• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posting my MG Freedom 2.0 here for posterity. Man, I'm so proud of this guy:
qviQzaY.jpg

Last edited:

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I've never made a Gunpla (Gundam?)

Was recently really inspired to see the how cool these can be on a recent visit to Japan.

If i want to build one that's still cool, for someone with zero prior knowledge, what should i go for?

Also i live in the UK so anywhere i can buy from here would be even better but i don't mind importing.

Thanks in advance :)

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia

Was recently really inspired to see the how cool these can be on a recent visit to Japan.

If i want to build one that's still cool, for someone with zero prior knowledge, what should i go for?

Also i live in the UK so anywhere i can buy from here would be even better but i don't mind importing.

What's your skill level when it comes to models? You mention zero knowledge but I'm not sure if you are talking about Gundam or plastic models.
What budget do you have?
What do you find "cool"? Something like Sinanju or more like Strike Freedom?

ebsy

Feb 25, 2018
Thanks a lot for this thread!

I only very recently started to get into Gunpla (like a couple of weeks ago)
I've done stuff in the past with Warhammer/Malifaux and built the odd plastic kit but I've always had a passing interest in Japanese Mecha and I found a shop locally that sold a few Gunpla kits. I couldn't believe they were snap kits and didn't require glue or paint.

I also couldn't believe how inexpensive they are for what you get (Games Workshop prices anyone?)
I left the shop with a HG Gundam 00 and finished it slowly over the course of a day. I put him on my shelf and I was really proud. No glue, no paint, a couple of stickers, cool pose. done.

Then an itch started...A few days later I got online and did some research. I found a some cool youtubers who reviewed all the gunpla kits. I looked up panel lining and saw that all the weathering/drybrushing techniques were all the same as my Warhammer days. I got on HobbyLink Japan and made...one or two orders. Now I can't wait until they get here! I'll post some pictures when I can.

Also, everyone always looks at the front of their kits but don't forget to appreciate the backs, I only really notice when dusting but there's a lot of detail back there!

Is that the RG Astray? loving that panel lining work.

Posting my MG Freedom 2.0 here for posterity. Man, I'm so proud of this guy:

Love that kit! Amazing!

I'm a newbie myself but everyone just recommends picking a HG (High Grade) that looks cool for you. You really can't go wrong.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

Like Ebsy says it's simple to pick an HG you like. They are simple to build. The current best HGs in terms of detail are the most recent ones, mainly the ones marked "The Origin". I think I've heard good things about all of them.

It's not a big deal though, just pick a design you like.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
What's your skill level when it comes to models? You mention zero knowledge but I'm not sure if you are talking about Gundam or plastic models.
What budget do you have?
What do you find "cool"? Something like Sinanju or more like Strike Freedom?

like, zero with any plastic models of any sort. Total beginner.

Budget wise, i guess, none? If it was cool enough i would buy it. The only thing i would want to be careful of is starting on something i didn't have the skill for, and right now that skill is 0%

I'm not even that familiar with the different types. I guess , the more modern looking ones? (sorry if i sound like a complete noob)

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I want to give a try at modeling, I have a childhood trauma about a model plane I try to build with the help of my parents and ended up broken during building

where to start?

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
I want to give a try at modeling, I have a childhood trauma about a model plane I try to build with the help of my parents and ended up broken during building

where to start?

Several companies like Revell and Airfix do starter sets, they're usually smaller (like 1/72) scale kits boxed together with some glue, a brush and a few paints - enough to get started without having to go out and buy those things separately. They're also typically the less-complicated kits and here in the UK are around £10, with a variety of different categories (tanks, boats, planes, Star Wars etc). I think they'd be a good starting point, they cheap enough that it doesn't really matter if it goes badly and they're intended for beginners anyway.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Ive seen those airfix starter kits at Barnes and Noble before, no idea if they still carry them.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
like, zero with any plastic models of any sort. Total beginner.

Budget wise, i guess, none? If it was cool enough i would buy it. The only thing i would want to be careful of is starting on something i didn't have the skill for, and right now that skill is 0%

I'm not even that familiar with the different types. I guess , the more modern looking ones? (sorry if i sound like a complete noob)
Then, as others have said if you have zero experience, get a High Grade as your first model. Skill isn't too much of a problem, there's hardly any High Grade kits that are not recommendable for a beginner. If your main concern is cool factor I'd say get a look at the High Grade Sinanju for what one could call the "Ferrari" of gunpla when it comes to aesthetics. But cool can mean something different to different people. Some like the angel wings of Wing Zero Custom others like the asymmetry of Nu Gundam.
Just google images of the names I put in this or my previous post, tell us what you like and we can direct you further.

Last edited:

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Then, as others have said if you have zero experience, get a High Grade as your first model. Skill isn't too much of a problem, there's hardly any High Grade kits that are not recommendable for a beginner. If your main concern is cool factor I'd say get a look at the High Grade Sinanju for what one could call the "Ferrari" of gunpla when it comes to aesthetics. But cool can mean something different to different people. Some like the angel wings of Wing Zero Custom others like the asymmetry of Nu Gundam.
Just google images of the names I put in this or my previous post, tell us what you like and we can direct you further.

From a google i really like the Wing Zero Custom stuff.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
From a google i really like the Wing Zero Custom stuff.
Unfortunatley the Wing Zero Custom doesn't have a decent High-Grade (there's an old one I'm told isn't comparable to today's kits). You could get the Real Grade but it may be a bit complex for a first build (unless you are really adventurous).
Wing variants that have a recent High Grade model are the following: Wing Gundam, Wing Gundam Zero, Wing Gundam Zero Honoo, Gundam Fenice Rinascita. None have angel wings, though.
Other "winged" mobile suits include the Hi-Nu, the Freedom (posted above in Master Grade form) and the Strike Freedom.

Last edited:

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
you definitely do not want the Wing Zero Custom HG kits - those are all from the mid to late 90s. Bandai still cranks them out every year.

I don't know if the WZC got an updated MG kit recently, but the MG i know of is old. The WZC PG kit is also quite old. The only real recent kit that I can think of is the RG, or the Hi-Res model.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
you definitely do not want the Wing Zero Custom HG kits - those are all from the mid to late 90s. Bandai still cranks them out every year.

I don't know if the WZC got an updated MG kit recently, but the MG i know of is old. The WZC PG kit is also quite old. The only real recent kit that I can think of is the RG, or the Hi-Res model.
The WZC MG has not been updated. The "recent" MG Wing model is the Wing Proto Zero from 2013 that is closer to the TV Wing Zero but I believe a bit modernized.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this pretty lady at a local store today and I just had to pick her up! I'm gonna put her together this weekend and will post pics.
oKlC79m.jpg

On a sidenote, I hate BotW so much. It's taking away from my plastic building time ;(

Last edited:

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For beginners, I'd personally recommend any of the 1/100 Non-grade IBO kits. They have big pieces, straight forward build, and looks great out of the box. After that you can go straight to MG or RG.

I personally see no reason to do an HG, unless the kit you want has no other grade available, or you want a 1/144 scale but an RG isn't available. I started on a 1/100 NG Barbatos 6th Form as my first kit, then went straight to RG Strike on my second.

Just make sure to buy a good sidecutter and xacto knife. They are investments and will be used for a long time.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I personally see no reason to do an HG
It's mostly a matter of cost for those unsure whether they want to commit to the hobby or not. Most HG can be bought cheaper than most NG 1/100. The mobile suit selection is usually an order of magnitude better so the "has no other grade available" can be a frequent occurrence depending on what kind of mobile suits one is interested in.

On a different note, I do not understand this obsession with the Revive kits. They are good as an alternative to the obsolete kits they replace if you are interested in those specific mobile suits but any recent HG kit is usually as good as the Revive ones. The difference being that the non Revive ones had never gotten a kit previously.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a different note, I do not understand this obsession with the Revive kits. They are good as an alternative to the obsolete kits they replace if you are interested in those specific mobile suits but any recent HG kit is usually as good as the Revive ones. The difference being that the non Revive ones had never gotten a kit previously.
Probably in reference to RX-78-2 as that would be the most popular beginner kit.

Any HG released during 00 and later is mostly pretty good (polycap shoulders and 180 degree joints). Some new kits are based on old ones though so there isn't any one straightforward rule to follow (like that horrible Tristan, or some GBF kits that have very old base kits). I haven't tried any Revive kit yet, but maybe they're always guaranteed to be 100% new runners?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know, I haven't built a revive yet but I expect it to be all new runners except polycaps, beam saber effect parts and maybe standard weapons.
I do know that Reconguista kits are almost all excellent, no runner reuse obviously and no 1/100 alternative so if one likes the design they are a good buy.
Honestly, if someone isn't into Gundam as an anime, I doubt RX-78-2 (no matter how iconic it is) is the mobile suit a beginner would choose for its looks. It is very late 70s.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't know, I haven't built a revive yet but I expect it to be all new runners except polycaps, beam saber effect parts and maybe standard weapons.
I do know that Reconguista kits are almost all excellent, no runner reuse obviously and no 1/100 alternative so if one likes the design they are a good buy.
Honestly, if someone isn't into Gundam as an anime, I doubt RX-78-2 (no matter how iconic it is) is the mobile suit a beginner would choose for its looks. It is very late 70s.
It's also very clean design wise without being overwhelming in detail, that's why it's a classic, and my personal favorite(and I just started watching Gundam last month, although I've seen the design before). There's something to be said about how a clean simple design tends to age better than busy ones

Everyone has different tastes of course, and with its price point I'm super happy about hg because I can afford to grab one on a monthly basis for a relaxing weekend. Right now I couldn't afford that with rg, mg or pg. although now I want the g fighter to go with it... saw the awesome looking mg, but is there a good standalone hg one?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
K, thought I'd check, guess I'll wait till I'm ready for a challenge later this year and look into the mg G-Fighter

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
The revive Gouf uses runners from the HGBF Gouf R35, which might disappoint some, but the R35 is quite new anyway.

I think people rep them because marketing works. They're pretty cheap too. It's cool that some of them can do full JCVD splits, but it's not *really* necessary. I think their better panel lines and fewer seams is more important to me. As a beginner, changing those is a big task.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
K, thought I'd check, guess I'll wait till I'm ready for a challenge later this year and look into the mg G-Fighter
The thing is the MG G Fighter IS standalone so you'd have to buy an additional MG RX-78-2 (it's compatible with the Ver. 2.0 not sure about others) if you want to display it in any of the combination forms.
The revive Gouf uses runners from the HGBF Gouf R35
Build Fighters kits being used to justify a new kit for an old MS is a common occurrence like Wing Gundam, Aile Strike, EZ-8 and a bunch of others.

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
With Gundam kits, do old kits usually get replaced or updated? 10+ years ago i built a few of the Gundam Wing kits, a Deathscythe and HeavyArms, and i remember looking them up a few months ago and seeing the box was still the same as the one i had, not just the artwork but seemingly the whole box layout. Does that mean it could still be the same kit after all this time?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh cool, i didn't realise i could get these on amazon.

Ok if i get this one, what sort of tools do i need to get at the same time?

Bonus points for amazon links : D
You need a pair of nippers and a small utility knife/exacto knife but that's about it
With Gundam kits, do old kits usually get replaced or updated? 10+ years ago i built a few of the Gundam Wing kits, a Deathscythe and HeavyArms, and i remember looking them up a few months ago and seeing the box was still the same as the one i had, not just the artwork but seemingly the whole box layout. Does that mean it could still be the same kit after all this time?
Same kit, apparently most kits get reprinted for the most part

xEik i know, although my line of thinking was that it'd be a good easier step into mg rather than starting with a standard mobile suit due to the larger style panels and lack of major joints

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm looking for 1/48 scale military models. Mostly modern but WW2 stuff would be cool too.

I know it's not a popular scale but it's pretty good scale for 28mm miniatures.

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
I'm looking for 1/48 scale military models. Mostly modern but WW2 stuff would be cool too.

I know it's not a popular scale but it's pretty good scale for 28mm miniatures.

Tamiya have a range of 1/48 Military models, mostly WW2 stuff but there's a few slightly later things like the Abrams and several Japan Self Defense Force vehicles.

Airfix also made a few 1/48 scale modern British Army models - Landrovers, Warrior IFV, Supracat etc.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bandai reprints even the oldest of kits. If the box is the same, then it's definitely the same one as you remember. Sometimes they also repackage kits, so the box art could be different but the kit is the same with very minor differences.

Newer Wing kits are the RGs (Wing EW, Wing Zero Custom, Tallgeese), the MG Wing TV, MG Wing Zero Proto EW, and I don't follow HGs, but I believe there's a Revive Wing kit, and also the HG Leo.

Marketing-wise, I'm a sucker for anything that's GEP branded (Gunpla Evolution Project).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
If the box looks the same it's exactly the same old kit (a reprint probably).
Some kits do get modernized like all the Ver. 2.0 kits for Master Grades and Revive for High Grades.
The RX-78-2 is at a whole different level having just for Master Grades, without counting recolors, the 1.0, 1.5, Ver. Ka, One Year War, Ver. 2.0, Ver. 3.0 and The Origin all being quite different kits except the 1.5 that only has minor modifications from the 1.0.

Last edited:

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Those old Wing HG/no grade kits have been the same since my freshman year of college (my first gunpla was the 1/100 EW Heavyarms Custom). And I'm fuckin' old now.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boxarts for some stuff coming out this month:

hguc-unicorn-phenex-destroy-mode-narrative-ver%2B%25281%2529.jpg

re100-vigna-ghina-box-art-and-official-images%2B%25281%2529.jpg

And a PV for that Gundam Base exclusive light up RG Unicorn.

Last edited:

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of cool models in this thread. I remember getting a model gunpla as a kid, thinking there was a fully assembled figure inside and being very disappointed. The previous thread got me interested in trying it again lol. I got a smaller gunpla, Beam Master and used a gundam marker and some flat coat after that. I was kinda surprised at how it turned out

2sagmzs.jpg

Dear lord all the little bits that stick out after you nip them out of the rack, I gave up trying to hide all the little white marks and figured I'd just mark over them, but that didn't work so well. There has to be an easier way to get them off. I went out and got another, bigger gunpla last week, Kimaris Booster Type, and did the same thing there. I like how they look, I guess I was going for a slightly used appearance

zusfx3.jpg

I really liked the inner skeleton, it was a very fun thing to make. I want a Custom Heavy Arms next I think. I don't know, something with really big pauldrons.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Boy, it's amazing how much detail simple panel lining with Gundam markers can add... perhaps after I finish my current 'wave' of 6 HG's I'll finally invest in a pack and give it a go then(and give me something to work on between kits)

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm building one of the most unusual OYW Zaku IIs right now. Have you seen the Kycilia Forces Act Zaku? I saw it at the hobby store and picked it up on a whim. The design seems to have the other-worldly flair of Zeon with the sleek, practical design of EFSF. Oddly enough, the legs reminded me of the Jesta. That's all I've built so far, but any time I get to build something I haven't built before, I jump at the chance.

hg-yms-11-act-zaku-kycilia-forces-custom-gundam-the-origin-ver-gp.jpg

It also has unique weapons, which is somewhat rare for Zeonic suits, but I see Origin doing it a lot. I think the Origin Zaku II is the finest HG ever made, so I have high hopes for this.

ebsy

Feb 25, 2018
I gave up trying to hide all the little white marks and figured I'd just mark over them, but that didn't work so well. There has to be an easier way to get them off.
Great job on those! I especially like the colours. As for nubs, use a hobby knife and a sanding stick. Getting rid of the nubs makes a difference in overall finish.

Kycilia Forces Act Zaku
Loving that Zaku! I've got the RG regular and Char on the way to me

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
All these beautiful mecha...

The interior paint is pretty sloppy, I just don't have a steady enough hand for this kind of detail.
fMEfGJw.png
NccwgoT.png

At least it'll be mostly hidden when the rest is complete.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have suggestions for specific gunships or attack helicopter kits? I was looking at an AH-64 Apache, MH-53 Pave Low, or Mi-24 Hind.

And does anyone have online retailers you like for military kits? Nevermind, I see the bottom of the OP lists a few websites.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered some Mr. Hobby and some water decals. The experiment is to put the RG set on the HG Char's Zaku 2. I know it works with the Rx78. Seemed interesting to me and didn't have to add another box to the closet.