• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
While there's a lot about this story that is ridiculous, I'm glad she was able to be helped.

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever the fuck donated to her can go fuck themselves honestly, imagine donating to an idiot rather than charity. The fact that she was given this for free is complete BS as well.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is the American in this scenario? Sorry, not sure what you mean.
I'm pretty sure that the threat of her scalp actually turning into a serious health issue would be enough to make sure she got some sort of (semi-)free treatment here in Europe, don't you think so? And that's what I'm talking about, seems like the potential to turn serious at some point was here, though I'll admit that could be wrong, just judging from limited experience with hair related skin infection.

It was a more broad statement of mine about how many Americans think health care works in other countries, not only pertaining to this thread. I wish it worked like how some Americans thinks it works like.

As for this specific situation, I can't really tell because it's never happened before, I assume she wouldn't pay more than 350 euros here in the Netherlands.

JohnDusk

Oct 24, 2018
Come on people, have some compassion, will ya? We are supposed to be the good ones. How come there seems to be more and more hatred driven threads each day it passes? Maybe it's me getting old but I seriously don't get the lack of empathy and the rampant whataboutism of some of the posts in this forum.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Come on people, have some compassion, will ya? We are supposed to be the good ones. How come there seems to be more and more hatred driven threads each day it passes? Maybe it's me getting old but I seriously don't get the lack of empathy and the rampant whataboutism of some of the posts in this forum.
This website is full of white men, who seem to have a hard time having complex opinions or feeling. Everyone wants to have takes and never read past the OP.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have been out of this news for a while. I recall the consensus was sympathetic towards this individual when the news first appeared and now seeing the first couple of pages the attitude feels decidedly different. What's going on?

Also, I just a meme born of this and I have no idea whether posting it would be in bad taste.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Can we get a threadmark for her interview? Like, real talk. Because people are rolling in here constantly spreading disinformation about intent to sue.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have been out of this news for a while. I recall the consensus was sympathetic towards this individual when the news first appeared and now seeing the first couple of pages the attitude feels decidedly different. What's going on?

Also, I just a meme born of this and I have no idea whether posting it would be in bad taste.

TMZ had an article that she was talking to lawyers about suing , but it turns out she wasn't intending to sue.

As with all misinformation, once something sticks it.. sticks.

Jun 22, 2019
She hasn't said what her plan for the Go Fund Me money is yet, right?
Is everyone just pre-emptively bashing her now because she became the internet celebrity of the week and people are offended by how trivial e-fame is?
Or did I miss something?

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Glad she was able to get the shit removed without damage to her hair and scalp. but she'll still get some side-eye for how stupid her decision was...gorilla glue....like really?

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
This was the update I was waiting for. I expect this thread will have to get locked at some point. I don't know why people would be mad at her in this situation though. She fucked up but when health care can bankrupt someone in the US and you gain this much attention you're gonna go all in and gofundme, threaten lawsuit, and now get a free procedure done.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
So is this idiot just going to refund the GoFundMe money? Or did she just make 5 figures from a bunch of other idiots?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glad she was able to get the shit removed without damage to her hair and scalp. but she'll still get some side-eye for how stupid her decision was...gorilla glue....like really?

Haha People do dumb shit on accident all the time. It was a foolish and critical mistake, but guaranteed she's feeling the worst about it right now and probably doesn't need the social media dogpiling this has become. Just put yourself in her shoes if you can. :P

If she does somehow get it, she better donate it all to her surgeon or charity.

Oooh that would be swell.
Doctors are pretty stand-up folks about free treatments for totally ...out-there medical situations, I think it'd be a great gesture to give the money back into something else beneficial.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Haha People do dumb shit on accident all the time. It was a foolish and critical mistake, but guaranteed she's feeling the worst about it right now and probably doesn't need the social media dogpiling this has become. Just put yourself in her shoes if you can. :P

Oooh that would be swell.
Doctors are pretty stand-up folks about free treatments for totally ...out-there medical situations, I think it'd be a great gesture to give the money back into something else beneficial.
Sure, I just meant basically anyone else should get that money before her.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Iconic

L2J46zK.png

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Haha People do dumb shit on accident all the time. It was a foolish and critical mistake, but guaranteed she's feeling the worst about herself right now and probably doesn't need the social media dogpiling this has become. Just put yourself in her shoes if you can. :P

Hey I get it... I can never put myself in her shoes 100% I've wasted about a month of my life watching my Mom/sister/aunts/cousins getting their hair did.(The promise of free food was always a great motivator lol) As mentioned before the need for black's women hair be neat and or braided is astounding...then have to deal with white women wanting to touch it as well; happened to my sister DURING covid!

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so people are indeed just pre-emptively bashing due to being offended by the triviality of internet fame.
Basically.

Like why the fuck do y'all care so much about the money? Did you donate? Does she owe you money or something?

I guess people can't shit on her for trying to sue anymore so they had to find something else.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
There is something kind of wonderful about watching the surgeon handle her. There is a kindness in his motions that you don't see often. It's so nice when we take care of us. The care is just...different. I've seen so many hot takes about this entire thing unfolding, but my major takeaway has been the care that people have shown.

I'm glad she's okay.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
There is something kind of wonderful about watching the surgeon handle her. There is a kindness in his motions that you don't see often. It's so nice when we take care of us. The care is just...different. I've seen so many hot takes about this entire thing unfolding, but my major takeaway has been the care that people have shown.

I'm glad she's okay.
Yeah you can tell he really wanted to help a sister out, from the goodness of his heart. Very heartwarming, I love his whole attitude and demeanor.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Looks surprisingly good. Interesting science. Well diluted acetone in adhesive remover and skin lotion. Very fortunate for the outcome. Like melting a skateboard wheel. That the hair didn't break during its encasing is amazing.

12k for paint thinner? Or is that insurance and billed time?

I don't really get the need too. Cyanoacrylate is non-toxic and inert when dried. Eventually it would peel off. Heck, there's even medical versions of superglue for sutures.

Did she use some nasty GorillaGlue epoxy or something?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's post gorilla scalp world and she's clearly suffering in pain as her other half is trying to wash it off. She tried to use it to wax here you know ummm.....

I just can't understand...

Having seen what it does to the scalp, let's put it on the most sensitive area of the body, shall we

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Unless I missed something, she didn't know the product was super glue and thought it was a hair type of glue / gel? Least that's what I read a few days ago.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I missed something, she didn't know the product was super glue and thought it was a hair type of glue / gel? Least that's what I read a few days ago.
No, she knew it was super glue (said they already had it for crafts or something). She just thought it would wash out.

ET article said:
As she was in a hurry and leaving her home, Brown used the product on her hair after running out of actual hair spray, a decision, she admitted, she "definitely" regrets. The mother-of-five revealed that she had used the industrial strength adhesive before (though never on her hair), and believed she could "wash it right out."

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

She ran out of got2b and used Gorilla Glue Spray Adhesive thinking she could just wash it out later. Gorilla Glue is only washable while it's still wet.

Wait, she's suing over this?

TMZ ran an article claiming she was, but in an interview (posted somewhere in this thread) says she doesn't intend too.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

I'm glad she's okay.

Yeah, people need not throw stones in glass houses.

Everyone is going to have their own very bad day, one of these days. Let's hope there's someone like that Dr. When it happens.

The snide remarks remind me of that Lady who "just spilled coffee" on herself at Mcdonalds and the nastiness of people not realizing it was absurdly too hot and caused flesh and muscle destroying third degree burns on her legs.

She ran out of got2b and used Gorilla Glue Spray Adhesive thinking she could just wash it out later. Gorilla Glue is only washable while it's still wet.

Yikes. I didn't know they made spray on superglue! Apparently she didn't either 😬

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Gofundmes are "donator beware" so she can do whatever she wants with it. I've seen gofundmes on facebook for all sorts of situations like "I'm single / pregnant and can't afford this baby", "Timmy is in jail again and needs to make bail", "GF left me and can't afford rent this month", "I'm in college - after buying books don't have enough money for food". If you think its dumb then don't donate.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that she got the problem sorted but I won't deny that the lawsuit is sketch. What grounds does she really have to stand on?

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
12k for paint thinner? Or is that insurance and billed time?

I don't really get the need too. Cyanoacrylate is non-toxic and inert when dried. Eventually it would peel off. Heck, there's even medical versions of superglue for sutures.

Did she use some nasty GorillaGlue epoxy or something?
The full medical procedure over a few days it sounded like. The adhesive remover came from a manufacturer and the medical batch mixed in front of their reps.

The nontoxic properties of polyurethane kept this from being more serious. The doc did stress she's still very lucky there weren't complications.

It's been refered to as a glue and as an epoxy. What she used was in a single canister, however it works.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
My only problem with her was the lawsuit news, but apparently that shit was fake so she good on my book. Go enjoy life now, and don't make such a stupid mistake again please.

Gridman

Oct 25, 2017
I can't begin to imagine how awful it would feel to have your hair super glued like that. Would drive me nuts after the first day. Glad it's all taken care of now. Hope there aren't any lingering side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.