 2/3. it literally can't be more clear what the deal with these games is between nintendo/sega/PG.
Just remember, there are people who voted for Trump, so im not surprise people wish they get a port of Bayo 2-3.

Folks, if you really want Bayo, just buy a godamnt Switch. End of the line

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Four years exclusivity aside, that's what happened with Octopath Traveler. Square Enix could have done everything themselves but they didn't.

That Nintendo "published" the Switch version of Octopath outside Japan is well-documented; there isn't a single piece of official information that lists WB as a co-publisher of LCU Wii U.

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

I guess as the saying goes. People will believe what they want to believe

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol

That's true. But if we take a look at Bayonetta, we can see that Nintendo didn't fully fund B2 and that's a SEGA/Nintendo game. So, if we take into account that B3 is a fully funded game by Nintendo as said by Kamiya, it'll also be a SEGA/Nintendo game in the end. We'll see soon enough though ! :D

I don't know much about Popolocrois but it sounds like it started as a manga series (and the 3DS game was supposedly a spin-off). So not sure if it's that close to TW101 case.

Mario & Sonic could be next, Sega published the most recent one everywhere in the world.

With PoPoLoCrois SIE owns the copyright for video games are credited as such in the 3DS game, so they had to have okayed it.

People conflating the importance to Nintendo of a extremely niche game like TW101, with Bayo2/3 is wild. I mean anything can happen, but they aren't even close to the same importance to Nintendo.

Bayo is now Nintendo's flagship action game series for their system that they know people will buy the system for. I am guessing Astral Chain is also their hope to convince the character action game crowd to see that the switch is where some of these games will be that aren't playable anywhere else, pushing hardware sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they are also hoping the sales of these games convinces Capcom to start to put the DMC series on the system (current games, not super old ports)

TW101 is just a tiny niche game that they don't really care much about as it doesn't affect them really at all. People aren't going to go out and buy a switch just to play a remaster of a extremely niche game, so it going to PS4/Steam isn't really losing them hardware sales. And lets be honest, the asthetics of the game already place it firmly more in the switch demographic than any other ecosystem. I also bet that neither Nintendo or Platinum expected the TW101 kickstarter to blow up like it did. If they did think it would, they probably wouldn't have let this happen.

It's worth noting that judging by the figure Zhuge gave of $5m dollar gross in the US it's likely that Astral Chain sold more copies in Japan than W101 did worldwide, and worldwide figure will end up 10x higher or more.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TIL Bayonetta, which isn't even Nintendo's IP and after only a single exclusive entry that sold less than a million copies (when combining sales of both Switch and Wii U versions, per Nintendo's own report), became somehow a flagship franchise for Nintendo.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Mario & Sonic could be next, Sega published the most recent one everywhere in the world.

With PoPoLoCrois SIE owns the copyright for video games are credited as such in the 3DS game, so they had to have okayed it.

It's worth noting that judging by the figure Zhuge gave of $5m dollar gross in the US it's likely that Astral Chain sold more copies in Japan than W101 did worldwide, and worldwide figure will end up 10x higher or more.
I see your reply got sorta bundled with the quote so added it above.

Do we even have any sales data WW for TW101? I would think 250K MAX. More likely like half of that.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Yes, Wonderful 101 going multiplat is an outlier not proof Nintendo is changing their business model. Nintendo paid for Bayonetta 2 because they wanted an exclusive and they're doing the same for 3. The big difference between W101 and Bayonetta 2 is the former was a commercial failure. The IP isn't that valuable to Nintendo but Bayonetta is quite obviously valuable. Why else would Nintendo pay for a Bayonetta 3?

Out of the big 3 Nintendo is the only one who can't afford to let their IPs go third party. Nintendo needs them to push sales of their hardware. Wonderful 101 going third party is super shocking but an outlier nonetheless.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
TIL Bayonetta, which isn't even Nintendo's IP and after only a single exclusive entry that sold less than a million copies (when combining sales of both Switch and Wii U versions, per Nintendo's own report), became somehow a flagship franchise for Nintendo.
It really is though at this point. "Flagship" may be too big of a word, buy they definitely see it as extremely important title, especially since it got a sequel fully funded. Even the Wii U version of B2 easily outsold TW101.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

Nintendo, which is fully funding Bayonetta 3, making porting it to other consoles an absolutely ludicrous proposition, certainly considers it an important addition to its library.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Wonderful 101 going multiplat is an outlier not proof Nintendo is changing their business model. Nintendo paid for Bayonetta 2 because they wanted an exclusive and they're doing the same for 3. The big difference between W101 and Bayonetta 2 is the former was a commercial failure. The IP isn't that valuable to Nintendo but Bayonetta is quite obviously valuable. Why else would Nintendo pay for a Bayonetta 3?

Out of the big 3 Nintendo is the only one who can't afford to let their IPs go third party. Nintendo needs them to push sales of their hardware. Wonderful 101 going third party is super shocking but an outlier nonetheless.
And honestly, if TW102 or whatever ever happens, you can bet it almost surely will be a Nintendo exclusive, unless part of this deal with Platinum is giving platinum future say in the IP (doubtful)

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Who is saying Bayonetta is a flagship franchise? It doesn't have to be a flagship franchise to be important to Nintendo. I wouldn't describe Astral Chain as a flagship franchise and that's co-owned by Nintendo and Platinum.

I think the fact that Nintendo and Platinum already have Bayonetta and Astral Chain as active franchises is probably what helped Nintendo justify giving W101 to Platinum.

And honestly, if TW102 or whatever ever happens, you can bet it almost surely will be a Nintendo exclusive, unless part of this deal with Platinum is giving platinum future say in the IP (doubtful)

Oh yeah, it makes sense why Nintendo is allowing platinum to go third party but not actually selling the IP to them. They're clearly watching this to see how well it performs on Switch and if it does well we will be seeing W102 on Switch or Switch 2.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is an important IP for them. if it wasn't, they wouldn't bother licensing the IP a second time for bayo 3. it fills a hole in their lineup that they can't fill themselves.
and your number is wrong, it has certainly passed 1 million. it did ~700K on wii u and switch combined weeks after their respective launch.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I'm getting really nostalgic at seeing the old Bayonetta 2 Wii U arguments again.

Oct 31, 2017
That Nintendo "published" the Switch version of Octopath outside Japan is well-documented; there isn't a single piece of official information that lists WB as a co-publisher of LCU Wii U.

I mean, WB is most likely not as well implanted as SE or Koei Tecmo in Japan so it makes a lot of sense.

I'm fearing if it's monthly or irregular updates with no time frame that are far apart.

All eyes are on TW101R so I don't expect anything until they're done with the KS... So yeah, probably next month for Platinum 2.

That's close to TW101 case then ! :D

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see your reply got sorta bundled with the quote so added it above.

Do we even have any sales data WW for TW101? I would think 250K MAX. More likely like half of that.

If Zhuge's figure of $5m for the US is accurate(and it probably is), and we add the Japanese sales figures we have, it's more likely that W101 sold closer to 150k than 250k.